A First Look at Homesteads: Exclusive Preview from PC Gamer [Merged]

Rubi Bayer.8493

• ArenaNet Staff

Homesteads launch on August 20th with the Janthir Wilds expansion!

Homesteads are a significant evolution of the home instances players are familiar with (although they aren't replacing home instances–those will still be around!), offering an enhanced experience for personalizing and upgrading your in-game sanctuary. Items previously collected in home instances can be seamlessly integrated into the new homesteads, ensuring continuity and familiarity. Players can increase their comfort level through various activities such as harvesting nodes, watering flowers, fishing, swimming, chopping trees, watching cats do cat things, and much more, all within the confines of their homestead.

Customization is at the heart of the Homesteads feature, allowing players to tailor their space to their aesthetic preferences. New and existing decorations will be craftable through the new personal scribing crafting discipline. Additionally, players can stable their mounts at their homestead, giving them a much-needed rest after long journeys. Alt characters will also be making an appearance, adding another personal touch to each homestead.

For a more complete overview of Homesteads check out PC Gamer's exclusive preview

08.thumb.png.d69e0499b5ecee2f712ba44dc1db9a0f.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 7

Sounds great!  Can't wait.  :classic_biggrin:

After watching the video, I think players will be pleasantly surprised.  Walls, 800 decorations, 3d movement and sizing.  Mounts and alts.  Instant gathering.  1000 placed decoration limit. And so much more!

Seems like many of the things players asked for will be available.

Well done!!

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
more info
  • Like 9

At first I wasn't really all that interested in homesteads, but now I'm all hyped! Those sound like great features!

What I also wish we'll be able to do is to have NPCs that were an important part of your personal story show up in your homestead, like the members of your Warband if you're Charr, your krewe if your Asura, etc.
I honestly care more about those NPCs than displaying my unlocked armor/weapon sets 😅

• Like 10

Alt parking, nice. Stable for mounts, nice. 

Instance gathering, amazing. 

1000 decorations limit, meh.
Hopefully the new decoration placement options will also be available for guildhalls [Edit]It will be ported to guildhalls.

Oh wow the weapon stands are awesome

I was somewhat hesitant when they said, player housing. But this is really awesome. it's seems like it will be 10 x better than i expected.

Edited by Cronospere.8143
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, MunkeeBreath.9165 said:

Alt characters making an appearance!!! LETS GOOOO I THINK THAT FEATURE IS AWESOME!!!

Totally. I know someone that will LOVE this. And for me, putting the mounts there is also amazing, like TESO. Being able to fuse objects into anothers with no limit, yeah. This is going into a great direction! Maybe with some time your alts will be able to follow you in open world? This can be a first step

• Like 2

I appreciate that there are no perks to homesteads which make me feel forced to engage with them.  Homesteads have absolutely 0 appeal to me and as a major feature of the next expansion, I am going to wait until its deeply discounted before buying it. 

The story content since IBS has lacked quality, and Spear while interesting isn't enough of a draw alone to buy this expac.  Really cant see a reason to get this expac. 

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 16

I was a bit disappointed when I saw the same decorations that we already have for guild halls, but that gizmo axis to scale and rotate the objects impressed me. Plus, it's exactly the same used in Unity, so although a bit clunky, I'm now familiar with it.

I also liked the option to gather all the nodes at once. Maybe I will re-evaluate my retirement from the game, due to the increased amount of daily and weekly chores that we currently have to do, compared to years ago.

• Like 4

So I know the automatic gather will not be at launch, but my question is. Do glyphs like volatile magic apply to that system? One of the reason why many players use home instance is because of the ludicrous amount of volatile magic gathered from home instance using said glyphs. Will we be able to apply glyph effects to home instance? It seems to me you rather have people playing than being stuck 5-10 minutes gathering. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Priestes Of Dragons.5287 said:

Are guild leaders/players who have already made decorations for their guild halls going to have access to those decorations for their homesteads? Or will this be completely refresh and start from scratch kinda deal ^^

I think it is separated. 
Imagine a single player stealing a bunch of deco's worth thousands of gold. 
I can already see the posts incoming.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nimajeb.6843 said:

So I know the automatic gather will not be at launch, but my question is. Do glyphs like volatile magic apply to that system? One of the reason why many players use home instance is because of the ludicrous amount of volatile magic gathered from home instance using said glyphs. Will we be able to apply glyph effects to home instance? It seems to me you rather have people playing than being stuck 5-10 minutes gathering. 

If you look at the video you see the gathering boxes also has a manage glyphs option. So i guess that will answer your question

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It's very cool, very excited.

On small thing I hope they change some day: Irrespective of resting experience, or caring about that, it would be nice to be able to select 1-to-many of your alts and place them where you want in the instance "regardless" of where they are in the world. It seems like a bit of a quality demotion to move alts away from being parked at monies for moar chicken to get to hang out with them at home.

Or stage a big beach party down by the dock. I'm not saying "I" would do that...but some people.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3