Get answers to your top questions regarding the new Homesteads feature! [Merged]

2 minutes ago, Mori.4698 said:

A random request:

Is there any way to include a library? A place to store/unlock all of the random "books" we've collected throughout the years as rewards for pages/tomes collections? The most recent example I can think of is the "Complete Oracle Deck" from Sorrow's Lost but there are tons of others. I'd love to have all of these in one place where I can click through them (and get them out of my one alt's inventory slots).

Please ?

It's not really random, it's been suggested a lot - before and since homesteads announced many times. It's an idea which I think could be interesting, but the issue is probably quite complex. Books go back quite far in the game's history and I'm not sure all are still obtainable. Which means retroactively going through and making them obtainable. And deciding which fits as books. Then designing a UI for them. It's likely something like this is probably going to be way down the line.

I have 2-3 bank tabs full of them since 2013, so I'm ready if they do. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm wondering about something, I could have missed it.. 

The doorways;  Do they disappear from the world map upon entering your homestead? Or will it stay behind for a couple of minutes more?
Secondly, will the UI settings have an option to 'hide all doors of other players'? If not, I do think that would be a good QoL thing for the nearby future, if possible... 

• Like 2

Did someone get, how the glyph selection works, using all three boxes?
I mean, if I have a glyph A and a glyph B and no glyph C (= no third glyph), can I use glyph A on all three storage boxes, getting the glyph A effect three times on the homestead each day? Or will it be use glyph A for one box and when you get to the next box, you can only use glyph B and at the final box, you don't have access to a glyph anymore?

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

Did someone get, how the glyph selection works, using all three boxes?
I mean, if I have a glyph A and a glyph B and no glyph C (= no third glyph), can I use glyph A on all three storage boxes, getting the glyph A effect three times on the homestead each day? Or will it be use glyph A for one box and when you get to the next box, you can only use glyph B and at the final box, you don't have access to a glyph anymore?

Noone knows.

• Thanks 1

Just got around to watching the homestead stream recording. The ability for your alts to show up was such a neat idea when I first heard it, but I'd never been so sure that a cool concept was going to be utterly butchered in execution. Having to log out in the homestead is already going to make this utterly pointless for me. There is an opportunity cost to logging out if you're the kind of person that parks alts at JPs or near event locations, and even if you're not it IS extra hassle to load into the homestead instead of just logging out where you are at the time. I get the sense that almost nobody is going to get much use out of this, unless you have dozens of alts you never use. If they'd just show up there regardless of where you logged out it'd be a start. Then I worried that even if they did show up they'd be dead to the world, which it seems I was right about, glad my alts could take time out of there day to vegetatively stare into the middle distance, can't even have them doing generic things like fishing, training on a testing dummy, or even sitting down. Then to find out they just snap back to a default location all huddled together doing nothing as soon as you leave the instance. At this point if this entire concept was scrapped it'd make no difference at all, extra dev time spent for basically 0 result. Others have asked for neat ideas like seasons or alternative locations, I'm wondering if you're going to be able to put any utility into the homestead. I know you can sit in chairs but other than that is it just putting stuff down to look at? Having crafting stations or training golems would be nice, but I'm wondering if you can even do immersion based things like triggering eating animations when you click on food or turning light sources on and off, even lie in the beds without doing the emote while standing on it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 8/1/2024 at 12:54 PM, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

You don't know that!!!

I'd be willing to pay gems to have my personal house in different locations, and I'm sure a lot of other players would too.

I don't want to pay with gems (straight up and only way)

I want a system that is more thought out!

I hope this is a test to see how it goes and then expand on the system!!

If say this first homestead is indeed a larger area(like a guild hall), this could be equivalent to a mansion sized home.

I'd like to see qtrly releases of new homes(much like new outfits or gliders on sale in gemstore, its a cosmetic!). New homes could be various sizes from small, medium, large and mansions. All different layouts, some open fields, some lots of rooms to decorate, all different design styles(5 races) and more. Eventually some Mansion homes (not all but maybe most) are bought with gems/gold!.

What i definitely don't want is to wait an entire year for a new xpac and get 1 home per year like with guild halls. You could do so much more with this!!! Housing has a HUGE potential!!!!

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Kelly.7019 said:

I don't want to pay with gems (straight up and only way)

I want a system that is more thought out!

I hope this is a test to see how it goes and then expand on the system!!

You mean like Old LA that people kept asking to be re introduced as a gem VIP lounge but because they just put access to it behind earning it with achievements nobody can be bother getting it and every time you go there you don't see anyone about... ?

9 hours ago, Kelly.7019 said:

Housing has a HUGE potential!!!!

Huge money making potential, start releasing skyboxes on the gem store Anet 💰💰💰💰

• Confused 3

13 hours ago, Aravind.9610 said:

Any racial themed homesteads? I'm not a big fan of Norn huts. I wanna see Asuran high tech homes.

if they did it anything like ESO (which they won't cause you know its a different game) when they/ if they expand the system you could have multiple homes like how the vanilla game had multiple maps to start, this expanded housing system could do the same, then after sprinkling in a few more homes rather quickly they could move to a 1 new home per qtrly release themed around that xpac or w/e.  For instance Qtr1 home (varibale size) gold/cheevo/mastery, QTr2= 1 big mansion gem /gold, QTR3 free home(variable size),  QTR 4 = reshuffle previous released homes(variable size) gold/gems

or maybe the previous released homes could happens when ever so if peeps missed the chance at first it would come arouind again much like any other gem store item.

• I always wanted an apartment/townhouse on DR's outer ring
  • What if there were homes nestled below the Grove in those out of bounds places
  • Charr homes in the western woods on the boundary wall
  • Norn homes in snow covered mountain edges on the western side of Hoelbrak
  • Asura homes - plenty of places outside the floating cube of rata, but just there tech design style would be cool anywhere

p.s. of course all the out of bounds places wouldn't actually go there, just their own instanced map, but those were my ideas way back when. those environments might be fun.

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Like 1

I second all those posts asking for different types of homesteads... I appreciate the big plot of land we're getting up there, but for all commander PCs to suddenly be forced to take up residence in the same spot of the world map feels forced... so I hope a later update will let us move our homestead to e.g. the racial cities, or even Lion's Arch, Elona, Cantha, etc.

I think the ultimate player housing experience I had was in Archeage with the open world housing, I know I know, it's technically not possible here AND the AA housing feature also had its huge flaws, but simply for comparison of player housing experiences, here are my thoughts;

AA had a huge open world map, and when housing opened, players rushing to grab land plots for their houses and even having to negotiate the upkeep to retain it over time, which was nice for actually circulating some plots over time as players leave the game and new come in (and obviously flawed because of limited availability... and the casual community would go off the hinges in such a setup, but again, humour me for the concept, not the "PvP"/first-come-first-served flaws.

But the housing areas just felt so alive, going through huge areas in the world with very varied buildings and designs owned by the player base, and not having to enter an instance which is all so uniform and forced into the same environment. Almost complete freedom of placement of stuff on your property, growing stuff, etc.

Are we able to change the look of the actual houses in our homestead or is it Norn huts for all of us?

Edited by vandrefalk.6823

I saw Laranity's YT video about her trying out the Homestead. I think it's great that you can switch between day and night (also with the aurora borealis) which is amazing. That got me thinking though... I'm a big fan of snow and my question therefore is the following: have you thought about seasonal choices? Like the day and night choice but being able to choose between seasons as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yes, but "for now" can mean anything from months to years to never regarding additional Homestead choices. 😉 

In fairness, I do think you should ask the question again after Janthir Wilds has been released / launched. Because for now, the homesteads are part of the Janthir Wilds story and seemingly lore. (Just like the guild halls were themed after the Expansions they came with. + the lore on those areas)
The only way I can imagine them adding more choices would be through either another expansion or maybe in the Southsun Cove area, since Logan has mentioned that he was going to his Southsun House for a vacation at the end of a certain story mission... Though I doubt they'll add other options in the Gemstore. But I guess this is just another case of "Wait and see what happens." for now.

Edited by Mystflower.7319
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/13/2024 at 2:06 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yes, but "for now" can mean anything from months to years to never regarding additional Homestead choices. 😉 

And that's what it is. It's just "not a definite no". Just like new especs won't be added "for now". Maybe never, maybe not, the door is ever so slightly open, forever, because there's no benefit to closing it.

Did we ever find out if guests to our homesteads can use the one click gathering buttons? One of the guilds I belong to has a set time every day when we invite both guildies and non-guildies to the home of those of us who have a full instance. It would be really nice if such guests to our new homesteads could hit those buttons too. 

On 8/12/2024 at 1:03 AM, Kelly.7019 said:

Asura homes - plenty of places outside the floating cube of rata, but just there tech design style would be cool anywhere

The floating asuran platforms and cube like structures would be nice to add as decorations too. I wouldn't mind the norn huts as long as I can decorate it asuran style.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aravind.9610 said:

The floating asuran platforms and cube like structures would be nice to add as decorations too. I wouldn't mind the norn huts as long as I can decorate it asuran style.

Pretty sure it is a Kodan hut.

• Thanks 1

I don't know if this has been asked, if so I apologize for the repeat.

With Guild Halls there is a portal that we can walk out that puts us back into the world. For example if you walk out of Gilded Hollow you are in Auric Basin. My question is, will we have that option with the Homestead?

3 hours ago, Agrotera.1254 said:

I don't know if this has been asked, if so I apologize for the repeat.

With Guild Halls there is a portal that we can walk out that puts us back into the world. For example if you walk out of Gilded Hollow you are in Auric Basin. My question is, will we have that option with the Homestead?

You can see a portal in the video(s); I'd guess yes, then.

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

You can see a portal in the video(s); I'd guess yes, then.

No those are portals to Lion's Arch and the Wizard's Tower. I was wondering about being able to walk through a portal into Janthir Wilds.