You should have started with JW.

Don't get me wrong, no one knew how bad SOTO was going to be, and for all we know once the honeymoon phase is over and JW is past all its updates it could potentially be as bad, if not worse. But frankly with a new weapon being thrown into the mix as well as decent looking decoration stuff with homesteading you may have been able to convince me to purchase this expansion. You know the saying, "Put your best foot forward," it rings true to this day, and moving from full on expansions years between to lesser expansions that take less time to make was a bold move, especially since EOD was considered 'mid' at best. You had a chance to prove yourselves, but you put the wrong foot forward. SOTO was so bad I honestly feel embarrassed that for a moment I believed this game had a future past EOD. Maybe it still does in JW, but I'm not sticking around to find out.

On the brought side, I can appreciate you giving me reason to pick away at my eternal backlog, and even though I'm not playing anymore I can watch videos of people building stuff with the JW update. Looking forward to that at least.

• Like 1
  • Confused 25
  • Sad 2

SOTO was their first "annual expansion". It was obvious it will be significantly worse than previous expansions but as every other company, even Anet has to learn when they decide to do something new or different. Annual expansions is one of that things so they probably learned from SOTO. 
But you never know, maybe even JW can end up being bad at the end.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, HearldofTime.8294 said:

On the brought side, I can appreciate you giving me reason to pick away at my eternal backlog, and even though I'm not playing anymore I can watch videos of people building stuff with the JW update. Looking forward to that at least.

You really shouldn't act like this game has to be a full-time job. This game is a casual's dream in that you are able to enjoy it while still making time to play other games. You don't have to play all day every day.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

You really shouldn't act like this game has to be a full-time job. This game is a casual's dream in that you are able to enjoy it while still making time to play other games. You don't have to play all day every day.

Uh... what made you think I treat this game like a full-time job? I've always been on and off with this game, its only SOTO that's broken the mold, the itch that once needed scratching every now and again is gone. This sounds like a mild case of deflection.

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1

You're assuming that JW would be of the same (speculative) quality that it is even if it came out before SOTO, but that's not realistic. Anet had to learn from their mistakes with SOTO in order to make JW better (again, we're being optimistic).

In another universe, you'd be making a thread complaining about how bad JW is and that SOTO should have come first because it looks so good in comparison.

Edited by XSevSpreeX.2143
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I thought SotO was much better than EoD until the last part, then it dropped to just better than EoD, but since I think EoD was the worst expansion I have ever played that does not mean much.  I did not pre order SotO,  EoD pushed me away from pre ordering and when I did buy I got the lowest version.  EoD has also caused me to stop spending money for gems.  SotO saw me start spending money for gems and I had planned to pre order the next expac, but the last part of SotO has me back to not spending and not pre ordering.  I still plan to get JW, just not in a hurry.  The point of all that is that I am sorry to hear that you hated SotO that much, but for me waiting years for the terrible content that was/is EoD was worse, SotO was a bit of a redemption.

• Like 2

SoTO isn't all bad but it does  have issues. But for me it seems odd to compare an existing expansion with one that hasn't even come out yet. SoTO was set to do some things that many people liked and then it was disappointing to a lot of people. So let's hope JaWi will not be as disappointing.

It does look pretty good now but will they be able to deliver? So spears are pretty cool but housing is not for everybody and people were excited about weapon mastery before SoTO hit. And I still think that was a really nice thing. The main issues, as I see it, is that SoTO didn't deliver on story and if you don't care about the Obsidian armor sets, you essentially had no reason to play SoTO after you complete the story and masteries.

So what if you don't care about housing (personally I do but I know it's not for everybody) and the story is still disappointing? People might still end up thinking that SoTO is better than JaWi. So let's wait and see, is what I'm saying.

• Like 4

Correct 

What Gw2 desperately needed was a pallet cleanser expansion. It's a normal thing as an example after WoW has a very serious and major moment they toss in a MoP style expansion. A more lighthearted and whimsical tale to reset the serious tone before the next outing. FF14 has the upcoming Dawntrail and Shadowbringers also served this role by resting us in a brand new world away from previous accomplishment.

Gw2 did this too after the massive build up and tension of core we went to Southsun but we haven't done that since. Just nonstop dragon, lich, and end of world nonsense and while Soto felt like it might be the low stakes cleanser we had demons throughout.

Janthir needs to be a traditional pallet cleansing expansion especially because we had icebrood, EoD, and Soto back to back without even a cool down we left Cantha in a hurry.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, HearldofTime.8294 said:

Uh... what made you think I treat this game like a full-time job? I've always been on and off with this game, its only SOTO that's broken the mold, the itch that once needed scratching every now and again is gone. This sounds like a mild case of deflection.

Maybe don't word your post implying that GW2 was preventing you from playing other games, then. Look at the specific stuff I quoted you on.

Besides, what do you care? You aren't playing the game anymore.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, XSevSpreeX.2143 said:

You're assuming that JW would be of the same (speculative) quality that it is even if it came out before SOTO, but that's not realistic. Anet had to learn from their mistakes with SOTO in order to make JW better (again, we're being optimistic).

In another universe, you'd be making a thread complaining about how bad JW is and that SOTO should have come first because it looks so good in comparison.

How did you know I traveled from the Mists and entered an alternate reality!?

16 hours ago, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

Can I have your stuff

Can I have yours? I know I'm quitting but it'll be funnier to see even more stuff just collect dust.

9 hours ago, Doam.8305 said:

Correct 

What Gw2 desperately needed was a pallet cleanser expansion. It's a normal thing as an example after WoW has a very serious and major moment they toss in a MoP style expansion. A more lighthearted and whimsical tale to reset the serious tone before the next outing. FF14 has the upcoming Dawntrail and Shadowbringers also served this role by resting us in a brand new world away from previous accomplishment.

Gw2 did this too after the massive build up and tension of core we went to Southsun but we haven't done that since. Just nonstop dragon, lich, and end of world nonsense and while Soto felt like it might be the low stakes cleanser we had demons throughout.

Janthir needs to be a traditional pallet cleansing expansion especially because we had icebrood, EoD, and Soto back to back without even a cool down we left Cantha in a hurry.

Bro you missed the point entirely. HoT and PoF was loved (for the most part) and the 'cooldown' came with LS3 and 4 which also helped build up more. EoD really was the 'End.' The end of what the series has been building up to. Now what? SOTO answered that question as... 'Nothing.'

6 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Maybe don't word your post implying that GW2 was preventing you from playing other games, then. Look at the specific stuff I quoted you on.

Besides, what do you care? You aren't playing the game anymore.

I kind of care, I mean I did invest a lot of time into this game. Also the part you quoted from my first post I still don't see how that translated to me treating GW2 like a full-time job. It really sounds like you were personally assaulted by me quitting this game and attempted to perform some vague type of deflection.

Anyhow, I probably won't look at this thread(or website ever again.) Time to enjoy some cozy Rune Factory 5.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

5 hours ago, HearldofTime.8294 said:

I kind of care, I mean I did invest a lot of time into this game. Also the part you quoted from my first post I still don't see how that translated to me treating GW2 like a full-time job. It really sounds like you were personally assaulted by me quitting this game and attempted to perform some vague type of deflection.

You have no idea what assault (or deflection for that matter) means, do you?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

"I don't play anymore and despite not really knowing what the next expansion will play like, I already decided it will be better and they should have released it first!"

What a bizarre thread. Like.. putting all of it being mostly a blind guess aside, what is the point of announcing you might have bought it in another timeline but you won't?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3

While yes, this is a bizarre thread, I am actually going to say that I semi-agree, in a roundabout way.

If Janthir Wilds ends up having a lot of Norn and Kodan worldbuilding that should have been in the original IBS and subsequent saga, JW absolutely should have come before SotO AND EoD.

Although I suspect this is going to have a lot of non-IBS stuff in it as well, like Mursaat, White Mantle, giants, etc. But IF it does feel like IBS-part-two, then OP is kiiiiind of correct.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

Can we normalize not giving the time of day to players raging on alt accounts and being nonsensical? 

I don't need to know that this guy is "gonna stop playing" or "not gonna buy the next expansion", as the majority of his comments on this forum suggest.

This thread is offering no value to this forum or to the GW2 community.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Batalix.2873 said:

While yes, this is a bizarre thread, I am actually going to say that I semi-agree, in a roundabout way.

If Janthir Wilds ends up having a lot of Norn and Kodan worldbuilding that should have been in the original IBS and subsequent saga, JW absolutely should have come before SotO AND EoD.

Although I suspect this is going to have a lot of non-IBS stuff in it as well, like Mursaat, White Mantle, giants, etc. But IF it does feel like IBS-part-two, then OP is kiiiiind of correct.

Wait, story wise? Nah. JW would be a much weirder way to introduce the Astral Ward to the Commander than SOTO. I like how we got introduced to them on their own turf and the first part of the SOTO story before it went downhill in Nayos. Jumping onto the Isle of Janthir and being confronted by them there, learning about them, and also having to explain why they are so involved guarding a place in Tyria when they are supposed to not have involvement on Tyria? Sounds like a bit much, and it probably would muck up the story there.

It could have given us more time to bond with Maboon before his fate in SOTO though, I will give you that. But meeting them in SOTO should almost definitely give us less a convoluted story in JW.

Edited by Gaiawolf.8261
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

Wait, story wise? Nah. JW would be a much weirder way to introduce the Astral Ward to the Commander than SOTO. I like how we got introduced to them on their own turf and the first part of the SOTO story before it went downhill in Nayos. Jumping onto the Isle of Janthir and being confronted by them there, learning about them, and also having to explain why they are so involved guarding a place in Tyria when they are supposed to not have involvement on Tyria? Sounds like a bit much, and it probably would muck up the story there.

It could have given us more time to bond with Maboon before his fate in SOTO though, I will give you that. But meeting them in SOTO should almost definitely give us less a convoluted story in JW.

My point is that Janthir Wilds might have made more sense as part of the IBS saga, and therefore should have released before SotO. Has nothing to do with the introduction of the astral ward.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Batalix.2873 said:

My point is that Janthir Wilds might have made more sense as part of the IBS saga, and therefore should have released before SotO. Has nothing to do with the introduction of the astral ward.

Except the Astral Ward have been guarding the Isle of Janthir, so you'd run into them whenever you go there.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 10:42 AM, DarcShriek.5829 said:

It's not so much that they should have started with JW, it's that SOTO should have been better.

Agreed.

If they didn't have time to do justice to their ideas then they should have scaled back the implementation in order to deliver a better, even if smaller, product. SotO was not their first rodeo, they had more than enough experience developing for this game to recognize their limitations under the new time constraints. This is a management error.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

On 6/29/2024 at 11:51 PM, HearldofTime.8294 said:

Don't get me wrong, no one knew how bad SOTO was going to be, and for all we know once the honeymoon phase is over and JW is past all its updates it could potentially be as bad, if not worse. But frankly with a new weapon being thrown into the mix as well as decent looking decoration stuff with homesteading you may have been able to convince me to purchase this expansion. You know the saying, "Put your best foot forward," it rings true to this day, and moving from full on expansions years between to lesser expansions that take less time to make was a bold move, especially since EOD was considered 'mid' at best. You had a chance to prove yourselves, but you put the wrong foot forward. SOTO was so bad I honestly feel embarrassed that for a moment I believed this game had a future past EOD. Maybe it still does in JW, but I'm not sticking around to find out.

All that rambling, yet unable to understand that the first iteration of something is where people learn the limitations and possibilities of the new system. I'm just glad ANet chose something that ultimately has no impact on the greater lore to make the necessary mistakes that would enable them to learn. We only learn through mistakes. No one learns anything through success other than "keep continuing what I'm doing, it works though I have no idea why?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2024 at 12:34 PM, ShatteredStars.6548 said:

Again, they didn't have the time and they said they didn't, what else do you want them to say.

I don't want them to say anything.  I want better content.  They set the deadlines, they should have spent more time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

Soto was so bad that I had to take a break to re-evaluate why I play the game. I REALLY hope JW is good, but it's a hard sell to pre order when the last expansion actively made me not want to play the game.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1