Chalice of Tears, what joy

After having rejoined lately and having had a lot of fun, I started the legendary trinket collection... till I got to Chalice of Tears today. I thought having done that piece of klunky design nightmare would have been enough, but hey, I am a good sport. Halfway through, which was hellish enough, DCed, checkpoints gone. I don´t know why you ever designed that JP, it is trial and error, or rather watch Dulfy and try, and a continous fight with terrain textures. If that is your idea of difficult, I don´t know... At the moment, I am pretty close to uninstall the game again, how can any designer so willfully aim to frustrate players? But it is late at night and I give it a week to cool off. But man, think twice next time you want to connect newer interesting stuff to old BS like that :/

I give GW2 a lot of shit for poor design decisions but Chalice of Tears isn’t one of them. This is actually a real challenge to complete and I thought it was a lot of fun even if it was frustrating.

Just find a mesmer to port you up if you don’t like the JP. Or do it on a mesmer so making a mistake is much more forgiving. Go with a mesmer friend even and team jump it?

@"Sinful.2165" said:I give GW2 a lot of kitten for poor design decisions but Chalice of Tears isn’t one of them. This is actually a real challenge to complete and I thought it was a lot of fun even if it was frustrating.

Just find a mesmer to port you up if you don’t like the JP. Or do it on a mesmer so making a mistake is much more forgiving. Go with a mesmer friend even and team jump it?

I completed it once, that´s ok and it was somewhat satisfying. Being forced to redo such things by later collection additions, not so much.

I´d argue a jp where the major challenge is no indicator of general direction and glitching off klunky textures, not to mention getting stuck in terrain at times without even having a chance to get back to the checkpoint for lack of a /death command, is poorly designed. Did you find the way yourself or did you have to rely on a video? Basically being forced to bring the personal quick save class because the next step has to be found out by failing repeatedly is not what I call a reasonable challenge, that is really stuff best left behind in the insert coin era. I am even not even of the "no jp in mmorpg!" crowd, I enjoyed finishing all jp achievements, even the infamous "not so secret", goggles included.

While I enjoyed most of the JPs in GW2, Chalice of Tears and the other thingy in Draconis Mons were just plain bad imho. Where the other JPs had at least some sort of hint where to go next, those 2 (and perhaps Retrospective Runaround which I completed several times) have parts where they just leave you hanging. You look hither and thither, then decide to go into one direction and kitten up half an hour of work just to rinse and repeat. But not because you were not able to make the jumps in this JUMPing puzzle, but because you didn't guess right. Perhaps Guessing Puzzle would be the more appropriate term for those 2? =)

And don't get me started on pixel accuracy while jumping blindly around the corner.

Yet, I learned there is always hope in the shape of a purple butterfly ;)

I spent 2 hours for first time and like 30 minutes for this collection item after two weeks. That was hard and fun. I prefer such challenges rather than stupid farm and time gated content. GW2 needs more things like this!

Be aware Aurora requires that puzzle not once but twice. Once to unlock the collection via tokens and once to get the chest.

A couple friends went with me and we were all on mesmer. No tears! I have no regrets at all for not trying on a char by myself.

@"Etria.3642" said:Be aware Aurora requires that puzzle not once but twice. Once to unlock the collection via tokens and once to get the chest.

More like 3 times...maybe 2 1/2. If you don't have a mesmer, one of the tokens is in a "point of no return" halfway through.

I'll admit, going blind would be a nightmare. There is no clear direction in a lot of place, and a lot of areas you can get to that go nowhere. That cavern is so complex there are too many nooks and crannies for trial and error. You'd spend days there. But I used a video walkthrough, and while it was tough, with the checkpoint system, in the end it wasn't too horrible. Not as bad as I've been lead to believe.

And I'll agree GW2 has some BS terrain that you can never be sure where you can get your footing, but for Chalice of Tears there were only one or two locations that I felt qualified. A lot of spots were very forgiving, IMO.

God that jp, close to 2 hours the first time (on a mesmer and dulfy guide which I had to tab out to since no 2nd monitor).

Subsequent runs get a ton easier though once you know which parts are tricky and the jumps.

I get that it frustrates people, it did for me too (luckily I enjoy jumping puzzles) but it is rather well designed. It's length does make it a nightmare when facing a d/c unfortunately.

EDIT: oh and kudos to the name, it fits perfectly. I love it ^^

I finished that like... 5 times by now. First was when the map got released. many people where doing it. So you kinda see where you have to go. Second and third time for Aurora trinket. I had a dc once here. (That is painful tho. I'll give you that). Another time when i helped a friend. Last being past Saturday for the shetz and giggles. Without any guidance or help from other players. However my approach was to try to memorize the path.

That being said i actually think ANet should make more this kind of JP's / overhaul the already excising ones. As the name suggests, its a puzzle. You SUPPOSE to try to find your way out. GW2 kinda falls short on this content. As 99% of these puzzles are VERY obvious. To the point where its not fun or challenging. You just do them for the ap or explore that particular area of the map, and never go again...

@"Pifil.5193" said:If it really causes you a lot of pain then I'd recommend you install TaCO and Tekkit's marker pack for the Chalice of Tears. It made my third go through (for the Aurora collection) a breeze.

http://www.gw2taco.com/http://www.tekkitsworkshop.net/index.php/gw2-taco/download

oh, thanks a lot, I had taco installed, but never really gotten into it. Guess it is a good time to do just that :)

@Hesacon.8735 said:

@Etria.3642 said:Be aware Aurora requires that puzzle not once but twice. Once to unlock the collection via tokens and once to get the chest.

A couple friends went with me and we were all on mesmer. No tears! I have no regrets at all for not trying on a char by myself.

I completed it once and got Aurora.

I guess technically for the tokens you do not have to open the chest to 'complete' it. But one of the tokens is so near the end you might as well.

@"Pifil.5193" said:If it really causes you a lot of pain then I'd recommend you install TaCO and Tekkit's marker pack for the Chalice of Tears. It made my third go through (for the Aurora collection) a breeze.

http://www.gw2taco.com/http://www.tekkitsworkshop.net/index.php/gw2-taco/downloadIt looks like arena.net fixed some pixel hunting places. It is even more easy now.

Archived