Guild Wars 2 Expansion Reveal: June 4

UNDERWATER WEAPONS ON LAND?
LAND WEAPONS ON WATER?

I don't care, either way it looks awesome so far and I'm so hyped! The water combat needed a rework for a very long time now so I'm hoping for good things!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Cool. Effective teaser post on their part :-).

Obviously we're getting spears on land. For symmetry I assume that means all three underwater weapons on land. Maybe legendary breathers too.

My guess on the 5 year teaser is that it's a new raid wing. Furthermore, I think there is also going to be some consolidation of instanced content and that's what the new system comment refers to. That could be some level of merging strikes with raids (most likely IMO), dungeons with fractals, maybe even broader across all four of them.

I'm hoping it will also mean more control over difficulty, the recent Strike having three different difficulty levels leads that way. I would like even more control, obviously rewards would need to reduce if you drop the difficulty below baseline.

Edited by Mistwraithe.3106
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

please please please PLEASE if this means we are getting land spears pretty please add Legionnaire Harpoon to the drop tables, it is currently no way to get it outside of the Wardrobe Unlock consumables, and ive been eying it for years 7-7

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

The blog post mentions something else the players have been asking for for five years besides the land spear.

Five years ago must have been around the end of LW s4. What were players asking for back then that they only begun asking for in that period?

A new God of War maybe? 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

New expansion announce and most people are going crazy because of Landspears ? I didnt get it. Give me a good story, a huge map with a lot to do in it, good Metas and Events.

I couldnt care less of spears on land, lol.

Edited by Worrbinpike.2957
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Worrbinpike.2957 said:

New expansion announce and most people are going crazy because of Landspears ? I didnt get it. Give me a good story, a huge map with a lot to do in it, good Metas and Events.

I couldnt care less of spears on land, lol.

I agree. Plus, I was never a fan of having underwater weapons being a thing, but I guess Anet rather please an audience then genuinely create a great story. I feel like their story tellers have a little too much cheese and corn in what they're making. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)

I have mixed feelings. I was one of the loudest voices begging for spears on land, but they kind of met us halfway with an increasing number of classes that use staves in a cool melee fashion, and staff skins that are increasingly polearm-like. My two mains are a Daredevil and a staff Spellbreaker. There are already PLENTY of cool "spears" useable on land, with weapon skills that I'm fond of and well-practiced in and wouldn't want to give up.

There are a few actual spear skins I'd really like to be able to use as staves, so I hope there's some kind of skin-crossover deal in the works. It wouldn't be entirely unprecedented, they've recycled skins between weapon classes before. The Modniir staff and trident are the exact same skin, for instance.

Edited by ElforTheLandStander.7052
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ElforTheLandStander.7052 said:

I have mixed feelings. I was one of the loudest voices begging for spears on land, but they kind of met us halfway with an increasing number of classes that use staves in a cool melee fashion, and staff skins that are increasingly polearm-like. My two mains are a Daredevil and a staff Spellbreaker. There are already PLENTY of cool "spears" useable on land, with weapon skills that I'm fond of and well-practiced in and wouldn't want to give up.

There are a few actual spear skins I'd really like to be able to use as staves, so I hope there's some kind of skin-crossover deal in the works. It wouldn't be entirely unprecedented, they've recycled skins between weapon classes before. The Modniir staff and trident are the exact same skin, for instance.

I think they should have allowed off hand weapons to be used in the main hand and scepter to be used in the offhand before making underwater weapons usable on land. Hopefully, that's the case. I really can't see harpoon gun being used on land, but maybe they'll have a cool surprise.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Might be one of the charr legion homelands too.

I wish it was like that but Charr have a more industrial architecture with a lot of metal. This looks more like something belonging to the Norns to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VocalThought.9835 said:

I agree. Plus, I was never a fan of having underwater weapons being a thing, but I guess Anet rather please an audience then genuinely create a great story. I feel like their story tellers have a little too much cheese and corn in what they're making. 

I don't think these things have anything to do with each other. It's highly unlikely any of the writers are also involved in designing weapon mechanics, those are completely different jobs.

1 hour ago, Mysty Meadows.1425 said:

TLDR;

Village at the end, Tengu?

The village at the end is the most interesting part to me (I tried asking about it earlier in the thread but everyone just wanted to talk about spears). I don't think it matches anything we've seen before.

I was going to say it's nothing like the Tengu settlements we've seen so far, but I think they're all in Cantha and it's likely Tyrian tengu would have different architectural styles. But I'm pretty sure the Tyrian tengu are all living in the Dominion of Winds, and the landscape looks wrong for that - it's between Lion's Arch and Caledon Forest so it should be more tropical. Plus I don't think they'd make tengu a feature of another expansion after they were a big part of EoD.

It could be a group of norn or charr we've not met before, I think there was a diary in SotO which mentioned norn settlements west of the Shiverpeaks.

The only other races I can think of in that area would be centaurs and kodan, and I don't think centaurs would build out onto a cliff like that, and it's not cold enough for kodan, who typically build their homes on icebergs. I suppose humans are always possible, but they look like big buildings for humans (and that would be a boring answer). Other than that I don't know...a surprisingly sophisticated group of grawl?

• Like 3

Please make raid Wing 8 good as the other 7 before. You need good encounter design, some new mechanics and new cool looking bosses. Dont make it a recycled fiesta of map, mechanic, bosses and animations pls.

I just feel bad that we missed Urgoz as a posible raid wing in EoD.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

37 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I don't think these things have anything to do with each other. It's highly unlikely any of the writers are also involved in designing weapon mechanics, those are completely different jobs.

The village at the end is the most interesting part to me (I tried asking about it earlier in the thread but everyone just wanted to talk about spears). I don't think it matches anything we've seen before.

I was going to say it's nothing like the Tengu settlements we've seen so far, but I think they're all in Cantha and it's likely Tyrian tengu would have different architectural styles. But I'm pretty sure the Tyrian tengu are all living in the Dominion of Winds, and the landscape looks wrong for that - it's between Lion's Arch and Caledon Forest so it should be more tropical. Plus I don't think they'd make tengu a feature of another expansion after they were a big part of EoD.

It could be a group of norn or charr we've not met before, I think there was a diary in SotO which mentioned norn settlements west of the Shiverpeaks.

The only other races I can think of in that area would be centaurs and kodan, and I don't think centaurs would build out onto a cliff like that, and it's not cold enough for kodan, who typically build their homes on icebergs. I suppose humans are always possible, but they look like big buildings for humans (and that would be a boring answer). Other than that I don't know...a surprisingly sophisticated group of grawl?

Tengu was the first thing I thought of when I saw the circular structures, since that kinda echoes the circular/hexagonal features in their Mori Village architecture. Maybe some Caromi outpost? The other buildings seemed reminiscent of old-school Deldrimor rooflines, but not quite. It doesn't strike me as anything resembling any centaur or Kodan structure we've ever seen, so probably not them either. Maybe some civilized Jotun teamed up with your sophisticated Grawl and made a town? 😆

• Like 1

Does that mean we might get a full underwater map?

I remember the announcement of WoW Cataclysm back in the day. It featured Vashj'ir, a vast open zone under the sea. We were given a "sea legs" buff which allowed us to breathe under water and move fast on the ground, then we got a Sea Horse aquatic mount.

And to be honest the vast majority of the playerbase hated it so much 😄 Everyone wanted to level up in the Mount Hyjal zone because Vashj'ir was too different and the navigation was slower.
I liked it for being different, though.

As for the Spear, I'm not sure what to expect.

A, - Being able to swap between 3-4 sets of weapons instead of 2? And 1 or 2 of them are Spear/Trident etc? Would this be allowed in any encounter? Balancing?
B, - They eliminate the underwater weapon slots and Spear/Trident/Harpoon etc becomes equippable in the main weapon slots?
C, - Anything else?

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Azinoth.1902 said:

Does that mean we might get a full underwater map?

I remember the announcement of WoW Cataclysm back in the day. It featured Vashj'ir, a vast open zone under the sea. We were given a "sea legs" buff which allowed us to breathe under water and move fast on the ground, then we got a Sea Horse aquatic mount.

And to be honest the vast majority of the playerbase hated it so much 😄 Everyone wanted to level up in the Mount Hyjal zone because Vashj'ir was too different and the navigation was slower.
I liked it for being different, though.

As for the Spear, I'm not sure what to expect.

A, - Being able to swap between 3-4 sets of weapons instead of 2? And 1 or 2 of them are Spear/Trident etc? Would this be allowed in any encounter? Balancing?
B, - They eliminate the underwater weapon slots and Spear/Trident/Harpoon etc becomes equippable in the main weapon slots?
C, - Anything else?

Thoughts?

None of those, I expect to simply see some of the Professions (possibly all?) to get the option to equip a Spear in the on-land equipment slots. Uses the same item type, but otherwise functions exactly the same as any other weapon. I also expect them to receive different skills from the underwater use.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Player housing is one thing I thought about, but I doubt they'd do that, and I think it'd count as a feature rather than a type of map design.

Depends on how they would implement the player housing. Could be specific open world spots that players can acquire, with the houses being instanced and only owners and party members being able to enter.

1 hour ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Tengu was the first thing I thought of when I saw the circular structures

Oof, hopefully not! The new tengu models that differ from the original design look plain creepy (like lab accidents). 😵

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

17 hours ago, Artemis.8034 said:

Okay lets stop concentrating on the spear thats obvious. Look at the architecture, what does it resemble in GW lore? Open the video to full screen and manually scroll the video and look hard.

The structures seem pretty large if I compare the footbridges with possible entrances. I don't think its Norn because the decorations don't quite fit. So maybe some ancient Jotun or Kodan? A wild guess though 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Mysty Meadows.1425 said:

TLDR;

Village at the end, Tengu?

Just a wild guess, maybe we'll encounter unknown Kodan tribe, who don't live in cold regions and resembles grizzly bears instead of polar bears? Or  just Grawl as others mentioned. Or intelligent giants, like Fen, maybe he's runaway from Woodland Cascades? Don't think it'll be Tengu vilage.

Edited by Nuldric.1239
  • Like 2

On 5/29/2024 at 4:12 AM, SirDoNKeY.4578 said:

My Charr holds staves in one hand... 😛

When a staff is used as a caster weapon it's used in one hand, when it's used as a melee weapon it's held in two hands.