Will Kamohoali'i Kotaki contain footfalls?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, December.4612 said:

Once the legendary weapon Kamohoali'i Kotaki is usable on dry land, will it contain footfalls?

Oooh, now that's an interesting question! Since the underwater effects of those legendaries won't work on land, adding a separate terrestrial effect would be a pretty nice feature.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/5/2024 at 8:38 AM, December.4612 said:

Once the legendary weapon Kamohoali'i Kotaki is usable on dry land, will it contain footfalls?

I hadn't even considered that. Though it wouldn't matter to me because I find it a horrible skin, so I'll reskin it as a default. Still, it's a valid question just the same.

Probably not. For that to happen, someone would have to code those, and for that someone would have to have to think of think about things like this. I also doubt it will have projectile or kill animations.

• Confused 3

20 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

I also doubt it will have projectile or kill animations.

it already has a projectile animation.
i don't think any gen 1 has a kill animation, only some change the damage type to fire/lightning etc. for a different animation.
it also does have an on crit animation.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bq pd.2148 said:

it already has a projectile animation.
i don't think any gen 1 has a kill animation, only some change the damage type to fire/lightning etc. for a different animation.
it also does have an on crit animation.

True, it doesn't have a kill animation. I was thinking about the crit-animation, sorry.

Edited by Omega.6801
  • Confused 1

Realistically, what is going to happen is that there will be no visual effects added to Kamo. On land it will function as just a spear with that skin with no additional effects, perhaps the bubbles on the player and the chomp-on-crit effect will show up on land, but there will probably be no footfalls. The reasoning is three-fold:

First, Kamo is intended as an underwater legendary for its visual effects (chomp animation with critical hits features a shark materializing out of water, and bubbles on the character), while the new spear will be a terrestrial legendary. The new spear will have footfalls and whatever other effects they come up with.

Second, not adding effects to Kamo will serve to incentivize playing the expansion to get the new spear that will have terrestrial effects.

Third, creating a legendary that will have different behaviors/visual effects depending on whether it's in water or on land is probably not possible for them.

We can only hope for an overhaul of Kamo and making both legendary spears have different effects depending on whether they are in water or on land. It would be nice, but I just don't see that happening for those three reasons.

• Confused 3

On 6/5/2024 at 9:09 AM, Cronospere.8143 said:

That is a valid question. Waves will be cool. Like your constantly walking on a liquid floor. 

Give me that plus a sound like walking with soaked boots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Realistically, what is going to happen is that there will be no visual effects added to Kamo. On land it will function as just a spear with that skin with no additional effects, perhaps the bubbles on the player and the chomp-on-crit effect will show up on land, but there will probably be no footfalls. The reasoning is three-fold:

First, Kamo is intended as an underwater legendary for its visual effects (chomp animation with critical hits features a shark materializing out of water, and bubbles on the character), while the new spear will be a terrestrial legendary. The new spear will have footfalls and whatever other effects they come up with.

Second, not adding effects to Kamo will serve to incentivize playing the expansion to get the new spear that will have terrestrial effects.

Third, creating a legendary that will have different behaviors/visual effects depending on whether it's in water or on land is probably not possible for them.

We can only hope for an overhaul of Kamo and making both legendary spears have different effects depending on whether they are in water or on land. It would be nice, but I just don't see that happening for those three reasons.

Incentivizing players by making an older item worse is a bad concept (not to mention the new legendary spear can also be used underwater, so your point of Kotaki being underwater-exclusive is completely moot). ALL legendary weapons should have footfalls, without exception, footfalls are one of the major selling points of legendary weapons. This is also why one of the main complaints of legendary weapons is when dual-wielding 2 different legendary weapons, only the main-hand footfalls are applied and not both of the equipped weapons.

It being an underwater weapon means nothing, since underwater you won't be making contact with the floor to generate any footfalls, you can already see that by swimming above water with any legendary weapon.

Only reason that may be reasonable is that they can't do it because of the spaghetti code. But iirc some legendary weapons had missing effects that were added later at some point, so we can probably expect for Kotaki to get its footfalls at some point, so long Anet actually tries to do so.

Edited by Mor The Thief.9135
  • Confused 1

Hopefully really wet ones and maybe with fish flopping around. Imagine tiny 'Krytan Floppy Fish' randomly splashing around in the puddles your steps spawn. 

IDK if they'd keep the Shark on crit since it'd be more noticeable/obstructing on land~ it might just end up changed to a kill animation or made less frequent? It can eat the floppy fish. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

I would be surprised if they haven't thought of this.

I wouldn't. It's such an insignificant detail that honestly doesn't matter, especially since most people will just reskin it.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

I would be surprised if they haven't thought of this.

Considering they forgot about legendary runes when implementing relics.

I dont think it is as far fetched as you seem to think.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I pretty much guarantee they didn’t forget about Legendary Relics and had one on their internal roadmap before SOTO was announced. It is just conceivable that they didn’t consider how people with legendary runes would react to removing the  6th bonus from runes but I think it is much more likely they discussed it internally and hoped the reaction would be manageable (in which case they underestimated). I think they also hoped to avoid giving out free legendary relics but enough of a furor occurred that they decided to change plans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Considering they forgot about legendary runes when implementing relics.

I dont think it is as far fetched as you seem to think.

I doubt they "forgot" Legendary runes at all, they just didn't particularly care as new types of Relics were intended to be a big lure for all expansions going forward.

Anyway it'd be nice to have some kind of footfalls but I doubt they will bother going back to update an old weapon.

• Like 1