What kind of group size is your primary reason for coming to WvW?

https://strawpoll.com/wAg3QA79oy8

I recognize that many players play with a wide range of groups, but for this poll please answer with the choice that reflects the majority of your time spent in WvW. 

For myself, while I solo/roam during off-hours and frequently drop in with squads of 10-15 and 15-25, a slim majority of my hours spent in a given week are with alliance guild runs of 35-45. Sometimes less if it's a closed squad of only alliance members. 

• Like 2

Voted. It's a little complicated, because I run with a lot of different groups to experience different approaches to WvW, but the "core" groups that I play with generally cap their squad size at 30. The prevailing belief among competitive fight groups is that you can take on almost any other group with 30 and have a chance to come out on top. Realistically, we're usually closer to 20-25 though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

I like cloud. Endless never stopping cloud fight. I think there is beauty in it u know, chaos and all, if u think about it mass pvp kinda should be like that, not a blob but organic, natural induced collision prevention. 

No need for tags, people just hive on their own moving thru objectives and all if they recondition themselfs from mindles sheep who "any tags" in /t non stop. 

I think cloud really capture the essence and chaos of virtual war, that's my most favorite type of squad. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I checked what my preferecne is because I also run in different sizes.

In the morning we are 5-10. Afternoon 15-25. Evening 25-40. Weekend: 40-50+

What I don't do is running solo.

My feeling good size is 10-25.

I don't join any groups most of the time but I'm still wherever everyone is at. I get like ten to twenty minutes, maybe more, at the end of a workday to vibe and I don't want to disrupt a commander's flow by joining their group and not syncing entirely with them. I still treat everyone there as my group though.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

In addition to this poll, I'm also really curious as to what the spared might be like when compared between EU and NA among the active members on this forum. My understanding is that small-scale groups (<10)  and solo/roamers tend to be more highly represented in NA than they are in EU, but as I've never played on EU I generally take that with a grain of salt. 

This matches my understanding as well. Anecdotally, EU is almost exclusively 50 man groups, while NA has many more 15, 20, 25 man groups running around doing smaller-scale fights with one another.

• Confused 2

It's been a week and the results are quite interesting. 

~41.9% of total responders play in groups of 5 or less. Of those responders 67.7% reported themselves as solo or roamers. 

~32.44% of total responders play in groups of 10-35. Of those responders 54.16% reported themselves as playing with small zergs or guilds of 15-25

~3.05% of total responders play in groups of 35 or higher. A roughly even split between those who prefer maximum sized zergs and those who play with groups between 35-45.

Even more intriguing are the additional subsets of data, in particular votes per country and what those responders chose as their preferential form of group content. USA had the majority of responders, with more than a third playing solo/roam while ~50% play in a maximum group size of 5. With far fewer votes the EU and UK responders also tend to prefer solo/roaming over groups larger than 15. Australia represented most of the SEA/OCX core with a relatively even split between playstyles, though 75% still preferred to play in groups of fewer than 10.  50% of those who play in the largest groups possible (2/4 votes) were the only responders from their respective regions.  

While far from official in any capacity, the results do suggest that a heavy majority of players who respond on this subforum prefer small-scale or solo/roaming play as their playstyle of choice. 

(Data taken as of this minute, roughly 1 week from the original poll. Tap the three dots on the top right of the result page for the vote analytics)

On 7/24/2024 at 9:15 PM, Cael.3960 said:

In addition to this poll, I'm also really curious as to what the spared might be like when compared between EU and NA among the active members on this forum. My understanding is that small-scale groups (<10)  and solo/roamers tend to be more highly represented in NA than they are in EU, but as I've never played on EU I generally take that with a grain of salt. 

On 7/24/2024 at 10:12 PM, Sheff.4851 said:

This matches my understanding as well. Anecdotally, EU is almost exclusively 50 man groups, while NA has many more 15, 20, 25 man groups running around doing smaller-scale fights with one another.

Anecdotally.

I usually play in smaller groups myself, even if I do the occasional larger squad, but open tags are probably more common in EU than in NA, and those can easily start nearing or become 50. Open tags can be both pugmanding/chatmanding, voicemanding or a mix. Inhouses and other types of pre-agreed fights aren't usually 50 vs 50, haha. A more serious guild aims from 10-25 ppl in squad, roamer guilds usually go for 3-10 in my experience.

I think the reason you don't see much talk about it here and get a skewed view on it, is because most of the players regards the forum as a place to go laugh at posts.

Edited by One more for the road.8950
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

And yet when looking ingame ~95% of players run arround in zergs without any intention of capping their numbers voluntarily ...

Solo roamer sees OJs ; runs over to content meets map q of fellow roamers .

Usually works out that way regardless what size you running.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

And yet when looking ingame ~95% of players run arround in zergs without any intention of capping their numbers voluntarily ...

Fake news it’s just 50 solo roamers that happen to be in the same place.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On 7/24/2024 at 10:27 AM, Triptaminas.4789 said:

I like cloud. Endless never stopping cloud fight. I think there is beauty in it u know, chaos and all, if u think about it mass pvp kinda should be like that, not a blob but organic, natural induced collision prevention. 

No need for tags, people just hive on their own moving thru objectives and all if they recondition themselfs from mindles sheep who "any tags" in /t non stop. 

I think cloud really capture the essence and chaos of virtual war, that's my most favorite type of squad. 

I've been waiting for you all my life.

Marry me, right here and right now!

Roy will be our priest and Dawdler.8521 can be our flower girl and ring bearer, lets go!

Edited by Nanogrid.7283
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I think I kind of know another reason why people might think it's all 50 man squads in EU though, I think EU has been more organized with their server discords, so when guild groups are done with their raids they have often moved to the server discord opening the raid to whoever there on voice. And also had more of a tradition of guild commanders doing open tags on server discords outside of guild raids/guild schedule, as well as impromptu leads when content suddenly appear. Server discords were also a good source of information on what was going on where and it was easier to guest guilds or grab a guild guest if you were lacking a couple of people or roles without those people necessarily originally being on the guild discord or having notifications on for the guild discord. And also was a place for commanders that had burned out being on a guild schedule or currently had too much irl to be on a schedule to do tags whenever they did had the time.

All of this mostly during times where there wasn't server drama, discord server split, gatekeeping, attempts of guild takeovers or any of the resident megalomaniacs doing a power grab though, hah.

16 hours ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

Because the forums are not representative of the WvW community or its general population of players. Most of the people on here are the disgruntled/dissatisfied vocal minority. And the people bored at work (me). The standard zergling is satisfied enough right now, is lurking at this thread without commenting, or isn't poking their nose in the forums to begin with.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, One more for the road.8950 said:

I think I kind of know another reason why people might think it's all 50 man squads in EU though....

Nope, zergs have begun referring to clumps of solo players as the organized enemy squads. In discord, they are criticizing the enemy squad leader's moves when there isn't one. And complaining when the non-existent enemy squad disbands from fighting what is really a 40v1.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, cajalbelvue.5319 said:

Nope, zergs have begun referring to clumps of solo players as the organized enemy squads. In discord, they are criticizing the enemy squad leader's moves when there isn't one. And complaining when the non-existent enemy squad disbands from fighting what is really a 40v1.

Oh, that's kinda hillarious, didn't even think of that might be a thing. I am often one of those that move as a somewhat organized cloud, either by myself or in a small group among the others. I guess it could look like a squad acting in weird ways for those that doesn't know better. 

I'm not sure how to vote because the group size I look for depends on my mood at the time.  I might feel like going on full-scale zerg rushes and run the map or I may feel like flipping a couple camps and calling it a day.

2 hours ago, EDOTDOT.9265 said:

I'm not sure how to vote because the group size I look for depends on my mood at the time.  I might feel like going on full-scale zerg rushes and run the map or I may feel like flipping a couple camps and calling it a day.

I admit same, didn't vote since I try and spread my time. Usually start by roaming to see what is around to fight or if there are zergs to try and pick on or if defenses need to be placed, will havoc with some if there are more things to get done or if my side is grouping too much, and then once the invis tags start to call it and there are others to do a pickup group will pugmand. But I like variety personally.

On 7/23/2024 at 5:07 PM, Cael.3960 said:

https://strawpoll.com/wAg3QA79oy8

I recognize that many players play with a wide range of groups, but for this poll please answer with the choice that reflects the majority of your time spent in WvW. 

For myself, while I solo/roam during off-hours and frequently drop in with squads of 10-15 and 15-25, a slim majority of my hours spent in a given week are with alliance guild runs of 35-45. Sometimes less if it's a closed squad of only alliance members. 

What is the poll option for I log in by myself and look/wait for another group of any size to join up with?