So about new races...

Magek.4718

@Rognik.2579 said:

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:Skritt sort of have a major city, them and Hykek are the ones with an area full of crafting stations at the very least.

True, the skritt have Skrittsburg and the hylek have the village in Sparkfly Fen (I think), but both of these settlements are under siege in a way that prevents stabilisation. In the case of the skritt, it's their king getting attacked. I think it's generally the Inquest behind it. As for the hylek, they are under near-constant Risen assault. I believe the hylek village's waypoint even becomes contested often, while Skrittsburg only has waypoints by the three entrances.

It does show they're capable of building a city though, I think it'd either take some major living world movement or a change on how they do expansions. Kind of a return to how they were done in the 1st game where the new races would get an entirely new starting area and personal story on a different continent. Which would be a lot of work.

As an aside though I do think that Canthan Skritt would work if they took inspiration from legend of the five rings' Nezumi.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, if we were to get a new race you have to imagine all the armor stretching-injustice catastrophe that was done to the Charr and Asura.But I'd be all down for Tengu or a new race of Quaggan (shark-like, or narwhal-like) that focuses on battle and warfare at some point.I really miss the personal armors for classes- I feel like they would have had an easier time transitioning armor skins with the GW1 armor idea -Mesmer armor was not seen on Elementalists, Warrior armor was not seen on Paladins, it was unique to them basically.They should have expanded more on cultural armors for each race and specialized class - keeping it specific. (no like like 80 different sets but at least up to tier 5)

Basically, why do fantasy races always have to be walking stereotypes of their own nation's culture?Because it helps keep things in order, aside from the rise of the Gary Sue and Mary Sue cringe fests that arise from time to time. Also it's a cultural thing, when you break away from deeply rooted culture it can create chaos that interferes with the fantasy lore of said race/peoples whether it's good or bad.

@Rognik.2579 said:

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:Skritt sort of have a major city, them and Hykek are the ones with an area full of crafting stations at the very least.

True, the skritt have Skrittsburg and the hylek have the village in Sparkfly Fen (I think), but both of these settlements are under siege in a way that prevents stabilisation. In the case of the skritt, it's their king getting attacked. I think it's generally the Inquest behind it. As for the hylek, they are under near-constant Risen assault. I believe the hylek village's waypoint even becomes contested often, while Skrittsburg only has waypoints by the three entrances.

Dude, I actually never knew the Skritt city was called Skrittsburg.

That's actually adorable

@Magek.4718 said:

Dude, I actually never knew the Skritt city was called Skrittsburg.

That's actually adorable

It's got region sub names as well:Skrittsburg CenterSkrittsburg East EndSkrittsburg HillsteadSkrittsburg Tunnels

Skrittsburg is THE place to be if you are a young trendy skrittling.

@"Moonyeti.3296" said:Skrittsburg is THE place to be if you are a young trendy skrittling.Actually, a young skritt is called a "kit". They don't show up often, but they exist. Unless you were referring to a different stage of a skritt's life.

I'm pretty sure the hylek village has a name, too, but I'm blanking on it.

@Rognik.2579 said:

@"Moonyeti.3296" said:Skrittsburg is THE place to be if you are a young trendy skrittling.Actually, a young skritt is called a "kit". They don't show up often, but they exist. Unless you were referring to a different stage of a skritt's life.

I'm pretty sure the hylek village has a name, too, but I'm blanking on it.

Kits are children, I think the guy was referring to what we'd call teens or young adults. Not sure what Skritt would call them.

@Magek.4718 said:Alright, let me tell you something, son.

The Quaggan are everything that is good with the world. They are the hope of the universe. They are the light in the darkness. They are the blanket for all kittens that cry out in fear.

They are ally to good, nightmare to you.

This! You get me.

I would love playable Quaggans! I have zero belief it'll happen, but I'd love it.

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:Kits are children, I think the guy was referring to what we'd call teens or young adults. Not sure what Skritt would call them.Like most races, a skritt is a kit until he is an adult. The concept of a teenager is a pretty modern one, while a young adult is any newly-turned adult. Similarly, charr are cubs until they leave the fahrar and the asura are progeny until they graduate (or later, if Taimi graduated early). Just the way life was back in the day.

@Rognik.2579 said:

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:Kits are children, I think the guy was referring to what we'd call teens or young adults. Not sure what Skritt would call them.Like most races, a skritt is a kit until he is an adult. The concept of a teenager is a pretty modern one, while a young adult is any newly-turned adult. Similarly, charr are cubs until they leave the fahrar and the asura are progeny until they graduate (or later, if Taimi graduated early). Just the way life was back in the day.

I'd hesitate to apply those rules to a setting as anachronistic as GW2, and if you're talking about olden times it was actually the opposite because of short lifespans, adulthood was considered to be in the teens. 14-16 range a lot of the time. The intermediary came about when people started to live longer.

reason why you will probably never see another playable race is money. y they would have to retro go back and add the voice acting to all the other expansions, and living world content. this would be very expensive all in one shot. unless the voice of these new characters is Bob the bag-boy from the local supermarket.

@Ardid.7203 said:IMO if they add a new Race, they would make it so it has its own story and then connect to the rest from here on, not to old content.

Yeah but they're obviously not going to start doing LWS with 2 different storylines so they will have to connect somehow. There's all manner of problems with this. How do you connect this character of a new race to all existing characters and key players of the world? How does your new(let's say...) Tengu character know Queen Jennah personally? If you don't do it, you're limiting the scope of the stories you can tell from that moment on as you can't lean on previously established characters. Unless there's a point in the story where the Commander actually dies, or retires, and is replaced by someone new. That's not really something you can do in games though.

I still don't see why they couldn't do a Tengu arc for Personal Story. There are several Tengu in the Pact, the commander could easily be another one that left. The first two arcs could take place in the Dominion starter area, the third could take place outside, as you discover a threat to the Tengu and solicit help from the Orders to stop it, and decide that fighting is better than hiding.

I mean, I can see why they wouldn't want to invest the resources (especially redoing VA for so many PS steps and old LS content), I just don't why it's narratively impossible to make a Tengu commander canonical from the beginning.

@perilisk.1874 said:I still don't see why they couldn't do a Tengu arc for Personal Story. There are several Tengu in the Pact, the commander could easily be another one that left. The first two arcs could take place in the Dominion starter area, the third could take place outside, as you discover a threat to the Tengu and solicit help from the Orders to stop it, and decide that fighting is better than hiding.

They'd have to write a whole new set of chapters 1 and 2 (racial 1 and racial 2 - eg human noble/commoner/street-rat and human sister/parents/circus), obviously, and it's pretty much essential to do the same for chapter 3 (meet the orders and join one). The opening of chapter 4 would be a bit strange, though - since there is one member of Destiny's Edge for each of the existing playable races and there aren't any others, how do they structure the meeting with DE in Lion's Arch? (Yes, I know, the problem can be solved, but that doesn't stop it from being a problem.)

I mean, I can see why they wouldn't want to invest the resources (especially redoing VA for so many PS steps and old LS content), I just don't why it's narratively impossible to make a Tengu commander canonical from the beginning.

It isn't (aside possibly for the exact structure of that Chapter 4 mission) narratively impossible to add Tengu. Largos would be more difficult, but there are still ways they could finagle it, maybe. It all comes down, in the end, to questions of choosing what to spend time and money on. Is it better to spend it on new stories for everyone and new places to go, or is it better to spend it on new spins of the old content that also raise the cost of producing new content in the future?

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:The opening of chapter 4 would be a bit strange, though - since there is one member of Destiny's Edge for each of the existing playable races and there aren't any others, how do they structure the meeting with DE in Lion's Arch? (Yes, I know, the problem can be solved, but that doesn't stop it from being a problem.)

Skip that instance. The only reason to have it is to transition into the dungeon storyline via the established connection to one of that storyline's main players. Without a member of DE, there's no purpose to going through that scene.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:The opening of chapter 4 would be a bit strange, though - since there is one member of Destiny's Edge for each of the existing playable races and there aren't any others, how do they structure the meeting with DE in Lion's Arch? (Yes, I know, the problem can be solved, but that doesn't stop it from being a problem.)

Skip that instance. The only reason to
have
it is to transition into the dungeon storyline via the established connection to one of that storyline's main players. Without a member of DE, there's no purpose to going through that scene.

Losing that scene wouldn't be a big deal anyway.

I always wondered what was the point of introducing DE because if you don't do the dungeons, they're literally absent for the entirety of story and then suddenly they show up for Zhaitan and act like you know them.

They're tbh the most pointless and underutilized characters in the game. Like, why am I expected to care about these guys save for the one who was present for the racial story?

Another possibility is that the player could just unlock a new race as a "hero race" that is able to skip through old content. So if you pick a Tengu, then you can't play old Tyrian content, only HoT+ content. But the tengu could be given their own racial storyline that builds into new expansion content or feeds into just Open World PvE stuff for Old Tyria.

@Magek.4718 said:I always wondered what was the point of introducing DE because if you don't do the dungeons, they're literally absent for the entirety of story and then suddenly they show up for Zhaitan and act like you know them.That's because the dungeon story mode is supposed to be the B plot to your Personal Story A plot. They happen simultaneously, but were designed to be done as you level and explore, hence why Miss Stalker Herald tells you about them as you level up.

• 1 month later...

@Rognik.2579 said:

@Magek.4718 said:I always wondered what was the point of introducing DE because if you don't do the dungeons, they're literally absent for the entirety of story and then suddenly they show up for Zhaitan and act like you know them.That's because the dungeon story mode is supposed to be the B plot to your Personal Story A plot. They happen simultaneously, but were designed to be done as you level and explore, hence why Miss Stalker Herald tells you about them as you level up.

Thing is though, if you don't do the dungeons, they show up once and then show up one more time for the final battle.

It's the most awkward way of handling a group of characters that we're told from the start are very important. In a way, it makes them the most underutilized and even worthless characters in the game.

Archived