Guild wars 3

3 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

How about an actual, public announcement rather then rumor mongering nonsense based purely on speculation and translated lines from meetings that could be translated poorly due to context missing or words not translating one to one?

Also, if you can't believe Anet if they said they aren't working on GW3, then how the hell can you believe them if they say they are? You can't have it be only true one way.

The NCsoft CEO that OWNS Arenanet have confirmed that Anet is working on Guild Wars 3. Yes the same company that publish Guild Wars 2 quarterly earnings and gives money to Arenanet have announced that Guild Wars 3 is in the works. 

How about that?

• Like 9
  • Confused 6

1 minute ago, Entara.3075 said:

Just to put in my two cents as I see people talking about anet hiring for an unannounced project. In HR speak the unannounced project just means something still working under a code name. It could just as easily be an unnamed expansion to GW2 like expansion 5.

I am not saying it is. Just that hiring for an unannounced project is not proof that that project is GW3.

I've put forth that thought as well. GW3 could be code for "New expansion that has nothing to do with Gw1 previously explored landmass/characters or anything touched by the dragon plot in Gw2". Like those other huge islands.

1 minute ago, Izzy.2951 said:

The NCsoft CEO that OWNS Arenanet have confirmed that Anet is working on Guild Wars 3. Yes the same company that publish Guild Wars 2 quarterly earnings and gives money to Arenanet have announced that Guild Wars 3 is in the works. 

How about that?

Really? Where is the confirmation. I've seen "Is working on it" "It's in the preview phase now, with no development or resources assigned to it" and "It's approved if Anet wants to start work on it."

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

Here's a fun detail about massivelyop guild wars news:

2 months ago: https://massivelyop.com/2024/02/04/the-daily-grind-would-you-be-interested-in-a-guild-wars-3/ 
November 2021: https://massivelyop.com/2021/11/06/the-daily-grind-should-arenanet-continue-guild-wars-2-expansions-or-make-guild-wars-3/ 
October 2019: https://massivelyop.com/2019/10/15/flameseeker-chronicles-is-it-time-for-guild-wars-3/
January 2019: https://massivelyop.com/2019/01/09/the-daily-grind-should-arenanet-be-working-on-guild-wars-3/ 
June 2017: https://massivelyop.com/2017/06/30/the-daily-grind-do-you-want-to-see-a-guild-wars-3/

"do you guys want gw3? Is it time for gw3? Not that gw2 is over the hill, but guys, how about... gw3??"
-for at least 7 years-
"gw3 CONFIRMED!"

Ok, massivelyop, I trust whatever you say about gw3 now 😉 

And while I appreciate that you apparently actually DO base it on something, I'm not exactly questioning your conclusions as much as I question your sources. Even moreso when the very article you linked in your post includes this happy bit: "Google Translate doesn’t do a great job here, but(...)", so for now I'm still not picking positions here unless a better, accurate source come by instead of "I pasted this into google translated and here's what I gather from it".

I am only quoting the direct quotes, I don't really care for nor address the contents of the article.

There is a full translation somewhere as well, but again we are only dealing in translations. I still think that anything that translates to "unprofitable" would be something the CFO should not have been throwing around, as well as the total misdirection away from revenue transparency.

I do also have to emphasize that I am not defending either side of this "GW3 is currently being developed" debate. To my mind it has certainly been considered for years and to some extent been in limbo, if only in early pre-planning and concept phases. There's no way ANet hasn't been at least toying with the idea. But ANet/NCSoft are also inconsistent, often overextended and underfunded, lacking vision and follow through...so at any stage we could never really count on ANet to be delivering on promises. I think the truth is that it has been somewhere between the two poles for at least a few years...being bounced around but slept on like the next GRRM book. So neither side is exactly right or wrong here as a matter of truth value. They are just objectively wrong for being impotent, mealy-mouthed cowards. 🙃

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

I am only quoting the direct quotes, I don't really care for nor address the contents of the article.

There is a full translation somewhere as well, but again we are only dealing in translations. I still think that anything that translates to "unprofitable" would be something the CFO should not have been throwing around, as well as the total misdirection away from revenue transparency.

I do also have to emphasize that I am not defending either side of this "GW3 is currently being developed" debate. To my mind it has certainly been considered for years and to some extent been in limbo, if only in early pre-planning and concept phases. There's no way ANet hasn't been at least toying with the idea. But ANet/NCSoft are also inconsistent, often overextended and underfunded, lacking vision and follow through...so at any stage we could never really count on ANet to be delivering on promises. I think the truth is that it has been somewhere between the two poles for at least a few years...being bounced around but slept on like the next GRRM book. So neither side is exactly right or wrong here as a matter of truth value. They are just objectively wrong for being impotent, mealy-mouthed cowards. 🙃

Do you understand that your "direct quotes" come from a "google translate" that "didn't do a great job here" and then they were put through whatever massivelyop's (yup, it being specifically massivelyop matters) ""news"" creator's fingertips? 😄 

Because if you do understand that then you probably also understand how little sense these consecutive posts make:

41 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

Actually given some of the stupid things the CFO said, this is a very plausible explanation.

35 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

No it's things he said in the same interview.

Taken as a whole, the interview gives the impression that investors are not happy and the CFO panickedly grasped at explanations to give them. From there it logically follows that some of what he said may not have been totally accurate or even had been things properly discussed with ANet beforehand.

right?

11 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

So neither side is exactly right or wrong here as a matter of truth value.

And with that I agree 😉 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, illuminati.8453 said:

Yeah, there is no way Anet will confirm this.

Yet they were put in an awkward position to have to comment on it by the CFO. My point isn't that ANet won't confirm: it's that they apparently had no notice the CFO would be saying this.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

14 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

I've put forth that thought as well. GW3 could be code for "New expansion that has nothing to do with Gw1 previously explored landmass/characters or anything touched by the dragon plot in Gw2". Like those other huge islands.

Really? Where is the confirmation. I've seen "Is working on it" "It's in the preview phase now, with no development or resources assigned to it" and "It's approved if Anet wants to start work on it."

"ArenaNet has a meaningful IP called ‘Guild Wars’, and after Guild Wars 2, they are currently working on ‘Guild Wars 3’" This. source: https://m.inven.co.kr/webzine/wznews.php?idx=294408

Also if you wanna belive what Arenanet is gonna say after saying they were gonna do Alliances first in 2018, then again in 2021, then they got cancelled in 2023 and its just world restructuring (if we ever get it). Or when they tell you they are just working in GW2 and they dont stop hiring for a unnanounced mmorpg project at the same time you barely get content for gw2 and the content we get its very low quality... its up to you. I belive what i see, i have a brain and eyes.

Just the fact that Arenanet hasnt said that is false they are working on Guild Wars 3 its a statment that all of this is completly true. 

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

44 minutes ago, Derktarlms.6213 said:

arenanet must wake up, this announcement was the declaration of a slow death

We have been here before. Anet has been working on their unannounced project(s) for years. We have had the Icebrood Saga debacle with the "no expansions, just Living World Forever" announcement which was taken very badly by the community. Especially after Bjora Marches was finished and they stopped creating new maps for the Saga.

But now we're back on course with frequent expansions, frequent new map releases and frequent story releases I'm quite happy about the state of the game.

We'll have to see about the GW3 thingie. If it is real, if we can keep our characters, achievements and progression if GW3 is a thing. And ArenaNet is quite a lot bigger now than in 2007 when they started working on GW2. Perhaps they can keep both games active and updated with content.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Izzy.2951 said:

"ArenaNet has a meaningful IP called ‘Guild Wars’, and after Guild Wars 2, they are currently working on ‘Guild Wars 3’" This. source: https://m.inven.co.kr/webzine/wznews.php?idx=294408

Also if you wanna belive what Arenanet is gonna say after saying they were gonna do Alliances first in 2018, then again in 2021, then they got cancelled in 2023 and its just world restructuring (if we ever get it). Or when they tell you they are just working in GW2 and they dont stop hiring for a unnanounced mmorpg project at the same time you get barely content and low quality... its up to you. I belive what i see,, i have a brain and eyes.

Just the fact that Arenanet hasnt said that its false that they are working on Guild Wars 3 its an statment that all of this is completly true.

Yeah you would think they would be in a hurry to squash this fire if there was nothing to it

But too early to say

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Notice, btw, that you didn't answer the question, nor even remotely relate to it. Also I don't know anything about that particular site. Other than "it has business in its name", what do you know about it? Actual curiosity on my part -hopefully you can directly respond to the questions asked this time, including the one from the last post.

Because it was an open shareholder meeting, not a press conference. So, even though some press representatives were present (due to it being open), the whole discussion was between shareholders and acting CEO.

Notice, btw, that you didn't answer the question, nor even remotely relate to it.

But i did. The first site reported the meeting verbatim with no spin put into it. That points to their intention having nothing to do with GW3 reveal, but being merely about just exactly what it seemed to be - reporting on the meeting. Thus, it was not "adjusted" for better/worse "clickbaitness". Nor the CEO talking with shareholders already present likely thought about "generating more clicks" either.

Second message however was an NCSoft PR message, specifically aimed at the public consumption. I doubt they thought about generating more "clicks" either - the purpose was somewhere else.

In short, both are statements from NCSoft, not altered in any way. As such, how many clicks were generated from reporting either of those messages by other sites has no impact whatsoever on whether any of those messages is more or further from the truth. The only thing that might impact this is the intentions behind those statements and the circumstances behind them being spoken.

(Notice, btw, that outright lying to your shareholders is considered a fraud, and can theoretically land you in jail, or at least trigger some investigation NCSoft would probably want to avoid. This does not prevent company representative from speaking complete bullkitten due to ignorance, of course)

Also I don't know anything about that particular site. Other than "it has business in its name", what do you know about it? Actual curiosity on my part -hopefully you can directly respond to the questions asked this time, including the one from the last post.

I checked, and i was actually wrong here. Inven is not a business site. It is a korean gaming news and media website. From what i see it seems more esport-focused (Although that might be just their LA-based Inven Global offshoot) but that's likely not all they cover. So, they might have had some inkling about what the CFO was talking about. Still, as i have mentioned already, they did not put any spin of their own on it (or any commentary of their own), and the whole report seems not sensational in nature, but a simple reporting of what happened. And GW3 is merely a small footnote in it. 

As for blaming google translate, we've had here (and on reddit) several korean players checking the translation and so far they all seem to agree that it all checks out and there was no major mistranslation of the relevant parts. I'd think that if that was not the case, someone would have pointed that out already.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

42 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

4. UPDATE: ANet refuses to confirm they are working on GW3. Definitely doesn't look good when your CFO pulls this out to save face for investors and you aren't even synced up enough ANet to have a coordinated PR message.

They did? Is there a statement to that end i have missed, or are you commention on their classic radio silence?

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

While this is yet to be officially greenlit and is just under review, I am tentatively curious about all fo this. The amount of stories we could get would be amazing. But as many have, I have concerns on teh capability of keeping all of these mmos going and moving forward. What I think would be a nice timeline is if gw3 focused on Eastern Tyria. Perhaps going into some of the more rabbithole unfinished lore and expanding on that. What's been happening in Eastern Tyria during the dragon expansions? Do they think this commander on the other sside of the world is some crazy psycho? It could work in tandem with gw2 with simply better graphics. We could hear about eastern tyria in gw2 with barks/passive commentary from NPCs or political mentions with someone visiting Queen Jennah/

Spoiler

Empress Ihn

wow...  was not expeccting that spoiler tab to be that larger. Anyways, I think there's lots of routes this could take if it's true. Maybe even more playable races for that side of the world. Like tengu... js. I can hope. xD Or perhaps we see completely different cultures that were built. Perhaps there's more ogres, giants... or perhaps even bigger colonies of skritt whose intellect none of us can match since they have the biggest rat city. 

All in all, I don't hate this idea, but I would love for anet to speak on this but who knows if we will anytime soon.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Because it was an open shareholder meeting, not a press conference. So, even though some press representatives were present (due to it being open), the whole discussion was between shareholders and acting CEO.

So how does that work? They "didn't mean to" but, uh, forgot people can hear them?

But i did. The first site reported the meeting verbatim with no spin put into it. That points to their intention having nothing to do with GW3 reveal, but being merely about just exactly what it seemed to be - reporting on the meeting. Thus, it was not "adjusted" for better/worse "clickbaitness". Nor the CEO talking with shareholders already present likely thought about "generating more clicks" either.

Second message however was an NCSoft PR message, specifically aimed at the public consumption. I doubt they thought about generating more "clicks" either - the purpose was somewhere else.

In short, both are statements from NCSoft, not altered in any way. As such, how many clicks were generated from reporting either of those messages by other sites has no impact whatsoever on whether any of those messages is more or further from the truth. The only thing that might impact this is the intentions behind those statements and the circumstances behind them being spoken.

(Notice, btw, that outright lying to your shareholders is considered a fraud, and can theoretically land you in jail, or at least trigger some investigation NCSoft would probably want to avoid. This does not prevent company representative from speaking complete bullkitten due to ignorance, of course)

No, you did not. And even now you seem to misunderstand the question. I'm not trying to suggest that "anyone at the shareholders meeting" tried to generate the clicks. I'm talking about the sites "reporting" on it. Like, you know:

I checked, and i was actually wrong here. Inven is not a business site. It is a korean gaming news and media website. From what i see it seems more esport-focused (Although that might be just their LA-based Inven Global offshoot) but that's likely not all they cover. So, they might have had some inkling about what the CFO was talking about. Still, as i have mentioned already, they did not put any spin of their own on it (or any commentary of their own), and the whole report seems not sensational in nature, but a simple reporting of what happened. And GW3 is merely a small footnote in it. 

As for blaming google translate, we've had here (and on reddit) several korean players checking the translation and so far they all seem to agree that it all checks out and there was no major mistranslation of the relevant parts. I'd think that if that was not the case, someone would have pointed that out already.

The one you assumed you know, but you didn't. I don't even know if now you're correct or not -as I said, I actually didn't and still don't know anything about it/them. But you apparently didn't even bother to as much as check, but just concluded it's "business site" so whatever they write up is trustworthy? Hence the question about generating clicks. Notably, another "source" I got linked in this thread was straight from massivelyop, who basically tried teasing about gw3 for at least 7 years now.

And again, I'm not even taking sides here because I won't pretend I know about things I don't, but the amount of "massivelyop literally googletranslated something and made article about it" or "business-but-oops-not-business-but-gaming-news site reported it" so it's definitely true and whoever disagree is hard coping is a bit high.

Also I'm definitely a huge fan of the usual "anet needs to come up and clarify!, but if they say what I don't want them to say then it doesn't count because it's a PR statement".
And some more honorable mentions go to:
"they're saying >yes but no< to gain trust of the investors" and
"^that's plausible, because [what massivelyop googletranslated] at some points also didn't make sense!" (or, to be more accurate: "Actually given some of the stupid things the CFO said, this is a very plausible explanation.")

Basically anyone can claim whatever they want, because even if it doesn't make sense, that's the reason why it's plausible! Such fun! 😉 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Blood.7254 said:

You don't shuffle around studios for a "maybe" project. Also, Arenanet has already confirmed they are working on a known IP fantasy mmorpg. And people still refuse to connect the dots lol. I give up.

I mean, at some point Anet even confirmed that the unannounced project has nothing to do with the Guild Wars franchise.

And Peoply still try to find connections. 😉 

• Confused 2

Someone compared the possible GW3 with Diablo 4.  What about comparing GW3 to Overwatch 2?  Overwatch 2 has very similar gameplay to the original. No player aquisitions or achievements were ported over to the sequel. Blizzard just announced that the development of the Overwatch 2 story campaign has been abandoned.  Blizzard developed both Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2.  

I could see GW3 as a partial release with just WvW and SPvP, with the promise of pve at a later date.  Then abandoning PvE instead.  Corporations like to copy one-another,  but they don't seem to learn from each other very well.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

They did? Is there a statement to that end i have missed, or are you commention on their classic radio silence?

https://www.mmorpg.com/news/guild-wars-3-confirmed-to-be-in-development-though-it-seems-its-still-in-its-early-stages-updated-2000130976

ANet was approached and gave a non-answer, indicating they aren't authorized to talk about it or otherwise were blindsided by the announcement and don't want to talk about it.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 8
  • Confused 3

14 minutes ago, Wolfofdivinity.6251 said:

Why leak this now? No sane person would waste anymore money on gw2 if it's about to become gw1 all over again...

Especially when GW3 is just a twinkle in ANet's eye presently.

I'm not totally discounting other explanations, but the way this has all gone down seems like the CFO was under pressure and blurted out something that wasn't in his script.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

7 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

https://www.mmorpg.com/news/guild-wars-3-confirmed-to-be-in-development-though-it-seems-its-still-in-its-early-stages-updated-2000130976

ANet was approached and gave a non-answer, indicating they don't want to talk about it or otherwise blindsided by the announcement.

Yeah that answer basically reinforces that they are working in GW3 but they dont wanna confirm it yet:

"As an active game studio we are always doing internal exploratory work for posible future tirtles we would like to create, however we have nothing to confirm right now. The teams focus is on Guild Wars 2 development, including the games next expansion, which we are exceited to talk about soon."

source: https://www.mmorpg.com/news/guild-wars-3-confirmed-to-be-in-development-though-it-seems-its-still-in-its-early-stages-updated-2000130976

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

2 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

ANet was approached and gave a non-answer, indicating they don't want to talk about it or otherwise blindsided by the announcement.

Well, they say "there is nothing to confirm at this topic, our teams are working on GW2".

Sounds pretty clear for me and also fits NCsoft's statement that a potential GW3 is in consideration of being greenlit or not (so far away from active developement or even planning).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

22 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Someone compared the possible GW3 with Diablo 4.  What about comparing GW3 to Overwatch 2?  Overwatch 2 has very similar gameplay to the original. No player aquisitions or achievements were ported over to the sequel. Blizzard just announced that the development of the Overwatch 2 story campaign has been abandoned.  Blizzard developed both Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2.  

I could see GW3 as a partial release with just WvW and SPvP, with the promise of pve at a later date.  Then abandoning PvE instead.  Corporations like to copy one-another,  but they don't seem to learn from each other very well.

GW3 will likely not be Overwatch 2.

A keyboard-interface, co-op action MMORPG would not sell. A story set in the same time period retrodding the same unchanged areas would not sell.

GW2 showed that updating both the combat design paradigm and setting it in the future were enough to make a distinctly different product. I can almost guarantee that is the most immediate solution they are jumping toward, especially since it practically designs/writes itself.

GW3 will not be Overwatch 2 because it will likely be more solo and action oriented, pick-up-and-play class oriented, with less focus on open world and PvE and more focus on building a PvP with more modern sensibilities. A well-designed PvP game sustains itself very cheaply due to high replayability, which is exactly what NCSoft seems to want out of the franchise (given how GW2 design started, and how currently one of the only things the devs have been hammering home is attempts to make PvP viable again).

This, along with likely taking place in a different time setting, will be plenty to brand it as a new experience. The Overwatch question is a non-issue here; a more pertinent question is whether ANet has the time and resources to properly execute on the same stunt they pulled with GW2 12 years ago.

• Confused 6

12 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Easy, if GW3 is an MMO and GW2 goes the way of GW1, which it will, Arenanet is going to be know as the studio which regularly moves on from previous games.

Which is fine for some types of games, and not so great for others. I can already see the memes on GW3 launch:"Guild Wars 3 just out, did they announce GW4 yet?"

We will see but I personally am not seeing this as a great move forward. Reinventing the wheel over and over does not automatically make the car better which it is attached to.

Yet given I have no sway on things, I'm going to be fine with whatever this brings, though personally I am not at the age where I'm starting a new MMO any longer (if I was, I'd have given FF144,Eso or New World a try, I'd be following Ashes of Creation or any of the other newish MMOs. I don't because I had no interest which is the same in regards to a GW3 MMO).

GW2 has been going on for 12 years, this isn't CoD or FIFA that gets a new sequel every year.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, kiroho.4738 said:

Well, they say "there is nothing to confirm at this topic, our teams are working on GW2".

Sounds pretty clear for me and also fits NCsoft's statement that a potential GW3 is in consideration of being greenlit or not (so far away from active developement or even planning).

They didnt said anything, or in other words: they didnt deny they are working in Guild Wars 3 which is even more suspicious.

And also now that we are on this point they should clarify whats the unnannounced project they have been working on since summer 2022, if its not GW3 (which it is).

They will just go radio silent or end up confirming it by community preassure. 

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 5
  • Confused 5

13 minutes ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Yeah that answer basically reinforces that they are working in GW3 but they dont wanna confirm it yet:

"As an active game studio we are always doing internal exploratory work for posible future tirtles we would like to create, however we have nothing to confirm right now. The teams focus is on Guild Wars 2 development, including the games next expansion, which we are exceited to talk about soon."

source: https://www.mmorpg.com/news/guild-wars-3-confirmed-to-be-in-development-though-it-seems-its-still-in-its-early-stages-updated-2000130976

It doesn't reinforce anything.

We have known for a long time GW3 was in some sort of pre-planning development, it would have been dumb not to think they weren't at least floating it as a concept among their normal conceptualization phases.

And thanks to the walking back of the CFO's statement, we still don't know whether the project is merely greenlit, or if development has officially started. ANet's statement quite blatantly takes no sides and avoids providing an answer, and absent any reliability of development schedules on their part (hah!) I think it would be disingenuous to ever presume ANet are on top of their projects, secret or otherwise. Their omission could very easily be hiding shock that they are only now being told--through third parties--that they are now expected to deliver on a product that was only ever talked about theoretically or perpetually sat in pre-dev. We simply can't know what their non-feasance says about the state of GW2.

All this statement does is soft confirm that ANet was not authorized by NCSoft to provide any statement on GW3, and that NCSoft never bothered to give ANet notice that this announcement would happen. It doesn't actually say anything about the state of GW3 so much as how disjointed and disrespectful NCSoft-ANet relations are.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6