Cantha Map (future?)

@Grave.9258 said:Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they say that they won't make any new class or an expansion which we'll have to pay for?No, they never said that. People misinterpreted a statement about updates remaining free to include expansions.

The same with any new playable race. I'm still holding my fingers crossed for that.You can uncross them. They have recently tripled (or maybe quadrupled down) on not introducing a playable race anytime soon.

They had no plans for those things in the past but now it's different game and a lot has changed.Regardless, they have recently said they have no plans to add a new race or new profession any time soon. As always, they reserve the right to change their mind, but that would be years down the road.

A lot of people are hyped for cantha and would buy an expansion only to go there.And people are hyped for a lot of other places, too.Personally, I'd love to go to some new place, that wasn't in GW1, that hasn't yet been visited in GW2. Tyria is a lot bigger than we think, because the game has limited us to a narrow part of the world.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

Personally, I'd love to go to some new place, that wasn't in GW1, that hasn't yet been visited in GW2. Tyria is a lot bigger than we think, because the game has limited us to a narrow part of the world.

I agree with this. I just feel that Cantha should be a part of GW2's future as well. Give us new but also give us Cantha!

At this point, I’m ok with either going to a GW1 location or not. I prefer completely new locations with little to no lore (for xpac3, not to say no cantha ever), but if we get somewhere we saw in the first game, it’s just one more less places they can do in the following expansion. Sooner or later, we’re going to get all-new places. Can’t wait for deep sea and woodland!

If we will go Cantha,I would love to see most human in cantha has been wiped out (probably extinct!)and tengu will be a dominant race in the continent. (yay we got tengu as new playable race!!)

Moreover, Kaineng city has sunk under the sea all the human city were left in ruined. Tengu adopted Canthanion culture and customs.

So, The human centric story problem is solved!!! ( i really bored of human centric story already, poor charr and norn. but asura is everywhere!!!)

I prefer blood legion homeland/far shiverpeak peak , but Cantha might have cooler Elite Specializations and maps.

Currently in Crystal Oasis map far east. You will recognize Cantha theme structures.

1. http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny%27s_Gorge
  2. http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Xunlai_Agent
  3. http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Xunlai

HistoryThe Xunlai Guild originated on the continent of Cantha sometime around the year 600. Their service remained local to Cantha for several centuries. It was not until the year 1058, when diplomatic and trade lines between Tyria and Cantha began to be renewed, that the Xunlai Guild expanded its services to other regions. Today they are a common sight in both Tyria and Elona.

TBH I would love Cantha back but I didn't think it would considering the 'cantha' themed area in DR had to be taken down 'due to complaints' I think they would be too scared too do it now.Besides, If they are going to just put big ugly purple lines over things I'd rather it stays in the first game.:/

@"DJRiful.3749" said:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Cantha_Map.jpg

15:27, 12 February 2018"Replacing GW2 textured map copy of GW1's Cantha map, with a section from the Durmand Priory world map. Annoyingly small, but largest I can get."

Pretty sure there is a reason they updated the map... hint wink

A player updated the map picture in the Wiki; what special reason do you think this is? Something other than a more comprehensive Wiki?

@Tyson.5160 said:

@Endless Soul.5178 said:I used to be excited about an updated Cantha. Now I'm sick to death of human centric regions. Please,
ANYWHERE
but Cantha.

Probably because GW1 was a human centric game...

Yes it was but now we play GW2... no doubt Cantha would be a huge marketing and community boost but for the next 2 or 3 expansions, no more humanity in it, please.So many great stories left to be told about the origins of the Asura, the Charr and the Titans, and the always forgotten Norn... please find a way to send Kasmeer, Marjory, Anise, Faren and all the sugar-coated cute faces from DR to the Mists for years to come. The one thing I really miss from GW1 is the tone of the story-telling - let all the cutsey and quipping for Taimi already, she's doing it tolerably well, but have the other races and characters have some dramatic gravity and cruelness to their past and fate.If for the next expansion story we still have Kas or Jory in them weeping and longing... that'll kill it for me.

@Warkind.6745 said:If the next expac takes place in Cantha I will be offended not because of the Oriental theme, but because of the recycled setting. I want something good and new.

I don't get the complaints about Cantha, lol... did or do we get complaints from Africans or Middle East countries and people about Elona? Have there been complaints from the Scandinavians about the Norn?Seriously...

@Perisemiotics.4579 said:

@Warkind.6745 said:If the next expac takes place in Cantha I will be offended not because of the Oriental theme, but because of the recycled setting. I want something good and new.

I don't get the complaints about Cantha, lol... did or do we get complaints from Africans or Middle East countries and people about Elona? Have there been complaints from the Scandinavians about the Norn?Seriously...

Agree.

However in east asia Japan - Korea - China . they are not like each other that much.NCsoft is Korean company (Are they still own ANet?), So they might find it offense.Since Korea used to be overshadowed by China and Japanese. (especially Japan)

Korean might not want to merge their culture with China and Japanese (even if they shared some cultures)

but.... Come on, It is fantasy world. They need to get a life...somehow.This is the reason why i want to see Cantha so bad. I want to know if this 'offensive' reason rumor is true or not.

@"Super Hayes.6890" said:Add Cantha! This is not a hard decision. It had a great impact on the first game and it will have a great impact on the second game. It will practically sell an expansion on its own without any other perks. If international sales are a concern then show me where Cantha impacted GW1 sales negatively. Regardless of what everyone's personal opinions are you can't deny that adding Cantha in an expac would boost sales. I mean, I'm sure you will anyway...

Aside from the irony of "lost sales" of a demographic that had no interest being considered a "negative impact", the answer would be found in the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean sales numbers. Most Oriental/Asian countries have something of a cultural superiority complex stemming from its older population's world view of "outsiders". This racism is still there today, but its form has changed with a more globalized market and large scale trading. Younger Generations are more aligned with western culture, but its evolving into an aggressive apathy that is mostly picking up the more shallow consumerist attitudes in major trade centers, and blends into more traditional attitudes the further it radiates out.

The whole reason I bring this up is because Koreans, Japanese and Chinese have been caught up in enough history to have particular attitudes about each other thats essentially racism. The oldest surviving generations are still carrying that mind set, and gradually disappeared in the last couple of generations, as those have grown up in a more global oriented society. However, there is still a sentiment of cultural superiority that stems from the more traditional side of their culture, and the caste system its not really grown out of yet. Americans have the same problem internally, but they think its different because of the historical framing. With all that said... Koreans, Japanese and Chinese in particular DO NOT like it when anyone else tries to "interpret" their traditions, culture, practices, or otherwise muddy things associated with their ancestral identity. Things that are considered sacred, and follow strict rules. Things that even the modern generations were taught to have some respect for, even though much of it isn't practiced as much, or is more of religion-lite.

So the idea of a modified or amalgamate version of traditions, symbolism or historical reference comes off as insulting if it even hints at casting them in a negative light. And if Hollywood movies are any indication, offending the Chinese market loses out on a huge chunk of it. The Queen's Pavilion in Divity USED to be the Canthan city block... but NC Soft had them get rid of it, because they are a Korean company and never liked Cantha to begin with. NCSoft also pushed against the original Factions game, and as far as I know, its not clear how it was green lit given the setting it sported. Americans are enthralled with Asian culture at a distance, and Asian markets have this same fascination with Western ones. Thats why European elements are such a huge hit in JRPGs with loose interpretations of Christian mythology, while anything from Chinese/Japanese/Korean Legend or Mythology tends to stick much stronger to its roots, and rely more on the shared aspects of a legend to cross the barrier. Modern Western society is identical in this behavior with the Catholic/Christian off-shoots, and how they dance around it by not directly referencing something, and simply "implying" to leverage the symbolism.

I guess to make it more clear.... the problem isn't necessarily the gamers. I'm pretty sure most won't care unless the game is overtly trying to be offensive. But the larger market their attached to likes to demonize things for show, and art/entertainment makes an easy target for that. The US gaming market has gone through this every 10 years since its inception, and just look at whats considered offensive then compared to now; and then what happens when its seen that way. You also have to take into account that GW1 was NOT a Mass Market game; and it would take a few more years before MMOs went from trend to primary business model. So you can't just draw a direct line between then and now, because the market situation has massively changed from 2005. Back in 2005 the biggest concern from the Chinese market for an MMO was Gold Sellers.

@Endless Soul.5178 said:I used to be excited about an updated Cantha. Now I'm sick to death of human centric regions. Please,
ANYWHERE
but Cantha.

Probably because GW1 was a human centric game...

Yes it was but now we play GW
... no doubt Cantha would be a huge marketing and community boost but for the next 2 or 3 expansions, no more humanity in it, please.So many great stories left to be told about the origins of the Asura, the Charr and the Titans, and the always forgotten Norn... please find a way to send Kasmeer, Marjory, Anise, Faren and all the sugar-coated cute faces from DR to the Mists for years to come. The one thing I really miss from GW1 is the tone of the story-telling - let all the cutsey and quipping for Taimi already, she's doing it tolerably well, but have the other races and characters have some dramatic gravity and cruelness to their past and fate.If for the next expansion story we still have Kas or Jory in them weeping and longing... that'll kill it for me.

Given that the last we heard that the Canthans were Xenophobic, expect much more human stuff, unless we go to Cantha and see the whole continent obliterated by oh I don’t know the DSD.

@Tasida.4085 said:Anet made it clear at launch Cantha will not be a factor in GW2. We all asked repeatedly in the beginning and always got the same reply. Would be gr8 to have but I'd say it's still going to be a big NO.

That's just out of date. They said it >for the current state<, like every other statement they made. And those current state is about 6 years old now.Remember, they also said they wouldn't bring expansions, new classes or even mounts (back then). And look now, I'm riding through expansion maps on my mount with my new class. And that's not the only things.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@"Super Hayes.6890" said:Add Cantha! This is not a hard decision. It had a great impact on the first game and it will have a great impact on the second game. It will practically sell an expansion on its own without any other perks. If international sales are a concern then show me where Cantha impacted GW1 sales negatively. Regardless of what everyone's personal opinions are you can't deny that adding Cantha in an expac would boost sales. I mean, I'm sure you will anyway...

Aside from the irony of "lost sales" of a demographic that had no interest being considered a "negative impact", the answer would be found in the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean sales numbers. Most Oriental/Asian countries have something of a cultural superiority complex stemming from its older population's world view of "outsiders". This racism is still there today, but its form has changed with a more globalized market and large scale trading. Younger Generations are more aligned with western culture, but its evolving into an aggressive apathy that is mostly picking up the more shallow consumerist attitudes in major trade centers, and blends into more traditional attitudes the further it radiates out.

The whole reason I bring this up is because Koreans, Japanese and Chinese have been caught up in enough history to have particular attitudes about each other thats essentially racism. The oldest surviving generations are still carrying that mind set, and gradually disappeared in the last couple of generations, as those have grown up in a more global oriented society. However, there is still a sentiment of cultural superiority that stems from the more traditional side of their culture, and the caste system its not really grown out of yet. Americans have the same problem internally, but they think its different because of the historical framing. With all that said... Koreans, Japanese and Chinese in particular DO NOT like it when anyone else tries to "interpret" their traditions, culture, practices, or otherwise muddy things associated with their ancestral identity. Things that are considered sacred, and follow strict rules. Things that even the modern generations were taught to have some respect for, even though much of it isn't practiced as much, or is more of religion-lite.

So the idea of a modified or amalgamate version of traditions, symbolism or historical reference comes off as insulting if it even hints at casting them in a negative light. And if Hollywood movies are any indication, offending the Chinese market loses out on a huge chunk of it. The Queen's Pavilion in Divity USED to be the Canthan city block... but NC Soft had them get rid of it, because they are a Korean company and never liked Cantha to begin with. NCSoft also pushed against the original Factions game, and as far as I know, its not clear how it was green lit given the setting it sported. Americans are enthralled with Asian culture at a distance, and Asian markets have this same fascination with Western ones. Thats why European elements are such a huge hit in JRPGs with loose interpretations of Christian mythology, while anything from Chinese/Japanese/Korean Legend or Mythology tends to stick much stronger to its roots, and rely more on the shared aspects of a legend to cross the barrier. Modern Western society is identical in this behavior with the Catholic/Christian off-shoots, and how they dance around it by not directly referencing something, and simply "implying" to leverage the symbolism.

I guess to make it more clear.... the problem isn't necessarily the gamers. I'm pretty sure most won't care unless the game is overtly trying to be offensive. But the larger market their attached to likes to demonize things for show, and art/entertainment makes an easy target for that. The US gaming market has gone through this every 10 years since its inception, and just look at whats considered offensive then compared to now; and then what happens when its seen that way. You also have to take into account that GW1 was NOT a Mass Market game; and it would take a few more years before MMOs went from trend to primary business model. So you can't just draw a direct line between then and now, because the market situation has massively changed from 2005. Back in 2005 the biggest concern from the Chinese market for an MMO was Gold Sellers.

Okay, seriously, thank you for posting this. I found your post incredibly informative. I officially am taking my argument back. I still hope Cantha gets added to GW2 and will keep voicing that hope but will stop saying it is simple.

I clearly said I don't care about the Oriental setting. I want GW2 to do more than follow in the footsteps of GW1.

@lokh.2695 said:Of course a reason to go there can be written, much like a reason to go anywhere can be introduced, just think about the great reason we had to go to ember bay or siren's landing ;)I think if you feel nostalgic for GW1, why not play it for a few hours, it's all there. GW1 had Cantha, so we obviously need to have Cantha in GW2. GW1 had capes, so it's just natural to have capes in GW2. GW1 had ritualists and scythes, so why aren't they already in GW2, seriously. I just wish for something new, something not reliant on nostalgia, something that isn't a reference and not much else. GW1 also rooted you while using 80% of the skills, do we need to have that too? GW1 didn't let you jump, do we need to remove it now in GW2? GW1 was all instanced and railroaded maps with lots of invisble walls, is GW2 representing this badly and it should change?I loved the PoF maps and Elona in general in GW2 and I'm sure if it's Cantha next, ANet will do a great job and I will love it as well. But can't we have something new now since this is a new game? I'd rather have GW2 explore other regions like the Legions Homelands or the Far Shiverpeaks.

(Don't nitpick me on the fact that there is nothing new under the sun in a sense that no real creativity ever exists because nothing just comes out of nowhere. I am fully aware of said fact. I'm just more in favor of picking the road less traveled above endless rehash or reinvention for nostalgic value alone.)

tbh, we need Cantha to conclude that fan service to both the franchise and gw1 players. If Cantha comes to gw2, i'm sure it won't be anything like it was in gw1, just as Elona/Crystal Desert weren't, other than some major locations such as the actual regions. I think Cantha would be amazing and they should add a new class, Ritualist. That would complete gw2 as well hugely please those gw1 players who are constantly asking for it. After that, rest of Tyria is open for exploration. The sky is the limit and Anet can takes us anywhere. It would be a perfect time to explore a completely new region and perhaps add new races to the game.