We need popular streamers to stream GW2

1 hour ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

The only time I watch twitch is when Anet offers rewards for it.  I think we have enough streamers to handle the load.

Even then I still won't watch streamers. They have to pay me to watch them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crosknight.3041 said:

would be nice in general if twitch drops were more common. ESO for example has one pretty much everyone month for crates (their randomized lockbox). would be nice if GW2 did more drops for black lion keys, black lion vouchers, ect.

twitch drops are a good motivator

I'd rather they just add sales more often so I can support the game directly. Twitch is totally unnecessary for that.  If anything, twitch drops are an act of desperation by twitch to draw in more viewers. It's for the benefit of twitch, not GW2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Makes no sense to me, all you get is a paid streamer, who has zero experience with the game, probably zero interest in it (or they'd already be streaming it) who will fumble about the game, prolly get bored halfway and thus bore their audience, which they'll have to chat up with unrelated subjects in order to keep interested, thus distracting everyone involved from actually the main point : the game.

It simply doesn't work. Get people who are Already involved with the game, involved with the community to get back players that went inactive on the game, but still follow those particular individuals. That will make more sense.

Personally, I feel that a good game get it's publicity naturaly, from players getting their friends to play the game with them.

• Like 2

No thanks. Lack of "big streamers" is one of the things I like about this game. I've WvW'ed back in the GoM days with Mukluk and nobody acknowledged him outside of a few compliments, he sort of did his own thing and our zerg did ours. Imagining how different an asmongold type figure in that same situation would be makes me glad we don't have one.

Any time a big streamer tries GW2 it's disastrous because they're impatient and accustomed to instant gratification for being "famous;" on top of that GW2's content, to be honest, isn't that interesting as far as streaming goes. And I'm vehemently against twitch drops. How many of you honestly watched the streams during the last drops outside of the giveaways? How many of you actually just muted the stream and tabbed it in the lowest quality? Twitch drops are dumb, in game rewards during festivals/rushes/etc are much better. 

• Like 4

You're asking for the impossible here , let me explain ( you already know but i will explain either way since you don't seem to get it ) .

GW2 ( as in Guild Wars 2 not GARDEN WARS 2 ) is a niche game , it will always be a niche game . Now you're wondering what is this person on about , well you see horizontal prog and MMOs don't get too well together for most people ( obviously not for us but let's keep it as honest as possible ) and that's the whole deal .

• People like RNG and vertical prog , reminds me of real life somehow idk why .😂
Edited by Smol.7985
  • Haha 1

The thing is that Guild Wars 2 is more fun to play than watch. Everyone who is playing the game is doing that. People only watch streamers for their own gameplay and personality. The "big streamers" are not playing this game and have already judged that the game is bad, so why would Arenanet want to sponsor them?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rallicus.8367 said:

. How many of you honestly watched the streams during the last drops outside of the giveaways? How many of you actually just muted the stream and tabbed it in the lowest quality? Twitch drops are dumb, in game rewards during festivals/rushes/etc are much better. 

Muted, tabbed out, left the room and went to the shops

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/9/2024 at 5:59 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Genuine Answer. 

The viewers of the mega huge streamers are often more like a cult. 

Look at streamers like Asmongold. If there "leader" says: "buy this game."

Many will do that. Simply to feel like a part of the cult. 

Thats the entire idea behind paying huge streams to play your game. 

If a huge streamer would play Gw2, probably thousands of brainless cult members would buy the game just to be around their glorious leader. 

Only problem is, the moment the glorious leader drops the game, so does his cult. 

Hehe.  I can't say I have seen that in a GW2 community, but know an ESO streamer where some of that happened. ( I won't name the person and will use "they" as a pronoun). They used to stream content at the beginning of the game for a few years and became pretty huge in the ESO world.  Then as years went on, over time they got gradually more and more irate over the changes and upped one day and rage quit the game but everyone who followed them went on.  A lot of people actually called them out on their nonsense at the time and made fun of them for it to boot.  They did come back to streaming again like about 3 yrs ago, supposedly had "reformed" their attitude and now are streaming full time for a living.  Now they've got "the cult" after them like they walk on water mostly, and it's pretty obvious they enjoy being perceived that way and want to be paid for the privilege.

I think that where the difference falls - the mega streamers who are invested in game streaming for income are ones I would steer clear from.   A lot of them tend to "cult" only the people who actively support them by contributing oodles of money, Patreon memberships, and the like, etc.  The rest of their "chat" is ignored to sometimes outright insulted.   It should be pretty obvious to people, but fools abound out there who end up mistaking the transactional interaction of sales tactics in these situations as friendship and love for the game - when it's the farthest thing from it.

For this reason, among a few others, I agree with what you posted earlier in the thread here.  If one is going to follow a streamer at all, imho it's better to support smaller communities where the streamer is genuinely there to share their love of the game and simple online socializing with others who do too vs feeding the machine.

Edited by Surelia.2651
spelling
  • Like 1

This thread seems like spin, the playerbase is actually advocating that they don't want streamers to stream gw2, and they definitely dont want big streamers to stream it because of (insert random reason here).  Some serious copium.  My guess is anet doesn't have the money to pay said streamers to stream it and hype it up and you know... influence people to play it since they're influencers.  So this thread is damage control.

I mean its like saying this:

gw2 player: man you know what would make this game great? ... if nobody streamed this game, man the skies the limit then, there'd be so much hype and the game would know no limits! I mean it just seems like streamers wreck the game by showcasing the game to new players...... AND WHO WANTS/NEEDS THOSE?

VERY believable.

they tried to do this with sPVP back in 2016 when they tried to make it an e-sport and its safe to say they firmly gave up, thus the thread response.

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

On 9/10/2024 at 1:13 AM, Zera.9435 said:

No, we do not. Twitch is not any worthwhile metric. Neither is Steam. 'Popular streamers' are 'popular' because they jump around from game to game, riding the bandwagon of the 'newest game'. Games like GW2 require a long investment of time, and that is not something anyone on Twitch has the attention span for. That is why 'popular streamers' (who don't really matter at all) do not stream GW2. They can't afford to sit there and play the same game for extended periods of time. Their so-called audience would get bored watching them playing the same game.

GW2 is meant to be played, not watched. It is not up to us, the players, to sell the game to others. It is the job of the ArenaNet marketing team. Sure, word of mouth helps, but ultimately it's on ArenaNet to draw in new customers. Streamers are not the saviors you think they are.

The point I'm making here is that Twitch does not matter. Streamers do not matter. Steam analytics do not matter because the vast majority of players are not playing via Steam.

That's an apologist view.  I don't generally watch Twitch streams and I don't particularly care what streamers have to say, but I feel pretty confident if I were to search Twitch for WoW or FFXIV streamers there would be no shortage of them.  Are those games meant to be watched and not played?  What is different about them that they attract both streamers and viewers?  And is this something ANet could tap into as part of a marketing strategy?

I already covered this in an earlier post, but I think part of GW2's problem in that regard is that you are essentially correct:  It's meant to be played and not watched.  But to put a less positive spin on it while being more specific, I think GW2 lacks the type of content that draws streamers and viewers.  People will watch competitive play.  But GW2's PvP is pretty dead and while we do have WvW, it's difficult for outsiders to connect with what they're looking at in large scale GW2 PvP battles like this.  On raiding, unfortunately, we have very little to offer compared to the competition.  We have less content and due to certain core design decisions, encounter design in this game is not on the same level as FFXIV or WoW.  What we do have is great open world content the competition has no answer to.  Unfortunately, nobody wants to watch a streamer farm world bosses.  So sad for us.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/10/2024 at 10:38 AM, Zera.9435 said:

I'd rather they just add sales more often so I can support the game directly. Twitch is totally unnecessary for that.  If anything, twitch drops are an act of desperation by twitch to draw in more viewers. It's for the benefit of twitch, not GW2.

I suppose the idea is if more people are watching, potential new players may be more likely to tune in.

1 hour ago, sasya neko.1985 said:

simple, the game is really not as good and as popular as white knights wants you to believe.

there are more streamers for minecraft and WoW than anything GW2 related, heck, even lotro has more streamers since it's simply more interesting.

got white knights advocating that they want the game to have no streamers and that "who watches streamers" lol....... maximum copium

easy way to debase them, why does GW2 keep wasting money on twitch drops then?

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, sasya neko.1985 said:

simple, the game is really not as good and as popular as white knights wants you to believe.

there are more streamers for minecraft and WoW than anything GW2 related, heck, even lotro has more streamers since it's simply more interesting.

I have no doubt that WoW and minecraft have much more players and are much bigger on twitch, but lotro? Do you have any stats for this, because the ones I found show that lotro has much less viewers / streamers than GW2.

1 hour ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

got white knights advocating that they want the game to have no streamers and that "who watches streamers" lol....... maximum copium

easy way to debase them, why does GW2 keep wasting money on twitch drops then?

This thread about paying big streames to play the game, I didn't saw that anyone here posted that they want to get rid of the (established) streamers at all.

• Like 2

Looks like they try to boost the visibility on those platforms, but the only time it has sustainable high viewership is when there are Twitch Drops, which is temporary, while being mainly beneficial to 24/7 drop channels and the  bigger streamers on the top of the page.

GW2 just hasn't been that popular as a MMO, for most viewers or the majority of streamers, even with a small PvP scene compared to 10 years ago and a unique, but niche game mode in WvW. The story and end game content, isn't as entertaining as other mmos either, it's more of a chill and competitive MMO, to play and watch, except as I said niche.

So if you are trying to grow, I'm sure this isn't the best category, unless you work hard to promote, because your sustainable viewership unlike someone with an established viewership, will be low, due to visibility and popularity of the game as on a streaming category, unlike wow or ff14 and other specifically focused PvP games.

Edited by RisingDawn.5796
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 7:20 AM, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

This thread seems like spin, the playerbase is actually advocating that they don't want streamers to stream gw2, and they definitely dont want big streamers to stream it because of (insert random reason here).  Some serious copium.  My guess is anet doesn't have the money to pay said streamers to stream it and hype it up and you know... influence people to play it since they're influencers.  So this thread is damage control.

I mean its like saying this:

gw2 player: man you know what would make this game great? ... if nobody streamed this game, man the skies the limit then, there'd be so much hype and the game would know no limits! I mean it just seems like streamers wreck the game by showcasing the game to new players...... AND WHO WANTS/NEEDS THOSE?

VERY believable.

they tried to do this with sPVP back in 2016 when they tried to make it an e-sport and its safe to say they firmly gave up, thus the thread response.

Well if streamers attract crowd that communicates like you Im glad gw2 doesnt attract such crowds.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Well if streamers attract crowd that communicates like you Im glad gw2 doesnt attract such crowds.

kitten, straight to the burn center with that one, skip the regular burn unit at a normal hospital.

On topic, big streamers, including Asmongold and others, have tried playing and streaming GW2. For various reasons, they don't stick with it (I think Asmon's big reason was he doesn't like horizontal progression).

GW2 (and MMOs) aren't great streaming games for a lot of reasons, that include things are "slow" to happen (unlike snappy moba matches or how much more quickly you'd get through a regular game like Far Cry or Mass Effect or Wukong or even cozy things like Stardew Valley), visual clutter, and maybe even lack of tangible "goal." Tbqh, most of the time, if you're watching an MMO streamer, you're more into watching them than the game they're playing. 😕

On 9/9/2024 at 5:35 AM, Zoid.2568 said:

They want to play what their favorite streamer is playing. 

And they will stop as soon as their streamer stops playing the game.

Don't waste resources on streamers and influencers. Put money on the game itself, so it can be good enough to make people talk about it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zoid.2568 said:

I'm not saying that the GW2 playerbase should watch these streamers, I'm saying that the viewers will follow the streamers and buy the game because they play what the streamer play.

if you paid attention to twitch at the expac launch. anet did pay streamers to play. they even got popular raiders from WoW.

the new raid is not out so the streamers couldn't play it, & they didnt give the streamers accounts with gear so they could participate in endgame content. so it was just lots of story with NPCs talking. unsurprisingly, none of the streamers are streaming gw2 anymore.

Edited by choovanski.5462
  • Confused 1

On 9/13/2024 at 6:28 PM, Zoid.2568 said:

I'm not saying that the GW2 playerbase should watch these streamers, I'm saying that the viewers will follow the streamers and buy the game because they play what the streamer play.

And as soon as the steamer stops playing it actively, all those 'players' will follow suit. The end result is a net gain of zero for GW2.

The longevity of this game is the result of ArenaNet providing us with over a decade's worth of content to play through, thousands of achievements to work on, a legendary armory to fill, and now a homestead to build and decorate. GW2 is something you DO, not something you watch. Streamers add nothing to that.

EDIT: Let me put it another way. People watch streamers regardless of the games the streamers choose to play. Anyone who isn't already interested in checking out GW2 will not suddenly develop an interest purely because of a streamer (could be a factor but will never be the sole reason). As long as ArenaNet makes content that people want to PLAY, the players will come regardless of streamers.

Edited by Zera.9435
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2