With the open world pvp armor set coming soon i was wondering...

I was just curious why they decided to make another set of leg armor when they all ready had 3 ways of obtaining a set, yet still only two ways to get a ring one of which is unique and one of which is horribly time gated and requires 20 hours a week for 6 weeks time investment?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Bordone.1053 said:

I was just curious why they decided to make another set of leg armor when they all ready had 3 ways of obtaining a set

Because people spent the best part of 5 years talking about it constantly. Threads would go on for weeks / months and when it was closed another one would pop up ~2 weeks later.

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

Do you know what really isn't time gated? Getting all the ascended rings you want with unbound/volatile magic. I get all I want just from season 3, never had any desire to put the effort in for legendary trinkets. But I can see the advantage of having the legendary versions.

Maybe the next expansion will add another legendary ring. Hopefully without taking away functionality.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bordone.1053 said:

I was just curious why they decided to make another set of leg armor when they all ready had 3 ways of obtaining a set, yet still only two ways to get a ring one of which is unique and one of which is horribly time gated and requires 20 hours a week for 6 weeks time investment?

It doesn't matter how many avenues to obtain legendary armor there were. It matters how big percentage of the populace they covered. And the answer is - not very big. Majority of players simply do not play either of those 3 types of content (or do not play them to a degree where they could reasonably obtain a set).

In short: they introduced OW set, because most players play in OW, and do not raid, play WvW or SPvP.

And yes, that likely means at some time we'll see OW (or LS) rings as well.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It doesn't matter how many avenues to obtain legendary armor there were. It matters how big percentage of the populace they covered. And the answer is - not very big. Majority of players simply do not play either of those 3 types of content (or do not play them to a degree where they could reasonably obtain a set).

In short: they introduced OW set, because most players play in OW, and do not raid, play WvW or SPvP.

But how big a percentage of open world players actually use the QOL feature on the regular?  The answer is not very big. 

Most players will not change builds 3 or more times a day to react to a changing battle field. I imagine its still at least 30% that have ascd gear, but not a coherent build. 

Legendary armor doesn’t alleviate that, so the justification is still the weakest. And its pretty hard to get lower than Legendary PVP armor, since that mode doesn’t even use armor slots.  

• Like 5
  • Confused 7

21 hours ago, Bordone.1053 said:

I was just curious why they decided to make another set of leg armor when they all ready had 3 ways of obtaining a set

Because the PvE one is locked behind Raids, which is played by so few players that Anet had to stop working on them.

In other words the large majority of PvE players had no access to PvE legy armor.

As for legy rings, probably it's because it's 1 ring vs. a whole armor set. The armor set gets the higher priority.
I think it's likely that we get another ring option with the next expansion. Maybe also more options for other trinkets.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

15 hours ago, starlinvf.1358 said:

But how big a percentage of open world players actually use the QOL feature on the regular?  The answer is not very big. 

Most players will not change builds 3 or more times a day to react to a changing battle field. I imagine its still at least 30% that have ascd gear, but not a coherent build. 

Legendary armor doesn’t alleviate that, so the justification is still the weakest. And its pretty hard to get lower than Legendary PVP armor, since that mode doesn’t even use armor slots.  

Yes. Most players will not change builds very often. Most players do not go for legendaries either. People that do, no matter which content they achieve that goal through, are generally not average. As such, that "argument" is pretty moot.

And as for SPvP legendary armor, there's no actual use for it in that mode at all. It's not even useable for a primary role SPvP-focused rewards would have (vanity/prestige) because it does not have an unique legendary skin. Saying that OW legendary armor has less use than that is just flat out untrue, as no matter how you count, there's more use of legendary armor in OW (where at least some players can take advantage of its QoL) than in SPvP (where noone can do that).

Well, unless you also consider the free transmutation ability, in which case OW still wins.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

On 1/31/2024 at 12:29 AM, Pifil.5193 said:

I think they simply needed a big selling point for their first mini expansion. Open world legendary armour was one of the most commonly requested features since HoT added raid armour.

I think that's exactly what it is. They added another way to get armor because they wanted to sell the expansion.

17 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yes. Most players will not change builds very often. Most players do not go for legendaries either. People that do, no matter which content they achieve that goal through, are generally not average. As such, that "argument" is pretty moot.

I wouldn't say it's exactly "moot", considering you just based your previous post on "covering big percentage of the populace". If anything, he (and now you) explained exactly why your argument didn't matter either.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

On 1/30/2024 at 9:45 PM, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Funniest thing: most GW2 players hate most of GW2.  That's why they decided to introduce mindless grind armor instead of telling people to play WvW/PvP/Raids.  

All together, WvW/PvP/Raids make up maybe 15% of the entire game. Those of us who don't care those three game modes in fact enjoy 85% of the game.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I wouldn't say it's exactly "moot", considering you just based your previous post on "covering big percentage of the populace". If anything, he (and now you) explained exactly why your argument didn't matter either.

Then you should probably look at my post once again. Because it seems you read from it something else than i actually wrote.

Hint: Most players do not change builds very often, indeed, but the point you seem to be missing is that also applies to those playing non-OW content. People that are active enough (and engaged enough) with the game to go for legendaries however are far more likely to do so. And that's equally true of OW players as it is of those playing other content.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

15 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Hint: Most players do not change builds very often, indeed, but the point you seem to be missing is that also applies to those playing non-OW content. People that are active enough (and engaged enough) with the game to go for legendaries however are far more likely to do so. And that's equally true of OW players as it is of those playing other content.

But fact it: Calling it an "Open World" Legendary Armor is deceptive. In fact, it is a Kryptis/Rift Hunt Legendary Armor. 99.9999% of GW2's open world and its contents were simply ignored when they decided the means by which to obtain the Obsidian Armor.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8

On 1/31/2024 at 12:59 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

That's the long and the short of it.

And also because they wanted more long-term goals for OW players

Not sure about this one though. OW/LS already has an amulet and two earpieces and legendary earpieces are only available through OW/LS PvE. So it seems unlikely that they'll do that. 

22 hours ago, starlinvf.1358 said:

It depends on which QoL feature you mean.

22 hours ago, starlinvf.1358 said:

I would say that's true and that particular QoL feature will not be used a whole lot. However, there are more QoL features like free reskins and being able to equip legendary gear on all eligible characters on your account. I'll be honest. I do WvW a lot these days but I was one of those OW PvE'ers for a long time. Still am in a way. Now I've gotten better at builds but I'm not interested in the combat system really. I used to be an active raider in another MMO for years but here the boon system just kills it for me.

So before the legendary armory came about, I had zero interest in legendaries. But since then I've been getting a lot of legendaries. In fact I have the WvW legendaries almost complete (just need 3 more pieces for the medium armor sets and I'm done), and I have a lot of weapons also. And I get them for primarily the QoL feature of being able to equip them on all my characters. I have 20 of them after all. 

And OW players tend to have more characters and of course free reskins are a good feature for fashion wars. So yeah, the QoL feature of changing builds on the fly is not going to be used much by OW players but the other two are very welcome QoL features of leggy gear.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

29 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

But fact it: Calling it an "Open World" Legendary Armor is deceptive. In fact, it is a Kryptis/Rift Hunt Legendary Armor. 99.9999% of GW2's open world and its contents were simply ignored when they decided the means by which to obtain the Obsidian Armor.

Yes, and for that reason i still consider this design as an overall fail for the purpose of introducing OW legendary armor. Still, better than nothing, i guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 8

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Then you should probably look at my post once again. Because it seems you read from it something else than i actually wrote.

Ok, I took a look at it once again and this is exactly what I saw:

It doesn't matter how many avenues to obtain legendary armor there were. It matters how big percentage of the populace they covered.

Is this not exactly what you wrote?

Most players not going for legendaries doesn't change that most players limiting themselves to ow still don't and won't juggle builds. It's not really about "how big percentage of the populace they covered", but more about "how big percentage of the populace that has actual use case for legendaries they covered". You saying that it's somehow important to cover majority of the populace [which is in ow] means nothing when that majority doesn't care about the legendaries anyways.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Most players not going for legendaries doesn't change that most players limiting themselves to ow still don't and won't juggle builds. It's not really about "how big percentage of the populace they covered", but more about "how big percentage of the populace that has actual use case for legendaries they covered". You saying that it's somehow important to cover majority of the populace [which is in ow] means nothing when that majority doesn't care about the legendaries anyways.

I am as casual OW as one can probably get.  I will never chase legendaries.  Not worth my time/effort.  I will, however, change builds from time to time depending on what I'm doing whether it's solo roaming or running around with a few friends or running with the world boss train.  But for that, I just use the templates since I don't have a whole lot of different options that would make any significant difference for that type of content.  Just my $0.02

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Unless you count "lots of time spent" I'm also in the "casual OW" camp, but I do enjoy my QoL and so have full sets of weapons, runes and sigils. I'm not particularly collecting for the new armor yet, more of waiting to see what's all involved before I commit. I don't change armor often enough that ascended doesn't suit me, but if the new armor is within reach (by my standards), then I'll go for it.

I do get tired of my "main" and switch it up fairly frequently, so legendary armors would be nice.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Legendary armour is a much bigger deal than a legendary ring. You get a new, impressive skin on the legendary armour, and you also get the ability to change the biggest parts of your character's appearance for free. Sure, that's only cosmetic, but it's a big thing that a legendary ring doesn't give you.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Most players not going for legendaries doesn't change that most players limiting themselves to ow still don't and won't juggle builds.

And? Most Raid players won't juggle builds either. Your point? Do you actually know how many non raid (compared to raid) players change their builds? Do you know how many would do that if they had legendaries?

Besides, there are other reasons for why someone might want a legendary (ability to skin change, ability to easily equip alts, and future proofing. Or someone might just want a longterm goal and legendaries are a very good target for that). And none of those are in any way related to which content player likes playing most.

It's not really about "how big percentage of the populace they covered", but more about "how big percentage of the populace that has actual use case for legendaries they covered". You saying that it's somehow important to cover majority of the populace [which is in ow] means nothing when that majority doesn't care about the legendaries anyways.

No. It's actually about "how big percentage of the populace that might want legendaries they covered". It's not up to you to decide whether someone "will have actual use" for legendaries (based on the only factor of them you seem to care about). It's up to them to decide whether they want to pursue a legendary journey (and why). Notice also, that there are players that do not actually go for legendaries, but still want that option open to them. And it's also not up to you to decide which of them have the right to do so and which do not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

29 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

And? Most Raid players won't juggle builds either. Your point?

My point is still that first you're talking about "it mattering how big percentage of the populace is covered" then that "most players won't go for it anyways" and then finally that "that's not what you wrote". The point isn't exactly who swaps builds how much, it's how you flail between "covering biggest % of playerbase" right before saying "biggest % doesn't go for it anyways". And depending whether you or the other person said it, it was either a great argument for it or a moot point.

29 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Notice also, that there are players that do not actually go for legendaries, but still want that option open to them.

🤦‍♂️ 
The only thing this sentence made me notice is that you're visibly struggling with what you're trying to make up on the spot. But sure, I always don't want to get things but want, um, an option I won't use or something.

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I am as casual OW as one can probably get.  I will never chase legendaries.  Not worth my time/effort.  I will, however, change builds from time to time depending on what I'm doing whether it's solo roaming or running around with a few friends or running with the world boss train.  But for that, I just use the templates since I don't have a whole lot of different options that would make any significant difference for that type of content.  Just my $0.02

ok, so you agree that it's not really directed at that majority of populace and going for legendary isn't really worth it for you? Majority of casual populace sticks to one build on one class.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

56 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

My point is still that first you're talking about "it mattering how big percentage of the populace is covered" then that "most players won't go for it anyways" and then finally that "that's not what you wrote". The point isn't exactly who swaps builds how much, it's how you flail between "covering biggest % of playerbase" right before saying "biggest % doesn't go for it anyways". And depending whether you or the other person said it, it was either a great argument for it or a moot point.

Almost as if, you know, i wasn't talking about the same "biggest" here...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5