What do you want fixed or changed for necromancer?

XECOR.2814

Target the weak is not consistent. Bonus damage for having more pres but giving crit chance per condition, which encourages having less pres. Add that reaper get decimate defences which over caps crit chance significantly.Necromancer suffers from traits that punishes stacking skills. Have to wait to trigger dhuumfire, demonic lore, chilling darkness or suffer dps drops. In pve these should have .5s cd at most, that way gs4, well of darkness and desert shroud can proc on all hits, not 50%. Necro are doing less than 75% damage of other classes, these pve splits need to happen. I understand why we need cd in pvp, but in pve necro is on a really bad place.Vampiric aura need to be percent based not a flat scale or it needs to be able to crit using ferocity. Scotter, ea, banners and pinpoint have multiplicative effects, vamp aura doesn't.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Necro has a handful of base design flaws, the biggest being deathshroud. Honestly they should give us full utility skill use in shroud and make it so we can heal in it but have reduced effect(50%?).

That said my vote goes for our traits:We have soul reaping which is manditory for every half decent build. So take that.Then there is spite/curses- if power take spite, if condi take curses.Don’t touch death and blood, they just don’t do anything worthwhile.

“But wait! What if I want to do support?”Then go play a class with healing, barrier is worse then healing. For barrier to be good it would have to be stronger then healing(look at any game with shields/barriers, they are always stronger then the healing) ours are not. Honestly remove barrier and give us a powerful kit built on stacking regeneration on our allies. There is already a slight theme for it in some of our weapon skills.As for support our best support trait is vamp presence which is worse then the guardian and ele passive heal auras.

Corruption is a bad skill type. And some weapons are just falling way behind power creep.

But Death/Reaper's Shroud CD needs to be reduced and Necros should be able to be healed in shroud by allies and utilities need to be available in shroud as well.

Utility - our defense needs something anti-focus, others have blocks, evades, invulnies, or right down damage to healing conversions. For necro it's "grab a firebrand, and strap him to your leg!".

Also i'd like to see ability to protect our necro boons from getting stripped. Necro is at bottom of the barrel in terms of boon spam, and boonhate is no longer necro's exclusive niche. Quite a few professions can easily deprive you of your own stab or protection. I'd prefer that necro instead of becoming nth boonspammer had his own way to do it - a conditional, skillbased boon-lock, so that boons he casts can't be removed for a certain grace period.

Our range game sucks. Ranger isn't that bad to fight if you got protection and signet of vampirism, but deadeyes are just disgusting. They outrange us, do absurd damage and have no issues kiting. While we got no real good reliable damage post 900 range, unless it's wells or lich form. Not that it matters as Deadeyes can snipe you at 1500 range vs which we have nothing. Necro can be both outranged and easily kited, that is a huge problem.

Also i'd like to more power necro interactions with condies, like self-bleeding boosting dagger's health siphon value, or poisoning enemies lowering their damage on you if you slot putrid defense.

Death Shroud (along with core necro) is in a very bad shape, that too, though i could select only one option, so i chose utility.

Null.If I could advise ANet directly, I would state that nothing should be done; To leave the class alone.

Opinion: Many of the design decisions since the 'Heart Of Thorns' expansion resulted in varied forms of the class' efficacy(?) -- Most alterations could be claimed as small or even restrained, yet others such as the entire Elite Skill('Plague') being deleted, the re-redesigning of 'Epidemic', or even the Developer's seeming ambivalent P.O.V. of 'Dhuumfire' could be considered volatile to the Necromancer class entire.

Sometimes, the best way to fix something is to do nothing; Maybe it's time for ANet to allow the player base to use what's been given and let the class evolve from there.

@"The Bassist.5410" said:Sometimes, the best way to fix something is to do nothing; Maybe it's time for ANet to allow the player base to use what's been given and let the class evolve from there.

I'm very curious on how you expect the profession to "evolve" if no changes are involved.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"The Bassist.5410" said:Sometimes, the best way to fix something is to do nothing; Maybe it's time for ANet to allow the player base to use what's been given and let the class evolve from there.

I'm very curious on how you expect the profession to "evolve" if no changes are involved.

Simple: Let player's personal knowledge and skill in the class dictate it's overall function/utility in the game. There are many examples suggesting this idea is possible, however I'm beginning to suspect that a large portion of Necro. players are simply waiting around for the next inevitable 'balance' patch to indicate/confirm the 'when' a player should re-adjust their play style. If this is the case, it's to a fault, not a benefit.

@XECOR.2814 said:

@NecroSummonsMors.7816 said:I cant choose one, because necromancer has underperforming traits, skill and utilities. Also damage coefficient on certain skill and healing coef/scaling on others. Plus the lack of mobility, scaling defences and stab. So I would just say everything that need a rework XD

Then what do you think is the biggest offender?? Give priority and choose. This may help send our message across.

People are asking for changes on many things since launch. If the message hasn't reached out yet, it never will...

@The Bassist.5410 said:

@The Bassist.5410 said:Sometimes, the best way to fix something is to do nothing; Maybe it's time for ANet to allow the player base to use what's been given and let the class evolve from there.

Simple: Let player's personal knowledge and skill in the class dictate it's overall function/utility in the game. There are many examples suggesting this idea is possible, however I'm beginning to suspect that a large portion of Necro. players are simply waiting around for the next inevitable 'balance' patch to indicate/confirm the 'when' a player should re-adjust their play style. If this is the case, it's to a fault, not a benefit.

I think you're mistaken somewhere. Every body, every profession adapt their gameplay after each patch. That's why for example, we got elementalists currently nuking zergs in WvW. The issue of the necromancer has never been that their player refused to adapt, it's just that everybody have basically tried every option possible and now know, after 6 year of playing the game, what the limitations of the profession are.

The necromancer's community is not waiting for patch "jesus" or anything else. The necromancer's community is at a point that they know that they are out of option. They know that their tools are mainly usefull to counter other players and that PvE mobs don't even give a shit of those tools. They know that they are the only profession that is punished for taking some traits. They know that they are the only profession that have to take the hits with their health point making them considerably weaker against crow control abilities. They know that their whole dps potential is gated due to a fabled high survivability...

The necromancer's community is relatively well aware of what a necromancer can and can't do. Room for evolution in play-style? There is none because if the necromancer is aware of it's limit, the same goes for other professions. Other professions are well aware of the limits of the necromancer and generally exploit them fully.

ATM, the necromancer have some freedom of choice for play style in PvP and WvW but anyway, the fact that the necromancer is loaded with boon corruption make the profession meta in those 2 gamemodes and this is nothing new. Is there room for evolution? I wouldn't say so, however, there is enough build flexibility in these 2 gamemode for the necromancer to be at ease. Open world PvE? Anything goes there, so there is nothing to "evolve". End game PvE? That's where it hurt the most. However you put it, however you try to modify/evolve your gameplay, the necromancer just don't have the tools necessary for him to be competitive there. And what irk the players the most is that have been the case for 6 whole years (outside of the 2 shinning periode where the necromancer ressorted to exploit fully skills quickly deemed imbalanced by anet.)

The necromancer's community is at a point where the necromancer players are tired of always asking the same thing to anet. In fact the reason the necromancer players alaways ask the same thing is that they want to evolve their play-style but don't have the tools necessary for that. Necromancer players would love to be something else that the eternal WvW boon corruptor but, sadly, as time pass and with each new "shinny" things for the necromancer, it's always this "role" that is strengthened.

New playtstyle? I was already sick of putting aoe of corruption on top of enemies zergs 6 month after GW2 release. Do I know how to use the core necromancer to burst down another player? Sure I know, I've done that before but it die even faster than a glass elementalist. Do I know how to walk in an ennemy zerg and stay virtually immortal in it? Yeah I do, but this doesn't mean that I do anything else than surviving under their warm greeting. Is all of those builds relevant in PvE or PvP... Well no. Do I know how to play power reaper? Yeah I do. Do I know how to play condi reaper? Sure, I love it. Do I know how to exploit blood magic? Yeah. Do I know how to minionmaster? Well yeah. Do I know how to use a "vampire" build? Yep, I do... etc.

I'm just a casual player and I can say that I tried almost any thing possible with the necromancer. Yet I can say one thing, the necromancer is not in any way a profession that can shine outside of it's niche due to it's limitations. There is no further room for evolution without great change for the profession as a whole.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@The Bassist.5410 said:Sometimes, the best way to fix something is to do nothing; Maybe it's time for ANet to allow the player base to use what's been given and let the class evolve from there.

I think you're mistaken somewhere. Every body, every profession adapt their gameplay after each patch. That's why for example, we got elementalists currently nuking zergs in WvW. The issue of the necromancer has never been that their player refused to adapt, it's just that everybody have basically tried every option possible and now know, after 6 year of playing the game, what the limitations of the profession are.

The necromancer's community is not waiting for patch "jesus" or anything else. The necromancer's community is at a point that they know that they are out of option. They know that their tools are mainly usefull to counter other players and that PvE mobs don't even give a kitten of those tools. They know that they are the only profession that is punished for taking some traits. They know that they are the only profession that have to take the hits with their health point making them considerably weaker against crow control abilities. They know that their whole dps potential is gated due to a fabled high survivability...

The necromancer's community is relatively well aware of what a necromancer can and can't do. Room for evolution in play-style? There is none because if the necromancer is aware of it's limit, the same goes for other professions. Other professions are well aware of the limits of the necromancer and generally exploit them fully.

ATM, the necromancer have some freedom of choice for play style in PvP and WvW but anyway, the fact that the necromancer is loaded with boon corruption make the profession meta in those 2 gamemodes and this is nothing new. Is there room for evolution? I wouldn't say so, however, there is enough build flexibility in these 2 gamemode for the necromancer to be at ease. Open world PvE? Anything goes there, so there is nothing to "evolve". End game PvE? That's where it hurt the most. However you put it, however you try to modify/evolve your gameplay, the necromancer just don't have the tools necessary for him to be competitive there. And what irk the players the most is that have been the case for 6 whole years (outside of the 2 shinning periode where the necromancer ressorted to exploit fully skills quickly deemed imbalanced by anet.)

The necromancer's community is at a point where the necromancer players are tired of always asking the same thing to anet. In fact the reason the necromancer players alaways ask the same thing is that they want to evolve their play-style but don't have the tools necessary for that. Necromancer players would love to be something else that the eternal WvW boon corruptor but, sadly, as time pass and with each new "shinny" things for the necromancer, it's always this "role" that is strengthened.

New playtstyle? I was already sick of putting aoe of corruption on top of enemies zergs 6 month after GW2 release. Do I know how to use the core necromancer to burst down another player? Sure I know, I've done that before but it die even faster than a glass elementalist. Do I know how to walk in an ennemy zerg and stay virtually immortal in it? Yeah I do, but this doesn't mean that I do anything else than surviving under their warm greeting. Is all of those builds relevant in PvE or PvP... Well no. Do I know how to play power reaper? Yeah I do. Do I know how to play condi reaper? Sure, I love it. Do I know how to exploit blood magic? Yeah. Do I know how to minionmaster? Well yeah. Do I know how to use a "vampire" build? Yep, I do... etc.

I'm just a casual player and I can say that I tried almost any thing possible with the necromancer. Yet I can say one thing, the necromancer is not in any way a profession that can shine outside of it's niche due to it's limitations. There is no further room for evolution without great change for the profession as a whole.

Fact: When I first joined this game and played the Necromancer class I was very bad at it. A year later, I have multiple builds of the same class supported by different types of gear sets. Areas of the game I couldn't solo, I now can; Late game content, in particular the Fractals, I could play and enjoy. And thanks to class/build experimentation, I know which synergies are viable in which game modes, and which build types to ignore. Thus, from at least one player's perspective: Mine, the Necromancer had 'evolved'.

But, I'm thinking your arguing upon the subject of 'Class Longevity', am I right? I mean Guild Wars 2 is a M.M.O and not a single player game where multi-playthroughs could be re-explored in smaller ways? To which you would have a point, ofcourse. Still, I would rather ANet assist me, the player, to 'evolve' my character with content -- challenges, new gear, enemy variants, etc. are a good way to encourage play style re-configuring -- instead of class 'updates'.

THis is the major flaw i see in the design of the spec, there are some examples

• Dhumfire in every shade skill, why? why not just Dhuumfire in sand shroud, the unique skill with offensive use. Why not proc Dhuumfire with every pulse of sand shroud?
  • Life from death and transfusion, why they are conected with a cc skill like garish pillar? its a control skill i dont want it to support, these traits make better sinergy with sand cascade or nefarious favor.
  • There are some good designs, path of corruption with nefarious favor, excelent condition management, i dont even think this was planned by the developers, just by coincidence, nefarios favor was the shroud skill 2.
  • Unyieldng blast, why it is in manifest sand shade? why not better proc with every pulse of sand shroud? whats the use of 2 stacks of vulnerability?
  • Reapers might, what is the use of a single stack of might in manifest sand shade?

The problem is see is that shade skills are conected to traits that doesnt give them any utility, if per example im in bloood spec and i see a partner which needs healing and in other side i see an enemy which i want to fear, what do i do? i mean, i use garish pillar to fear my oponent but also garish pillar will heal because life from death, but my ally which needs healing is not near the shade which feared my enemy. The point is, i just want garish pillar to control my enemy, NO MORE, so life from death is just wasted.

It is the same with all the ofensive traits conected to shroud skill 1, why do i want a miserable stack of might or a single stack of burning or whatever into manifest sand shroud? why not put them in the ONLY offensive shade skill which is sand shroud?

What do i want? i want all offensive traits to be conected to ofensive shade skills, all defensive traits conected to defensive shade skills. Also, why the hell the huge barrier in sand shroud? i want to do damage, if i want barrier then buff sand cascade.

idk. cant really decide. added some rng by letting my cat chose.

switched to scrapper meanwhile, because it plays similar-ish to a reaper pre pof... with less deeps but a lot more group sustain, gimmicks and useful tricks. feels good in wvw, therefore atleast one gamemode i do enjoy again.

I voted weapons.

Surprisingly after 5 years they actually did speed up the channel times.

It would be a gream in 2015, but in nowadays guildwars you just need more creeped stuff, and since nobody else has to deal with cast time to land crucial combos, i vote for more clunk reduction.

@"The Bassist.5410" said:But, I'm thinking your arguing upon the subject of 'Class Longevity', am I right? I mean Guild Wars 2 is a M.M.O and not a single player game where multi-playthroughs could be re-explored in smaller ways? To which you would have a point, ofcourse. Still, I would rather ANet assist me, the player, to 'evolve' my character with content -- challenges, new gear, enemy variants, etc. are a good way to encourage play style re-configuring -- instead of class 'updates'.

Indeed, you are right, this isn't a single player game, this is a mmo. What you say remind me of arcanum with it's different path to magic, it's different path to technology and it's ability to mix magic and technology. Sur this game allow one to try countless combination and change it's playstyle according to it's choice. However, in a mmo, this is indeed quite different.

As for what you suggest that anet should do, it's already what they do alongside balance change. New gear, ennemy variant, challenge... all of these are implemented regularly, however it doesn't allow evolution into a profession that can't break throught it's tight limitations.

To be honest, anet tried more than enough to adapt the content to the necromancer. When the game was launched, the PvE end game was way worse for a necromancer. Everything that was needed, the necromancer didn't have and now, all of those things that were needed anet made them non needed. Did it help to evolve the gameplay? Nope, it only help to confirm the gameplay and impoverish the game as a whole.

Having combos effects replaced by traits doing the job better helped tremendously the necromancer but also made the game more rigid and "simpler". Having a game more rigid reducing the usefullness of mobility also helped the necromancer a lot, yet it made a lot of skills and effects irrelevant, making some professions specialized into these effect irrelevant as well. Giving more health to the foes also helped the necromancer and it's slow ramping up in damage, yet in the end all it show is that whether the health pool of enemies is large or low, the necromancer is way behind other in dps. Giving boons to new foes also helped the necromancer, however, to keep the game playable for all professions these boons are not an essential part of the game and in the end other professions can deal with them just right.

The necromancer design is way to rigid and far away from other's profession's design to be able to compete with those professions. The necromancer is a stand alone niche profession that exist for it's niche use and can only exist in the limits of it's niche use. There is no room for evolution if the profession can't break free from it's niche. However you put it, new challenge, new gear, new enemies, if this does not support the necromancer's niche, it doesn't do anything for the profession. It's like giving a stick to someone whose arms are tightly bound to their body and ask him to use the stick to use the stick to touch something which is 2 meter above it's head. If the stick is long enough he might touch the target, however, a person without it's arm bound will do it more efficiently and even reach higher. Give concentration to a necromancer and he won't do anything good with it. Give concentration to a mesmer and he will exploit it amazingly. Give expertise to any profession and they will all be able to take advantage of it.

There are lots of things, For me, I got a beef with the following

1. LF (on Core and Reaper) isn't just drained with time, it's a health pool as well; that makes it rather useless in high damage situations. That double dipping is further affected by a cooldown on F1.
  2. There are also some traits that ONLY affect shroud ... so those traits are wasted when you aren't in shroud.
  3. Shroud (on Core and Reaper) acts like a completely separate build with it's fixed skills that you can hardly affect or plan around. You can try to ignore it, but because there are some useful things buried in it, you have to move to this sub-standard state to use them.

Bottomline: The shroud feels like it was designed to be some kind of very temp (10-15 seconds?), high powered set of skills ... Anet only got the 'very temp' part right.

Obviously traits.

• One 100% useless traitline (DM) is not acceptable

• A trait system that increases damage mainly via vulnerability and might generation, but not damage multipliers is not acceptable. (The 1st reason why neco lacks dps)

• A trait system that grants damage multipliers only via condis that have a tiny uptime on target (chill, fear) is not acceptable. (The 2nd reason why necro lacks dps)

• A trait system that contains multiple conflicting dps increasing traits (Awaken the Pain vs. Dread, Death Perception vs. Dhuumfire, Sould Eater vs. Decimate Defenses) is not acceptable. (The 3rd reason why necro lacks dps)

So much about PvE...

In PvP the class is balanced. It's other specs that need to be looked at. In general the game has too much mobility power creep on certain classes. Decrease that and the game is more fun to play and rewarding for everyone.

When the game was launched, the end game was awful for necromancer.

Everybody remembers that you couldn’t get a spot in a dungeon group, & had to be carried to do Lupicus. But it was far worse than that.

Necromancer didn’t have enough power damage to get “Gold” event completion on most group events (and condition damage had caps). Damage on all weapons was low and dagger was single target.

I remember using my berserker armor, and using all of my wells (but not dagger) and still occasionally failing to get “bronze” event completion (and rewards) on old Tequatl (who died fast).

Ante fixed this by lowering standards for event completion / tagging, not by making necromancer non epidemic damage competitive.

@nekretaal.6485 said:When the game was launched, the end game was awful for necromancer.

Everybody remembers that you couldn’t get a spot in a dungeon group, & had to be carried to do Lupicus. But it was far worse than that.

Necromancer didn’t have enough power damage to get “Gold” event completion on most group events (and condition damage had caps). Damage on all weapons was low and dagger was single target.

I remember using my berserker armor, and using all of my wells (but not dagger) and still occasionally failing to get “bronze” event completion (and rewards) on old Tequatl (who died fast).

Ante fixed this by lowering standards for event completion / tagging, not by making necromancer non epidemic damage competitive.

While I agree for dungeons (it was truly inadapted for necromancers), I must admit that I never had your issue in Open world events and I was on a server where boss were actively farmed in a WvW zerg like fashion (commanders and sheeps ;) ). Or maybe I don't remember accurately.

I'm going to say other because it's kind of a solid mix of things...I really want to see an elite spec that REALLY gives minions some love. Of course it'll be a nightmare to balance between PvE and competitive gamemodes, but I really want to run around with a genuine minion master. Something akin to the ritualist spirit spammer of GW1 that was notoriously OP for clearing PvE content. Right now I use reaper still. But I'd just really love to see more love to minions. They're just so amazing. They're the reason I choose necromancer over other classes.

Buff core class. Its fucking weak in every aspect. Slow as fuck and does zero dmg. Its funny. You take core Guard,war,Thief And you can compete at high lvl endgame in Both PVP/wvw And PvE. While necro is weak as fuck. With lowest synergy in everything BUT we have 2 healthbars... lot of useless traits, chaneling even autoattacks in game where you can Burst enemies in a second haha balance team have IQ of wooden horse (all together) or they Are just trolls(B Is right). Worst defence, marks and fears(walls or from skills) Are easy ignored(esspecialy Mesmer And Warrior) cuz other specs got some love. We got only 2 strong e-spec traitlines but core class Is total Lord Faren like...not to Fun to play And dumb to play against....DS4 4k dmg while 3sec chaneling on 40sec CD ????? while Deadeye kill you with uncommon rifle And equip cuz he have a dmg And you never catch him? yes balance im done...

Buff fucking core a lot

I would really like a Death Magic change. DM has a solid theme but it does not execute on its promise. Add real group support to DM and Reaper might be able to tank a little, Scourge's barriers could offer more sustain for the dps loss, and core might have value, too.

When Blood Magic was rewirkrd, I was only half satisfied. It was a great rework; especially for how bad it was, then. Death Magic at least had minion support. Now, we can all see past the euphoria of a terri-bad trait line fix to the next most needy line and that is Death Magic.

Death Magic is selfish. That old design theme is definitely looking decrepit.

LF and Shroud need overhauled. It's too unpredictable thanks to the nearby deaths mechanic to ever balance. Strip that ugly llama giblet out of the game and then rebalance shroud and LF generation.

The class needs a mobility weapon choice. I suggest dagger, since it's not very good as it is.

The class needs it's support options looked at. Blood is good concept but weak, wells are good but other classes do it better, and scourge as implemented is not support no matter what Anet wants to imagine. This could be fixed by a new elite spec or by overhauling one of the existing things. IMO a spec that sacrifices it's own health (and presumably leeches it back) to heal or res downed allies would be fun as heck.

Archived