Options to avoid Alcohol? (Relating to Order of Whispers level 40 story)

21 minutes ago, Moto.7280 said:

this is actually a workable solution for me. I'd like more, but it'll do. I hope the community isn't as hostile as this forum and I actually find people who would help me with this when I get to level 40.

The forum is generally hostile. I however am utterly wonderful and I can team if need be on an alt and do the tasks you are uncomfortable with if you are on EU

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

14 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

The forum is generally hostile. I however am utterly wonderful and I can team if need be on an alt and do the tasks you are uncomfortable with if you are on EU

To be fair. Different parts of the forum have different levels of hostility. Players helping players is generally a very nice and helpful place for example.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If you choose to join the Order of Whispers you do need to complete Down the Hatch. The simplest way to avoid it is to pick a different Order but there are alternatives:

1) If you play with another character they can drink and you can simply be a spectator (with the option to support them using skills).

2) It might be possible to complete the drinking game without drinking alcohol. You're given 4 skills and only 1 of them is drinking alcohol. (2 is faking, 3 is water and 4 is bragging to the crowd which has a chance to get bonus effects.) Ideally you need to use a mix of all of them to reduce your opponent's health before yours, but it might be possible to do it without using skill 1, especially if you use food to increase your health regen. (I haven't tested this, but when I've done that story step I usually try to avoid using the drinking skill as much as possible because it cuts your health.)

I think your character will act drunk for a bit after the drinking game even if you never actually drink anything, but that could just be them keeping up the act.

If you need someone to do it with you let me know, my availability is a bit limited but I have accounts on both EU and NA and could join you for the story.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I'm not sure why people have to act like it's such a big deal though. People play this and many other games with all kinds of self-imposed restrictions, for all kinds of reasons. One surprisingly common one is people attempting pasifist runs of combat-focused games, where they try to avoid killing (or even harming) anything. For some reason people are generally ok with it if it's a challenge for fun, but either mock it or get strangly angry if it looks like it might be in any way meaningful for the person doing it, which is a bit weird.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I'm not sure why people have to act like it's such a big deal though. People play this and many other games with all kinds of self-imposed restrictions, for all kinds of reasons. One surprisingly common one is people attempting pasifist runs of combat-focused games, where they try to avoid killing (or even harming) anything. For some reason people are generally ok with it if it's a challenge for fun, but either mock it or get strangly angry if it looks like it might be in any way meaningful for the person doing it, which is a bit weird.

I think it's more a response to the implication that because one has a feeling it must be valid and the subsequent righteous indignation when that validation does not occur.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Omega.6801 said:

1) Congratulations on your progress.
2) I can't speak for OP and I don't want to make this about the ins and outs of exposure therapy either. But judging from OP's post, they'd rather avoid a topic in-game, and that's fine. If possible, people should be able to chose when, where and how to confront their demons and as long as the work happens/has happened elsewhere, the work doesn't need to happen in-game.

All true, but also can't control when exposure happens. That's why it is important. Frankly, a video game is probably the safest place for that to happen.

To the OP though, if you picked the Whispers as your order, you aren't going to be able to avoid that story instance. You can reroll as one of the other orders though as I do not think any of them have any booze related story steps.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Moto.7280 said:

this is actually a workable solution for me. I'd like more, but it'll do. I hope the community isn't as hostile as this forum and I actually find people who would help me with this when I get to level 40.

Unless you walk into PvP or instanced PvE you'll find the in-game community to be very friendly and helpful.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

For the record, I'm extremely uncomfortable with the idea of mudering thousands and thousands of sentient beings, but somehow I've managed to overcome my sensibilities in order to enjoy video games..

Well, most of them were poopyheads and deserved it! Also, my character did, and not me. Then again I suppose I did support and encourage it, but those are just details.

Then again incidentally in most games I tend to actually pick more morally questionable acts on my alts, because hey "my alt did it, not me!" Aka this is non-canon but we must view it for fun.

Also back to the topic, I think one's character would be even more heroic because as opposed as they are to drinking, they're doing it to save the world! Or at least that's the spin I would write for myself. 

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

I'm still convinced that somebody is sitting under a bridge and telling riddles, but I'll bite anyway.  In this world, there's two kinds of problems:  a "we" problem, and a "you" problem.  The thing about "you" problems is that it is not practical or rational to demand that the world reorient itself to fix it.  The cause and solution to these kinds of problems sit between the keyboard and the chair.  Not wanting to complete a quest because it has casual drinking in it is very much a "you" problem.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 3

The op is still letting their addiction run their life.

By making him fear that just being around any type of content will trigger a fall.

and I mean that with much kindness

Embrace life have fun and  soon you will not see the perceived triggers in everyday life.

Context: 16yrs sober and having a ball

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Moto.7280 said:

If you're on a US server, I'll do it. I'll have to get a character up to that step though, but let me know if you want me to. Happy to help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are a lot of people that dislike to do certain stuff. Sometimes even for religious reasons. But I don't think the game can take all of that into account. GW2 is already pretty tame in a lot of areas cause it wants to appeal to a lot of customers (young and old). And as someone mentioned: Killing others (which the character also is doing) ... usually is something considered a lot worse by most people.

When you take into account that it is the character (and NOT you) it might be easier to do certain things. (And not even the character does need to like all the stuff they do. They could just reluctantly do it to get results. For example drinking with someone to get information - not because they like/support drinking.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Sugar Min.5834 said:

It's only a game, not real, stop being hysterical and over reacting. Just enjoy the game. You think too much. Alternatives have been suggested to avoid *drinking in the game*, isn't that what you asked for in your opening post? Now what? Closed the thread, in-game life goes on :classic_dry:

The OP has only made 3 posts; one to ask the original question, one to clarify that they do not have any objection to alcohol in general, they just don't want their character to drink and one to confirm that the solutions posted will work for them.

The only reason the topic has gotten to 2 pages (or more than about 10 posts) is because so many people are getting worked up about the idea of a fictional character not drinking alcohol (which kind of proves the OPs point about it being a social expectation) and inventing reasons they might be doing that in order to get upset at those reasons being invalid.

Also only moderators can close threads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Moto.7280 said:

I'm glad at least some people took my concerns seriously. This topic isnt meant for amusement, its genuine feedback. My problem with alcohol is not particularly that I'm grossed out or traumatized, its merely that I reject it on grounds that its seen as mandatory component for social participation, an attitude some posters have demonstrated here by mocking me for not wanting to do that. I have not even suggested anything drastic, yet people still feel the need to put me down for it.

I would ask why you are bringing this attitude here? Do you not want me to play? Would you rather a new player is booted out of the community than to simply acknowledge that some content is making them more uncomfortable than what you personally think?

I made the topic here because I looked how to give feedback on the game and the arena net team suggested putting it here. And I was curious if anyone else has ever felt this way.

I don't think you've been mocked for not wanting your character to drink for personal reasons (and if that was the intention of some of them, well, they can go F themselves). It just raises questions, valid ones. For instance, alcohol is an insurmountable problem, but killing animals and people isn't? What's your motivation for not having a problem with the latter and why can't it be applied to the former? 

However, drinking is seen as mandatory for social participation? Sure, I know there are people for whom alcohol makes social participation easier but it is far from considered mandatory.  It might feel that way but that doesn't mean it actually is. I think we're mostly talking about parties/bars/clubs here. There is so much social participation going on outside of that. Talking to your neighbors in the backyard, having a conversation with someone you know at the grocery store, interacting with classmates at school or colleagues at work, etc. All social participation but I don't think anyone expects anyone to consume alcohol in those circumstances. And there are plenty of people who don't need alcohol at all to have fun.

But such is life. We come across things we don't like, every single one of us, without exception. It is too much to expect the world around us to change according to our wishes so we can feel more comfortable. It's our own responsibility to deal with those things and that's part of how we grow and evolve as people. Not dealing with it or putting it in perspective has consequences and puts up barriers. This barrier is self-imposed, though. Why should anyone other than ourselves be responsible for removing those self-imposed barriers?

I'm glad that someone has come up with a workaround for you. But don't make the mistake that the people questioning your request are all mocking you. It's not exactly a strong position and is actually counterproductive to understanding. It makes it seem as if you're putting yourself in a disadvantageous position, i.e. making yourself a victim to the whims of the world. That just makes us a target for a specific kind of people. I mean, we're talking about pixels and a fictional story here. Representation of a thing is not the thing itself.

Anyway, I hope you'll do the responsible thing and put yourself up as the designated driver for whoever is going to be inebriated for your benefit. 😉

• Like 2
  • Confused 1