Crafting a legendary Relict needs 18'750 Pile of Lucent Crystal? Really?

I did make the rune in advance.  So instead of staring at needing a zillion lucents, I was able to make and sell two Facets for a nice little profit on something I was drowning in.

Of course this doesn't help people that held off because rune costs went up so sharply after the announcement, or people that join the game later.  But at least motes drop so much that 2500 mat storage still overflows with them even when they turn into piles at a cost of 10 per.  It won't be an instant gratification for those who are crafting the Facets and have to wait for the motes to fill their coffers, but it also won't be terribly hard to eventually accrue the needed motes over time just by playing and salvaging.  So long as the drop rate isn't nerfed, anyway.

13 hours ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Pro tip : you don't have to hoard all the component unrefined at the same time

I also invite you to look at the mithril and elder wood requirement for gen2 legendaries (Release in the golden HoT Era, for reference)

The elder wood and mithril requirement is the reason i didnt craft those. 

( Got the relic via rune btw. )

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Pro tip : you don't have to hoard all the component unrefined at the same time

I also invite you to look at the mithril and elder wood requirement for gen2 legendaries (Release in the golden HoT Era, for reference)

Not all Gen 2 lege's.  The 'true gen 2' or original ones (Nevermore, Chuka, Astralaria, and H.O.P.E.) don't require the mat sink.  

I also don't like this spin of everyone comparing the lege relic to a gen 2 when you all know you went the rune copout method; can't let that taint the vision for the new players.  It's a ridiculous amount of crystals no matter what way you look at it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

56 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I also don't like this spin of everyone comparing the lege relic to a gen 2 when you all know you went the rune copout method; can't let that taint the vision for the new players.  It's a ridiculous amount of crystals no matter what way you look at it.

Currently the cost of making a legendary relic is sitting just shy of 1000 gold total. The cost of the gift of relics is just shy of 700 of that gold, so the item that takes all of those lucent crystals makes up nearly 3/4 of the total cost of the relic. This is all taking into account that materials to create the relic are higher than they normally would be since it *just* came out and people had also been hiking up the cost of lucent crystals when they were rushing out legendary runes last month. The cost of the relic is currently artificially high, and will likely be some degree cheaper in a year or two.

Compare that to, say, Aurora for instance, which at the moment from scratch costs over 1900 gold. And that doesn't even include the grind to get all of the untradeable currencies and items it also needs.

I'd say the relic is still a steal by comparison to other leggies. The total number of crystals doesn't really matter when they still work out to be cheaper than a lot of other mats for a lot of other legendaries. Nobody is making anyone hoard up 70 stacks of crystals in their bank, you can refine them 3 stacks at a time.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

I dislike this expansion and the direction its going in, i wish they had stuck with cantha

Agreed, Cantha needed to be expanded more beside Gyala. SotO has been a total delusion so far: strong advertisement for new open world legendary armor, useless for those who already had it, unnecessary introduction of relics, unrewarding meta events, horrendous delivery of last map divided in 3 (just take your time to make the expansion but release when it's fully completed, not 2/3 completed and last 1/3 splitted in 3 parts, that's unbearable), lot of recycled models and movesets all over and very few new ones. The only good additions were the vault (which is just a glorified merchant with its own currency and nice deals but not actual content), the strikes and the additional weapons (even though in previous expansions we had new weapons AND elite specs). 

I really hope the new expansion will be much different from this one.

Edited by Zaraki.5784
  • Confused 3

19 hours ago, Dayra.7405 said:

It needs 18'750 Pile of Lucent Crystal (that are 75 Stacks) which are 187'500 Lucent Mot (750 Stacks)?

While not wrong, actually you just need 25 Mystic Facets. You can purchase these off the TP. That means only 27 people need to sell one Facet (3 stacks of Lucent Crystal). This costs a total of about 850g if you purchase all of them right now. Inevitably, the cost will also go down. For comparison it costs 188g for a Gift of Condensed Magic and 111g for a Gift of Condensed Might. You need two of each to craft a gen2 leggy, totaling 598g in farmable materials. Gen2 legendries also require many more mystic clovers/coins. To craft something like Nevermore you need 15,360 Elder Wood, 4,500 Hard Wood, 2,250 Seasoned Wood, 3,000 Soft Wood, and so on. So, is it really that outrageous?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, welcome to legendary crafting.

Edited by firedragon.8953
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Not all Gen 2 lege's.  The 'true gen 2' or original ones (Nevermore, Chuka, Astralaria, and H.O.P.E.) don't require the mat sink.  

For what it's worth I didn't use the "rune copout method" and I think it's a reasonable comparison. It looks like a lot when you compare lucent motes to thinks like elder wood and mithril, but that's because you need 10 of them to make 1 pile of lucent crystals and they have a much higher drop rate. You need 75 stacks of lucent crystals for the legendary relic, and 24 stacks of elder wood and 24 stacks of elder wood planks and 38 stacks of mithril ingots to make Claw of the Khan-Ur (I picked a one-handed weapon on the assumption they'd use the least materials.) You also need a lot of other materials so a weapon ends up more expensive overall, but then it also has more utility. Also I just checked and while Astralaria doesn't require as much elder wood and mithril the total cost is just under 200g cheaper than Claw of the Khan-Ur, (in spite of requiring a lot more steps to craft) - 2237g for the Claw, 2042g for Astralaria - so I'm not sure it's accurate to say the first 4 gen 2 weapons aren't a mat sink, they just aren't as much of a sink for those specific materials.

Also apparently until shortly after the patch the cost of crafting a legendary relic was just over 300g. It's gone up since then because presumably a lot of people chose to wait and are trying to do it now. I'm not sure why, I chose to wait too, but I'm also going to wait for the prices to settle and almost certainly go down before I start making it. I understand waiting instead of making a rune in advance to get it right away, but I don't understand waiting and then rushing when it's available.

(I chose to wait partially because I want to craft the relic, not get it as a compensation prize for something else, and because I think having just 1 legendary rune would be annoying, if I ever do craft them I'll want to make 6 together and I wasn't ready to do that.)

• Thanks 1

I think it was a big mistake for them to let people get this for free by simply crafting 1 rune. Did people with only 1 rune need to be compensated? They should have made it for anyone with 6 runes, since that's what it took to get the final rune effect that was removed.

It's just a kick in the nuts that this item is overpriced and tedious when it could have been gotten cheaper and simpler a week ago. Which I did, but it feels dirty.

People comparing the cost/materials to gen2 legendaries are out of their minds. A gen 2 legendary gives an awesome skin with footfalls, draw effects, and unique sounds and projectiles.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

I suspect that if they had required people have 6 legendary runes to get the legendary relic, there would have been a lot more outcry (no way to craft that many in that short a time period - which might be true given you need provisioner tokens which are time gated) and would have thrown the material market into even more turmoil as people tried to buy the mats needed to complete their rune set.

Now someone who had no legendary runes might not try for all 6, but someone with 4?  Make 2 to get the legendary relic?  Hard to say.

Now I crafted my legendary rune to get my relic, but if I hadn't, I would feel fairly disappointed in that I basically missed a pretty steep free item.  This isn't the first time that people who did something at the right time got something for free, but this might be the biggest one in terms of value.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 3:39 AM, Dayra.7405 said:

I looked at the crafting tree of  the new Legendary Relict in gw2efficiency.

It needs 18'750 Pile of Lucent Crystal (that are 75 Stacks) which are 187'500 Lucent Mot (750 Stacks)?

That's 37.5 times as much as is needed for a legenday rune! Really? Is this a bug or crazyness or do we get a 20k material storage expansion and a stack size increase to 2500 and a crafting speed increase by factor 10-100 soon?

And it's a pseudo legendary that will require you to unlock all the new relics introduced after Sinks of the Objects.  I mean Secrets of the Obscure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Yaki.9563 said:

People comparing the cost/materials to gen2 legendaries are out of their minds. A gen 2 legendary gives an awesome skin with footfalls, draw effects, and unique sounds and projectiles.

Not really. Comparing prices on GW2efficiency at this very moment, the relic currently costs around half of what most gen 2 weapons cost and *doesn't* require any form of untradeable time investment like map completion or currency collection. You can get everything for the relic, even provisioner tokens, in 1 single day if you have the gold for it.

Half the gold for no visual effects seems like a fair comparison to make.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I imagine this will eventually be the least valuable legendary. I just can't bring myself to want something that I just leave as an empty slot on most of my characters. Did the legendary relic bring back the 6th rune bonuses that were removed?.... Cheaper just to get the one I need for niche build situations. And you have to "upgrade" it with every new expansion. This relic slot feels worthless right now.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

I just can't bring myself to want something that I just leave as an empty slot on most of my characters.

Sure, no legendary makes sense for a slot you don't use. This has a direct correlation to how important that slot is for the content you play. Open world, dungeons, regular fractals, low to mid level skill instanced content, story, etc. all of that doesn't require a relic. Most doesn't even require a good build.

Did the legendary relic bring back the 6th rune bonuses that were removed?....

Nope, others in part more busted were added. Mostly the gimmicky stuff was removed.

Cheaper just to get the one I need for niche build situations.

True, it's always been cheaper to not go legendary when scalability was not a factor.

And you have to "upgrade" it with every new expansion. This relic slot feels worthless right now.

This has been blown wildly out of proportion. We have no idea what "upgrading" means or entails. It might just be as simple as unlock the new relics 1nce or just start the next mini expansions story.

Guildwars2 always punish people if you can't be here in time. You need to pay for living world story if you're not here when its launch before. Now, you need to pay for legendary relic because you can't make legendary rune in time.

• Confused 2

The getting LWS stories for free had basically a 6 week window and all you had to do was log in, so to do that was fairly easy (there certainly could be circumstances where for whatever reason, people are unable to do that).  I can see the point to it - they want people to keep logging in so that they can hopefully sell them other things.

The legendary rune/free relic was a different matter - you had 4-6 weeks to make it, but making it was non trivial.  In my case, I had been saving gold/materials for a legendary weapon, so shifting that to a legendary rune wasn't that big a deal.  But if I had completed that legendary weapon the week before that announcement came out, my material and gold stores would have been down considerably, and it might have been something of a challenge to have the resources to make the legendary rune.  If I was in the situation where I just could not get the mats to make the rune, I'd probably be pretty unhappy, and converting gems to gold to get the mats would probably give me a negative view towards the game.  They could have given players until some date to make the legendary rune, or maybe you always get a free legendary relic if you make a legendary rune, but I think that last one would sort of defeat the purpose of a legendary relic.