Additional Mount Updates in Future Mini-Expacs

Posted (edited)

Based on SotO (Skyscale) and JW (Warclaw), assuming they continue the trend, it seems like each mini-expac features a new major mount update/overhaul. What other mount update feature(s) would you be interested in? Personally, I was thinking of a springer update where they can do double hops and have some kind of hop/knockdown attack while mounted or a jackal update where they can do wall climbing (like the commonly requested lizard/spider mount would do).

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

• Poormany.4507 changed the title to Additional Mount Updates in Future Mini-Expacs

Skyscale fireball is mandatory for Soto, and i assume the new warclaw skills will be mandatory for Janthir Wilds. The new acquisition method for skyscale was also necessary for the expac to be self-contained. Each of the mounts is only mandatory for the maps they were released on, apart from roller beetle and griffon, which are basically luxury mounts. I would not expect any existing mount to be upgraded in the future.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Jackal seems to be the one with most potential given its teleport/portal mechanics. I wouldn’t be surprised to see further masteries and use for it, esp if we go back to Elona

I think the turtle has further potential too if we go back to Cantha

But the next one to get additions is almost certainly the skiff. There is so much they can do with from bigger crews, cannons etc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe they could a skill to mounts that allow to loot different objects from predefined targets for the base mounts with different tiers. Or some other utility skill that isn’t combat nor mobility related, like with other interactive elements.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 6/9/2024 at 5:03 PM, Funky.4861 said:

Skyscale fireball is mandatory for Soto, and i assume the new warclaw skills will be mandatory for Janthir Wilds. The new acquisition method for skyscale was also necessary for the expac to be self-contained. Each of the mounts is only mandatory for the maps they were released on, apart from roller beetle and griffon, which are basically luxury mounts. I would not expect any existing mount to be upgraded in the future.

That would hold true if skyscale just got fireball, but it didn't; it got updraft and ley line use as well, which it shared with griffon, which was not part of the expansion at all. Warclaw has also never had a mastery line, unlike skyscale, so we don't know whether it's going to have a final mastery which it shares with all other mounts like most PoF mounts + turtle do, be like SotO skyscale where it shares masteries with select other mounts, or be like griffon/beetle/LW4 skyscale where it's completely self-contained and shares nothing at all.

Until/unless we get a mastery track preview like we did for skyscale with SotO, anything's on the table.

• Like 2

Probably an unusual choice, but I'd have to go with skimmer. At the moment it's the only mount that functions underwater, but it has no movement skills while there to speed up or anything so it still doesn't really compare to land-based movement options. It'd be neat to see it get a bit more underwater utility, maybe a double-tap to dash while releasing a knockback wave or something. That'd be a nice matchup for a future underwater combat rework + expansion, too.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/17/2024 at 8:34 PM, Manpag.6421 said:

That would hold true if skyscale just got fireball, but it didn't; it got updraft and ley line use as well, which it shared with griffon, which was not part of the expansion at all. Warclaw has also never had a mastery line, unlike skyscale, so we don't know whether it's going to have a final mastery which it shares with all other mounts like most PoF mounts + turtle do, be like SotO skyscale where it shares masteries with select other mounts, or be like griffon/beetle/LW4 skyscale where it's completely self-contained and shares nothing at all.

Until/unless we get a mastery track preview like we did for skyscale with SotO, anything's on the table.

I really wouldn't get my hopes up. Prepare for disappointment and you won't be disappointed.

• Sad 1

I think if we see an underwater revamp expac, Skimmer will likely get updates. Although personally I would much rather we get a new, speedy Kraken mount and let Skimmer remain its leisurely self.

I also think turtle had a lot of missed potential for underwater content, so I could see them reusing it as a means of unlocking underwater map secrets like roller beetle had above ground. But I don't think it really needs any *new* features.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 6/17/2024 at 12:34 PM, Manpag.6421 said:

Warclaw has also never had a mastery line,

warclaw's mastery line/original mastery line exists in the area it was introduced in, same as any other mount. it's just that warclaw's original area is WvW. 

Warclaw - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) 

Since one of these is related to spears, warclaw fits very nicely in the upcoming content.

Edited by willow.8209
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, willow.8209 said:

warclaw's mastery line/original mastery line exists in the area it was introduced in, same as any other mount. it's just that warclaw's original area is WvW. 

Fair point, I never really saw the WvW upgrades as masteries because they're not account-wide and work independently of "true" masteries (e.g. gliding that needs unlocking separately even if you have the masteries on your account), but they are the closest thing it has to a mastery line. Still, not sure how much we can take from that when the WvW abilities are also getting an overhaul with JW.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Manpag.6421 said:

I never really saw the WvW upgrades as masteries because they're not account-wide

true that the points have to be spent separately, but each character has access to the points any character on the account has earned. so i personally class them as mastery. Definitely different from the other masteries tho: It'd be like if you could choose a character to go all out on fishing, while another is going all out on Arborstone revitalization. 

whether it tells us anything about future mounts, hard to say. To me it seems like, based on what we've seen so far, another mount update would be plausible if it thematically matched an expac, and/or if it just was considered to need it for some reason. 

• Like 2

Interesting topic, I see what anet is doing as more of a "How can we get more from less" than adding anything new. You can say they're adding new mount functionality with each expac but really what they've done is 1) enable the one mount everyone uses for everyone who buys the new expac and 2) leveraged an existing mount for the new expac rather than creating a new mount. Which is actually what they did for wvw when they created the warclaw, which is just a griffon that can't fly ; p

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/19/2024 at 8:15 AM, Timey.6853 said:

Probably an unusual choice, but I'd have to go with skimmer. At the moment it's the only mount that functions underwater, but it has no movement skills while there to speed up or anything so it still doesn't really compare to land-based movement options. It'd be neat to see it get a bit more underwater utility, maybe a double-tap to dash while releasing a knockback wave or something. That'd be a nice matchup for a future underwater combat rework + expansion, too.

More like creating a whirlpool underwater, pulling enemies together like raptor, skimmer already has spinning idle animation and add push back to land engage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Nuldric.1239 said:

More like creating a whirlpool underwater, pulling enemies together like raptor, skimmer already has spinning idle animation and add push back to land engage.

I like this idea. Some other possible fun skimmer skills could be something like creating a bubble shield/barrier in front of you (kind of like those Forged mages do on land) or creating waves to knock enemies back. I definitely feel like those would come with an underwater revamp update though, which does seem likely to happen since they seem to be going after "commonly asked player QOL features" as main (mini)-expac features nowadays and an underwater revamp has been requested just about as much (if not more) so than player housing.

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Poormany.4507 said:

I definitely feel like those would come with an underwater revamp update though, which does seem likely to happen since they seem to be going after "commonly asked player QOL features" as main (mini)-expac features nowadays and an underwater revamp has been requested just about as much (if not more) so than player housing.

Yea, also with legendary trident so you can rule seven seas 😂

Edited by Nuldric.1239
  • Thanks 1

When they add the Coastline Borderline with Aquatic Sieges, both Skimmer and Siege Turtle will be adquirable and will have new actions for such WvW map.

Skimmer will have 3 new skills:
long range piercing harpoon - High single target damage, does shield damage, specially effective against Submarines and Siege Turtle shell barriers.
short range explosive harpoon - AoE explosive damage, doesn't do shield damage, but cripples and bleeds underwater targets like players.
Net Mines - Deploys 5 underwater mines that explode releasing multiple nets in an area, these nets trap other Skimmers and dismount players, also trap players that are unmounted.

Siege Turtle will have 3 new skills: 
Shell Barrier - Huge barrier that repels most incoming damage arround the Siege Turtle.
Siege Torpedos - Releases 2 torpedos that do critical damage to Subamarines, Corsair Ships and Underwater Gates.
Destroyer Mines - Releases underwater mines that surface and detonate, causing heavy damage to surface siming skimmers, players, and ships.

All that is totally coming in my totally not made up and very realistic expectation of a very engaging borderline with coastal features and underwater player and siege combat. 

Soon™

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Honestly, I know it's Skyscale again, but the one mount mechanic that constantly frustrates me is the altitude drop off while flying laterally.

So the mount update I would be most interested in would be something akin to : 

Vigorous Wings - Flying laterally will no longer consume the flight meter.

• Confused 6

6 hours ago, Vallune.8150 said:

Honestly, I know it's Skyscale again, but the one mount mechanic that constantly frustrates me is the altitude drop off while flying laterally.

So the mount update I would be most interested in would be something akin to : 

Vigorous Wings - Flying laterally will no longer consume the flight meter.

Do not want. Having to manage skyscale altitude is one of the best things about GW2's skyscale implementation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Vallune.8150 said:

I have excellent news for you, then: griffon exists, allowing long-distance lateral flight with not very much altitude drop off.

With mount energy and turtle pilot boosters, the siege turtle also enjoys a similar lateral flight range to the skyscale with no altitude drop off.

You have options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2024 at 12:07 AM, Manpag.6421 said:

I have excellent news for you, then: griffon exists, allowing long-distance lateral flight with not very much altitude drop off.

With mount energy and turtle pilot boosters, the siege turtle also enjoys a similar lateral flight range to the skyscale with no altitude drop off.

You have options.

Exactly, skyscale doesn't need more buffs.

Edited by Sobx.1758

Attach in the Turtle a Skyscale (faster turning speed) or Roller beetle (faster straight-backwaords acceleration) , and create a button that will attach the enemy and will try to escape from it (like the npcs will moves backwards to escape the main player) , allowing the driver to man the extra guns . And place even 2 more for for more people to hop on for  some battleship vs Boss action.

Edit: Or attach player skiff with cannons , so the Turtle becomes like the last ship in the"Battlehip" movie....

Spoiler

Edit: Or the mounts that is dragged like the Ferari from Asterix , always goes into straight line , ands you can guide it with throwing hooks left or right

Or Missile side panels  open in the sides of the Turtles and whoever player interact with it , is catapulted as Missile  and does an aoe where it lands and various hooks in various locations , like Thresh latterns to be re-armed , by interacting it it  ....

Edit2:Or rather than missiles , people become electric -ranged-spear forms that rain  lighting -spears from above , till they launch the ground

Or mounts have differents elements . Fire-bunny can do  a fire dash+ circle area and Switch to a Water turtle (where the water evaporatees and oxygen fuel the fire) and you are yeeted off some meters.

Or Earth Bunny at his jump , raiseu p many rocks and you can switch to to Air Jackal to leviate them and jump over them for few sec , or an extra button that throw them in the enemy you are targeting

And F2-F4 elements buttons that is shared withing mounts and each  elements in Mounts is RNG every 1 min (but show their icons ontop )

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Confused 3