Warrior Spear

Kunavi.2407

I guess this is a bit of a rant really, nothing more; Here's to hoping spears on Warrior are actually melee DPS weapons and not some innovation for the sake of innovating with the class. I say that even though I love staff healing on it and play it almost exclusively now... Which in part, is due to Berserker being by far the most effective, intuitive and fun straight up melee DPS for the class, for all types of content... And I'm bored to death of it because of that.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

Ranged please.

The new ranged/melee switchover mechanic for the autoattack chain of the ranger would be fine. too But i,deally I want a long range power dps weapon. Rifle just doesn't do it for me. Maybe even have a flip over gap closer skill like a pull where you throw the spear (1200 range) and impale your enemy causing constant bleeding damage or something, and can then choose to hit the skill button again to yank them to your feet. The teaser trailer seems to show a ranged warrior burst skill, so I'm hoping the rest of the skillset is ranged.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Yeah, hoping for ranged too. I do feel like we are well fed on melee options. Sword, greatsword, hammer, mace, staff, axe, dagger Vs Rifle, longbow and pistol

Pistol is also melee on Warrior though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Unless it's very heavy on conditions (at least Revenant Shortbow numbers during its prime days), Spear absolutely ought to not be melee.

We already have more than enough power melee weapons.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

It most definitely should be power dps ranged.

Warrior has 3 good power builds (berserker, Spb, bladesworn) and 1 good condi build (berserker). Considering that sword/sword or sword/torch & LB condizerker is absolutely fine, I'd prefer a ranged power weapon we can play across all 3 specs.

Edited by firedragon.8953
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firedragon.8953 said:

It most definitely should be power dps ranged.

Warrior has 3 good power builds (berserker, Spb, bladesworn) and 1 good condi build (berserker). Considering that sword/sword or sword/torch & LB condizerker is absolutely fine, I'd prefer a ranged power weapon we can play across all 3 specs.

Concur, warrior needs a viable ranged power weapon. Rifle was supposed to be it... and it's not.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, firedragon.8953 said:

...Maybe even have a flip over gap closer skill like a pull where you throw the spear (1200 range) and impale your enemy causing constant bleeding damage or something, and can then choose to hit the skill button again to yank them to your feet. The teaser trailer seems to show a ranged warrior burst skill, so I'm hoping the rest of the skillset is ranged.

GET OVER HERE!

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Kunavi.2407 said:

I guess this is a bit of a rant really, nothing more; Here's to hoping spears on Warrior are actually melee DPS weapons and not some innovation for the sake of innovating with the class. I say that even though I love staff healing on it and play it almost exclusively now... Which in part, is due to Berserker being by far the most effective, intuitive and fun straight up melee DPS for the class, for all types of content... And I'm bored to death of it because of that.

I hope it'll be a proper Condi weapon, Warriors have so few of those, and then traits are being reworked to also support the spear in addition to the sword.

20 hours ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Warrior needs more ranged weapons so I'm hoping it's that instead. 

They need the ranged weapons they have to work properly first. The rifle is so scuffed.

Personally I think that rifle should be fixed instead of introducing new weapon to serve same role.

I could see warrior spear as a ranged-melee hybrid weapon similar to the rangers, regardless if power or condi.

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Trejgon.9367 said:

Personally I think that rifle should be fixed instead of introducing new weapon to serve same role.

Yeah, that too. But the reason I initially said I'd like it to be melee is because unlike some, I think BladeSworn failed in the end and SpellBreaker should be BoonDPS with Alac or Quickness choices. I dunno, as said, just my take on it. If it's ranged I'll just not use it, rifle should have been that.

12 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

I hope it'll be a proper Condi weapon, Warriors have so few of those

I always wanted dual swords to be really good for a condi Warrior but even as condi Zerker you mostly wanna camp bow. Or at least when last I looked it up. That said, if spear ends up being a condi melee, sure. I mean it can have like 1 ranged move I guess... Just not fully ranged.

On 6/9/2024 at 1:41 PM, Kunavi.2407 said:

Here's to hoping spears on Warrior are actually melee DPS weapons

Another one?

Warrior has by far the most weapons among all classes and yet only two ranged ones, Longbow and Rifle. Even Pistol is melee.
Longbow is fine for condi, but Rifle sucks hard.

In other words, from the 17 land weapons Warrior can use, there is no viable (or even okayish) ranged power weapon.

From the 17 weapons 9 are melee power dps weapons. That's more than the half. And all of them are viable.

9 viable melee power weapons vs. 1 sucking ranged one.

Yeah, I don't think Warrior needs more melee options.

• Thanks 3

22 hours ago, Trejgon.9367 said:

I could see warrior spear as a ranged-melee hybrid weapon similar to the rangers, regardless if power or condi.

You can argue they should fix rifle sure, but that doesn't remove the imbalance between ranged and melee choices. Warrior absolutely does not need another melee weapon. 

• Thanks 1

Things that Warrior needs for its kit:

• Ranged DPS, power or condi
  • MH 900 range weapon
  • 2H melee condi dps weapon
  • More 900-1200 range pulls

Things that Warrior absolutely, positively does not need ever:

• A new offhand weapon
  • A new power DPS melee weapon
  • Melee MH pistol (or offhand for that matter...)
  • Extra holes in the head
  • Telegraphed attacks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Things that Warrior absolutely, positively does not need ever:

• A new offhand weapon
  • A new power DPS melee weapon
  • Melee MH pistol (or offhand for that matter...)
  • Extra holes in the head
  • Telegraphed attacks

How about ally targeting? 😏

• Haha 2

On 6/11/2024 at 7:06 AM, Kunavi.2407 said:

I always wanted dual swords to be really good for a condi Warrior but even as condi Zerker you mostly wanna camp bow.

Dual swords are meta for condizerker. You don't camp bow. You want to be swapping weapons almost nonstop.  You want to do 2 (or 3 if using blood reckoning) primal bursts on longbow and switch to sword and do 1 primal burst. Riposite is pretty strong if you can get the block, and final thrust is big dps when target is under 50% HP. Impale stacks extra conditions for extra spice. Also Savage Leap offers great mobility and gives you fire aura when using it in your own fire fields. Off-hand sword is very competitive with torch, and arguably better from a pure dps standpoint.

What I hope for is a good hybrid (melee/range) weapon.
Something to fix what Rifle and Greatsword failed to do right.

Oh and a small bonus cherry on top - something that does not require Berserker e-spec
to actually start functioning properly (or at least closer to it).

• Confused 1

On 6/11/2024 at 6:59 AM, kiroho.4738 said:

Yeah, I don't think Warrior needs more melee options.

Even so, a spear is a melee weapon. I really don't mind Warrior getting more ranged options, I'm saying the spear specifically is one I'd prefer as melee because that's what it is, and I like spears. That's all really. Like, in my mind it could have really nice melee animations and all.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Kunavi.2407 said:

Even so, a spear is a melee weapon.

That's really no argument.

With Ranger preview they already showed that there is no problem using spear as ranged weapons.
Underwater some classes use it as ranged weapon as well.
Not to mention that GW2 is a fantasy game. We use greatswords and hammers as ranged weapons, axes to cast spells and shoot magical blades with daggers.

By arguing with spear being a melee weapon you literally ignore everything about weapons in GW2, from the very release to the most recent announcement.
You even ignore GW1, where spears where widely (and only) used as ranged weapons.

PS: Every class will get a spear, so I think there will be some really nice melee animations included.
However, Warrior really needs a proper ranged power weapon. An imo Warrior deserves the Paragon treatment after such a long time and with Spellbreaker being literally the successor of the original Paragon class.

Let them throw that kitten spear. ^^

Edited by kiroho.4738
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1