Deadeye is broken OP

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

@Crystal Paladin.3871 said:By frustrate, I meant the actual frustration.... No way to stay alive... Death in 2 secs... ;)

I didn't know you have to give up the ability to dodge, block and reflect to become a bunker.

Dodge is the only option... And for bunkers fighting and staying on points, it's always used up most of the time... Pressure from cqc guys hard to stay vigilant of health with a sudden 12k~20k drop in health, it's almost instant death... Running away is nearly impossible but only a pro can reset fight at that point... meanwhile, the thief who takes potshots necessarily need not be one to do that dmg.... U get my point??? That's why I mentioned it a frustration...

Anyway it's up to a person's mindset weather to really accept it or not... Or suggest more cliche responses like "use dodge" "run away" "block" "signet" that's beside the point I'm trying to make... If you feel that's not at all a frustration for warriors and guards and esp necros, idk what is...

Reflect doesn't work on dj? Use dodge is somehow not a valid suggestion?

The build has damage that you dodge once to break the entire build. Dodge that damage and win the fight. Or reflect it and win the fight.

It's actually NOT USEFUL at anything but trolling and losing games. Why should you not have to press your dodge button? Provide a valid reason.

Ill assume you havent thought about the math based on your response so let me put it into perspective.

DJ happens while in stealth. It does have an audio queue yes, and dodging is the only way to avoid it, however did you know that a DE can use DJ more times than you can dodge? Once they bait out your dodges then dodging becomes useless. If DJ wasn't unblockable (or hit as hard as it does) then it wouldn't be bad.

This is factually incorrect. You can dodge more frequently than a fully buffed dj can be fired, in terms of cooldown and timers and the initiative system.

Yes a regular dj can be fired more than you can dodge but getting hit for 5k isn't gamebreaking

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Crystal Paladin.3871 said:By frustrate, I meant the actual frustration.... No way to stay alive... Death in 2 secs... ;)

I didn't know you have to give up the ability to dodge, block and reflect to become a bunker.

Dodge is the only option... And for bunkers fighting and staying on points, it's always used up most of the time... Pressure from cqc guys hard to stay vigilant of health with a sudden 12k~20k drop in health, it's almost instant death... Running away is nearly impossible but only a pro can reset fight at that point... meanwhile, the thief who takes potshots necessarily need not be one to do that dmg.... U get my point??? That's why I mentioned it a frustration...

Anyway it's up to a person's mindset weather to really accept it or not... Or suggest more cliche responses like "use dodge" "run away" "block" "signet" that's beside the point I'm trying to make... If you feel that's not at all a frustration for warriors and guards and esp necros, idk what is...

The build has damage that you dodge once to break the entire build. Dodge that damage and win the fight. Or reflect it and win the fight.

It's actually NOT USEFUL at anything but trolling and losing games. Why should you not have to press your dodge button? Provide a valid reason.

Ill assume you havent thought about the math based on your response so let me put it into perspective.

DJ happens while in stealth. It does have an audio queue yes, and dodging is the only way to avoid it, however did you know that a DE can use DJ more times than you can dodge? Once they bait out your dodges then dodging becomes useless. If DJ wasn't unblockable (or hit as hard as it does) then it wouldn't be bad.

DJ is cast from stealth but it instantly reveals as soon as it’s activated with all the Tells being visible and audible....

With the DE elite, being revealed means nothing ;P

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

DJ is cast from stealth but it instantly reveals as soon as it’s activated with all the Tells being visible and audible....

With the DE elite, being revealed means nothing ;P

Can’t cast the elite during the DJ animation, sorry but before DJ ever does its animation or damage the DE is Revealed with all of its blatantly obvious audio/visual tells. Also all Malice is consumed on DJ if it hits, but hey knowing how skills work is tough.

@"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:

Can’t cast the elite during the DJ animation, sorry but before DJ ever does its animation or damage the DE is Revealed with all of its blatantly obvious audio/visual tells. Also all Malice is consumed on DJ if it hits, but hey knowing how skills work is tough.

Is this the skills you're talking about? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Death%27s_Judgment Or am I in different game?

Here is why DJ is so OP :DJ doesn't cost initiative.DJ cool down is 1 sec that's nothing consider the damage.There is 3 secs revealed but it can easily removed by DE Elite.Malic ONLY consumed if DJ hits the target, make dodging useless since DJ can be shot 2 sec later.Not to mention unblockable.Being revealed is actually why DJ hit so hard, due to additional power from https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Revealed_TrainingAlso knowing where the DE after casting DJ doesn't help either since you can stealth almost immediately. Not to mention 1500 range is distance only LB ranger can catch.

@Arbalest.4506 said:

@"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:

Is this the skills you're talking about?
Or am I in different game?

Here is why DJ is so OP :DJ doesn't cost initiative.DJ cool down is 1 sec that's nothing consider the damage.There is 3 secs revealed but it can easily removed by DE Elite.Malic ONLY consumed if DJ hits the target, make dodging useless since DJ can be shot 2 sec later.Not to mention unblockable.Being revealed is actually why DJ hit so hard, due to additional power from
Also knowing where the DE after casting DJ doesn't help either since you can stealth almost immediately. Not to mention 1500 range is distance only LB ranger can catch.

A few fun facts:

The damage doesn’t come from stealth, DE is revealed before any animation starts for the attack.

DJ has multiple extremely obvious tells both audio and visual to alert players that they are being targeted, before any damage happens, on top of the projectile travel time(the DJ Projectile is relatively slow moving and is a dark red/orange beam, not to be confused with the bright red laser before the shot fires.)

The DE elite has a cast time and mixed with the after cast of DJ allows for more counterplay, they can’t use it during the casting of DJ, they have to wait for the animation to complete before casting the 3/4 sec Elite to restealth after the 1/2 cast of DJ....

“1200” Range Longbows(and a few other “1200” Range weapons) go further than DEs 1500 Range so saying nothing besides Ranger longbow can match it is false.

DE/DJ is one of the easiest builds to counterplay with the plethora of options and having an iota of situational awareness and basic gameplay mechanic knowledge.

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

@"Airdive.2613" said:A bit more on topic.There are abilities in GW 2 whose description claim they "destroy projectiles".

The ones I can think of are:
  • guardian sanctuary;
  • guardian sword 3;
  • dragonhunter longbow 3;
  • necromancer corrosive poison cloud;
  • druid staff 5;
  • mesmer focus 5 (untraited).

Could the community check if these (and more) skills can counter death's judgment?Some skills look like they could also destroy projectiles (thief smoke screen, ranger axe 5, mesmer focus 4 and 5 when traited) but differ in description.

They do
not
work against any unblockable attacks.

They do. Guardian's sanctuary only cannot block beam attacks, while physically destroing any projectile. Might be the same with spellbreaker's elite.

@Airdive.2613 said:

@Airdive.2613 said:A bit more on topic.There are abilities in GW 2 whose description claim they "destroy projectiles".

• guardian sanctuary;
  • guardian sword 3;
  • druid staff 5;

Could the community check if these (and more) skills can counter death's judgment?Some skills look like they could also destroy projectiles (thief smoke screen, ranger axe 5, mesmer focus 4 and 5 when traited) but differ in description.

They do
not

They do. Guardian's sanctuary only cannot block beam attacks, while physically destroing any projectile. Might be the same with spellbreaker's elite.

Unblockable Projectile Attacks go through any blocks/reflects/projectile destroy effects, this has always been the case.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Airdive.2613 said:A bit more on topic.There are abilities in GW 2 whose description claim they "destroy projectiles".

• guardian sanctuary;
  • guardian sword 3;
  • druid staff 5;

They do
not

Unblockable Projectile Attacks go through any blocks/reflects/projectile destroy effects, this has always been the case.

Everything in the game, blocks, reflects, conversions...the game considers ALL of them blocks. Unblockable goes right through.

@Ubi.4136 said:

• guardian sanctuary;
  • guardian sword 3;
  • druid staff 5;

They do
not

Everything in the game, blocks, reflects, conversions...the game considers ALL of them blocks. Unblockable goes right through.

But can you actually confirm? Because the wiki for guardian's Sanctuary still states it literally destroys projectiles regardless of their blockability.

@Ubi.4136 said:

• guardian sanctuary;
  • guardian sword 3;
  • druid staff 5;

They do
not

That’s what I said, Unblockable Projectiles go through them....

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:

• guardian sanctuary;
  • guardian sword 3;
  • druid staff 5;

They do
not

That’s what I said, Unblockable Projectiles go through them....

Yep, I was agreeing, it's early.

@Airdive.2613 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:

• guardian sanctuary;
  • guardian sword 3;
  • druid staff 5;

They do
not

But can you actually confirm? Because the wiki for guardian's Sanctuary still states it literally destroys projectiles regardless of their blockability.

Read the patchnotes section in Apr 2013 they patched it.

No longer destroys unblockable missiles.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:

• guardian sanctuary;
  • guardian sword 3;
  • druid staff 5;

They do
not

Read the patchnotes section in Apr 2013 they patched it.

No longer destroys unblockable missiles.

Oh well, that's a shame. Thank you for pointing it out.

@Arbalest.4506 said:

@"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:

Here is why DJ is so OP :DJ doesn't cost initiative.DJ cool down is 1 sec that's nothing consider the damage.There is 3 secs revealed but it can easily removed by DE Elite.Malic ONLY consumed if DJ hits the target, make dodging useless since DJ can be shot 2 sec later.Not to mention unblockable.Being revealed is actually why DJ hit so hard, due to additional power from
Also knowing where the DE after casting DJ doesn't help either since you can stealth almost immediately. Not to mention 1500 range is distance only LB ranger can catch.

I don't know why they made dj unlockable but that one fact is the only thing making the build even remotely viable right now for the same reason core thief became viable.

You can still block everything else and dj unbuffed doesn't do much damage, and that's assuming you can't dodge the dj (which you can).

I think maybe dj should consume malice when dodged though. I feel being unlockable gives dj an actual use in pvp, but dodging it should negate it I think. Hard to say without testing the builds effectiveness at people who know how to beat it. I'll do some tests when I get home.

@Highlie.7641 said:

@Highlie.7641 said:Any decent thief is going to come out of stealth with 3 round burst, (which will bait your dodge) then use DJ, incase you don't know Dj has a cast time of 1/2 seconds without haste, (the thief will have haste due to traits) your dodge roll has an iframe of 3/4 of a second. learn timing and evades are not a defense.

but DJ is a stealth attack and cannot be used if revealed.

I don't use rifle, but that -is- how it works right? It's a flipover skill and reveals you when you use it, but you must be in stealth to begin with.

If a thief three round bursts on you from stealth, he is revealed and cant set up for DJ immediately unless he burns his elite. and that takes a full second from Meld to DJ.

is the description wrong or something?

hasted meld, dude. your forgetting the haste on mark GM trait

That doesn't make sense for any deadeye that is running a ridiculous crit build.Omitting Mal7 would make your base damage for Death's judgement around 1,218 without the power addition from QoBK, which is around the base damage one gets from a gravedigger. (Malice only adds 15% of base damage per stack, if my math is right.) You can live through a gravedigger if you aren't glass.

They'd also still have to mark you, which has a half second cast time, then quick meld and DJ take a quarter second each. That's still 1 and a half seconds to prepare to dodge, after you are aware of them, after they hit 5 malice, even if that -was- the build they used.

It's like thief can never never be in a good spot for spvp, I remember when thief was normally the go-to for blame and flak among the team when losing a match regardless of performance but got flak from the opposition when carrying a team. So how exactly would someone nerf/rework deadeye without hindering its main niche and remain relatively useful among other classes?

@Legatus.3608 said:

@"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:

I don't know why they made dj unlockable but that one fact is the only thing making the build even remotely viable right now for the same reason core thief became viable.

You can still block everything else and dj unbuffed doesn't do much damage, and that's assuming you can't dodge the dj (which you can).

The DE rework took away the original rifle stealth attack, which happened to be unblockable AND corrupt boons. They replaced it with Death's Judgement, which has better damage scaling with malice but nothing else (rip DE boonremoval). Also compared to the previous iteration, the post-rework DJ:

• can only be used from stealth
  • costs you all your malice on hit
  • can be used without kneeling, which seems as a buff until you realise it's just a way to waste your damage, kneel is still mandatory

And to offset all these changes(nerfs), they made DJ unblockable and removed the initiative cost, and it casts 1/4th of a second faster. Rifle offense is much weaker than it was before the rework, it just wasn't played at all(until other thief specs were ruined by clever and well thought out balance changes).

Also I had a good chuckle reading the posts about how its impossible to counter a rifle DE-s fire. I haven't experienced the hell that is platinum 1 and below for a long time, so it's possible that you guys can't dodge an incoming DJ, or can't find LoS fast enough not to get roflstomped by a rifle DE, but im playing with and against players who can. Every match, multiple times. Get good?

PS: If you were crying about the stealth on dodge I could be more understanding, but none of you even seem to care about that one.

@"Highlie.7641" said:That's not true at all Baszi, before the change you could reflect DJ, you can not after the change

That does not contradict what i wrote. Look for this part in my original comment: "And to offset all these changes(nerfs), they made DJ unblockable"

@Bazsi.2734 said:

@"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:

The DE rework took away the original rifle stealth attack, which happened to be unblockable AND corrupt boons. They replaced it with Death's Judgement, which has better damage scaling with malice but nothing else (rip DE boonremoval). Also compared to the previous iteration, the post-rework DJ:
  • can only be used from stealth
  • costs you all your malice on hit
  • can be used without kneeling, which seems as a buff until you realise it's just a way to waste your damage, kneel is still mandatory

And to offset all these changes(nerfs), they made DJ unblockable and removed the initiative cost, and it casts 1/4th of a second faster. Rifle offense is much weaker than it was before the rework, it just wasn't played at all(until other thief specs were ruined by clever and well thought out balance changes).

Also I had a good chuckle reading the posts about how its impossible to counter a rifle DE-s fire. I haven't experienced the hell that is platinum 1 and below for a long time, so it's possible that you guys can't dodge an incoming DJ, or can't find LoS fast enough not to get roflstomped by a rifle DE, but im playing with and against players who can. Every match, multiple times. Get good?

PS: If you were crying about the stealth on dodge I could be more understanding, but none of you even seem to care about that one.

Well I think I agree with fixing the malice on firing. I don't like that dodging the attack allows the de to fire again immediately after for almost no penalty because it doesn't use up malice.

That's the only ground I'm willing to give on a spec that is already trash though

@Highlie.7641 said:

@Highlie.7641 said:"DE rework took away the original rifle stealth attack, which happened to be unblockable AND corrupt boons." you very first line is misleading you should change it

It did take away the original DE rifle Stealth attack Cursed Bullet.... that was Unblockable and corrupted boons..

The orginal version was reflectable.... its one of the reasons i was using DS.

The line you quoted from Bazsi was talking about the original stealth attack of DE being replaced was Unblockable.....

Here is a reminder of what you said.

@Highlie.7641 said:"DE rework took away the original rifle stealth attack, which happened to be unblockable AND corrupt boons." you very first line is misleading you should change it

I've found DE to be pretty well balanced. Fun to play against (and sometimes as) is another matter entirely, though. I'd rather a little less burst and a little more....something else to compensate to give opponents a bit more opportunity to respond, but make it so that their ability to respond doesn't mean I'm going to instantly melt (or be forced to run away).

@Highlie.7641 said:I didn't mention a high crit build at all? i just said it's a bad mechainc to have an unblockable high damage attack.. that is usable from stealth.It's a projectile that can not be reflected, can you honestly say that's good design?

Deadeye is -supposedly- geared at being a bunker buster. It's Arenanet's answer to thieves not being able to toe to toe with guardians, scourges, and the like. so yeah. In exchange or having to announce presence, mark your target, engage them and telegraph everything you do, an unblockable from stealth that can be dodged or evaded is fine.

It's even more fine if it doesn't kill you if it hits you in exchange for being set up really quickly. I don't use it on my thief, but I haven't had any trouble fighting thieves that were trying to set up to DJ me.

Not to mention this isn't new. Cursed bullet used to be unblockable, less visible AND corrupted boons on you. I think you're overreacting a bit. If you don't want your bunker busted, pocket a dodge for the inevitable DJ when you get marked and engaged. If they're Mal7 and they telegraph that theyr'e Mal7 with the boon stacking, prepare for the oneshot. If they don't boonstack, you can eat the DJ.

If you're glass, the same applies but you also likely can engage the thief more aggressively.

@Solori.6025 said:

@Highlie.7641 said:Any decent thief is going to come out of stealth with 3 round burst, (which will bait your dodge) then use DJ, incase you don't know Dj has a cast time of 1/2 seconds without haste, (the thief will have haste due to traits) your dodge roll has an iframe of 3/4 of a second. learn timing and evades are not a defense.

but DJ is a stealth attack and cannot be used if revealed.

I don't use rifle, but that -is- how it works right? It's a flipover skill and reveals you when you use it, but you must be in stealth to begin with.

If a thief three round bursts on you from stealth, he is revealed and cant set up for DJ immediately unless he burns his elite. and that takes a full second from Meld to DJ.

is the description wrong or something?

hasted meld, dude.

Sounds like a lot of excuses and lots of opportunities to counterplay and interrupt...

Fact's are not excuses..

Excuses.

triggered?

Nope, just saying it how it’s, I’m not the one having trouble with easily avoidable highly telegraphed attacks, unlike some people.

Reading is hard isn't it....."Let's put it this way i have 11k life running a full glass core d/d thief spec.i have 0 problems killing deadeyes. But i can't honestly say Deadeye is a healthy spec for pvp? You can't either"

it's obvious at this point your using this to get carried, and you wonder why the player skill level is at an all time low. do you need a hint? kitten like this.

All these people complaining about a kitten build that isn't good in pvp or wvw at all, and the vast majority lying about how fights with DE play out.

Tell you what, why don't you link the build for me and I will walk you through the combat with said DE build. Because every single person on these forums thinks deadeye is the only elite spec in the game with 6 trait line slots and 12 utility slots, it is impossible to have a reasonable conversation. Link me the build you think is OP.

welcome to the club people put mesmer in. The punch is in the corner.

But in the case of mesmer the build was ACTUALLY good. The deadeye specs these people are talking about are trash builds that are generally only useful for trolling in bronze :(