[Poll] What are your favorite Achievement types?

Favorite Achievement Types:  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What types of Achievements do you enjoy doing the most?

• Story Mission Fights (time/mechanical challenges)
    • Scavenger Hunt Collections (across maps/regions)
    • Lore/Story-rich Achievements (discovery, side quests)
    • Puzzles (puzzle-solving, mini-dungeons)
    • Jumping Puzzles
    • Mount Races
    • Skiff Races
    • Fishing Achievements
    • Map Completion
    • Repeat event A (or event chain B) X times
    • Find X number of object type Y on map
    • Kill X number of enemy type Y

1 minute ago, Omega.6801 said:

I'd argue that "Find X number of object type Y on map" and "Scavanger Hunt collections" are basically the same. So are Mount and Skiff races as Skiffs are just very boring mounts.

I think the difference is the 'find X objects' type are just finding objects hidden in hard to reach places in a map, like the coins in Silverwastes, whereas the scavenger hunts can be much more complicated, with different requirements for each item and tend to have more of a story to them. They're some of the ones which in other games would be side-quests.

For example the precursor collections are scavenger hunts and even when the items on the list have similar names they require very different things. The Dreamer III has you collecting dreams but the actual requirements range from visiting locations on different maps to completing Fractals, event chains and hearts or killing world bosses. Some of them (like the skyscale achievements) require completing other collection achievements.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

I'd argue that "Find X number of object type Y on map" and "Scavanger Hunt collections" are basically the same.

No, because Scavenger Hunt Collections (hence the "collection" part) includes different types of objects or objectives, and they can be found/done on several maps, not just the local one.

There is a huge difference between getting stuff done for the original Skyscale mount collection in LWS4 and "Illuminating Inner Nayos", no? 😉 

24 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

So are Mount and Skiff races as Skiffs are just very boring mounts.

Uhm, no? With the Griffon we had really cool races in PoF/LWS4. Skiffs are just racing across the water, and as you state yourself, some consider that "boring", while they like Mount Races a lot.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6

I like looking for stuff and exploring. If I find a little space to crawl into and I find a coin at the end, neat! Scavenger hunts are fun to me, especially if there's hints given in the puzzles rather than straight-up "go here do thing" answers. If I get stumped on these, surely someone's beat the achievement before I have and I can find information on the Wiki if I need it.

I also like achievements that give a bit of supplemental lore or have their own little stories. Bonus points if my character actually interacts with an NPC he may be working with to complete the achievement/chain in question. I love surprise dialogue.

Races are fun too and I like that they don't usually require you to place first or whatever to get credit.

• Like 2

Voted for the first three, and am unsurprised that two of those three have a pretty significant lead in early voting ; p

I'm a little surprised at how poorly story cheeves are doing. We frequently get posts on the forums about how ppls play gw2 like a single player game, or wish they could, or wish some aspects were more solo-friendly. That's what I like about story cheeves, they're a 'just for me' experience with no help or interference from others. They're probably my very favorite cheeve type : )

As for the rest, I couldn't vote for puzzles bc they usually just involve checking the wiki. For fishing, repeating events, finding x items or killing x bad guys I find those tedious and grindy. The world does need some tedious and grindy cheeves so I'm not exactly complaining, but they're never going to be my favorite. I love jps and races, but not for the cheeves. They're just sort of intrinsically satisfying. Time trial type race cheeves are good, esp when designed to force players into learning to control a new mount, but generally I don't need cheeves for races or jps. Not sure I've ever thought of map completion as an achievement category, so not sure what that was supposed to entail exactly . . .

1 hour ago, Gop.8713 said:

Voted for the first three, and am unsurprised that two of those three have a pretty significant lead in early voting ; p

I'm a little surprised at how poorly story cheeves are doing. We frequently get posts on the forums about how ppls play gw2 like a single player game, or wish they could, or wish some aspects were more solo-friendly. That's what I like about story cheeves, they're a 'just for me' experience with no help or interference from others. They're probably my very favorite cheeve type : )

I like the story, but I don't like achievements which amount to "now do the same thing you've just done but faster" or "do it again but now the boss has more health". If I happen to get them while playing through the story that's fine but if not I'm highly unlikely to do it again to attempt them, unless I have to for some reason (like if I want the reward from a meta achievement).

In most games I don't care about achievements at all because they all fall into two categories - either they pop up to tell you that you've just done what you already know you did because you were there when you did it, or they're "hard mode" versions of things you'll have already done and repeating things just to get a tick box to tell me I did also doesn't interest me. In GW2 I do pay attention to achievements because they're the main (and often only) way of sign-posting what's available to do, but even so I'm only going to pay attention to the ones which actually interest me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I enjoy, "Achievements," that are actual achievements requiring some degree of skill or mastery of an aspect of the game. Unfortunately there are few such in the game so I tend to ignore the achievement system.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

11 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

Story is one thing, story achievements are something else. And as for playing GW2 as a single-player game, remember, that Migraine is a story achievement as well.

(hint: there's a number of story achievements that are best done in a group, not solo)

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

10 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I like the story, but I don't like achievements which amount to "now do the same thing you've just done but faster" or "do it again but now the boss has more health". If I happen to get them while playing through the story that's fine but if not I'm highly unlikely to do it again to attempt them, unless I have to for some reason (like if I want the reward from a meta achievement).

I keep multiple toons up to date on story anyway, so for me it's typically nbd to focus cheeves after first run . . .

23 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Story is one thing, story achievements are something else. And as for playing GW2 as a single-player game, remember, that Migraine is a story achievement as well.

(hint: there's a number of story achievements that are best done in a group, not solo)

That is a good point. There was one exception one time in twelve years ; p

And tbh I once got help with a story cheeve back in ls2 that could have been soloed I just couldn't be arsed at the time. But I've soloed all the rest which, again, is what makes them fun for me . . .

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 9:36 AM, tamie.2670 said:

The soto collections were my favorite type. A bit of everything and made me wish for more. 

Really? I found them all uninspired or half-baked/rushed compared to some of the cool Achievements we used to have in the past.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 2

Map Completion~ too bad no more LS maps and no more Cantha maps.

Used to immediately just explore maps when they released especially to see what new items they had to offer if renown hearts existed~ Endless Combat Tonics and armor skins being of most interest...  A lot of the other achievements in poll exist along-side this like JPs and finding random hidden collections.

but over the years Anet trained me to avoid exploring them when they release because the story usually has filler that makes you do map completion oriented stuff anyways and I'd end up having to do it twice. Even Vistas are a part of story now lol.

6 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Really? I found them all uninspired or half-baked/rushed compared to some of the cool Achievements we used to have in the past.

Worst thing of SOTO ones were having to wait around for the events to start and then not being able to complete them for achievement due to bugs like the floating platform sniping one they took forever to patch.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 3:40 AM, Assolador.3598 said:

x. pvp achievements

Well, the poll is aiming at story and open world expansion content, to be honest. Otherwise, I would have added Fractals, Raids and Strikes, and WvW, too. 😉 

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 3