Next-Level Fashion Wars: Cosmetic Inspect Coming to Guild Wars 2 April 16!

3 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Just to answer this. This is incorrect as it doesn't address natural player shyness or language barriers.

(for the record I have no objection to the idea of a toggle being be added. I have no issue with it either way)

Well it still doesn't motivate the addition of this...
I did mentionned this before, I do consider introversion in my arguments, being an ambivert myself (50/50 Intra/Extra) (Edited).
But if I don't feel like asking, I'm taking a screenshot, opening my wardrobe and look skin by skin.

It's the effort value and the will to actually try to not have everything fed to you directly.
We have done this for years, then suddenly we get punished for people who can't or don't want to make the extra steps... You don't get things if you don't try things, that is something that a lot of players keep telling each others... are you saying that those people now are swapping arguments?

Edited by LoboRaptorLo.2603
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

I agree that this feature needs to have an opt-out option. If others want to know what I use, they can simply ask me.

Reducing social interactions in a multiplayer game is never good, especially when it's meant to address something that has never been an issue to begin with.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 6

6 minutes ago, Helliwolf the KrimsonKnight.6523 said:

Ok, but for those of us into the fashion game, who recognize the armour pieces and for those with eyes who can see colours, how are they currently stopped from just looking at your outfit and copying it, if they were so inclined?

Do you realize the huge amount of armor colors this game has? :classic_huh:

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

I think this is a great addition to the game and I am looking forward to it. 
I often get whispers about the skins my characters are wearing. Now I don’t have to waste my time and link everything in chat. 
I am happy if someone wants to copy my looks. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 8

• ArenaNet Staff

I'm keeping an eye on feedback for this feature across a number of platforms and languages, including this one. So rest assured that this conversation is part of  the overall feedback. 

Also: Discussing and disagreeing is fine and great. Name-calling, bickering, and attacking others because they don't share your opinion? Not at all fine or great. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 13
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Helliwolf the KrimsonKnight.6523 said:

Ok, but for those of us into the fashion game, who recognize the armour pieces and for those with eyes who can see colours, how are they currently stopped from just looking at your outfit and copying it, if they were so inclined?

Effort and brainpower required to copy something you see and trying to make it yourself vs instantly seeing what the items/dyes are (especially an actually unique/original outfit that uses more than the painfully obvious Shadow Abyss/Permafrost dyes) are different. Props to anyone who can immediately realize someone is using a niche dye like "Phlox" and "Peanut Butter." 😂

I don't care either way; like I said, if someone wants to make a 1:1 of my characters, dang, I'm flattered, especially if they're insane enough to go get the infusions or go out of their way to get skins/dyes that are otherwise very difficult to attain, but other people do care, and an "opt out" button for them isn't an outlandish request nor is it something ultra gamebreaking to have an opt out for.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Can't inspect people to see gear, weapons, or builds--but fashion is ok? We don't even have proper DPS meter in the game to help out, have to rely on Arc.  

I see this just making it so people call others 'whales' and whatnot if they have a lot of gemstore outfits, or other bad behaviors depending on rarity of skin.  As of now, it's hard to do that as have to guess lot of times or wiki it to even know if its a BL skin or normal one (outside things like leges which are pretty obvious).  

Fashion in this game is competitive, it's part of the reason why every outfit and legendary is glitter lightshow puke.  Also, why it's IMO hard to make a masculine looking dude, everyone looks like a runway model.  

So, it's understandable why the fashion community would be upset, as now in addition to the Jesus Saves LA spam and DMs, can add some nice whispers about how people think you have no life or whale for the game because they sit around in LA or other places right-click inpsecting people...

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

I'm keeping an eye on feedback for this feature across a number of platforms and languages, including this one. So rest assured that this conversation is part of  the overall feedback. 

Also: Discussing and disagreeing is fine and great. Name-calling, bickering, and attacking others because they don't share your opinion? Not at all fine or great. 

Please consider this before releasing this tomorrow. Thank you Rubi...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, LoboRaptorLo.2603 said:

Well it still doesn't motivate the addition of this...
I did mentionned this before, I do consider introversion in my arguments, being an ambivert myself (50/50 Intra/Extra) (Edited).
But if I don't feel like asking, I'm taking a screenshot, opening my wardrobe and look skin by skin.

It's the effort value and the will to actually try to not have everything fed to you directly.
We have done this for years, then suddenly we get punished for people who can't or don't want to make the extra steps... You don't get things if you don't try things, that is something that a lot of players keep telling each others... are you saying that those people now are swapping arguments?

I'm not saying anything of the sort. I'd have written it if I did.  I'm just saying people not being confident in asking isn't an indication of the community not being friendly. I made no other point - I leave the pros and cons of a toggle to the rest of you as I don't care either way.

I would suggest both sides calm a little though. Some very heated reactions and wordage seem unnecessary on both sides for such a tiny (albeit heavily requested) feature and they risk the snap of the moderator's Infinity Gauntlet

• Thanks 3

Just now, Randulf.7614 said:

I'm not saying anything of the sort. I'd have written it if I did.  I'm just saying people not being confident in asking isn't an indication of the community not being friendly. I made no other point - I leave the pros and cons of a toggle to the rest of you as I don't care either way.

I would suggest both sides calm a little though. Some very heated reactions and wordage seem unnecessary on both sides for such a tiny (albeit heavily requested) feature and they risk the snap of the moderator's Infinity Gauntlet

My irritation and frustration is mostly sourced that I have been around for 9 years now, and most of our suggestions and concerns have been squashed by people saying that it is not a valid problem for concerns, when several other people do voice the same concerns.

It honestly feels that people who has concerns are not even taken in consideration, when all we ask is an actual compromise...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 6

I think the feature is nice, but an opt-out would be nice too. I don't really want people to take looks I've spent hours on and slap them on like outfits with no effort on their end.

I know it sounds silly, but getting good at fashion means something to us - we value not just the looks themselves but the work that went into them.

• Like 12
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

3 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Then, Devil's Advocate--add it for gear as well.  If one thing is ok, then everything should be transparent.  Harassment isn't an excuse either as I mention above, people harass others about literally everything.  

No reason not to be able to see full on builds--far easier to just right-click and save those to build slots rather than asking for a person to link them.  

The fact that people are unable to see that most of us who wants an option to opt out is because we prefer the safety even if it would mean adding a responability on top, and that we are more than willing to have to do the extra work and extra steps... it is mind blowing. (Edit)

Edited by LoboRaptorLo.2603
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

7 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Do you realize the huge amount of armor colors this game has? :classic_huh:

So if someone copies your look 99% but if they miss that shade by a smidge we're all good?

What are people losing here? You're acting like someone can just run up to you and rip your armour straight off your back.

I've seen someone run up to my character in DR, line up, and take a couple of mins to copy my look and then run off. It was amusing, but I'll probably never see that person again. What did I lose?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

I think the feature is nice, but an opt-out would be nice too. I don't really want people to take looks I've spent hours on and slap them on like outfits with no effort on their end.

I know it sounds silly, but getting good at fashion means something to us - we value not just the looks themselves but the work that went into them.

But why not? Isn’t it a compliment that other people want to recreate your looks? I would actually be happy seeing people using my looks. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 9

11 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Cosmetic inspect is great. The next step is gear inspect! Would love to see it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9

Just now, yoni.7015 said:

But why not? Isn’t it a compliment that other people want to recreate your looks? I would actually be happy seeing people using my looks. 

It's more a compliment when people come to us and tell us that they like our style and wants the advice, or wants to know which pieces and dyes we used. Like 999% more complimenting and flattering.

Replicating the style with Inspect is like replicating it behind our backs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

Not for or against an opt-in options since I am not sure I would even use the feature. I do know its been asked about a lot here and in game. That said I do know Fashion Wars 2 players and I know that if they use the inspect it will not be used for any full copies else they wouldn't have spent the time they have setting up appearances and if anything if they saw a match, on another player that would just give them goals to change up again. I think a better reason for an opt-in would be to prevent player impersonation for trolling as some players have faced.

Personally like the idea of the feature since it means waiting around less as a a group waits for members trying to identify what piece of gear that a skin came from versus actually gaming but that's me.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just makes it way easier to follow someone around now looking identically to them and harassing them or makes it far more likely squabbles start over who 'created' a look.  

It may not seem like much, but just the fact you have to research skins now, and especially identical dye combos is a huge barrier to entry for this type of harassment.  

I'm not sure you are thinking this through all the way here as to the negative portions of it.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Just now, LoboRaptorLo.2603 said:

It's more a compliment when people come to us and tell us that they like our style and wants the advice, or wants to know which pieces and dyes we used. Like 999% more complimenting and flattering.

Replicating the style with Inspect is like replicating it behind our backs.

That’s nonsense. They can still tell you that they like your looks, happens often to me. But now I have to waste my time and link everything in chat. It’s easier for me and for them to just click and see what my characters are wearing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8

What do you expect? That tomorrow evening everyone is running around in your looks because they are so great? Come on, that’s not going to happen 🤣 you are being overly dramatic 

Don't pour cold water on the annual Randulf cosplay convention so quickly...

• Haha 7

It's a compliment if someone actually gives a compliment. If someone likes it and asks for the pieces, I'll generally tell them. But straight up ripping it with dyes 1:1 with no effort to try to recreate it themselves can really feel invalidating to the work put in. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I hope they leave an option for you to choose if people can inspect you or not. I spent a lot of time thinking of looks, testing dyes so someone can just come and copy me. It's cool if people want to share it but some people  may not want it. Yes people can take a printscreen and try to look for it, but still they may not get the exact colors of everything. This new feature annoyed me for sure.

Things that actually matter, such as gear, runes, sigils and build should be the target of this kind of feature. People have bad experiences in PvE because they can't inspect others.. if they were able to be inspected, there could be room for someone to help them improve. Such a waste of development time to give a skin inspection.

Edited by leila.7962
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3