Do you Exchange Gems for gold?

Do you exchange Gems for Gold  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Do you exchange Gems for Gold

• Yes
    • No

9 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Every time I make a legendary that's the last thing I have to do

You can trade laurels for t1-6 bags in the pvp lobby.
T3 and 4 trades have the highest value, means you're better off to trade laurels for t3 and 4 bags and sell the mats to buy t6 mats from that gold.
Use the laurels from the vault.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I've done this for years. Never regretted it. There is enough grind in the account-bound achievements and materials required for legendary items.

But for over a year I've been playing daily fractals T4 + recs to go for the account augmentations and Fractal God title. That brings in enough gold for my spending habits so it is a while ago since I exchanged gems to gold.

Gems to gold exchange keeps the gold sellers away and is a nice additional source of income for ArenaNet in this game that has no timely fees.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826

3 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

T3 and 4 trades have the highest value, means you're better off to trade laurels for t3 and 4 bags and sell the mats to buy t6 mats from that gold.

Plus buy trophy shipments if you have any spare volatile magic. And if you end up with more T5 trophies than T6 then the Mystic Forge formula to upgrade them to T6 is profitable for a few of the most expensive ones (ie blood and totems, the fast farming website has the details). Pact Supply Mapping Materials are also a reasonable way to convert Karma to Gold by buying out 20 or 40 map rewards (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_bonus_reward/profit).

Totally agree with Gehenna tho. Even with all of the above the, T6 trophies are definitely the main bottleneck for me on legendaries (I guess Mystic Clovers will be soon too, I'm slowly running out of the ones I accumulated during the first year of play when I wasn't building legendaries).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

You can trade laurels for those at many laurel vendors. That's why I have zero laurels lol and yes I use them for t3-t4 as well. I just don't go from meta to meta to farm gold. I know I can make lots of gold in this game, but it's just not me to do repetitive stuff. And the thing is that it's worth it to me. I really don't want to do the things that can make me lots of gold because I find it boring. 

I do appreciate people trying to tell me how to circumvent spending money on this game but I don't mind really, and what I have to do to make gold is just boring to me. So I make the conscious choice to spend money and buy off the repetitive gameplay. It's all about what you want to do and which resources you have available. I might have a really odd playstyle but it works for me. 

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

You can trade laurels for those at many laurel vendors. That's why I have zero laurels lol and yes I use them for t3-t4 as well. I just don't go from meta to meta to farm gold. I know I can make lots of gold in this game, but it's just not me to do repetitive stuff. And the thing is that it's worth it to me. I really don't want to do the things that can make me lots of gold because I find it boring. 

I do appreciate people trying to tell me how to circumvent spending money on this game but I don't mind really, and what I have to do to make gold is just boring to me. So I make the conscious choice to spend money and buy off the repetitive gameplay. It's all about what you want to do and which resources you have available. I might have a really odd playstyle but it works for me. 

Fair, and I totally respect that 🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

Gold is too easy to make in this game to exchange gems for gold.  I do however trade gold for gems quite often.

Same here. Gold comes in so easily and steadily, I never felt the need to accelerate the process even more.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 5:36 PM, asket.5674 said:

What is your stance on this? If yes, do you think its devaluating the items you purchase with that gold?

I never did, and don't expect to in the future. As for the second question, i don;t understand it. But if there's anyone here that thinks real world money have no value, they sure are free to send some in my direction.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I never did, and don't expect to in the future. As for the second question, i don;t understand it. But if there's anyone here that thinks real world money have no value, they sure are free to send some in my direction.

Thanks for your response, for clarification of the second question: spending money on ingame gold to accelerate item acquisition might feel at some point for some people as shortcutting as you „work“ less ingame. This can lead to a perception of devaluation. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I've only gems->gold I think twice and it wasn't in large amounts. It's not efficient, and I prefer to use my gems on gemstore items.

One of my friends worked 10-12 hour days for a big company making big money, and he'd do gems->gold all the time, but he had disposable income and not disposable time, so it was more efficient for him to do gems->gold than to have enough playtime to farm gold.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I do it all the time for my gold. Farming in this game is kind of boring for me since I don't care for 99% of its methods which most use. And the moment something becomes boring in a game, I just stop doing that activity. Yes, I am even talking about some of the meta events here. I just don't care for them anymore. So for me to get items I want, I have no problem swiping away to get all I need for the project I am working at that time. I value my time above most things, so wasting 4 hours when I can just swipe and get 1000s easy makes the most sense for my situation.

Edited by Doctor Hide.6345
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I've done it super rarely.  Like others in this thread I prefer to spend gems on gemstore stuff (and that I do fairly often).  But in all the years since launch I have done it a few times.  Probably less than five times, and almost always for something I needed faster than I could get the gold through gameplay.  I can't remember the specific instances, but I'm pretty sure I did it to get the hundred gold needed for a Commander tag before that went up to 300 (gold was much harder to acquire back then).  And maybe I needed to do that to rapidly make a legendary rune when they announced that was how to get a legendary relic, but I think I had the gold needed at that point.

However, I also consider it a slippery slope.  If I do it in order to get something I could otherwise acquire in game more slowly, it has to be carefully pondered, and compared to what I am willing to spend on skins and other gemstore items.  Also *how* much more slowly?  For example if I want to finish Chuka and Champawat, and I need to deforest Tyria twenty times, maybe I'd rather spend ten bucks on the gold via gems to get the elder wood off the tp than spend weeks doing nothing but chopping trees.  (Made up quantities for illustrative purposes).

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, asket.5674 said:

Thanks for your response, for clarification of the second question: spending money on ingame gold to accelerate item acquisition might feel at some point for some people as shortcutting as you „work“ less ingame. This can lead to a perception of devaluation. 

Thats a perception thing,  if you get pleasure out if it and don't feel like it devalues the target item for you personally then its win win for the game.  If you do think it devalues then don't do it.  The key thing is there is no real gear envy in GW2, people don't get offended by someone buying stuff.  Now if you compare this to a game like WOW, its very different, in that game for example, the primary game cycle is getting better items than other players that shows how good you are, a very different proposition where buying items could be offensive.

Edited by Bladestrom.6425
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1