I'm enjoying deadeye now

Jugglemonkey.8741

@babazhook.6805 said:Given I dropped trickery I use RS for boon theft in a DA/SA/DE build. (Yes you CAN drop trickery.)I have went through an iteration of runes and finally settled on Spellbreaker , this allowing me to get that 7 percent bonus for no boons after a DJ (as it rips 4 with the RS).

what do you take deadly arts for ? i run without trickery aswell atm but i take CS as it IMO adds more damage and the utility from DA is not really needed as DE.and shouldn RS only rip 2 boons?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Tabootrinket.2631 said:I think deadly arts is good for the revealed training where you gain damage while revealed (since DJ reveals you before firing), and of course the executioner trait.

well i rarely use DJ now as i play with m7 so i want to actually hit and DJ is way more obvious then any of the other stealth attacks, i could reveal myself during the cast of the others aswell, still i think CS offers more damage. executioner doesnt do much for me as i 'execute' with Malicious backstab mostly from above 50%.

@MUDse.7623 said:

@"Kain Francois.4328" said:Death's Judgment as a malicious stealth skill doesn't work though. Rifle has no means of applying stealth.

It's forced to trait for stealth (losing out on 1% damage per boon, which is big), AND we have to dodge roll.

How does dodging into an aimed shot make any sense? Not to mention we already have a spec that uses dodges to attack (Daredevil)

for pve right, for WvW roaming wich the opening post was about that 1% damage per boon doesnt matter and having stealth on dodge has the advantage that it is uninterruptable, wich is a huge buff to before the patch in that mode.

It still doesn't "feel" right that an aimed attack from dodge.

@Kain Francois.4328 said:

@Kain Francois.4328 said:Death's Judgment as a malicious stealth skill doesn't work though. Rifle has no means of applying stealth.

It's forced to trait for stealth (losing out on 1% damage per boon, which is big), AND we have to dodge roll.

How does dodging into an aimed shot make any sense? Not to mention we already have a spec that uses dodges to attack (Daredevil)

for pve right, for WvW roaming wich the opening post was about that 1% damage per boon doesnt matter and having stealth on dodge has the advantage that it is uninterruptable, wich is a huge buff to before the patch in that mode.

that is correct, i would have prefered cursed bullet to remain the rifle stealth attack scaling number of boons corrupted on malice (+ofc still unblockable etc like it was) and as rifle is the iconic DE weapon could keep DJ on kneeling 4 so a visible and a stealth malice reset. main reason for this is, that DJ is the only stealth attack that removes stealth before resetting malice wich causes at least me to prefer any other stealth attack over it as DJ is too easy avoided for giving up stealth AND possible malice reset. in that case they could revert(nerf) DJ to like it was before (3/4 cast time, not unblockable).this would allow pve players to play without silent scope and using dodges for the rotation as DE is already heavily limited in mobility when trying to deal high DPS. and it would remove the additional tell and requirement of going into stealth while making it blockable and slower for pvp players again.

DA and Trickery were already clutch together but were surprisingly good with DE traits, better before the change, still good though and even had choices within that pick of trait lines. Rolling that punch into CS and taking something like Instant Reflexes or damage reduction in stealth can be just as instantly game changing and probably smarter in general but that DA/Trickery Steal has that near perfect sensory feedback that's hard to shake, just feels good.

@MUDse.7623 said:

@Kain Francois.4328 said:Death's Judgment as a malicious stealth skill doesn't work though. Rifle has no means of applying stealth.

that is correct, i would have prefered cursed bullet to remain the rifle stealth attack scaling number of boons corrupted on malice (+ofc still unblockable etc like it was) and as rifle is the iconic DE weapon could keep DJ on kneeling 4 so a visible and a stealth malice reset. main reason for this is, that DJ is the only stealth attack that removes stealth before resetting malice wich causes at least me to prefer any other stealth attack over it as DJ is too easy avoided for giving up stealth AND possible malice reset. in that case they could revert(nerf) DJ to like it was before (3/4 cast time, not unblockable).this would allow pve players to play without silent scope and using dodges for the rotation as DE is already heavily limited in mobility when trying to deal high DPS. and it would remove the additional tell and requirement of going into stealth while making it blockable and slower for pvp players again.

I wouldn't mind cursed bullet for the stealth attack and dj to be back on rifle kneel 4 (so it can be used in/out of stealth), and keep everything else as is, that would make it ideal. I also hope they might consider something for pp malice offload and something also for condi builds to use malice.

@MUDse.7623 said:

@babazhook.6805 said:Given I dropped trickery I use RS for boon theft in a DA/SA/DE build. (Yes you CAN drop trickery.)I have went through an iteration of runes and finally settled on Spellbreaker , this allowing me to get that 7 percent bonus for no boons after a DJ (as it rips 4 with the RS).

what do you take deadly arts for ? i run without trickery aswell atm but i take CS as it IMO adds more damage and the utility from DA is not really needed as DE.and shouldn RS only rip 2 boons?

Sorry you are right 2 boons . I am not sure why I put 4. It was late so I was conflating with something.

The main reason for the DA is the poison source. CS does do more damage but I found poison invaluable against warrior or d/p thief in particular . You not only add poison on steal but weakness as well. You then get an ongoing source with the Panic strike if wished (revealed is an alternative) which can come to you with the Rifle immob or the alternate weapon immob . I had a few scraps 1v1 with a few d/p thief daredevils and was able to get the poison off from steal via SE more reliably wherein they were fumbling attacks while mine hit for full force. On warriors with the kiting and poison , you can really impact the heals they have ongoing which can force them to break off early. (this another reason for RS as it can keep resistance off). I do pop into stealth a lot even if the malice not stacked to either use RS more , or just drop to a kneel to use a kneel version of an attack from stealth given these do not consume but rather build malice which then can allow a dodge back with DJ followup.

CS is a good choice as well. Indeed I can even see a place for ACRO depending on what your alternate weaponset is and how often you in it. There ought to be oodles of stealth access in acro on dodge and don't stop might be nice given the impairing condition removal on 5 now gone. There damage loss to be sure so if the focus is rifle and the big hits then CS or DA likely better.

@babazhook.6805 said:

Sorry you are right 2 boons . I am not sure why I put 4. It was late so I was conflating with something.

The main reason for the DA is the poison source. CS does do more damage but I found poison invaluable against warrior or d/p thief in particular . You not only add poison on steal but weakness as well. You then get an ongoing source with the Panic strike if wished (revealed is an alternative) which can come to you with the Rifle immob or the alternate weapon immob . I had a few scraps 1v1 with a few d/p thief daredevils and was able to get the poison off from steal via SE more reliably wherein they were fumbling attacks while mine hit for full force. On warriors with the kiting and poison , you can really impact the heals they have ongoing which can force them to break off early. (this another reason for RS as it can keep resistance off). I do pop into stealth a lot even if the malice not stacked to either use RS more , or just drop to a kneel to use a kneel version of an attack from stealth given these do not consume but rather build malice which then can allow a dodge back with DJ followup.

CS is a good choice as well. Indeed I can even see a place for ACRO depending on what your alternate weaponset is and how often you in it. There ought to be oodles of stealth access in acro on dodge and don't stop might be nice given the impairing condition removal on 5 now gone. There damage loss to be sure so if the focus is rifle and the big hits then CS or DA likely better.

well as i run d/p next to my rifle, i can onehit most thieves quickly with a MBackstab dont even need malice for that. and warrior building up malice against them is easy as i got range andvantage they cannot instantly close and once build up most of them i can onehit aswell, so i dont really need that apllication of poison/weakness. if you playa more defensive build i guess it could be usefull tho

@babazhook.6805 said:CS is a good choice as well. Indeed I can even see a place for ACRO depending on what your alternate weaponset is and how often you in it. There ought to be oodles of stealth access in acro on dodge and don't stop might be nice given the impairing condition removal on 5 now gone. There damage loss to be sure so if the focus is rifle and the big hits then CS or DA likely better.

Before the auto nerf I was running a tanky S/D rifle set with acro/trickery/DE, it was good while it lasted but honestly S/D lacks a lot of punch without mug or something else backing it up. That said I had 2.7k armor, good protection and roughly 75% quickness uptime (could easily get 20s of quickness before cooldowns hit) and my sword auto chain regularly hit for 12k and 9k larcenous strikes were a thing, so it probably needed toning down really.

I rarely swap to S/D on my build, I primarily fight on rifle. hence the lack of energy sigil on both sets since I don't swap enough to make use of it. It was fun to solo a fractal boss with earlier today tho, the endurance from the sneak attack is more useful than it looked on paper, and perma protection in melee is pretty strong. Honestly D/P is a better choice offensively for offset for WvW, I just hate being that slow lol

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:I rarely swap to S/D on my build, I primarily fight on rifle. hence the lack of energy sigil on both sets since I don't swap enough to make use of it. It was fun to solo a fractal boss with earlier today tho, the endurance from the sneak attack is more useful than it looked on paper, and perma protection in melee is pretty strong. Honestly D/P is a better choice offensively for offset for WvW, I just hate being that slow lol

I've been noticing a lack of incentive to switch to S/D. Worried that I'm relying on Rifle too much - but its getting results so..

I keep eyeing up SA in favour of DA, mainly for RS, like a long lost lover but realistically, with DJ, I'm getting two full-malice shots off in the 16s (SH) till Steal is up. So with SA, I'm looking at maybe 4 boons ripped. Without, only 3, but on the Steal rather than DJ which takes the pressure off from DJ for when it is dodged.

Likewise, while I can understand the appeal of SA for folks preferring to get up close and personal, a lot of the QOL the specialization offers seems to for circumstances that are less of a bother when skirmishing at range.

Hmm.. choices. Tough choices. Good game choices. I think the thief core specializations are in a rather good spot atm.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:It's also pretty funny to get taunted in stealth only to one shot someone with a DJ they forced themselves lol.

Wait, what? This doesn't happen with any other stealth attack in the game. Taunted stealth forces the normal AA rather than the stealth attack. It's another major reason why D/D is so terrible.

Not sure, but I've definitely marked a rev in WvW, gained stealth from the SA trait and dazed them with SoH which triggered their taunt trait, and my char then fires off a DJ while taunted. Try it, it should be fairly easy to replicate with a friend.

It would also be interesting to see if taunt forces the sneak attack for pistol mainhand and shortbow, to see if it's a rifle specific issue or ranged weapons. I don't know which it is offhand.

@Scud.5067 said:

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:I rarely swap to S/D on my build, I primarily fight on rifle. hence the lack of energy sigil on both sets since I don't swap enough to make use of it. It was fun to solo a fractal boss with earlier today tho, the endurance from the sneak attack is more useful than it looked on paper, and perma protection in melee is pretty strong. Honestly D/P is a better choice offensively for offset for WvW, I just hate being that slow lol

I've been noticing a lack of incentive to switch to S/D. Worried that I'm relying on Rifle too much - but its getting results so..

I keep eyeing up SA in favour of DA, mainly for RS, like a long lost lover but realistically, with DJ, I'm getting two full-malice shots off in the 16s (SH) till Steal is up. So with SA, I'm looking at maybe 4 boons ripped. Without, only 3, but on the Steal rather than DJ which takes the pressure off from DJ for when it is dodged.

Likewise, while I can understand the appeal of SA for folks preferring to get up close and personal, a lot of the QOL the specialization offers seems to for circumstances that are less of a bother when skirmishing at range.

Hmm.. choices. Tough choices. Good game choices. I think the thief core specializations are in a rather good spot atm.

I've been thinking about swapping it out for something else as well, but I honestly don't know what to swap it for. Shortbow has mobility and evasiveness like S/D does, but outside of AoE doesn't offer much that rifle needs, and choking gas is a little weak on power builds without daredevil and PI I feel. D/P feels super clunky without steal (most good opponents dodge shadow shot backstab combo anyway), so outside of high spike (matched by rifle) and stealth (also matched by rifle) it doesn't offer anything unique for deadeye either unless you build around it. I never got on with D/P that much tho so maybe I'm biased. Dual pistols doesn't offer anything rifle doesn't imo, so the only option left is sword mainhand, and S/D beats S/P for me as boonsteal and unblockable malice building is more useful than pistol whip, unless you want more interrupts? If I was going to swap S/D for anything it would be shortbow for the AoE I figure, the lack of the gap closer from steal really hurts the melee sets on DE imo.

I love how DE doesn't have a set trait spec tho. SA for me covers the weaknesses of thief quite nicely, sure I don't do the absolute best damage I can do but I hit a ranger for 20k with DJ the other day, I don't know how much more damage I need really. I play more skirmisher than assassin tho, so it works for me.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:D/P feels super clunky without steal (most good opponents dodge shadow shot backstab combo anyway), so outside of high spike (matched by rifle) and stealth (also matched by rifle) it doesn't offer anything unique for deadeye either unless you build around it. I never got on with D/P that much tho so maybe I'm biased.i mostly dont use shadow shot for the backstab, either i use shadow step if i think i need to close the gap instantly or i walk just up on them. but the best way is shooting with rifle till they come close to hit you, dodge their first hit , swap and onehit that works often. with a dagger mainhand on 2nd set you can permastealth without utilities or endurance gain (assuming you got sa with hidden thief not sure if i need it but i use it) you dont even need the pistol offhand but it is useful. so once malice is up you got all time you want in stealth to use that backstab that will kill most.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

I've been thinking about swapping it out for something else as well, but I honestly don't know what to swap it for. Shortbow has mobility and evasiveness like S/D does, but outside of AoE doesn't offer much that rifle needs, and choking gas is a little weak on power builds without daredevil and PI I feel. D/P feels super clunky without steal (most good opponents dodge shadow shot backstab combo anyway), so outside of high spike (matched by rifle) and stealth (also matched by rifle) it doesn't offer anything unique for deadeye either unless you build around it. I never got on with D/P that much tho so maybe I'm biased. Dual pistols doesn't offer anything rifle doesn't imo, so the only option left is sword mainhand, and S/D beats S/P for me as boonsteal and unblockable malice building is more useful than pistol whip, unless you want more interrupts? If I was going to swap S/D for anything it would be shortbow for the AoE I figure, the lack of the gap closer from steal really hurts the melee sets on DE imo.

I love how DE doesn't have a set trait spec tho. SA for me covers the weaknesses of thief quite nicely, sure I don't do the absolute best damage I can do but I hit a ranger for 20k with DJ the other day, I don't know how much more damage I need really. I play more skirmisher than assassin tho, so it works for me.

Pw on s/p hits hard, has those interrupts with evade and works especially well with Quickness. I would not take it without high quickness access. in WvW i like to use with a Sigil of Severance as combined with BqoBk I am netting 200 power 450 precision and 250 ferocity with regularity while using PW. With any normal build this all but 100 percent crit through the chain with ferocity added .The quickness makes it rock as without it the entire channel harder to land.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

i mostly open with spotter into trb because with just trb most dodge after the first hit, in case of most mesmer you will recieve the bullets right back. for mesmers i only use spotters till malice is up a bit then swap to dagger with gurateed crit and onehit :DHonestly, given that mirage can dodge even when immobed I rarely bother with spotter's shot unless I'm being body blocked or immobing lone players in front of our group, especially since most chrono die easier as they have less evades as it is. It's not a bad strategy tho, and at close to max range you can fire off a spotter's shot then DJ before the first shot reveals you. Dagger is more effective you're right, I dislike D/P so I run S/D instead. Strengths and weaknesses to both I guess ^^i still miss the corrupt from CB , i mainly used it to get rid of protection but now as uninterruptable stealth access lets us play more aggressive i dont need to get rid of protection anymore,Yup, I do miss timing CB and three round burst at close to max range tho. It all hit at once due to the slow projectile speed on CB which made it a one shot vs most thieves. That said I miss it less than I would have before the auto nerf, that really helped deadeye out vs daredevils in the long run.if the opponent was not a thief/mesmer i really loved even against good trying to hit DJ, because there was allways a way to make them take it with baiting dodges and reflects or baiting a movement skill.

Yeah, it's always fun to try to hit something evasive with a telegraphed skill. Especially so since you only had to land it once hahawhile the projectile block is nice the setup IMO is stupid as you need to aim the direction and it is placed on a distant , i would prefer it being cast on the deadeye similar to smoke screen so you would have a 360° projectile protection and wouldnt be forced to move around the wall while kneeling.
I think a 360 block might be slightly too much given how spammable it is. It's clunky you're right, but it lasts long enough for you to spike, wait out revealed and stealth, so it's not the worst I guess? It's not something I'd use at close enough range that moving is a problem, only if the ranger is trying to stay at max distance all the time.
Never mind, I misunderstood

Don't get me wrong, deadeye could definitely still use tweaks, PvE is a mess but so is thief in general for that game mode. I'm just saying it's not the end of the world, I guess ^^

Could be wrong. but everyone can dodge while immobilized. You just do a very strange hop up into the air and roll without moving.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:It's also pretty funny to get taunted in stealth only to one shot someone with a DJ they forced themselves lol.

Wait, what? This doesn't happen with any other stealth attack in the game. Taunted stealth forces the normal AA rather than the stealth attack. It's another major reason why D/D is so terrible.

Not sure, but I've definitely marked a rev in WvW, gained stealth from the SA trait and dazed them with SoH which triggered their taunt trait, and my char then fires off a DJ while taunted. Try it, it should be fairly easy to replicate with a friend.

It would also be interesting to see if taunt forces the sneak attack for pistol mainhand and shortbow, to see if it's a rifle specific issue or ranged weapons. I don't know which it is offhand.

@saerni.2584 said:I can confirm that Sneak Attack can trigger from stealthed taunts.

The behavior isn’t 100% consistent but it does happen. The behavior is similar to using a mark stolen skill in stealth (Sneak Attack will trigger off stolen skills).

This is super weird. Interesting, though.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

i mostly open with spotter into trb because with just trb most dodge after the first hit, in case of most mesmer you will recieve the bullets right back. for mesmers i only use spotters till malice is up a bit then swap to dagger with gurateed crit and onehit :DHonestly, given that mirage can dodge even when immobed I rarely bother with spotter's shot unless I'm being body blocked or immobing lone players in front of our group, especially since most chrono die easier as they have less evades as it is. It's not a bad strategy tho, and at close to max range you can fire off a spotter's shot then DJ before the first shot reveals you. Dagger is more effective you're right, I dislike D/P so I run S/D instead. Strengths and weaknesses to both I guess ^^i still miss the corrupt from CB , i mainly used it to get rid of protection but now as uninterruptable stealth access lets us play more aggressive i dont need to get rid of protection anymore,Yup, I do miss timing CB and three round burst at close to max range tho. It all hit at once due to the slow projectile speed on CB which made it a one shot vs most thieves. That said I miss it less than I would have before the auto nerf, that really helped deadeye out vs daredevils in the long run.if the opponent was not a thief/mesmer i really loved even against good trying to hit DJ, because there was allways a way to make them take it with baiting dodges and reflects or baiting a movement skill.

Yeah, it's always fun to try to hit something evasive with a telegraphed skill. Especially so since you only had to land it once hahawhile the projectile block is nice the setup IMO is stupid as you need to aim the direction and it is placed on a distant , i would prefer it being cast on the deadeye similar to smoke screen so you would have a 360° projectile protection and wouldnt be forced to move around the wall while kneeling.
I think a 360 block might be slightly too much given how spammable it is. It's clunky you're right, but it lasts long enough for you to spike, wait out revealed and stealth, so it's not the worst I guess? It's not something I'd use at close enough range that moving is a problem, only if the ranger is trying to stay at max distance all the time.
Never mind, I misunderstood

Don't get me wrong, deadeye could definitely still use tweaks, PvE is a mess but so is thief in general for that game mode. I'm just saying it's not the end of the world, I guess ^^

Could be wrong. but everyone can dodge while immobilized. You just do a very strange hop up into the air and roll without moving.

Perhaps its simply activating Skill 1 :/ ?

You shouldn't be able to dodge while immobilized; it's explicitly the reason why immob is so strong and has been part of the mechanic since launch.

Mirage can just dodge during anything regardless of what it's affected by, including hard CC, which is a big reason why the class is overperforming.

It would be nice if shadow gust is like illusionary ambush but with stealth instead of clone swaps. Reduce it’s recharge time to 20.

It would give deadyes a good defensive/offensive capabilities.

add: Also make sniper cover target-less cast. Infact just make it like OH Pistol 5 but without the blind pulse. Instead it just gives you Fury and Quickness.

@DragonSlayer.1087 said:It would be nice if shadow gust is like illusionary ambush but with stealth instead of clone swaps. Reduce it’s recharge time to 20.

It would give deadyes a good defensive/offensive capabilities.

add: Also make sniper cover target-less cast. Infact just make it like OH Pistol 5 but without the blind pulse. Instead it just gives you Fury and Quickness.

I wouldn't mind if it spawned some really quickly disappearing clones (like 1 1/2s) to break target and randomly shadow step you like illusionary ambush, that would be cool. I like the dual usage of def/offense idea, which it already is but could be improved upon. Think of something like the Ninja's leaving decoys that disappear as a distraction.Edit: wanted to elaborate that they are like after images with 0 hp, just serving as distraction

Archived