August 28 Ranger patch notes

Dragana.1497

@Xenash.1245 said:

@Sai Locke.7193 said:Is that what is upsetting you guys? the nerf to WI ? I would be more upset that Elementalist is basically getting a free Ranger Grandmaster Trait.

Meh dat Crippling Talon aftercast though.

I think it's a combination of those things which are annoying people. We're looking at the Elementalist changes and then the Ranger changes, and as I think someone already said, it just seems like a giant middle finger pointed towards us.

The Reaper-buffs are well deserved tbh.

But yeah, Ranger simply just got nerfed. Don't know if nerfing WI is that much of an impact in PvE (I mostly just play PvE), but the dagger-buff is stupid and doesn't do anything. What they should have done to buff dagger is buffing bleeding-stacks/duration instead of buffing the useless power-component. As it is now, SB³ is probably still stronger which is just stupid game design. They also should have added some utility into dagger-skills.

@Krispera.5087 said:

@Sai Locke.7193 said:Also if you want to throw more salt to the mixture take a look at the new Guardian Staff skills.... then go look at the Druid Staff skills... the healing and damage modifiers as well then remember this is core vs an elite specialization.

IKR !?

Holy Strike (new Guardian Staff 2) have the same healing as Astral Wisp, but it heals by pulses, doesn't need a target, is a 240 radius AoE, has 1200 range and is a Blast finisher. Also, add Empower and Bow of Truth buff.

Astral Wisp needs a target, is a projectile, only heal around a 120 radius IF it hits an ally.

At this point, even a DH is a more efficient healer than Ranger, just based on easiness of healing and access to MANY various skills and traits that heals. The only way a Druid can heal outside of CA is Staff 3 and/or blast with Staff 5. Staff 1 and 2 both need targets. Staff 4 is lul.

To be honest, Druid shouldn't be the best healer in game as Druid has access to ridiculously strong unique buffs by having spirits and druid also has other strong utilities like Entangle. Druid is probably fine as it is. It doesn't matter in that regard that Guardian is core and Druid is an elite.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Raizel.8715 Druid is not the strongest "healer" in the game.... you should look that up. It is not even the best "support" in the game. It is the best offensive booner in pve I will give you that. It has really poor options when it comes to actually supporting allies in pvp or wvw. Look at the options it has to cleanse conditions from allies in those game modes vs say elementalist, guardian, engineer..... even necromancer?..... It was supposed to be a support oriented elite specialization... the first of it's kind. It doesn't do any real support except in pve ( arguably less than 1/3 of the game) and it is basically offensive boon push. Don't get me wrong I am glad it has this option but there is more to this game than fractals and raids and outside of that people will laugh at you if you say druid support. I would like to see it shine as a support in those other areas or have options to do so like the other guys.

@Raizel.8175 said:To be honest, Druid shouldn't be the best healer in game as Druid has access to ridiculously strong unique buffs by having spirits and druid also has other strong utilities like Entangle. Druid is probably fine as it is. It doesn't matter in that regard that Guardian is core and Druid is an elite.

It's already not the best healer of the game for ages. The only thing holding Druid in its position are Spirits. Might can be provided by multitude of professions, so it's really the only thing. Spirits can be provided by other DPS Rangers.

Dude, Entangle ? It's something so easily removable with a condi clear or by just hitting it (Also, 20 secs cooldown). It's not like Guardian can't Immobilize with their skills and traits. It's hardly an argument.

Druid being an Elite spec matters even more, since it's purely a Support spec, so it should be stronger than Core specs. I'm glad other professions can be good healers too, it gives diversity, don't get me wrong. The problem is that beside being a buff/healing bot in Raids/Fractals, Druid is nothing. Realize the difference of easiness between Holy Strike vs Astral Wisp.

@Prophet.1584 said:condi SlB will edge out power for raids and fractals with these changes

@"jcbroe.4329" Thief has been a lot of fun again and ele looks like it might be interesting to play with these latest changes and a small damage buff.

Yeah but what's the point? I only enjoyed PvP as a Ranger and that enjoyment was lost long before today, to the point where last PvP season was the first season I didn't play. And with no meta changes and no reason to play competitively, why bother?

I'll probably just do what I've been doing and login for a few WvW raids a month on my Minstrels FB once the other games I want to play get stale.

To be fair, I don't think that "ANet ruined my class" with this patch (that was Druid a few patches ago), I just find the current metagame exhausting and ANet didn't do anything to change it while taking away infrastructure in gamemodes that kept me playing.

@Prophet.1584 said:condi SlB will edge out power for raids and fractals with these changes

@jcbroe.4329 Thief has been a lot of fun again and ele looks like it might be interesting to play with these latest changes and a small damage buff.

No, it will not. I don't think the nerf to WI will make that much of an impact to Power-SlB DPS. That build will still shine due to phasing and its bursty potential. Condi-SlB will stay weak since they didn't really buff anything and Condi-builds in this game only truly shine in niche-scenarios. The patch notes read like they only buffed the power-component of the last auto-attack-chain on dagger. That isn't helpful though since dagger-mainhand is a condition-based weapon; they should have buffed the bleeding-stacks and -duration instead.

@Krispera.5087 said:

@Raizel.8175 said:To be honest, Druid shouldn't be the best healer in game as Druid has access to ridiculously strong unique buffs by having spirits and druid also has other strong utilities like Entangle. Druid is probably fine as it is. It doesn't matter in that regard that Guardian is core and Druid is an elite.

It's already not the best healer of the game for ages. The only thing holding Druid in its position are Spirits. Might can be provided by multitude of professions, so it's really the only thing. Spirits can be provided by other DPS Rangers.

Dude, Entangle ? It's something so easily removable with a condi clear or by just hitting it (Also, 20 secs cooldown). It's not like Guardian can't Immobilize with their skills and traits. It's hardly an argument.

Druid being an Elite spec matters even more, since it's purely a Support spec, so it should be stronger than Core specs. I'm glad other professions can be good healers too, it gives diversity, don't get me wrong. The problem is that beside being a buff/healing bot in Raids/Fractals, Druid is nothing. Realize the difference of easiness between Holy Strike vs Astral Wisp.

Of course it isn't the best healer. Why should it? The offensive support is unparalleled and gets only overshadowed by Chrono. I have to admit that I have no clue about WvW and PvP, but in PvE, Druid shouldn't be any stronger and - let's be honest - PvE is the main gamemode of GW2. In PvE, might and other boons druids provide also do matter. Druid still overshadows other heal-specs in PvE and that's why - at least in PvE - druid is currently fine as it is if not too strong.

Rangers complain about the lack of viable pets and the bugs that plague old ones (Quickness)They're left untouched or nerfedRangers complain that Dagger needs more utilitylol lets buff the Power Coefficients and call it thatPower Ranger is actually really good nowTime to nerf Worldly Impact in PvESome stances are still underperforming, Axe is still unsplit, Sw AA 2 still only hits one target instead of being a cleave, and so on[silence]Meanwhile, reworks and actual meaningful buffs are distributed elsewhere.Seriously, Anet.

@Raizel.8175 said:But yeah, Ranger simply just got nerfed. Don't know if nerfing WI is that much of an impact in PvE (I mostly just play PvE), but the dagger-buff is stupid and doesn't do anything. What they should have done to buff dagger is buffing bleeding-stacks/duration instead of buffing the useless power-component. As it is now, SB³ is probably still stronger which is just stupid game design. They also should have added some utility into dagger-skills.

No. What they should have done is to remove everything condi about the soulbeast and make it a pure power elite spec. That includes the dagger.

The ranger needs those merged stats and added damage modifiers that comes with the F5 merge to perform with damage oriented power builds on par with other professions in all game modes. It doesn’t need them for condi builds where the skills aren’t hurt from our ridiculously bad power coefficients. SB doesn’t work as a condi build in PvP either way, and it probably never will.

The fact that they designed SB to do both things, as they did with berzerker, is just hurting it. I predicted that as the spec was revealed, while its potential as a power build was clear from day one. The dagger, a couple of the stances and one trait along with two halfes of another two traits are the only condi related things SB actually has. It’s pointless. Give Soulbeast more utility and scew it towards full power from what its left of the condi stuff. Save a condi spec for a later expansion.

And if anyone is gonna say ”but SB hybrid builds”, sure SB looks made for those kinds of builds, but in reality the ranger as a class with its low coefficients is fundementally bad as a hybrid. Not that I think anyone will object that.

As for the patch notes: ridiculous. All of it. Bug fixes don't count as balance notes, so that's basically one unnecessary nerf and power buffs to a condi weapon. If nothing else, they could at least have looked at some pets while at it..

To contribute to the discussion looking ahead for PvP, I genuinely don't think Soulbeast is worth the trait slot if you're not playing a boon build now.

Sure, you can 360 noscope with it and Sic Em, but you can also do that on any other class with a lot less of the build being dedicated to doing it as opposed to being competitive in all aspects (power shatter Chrono/Mirage and any Power Necro build with Axe and passive Spinal Shivers come to mind, or just play a Rev, especially with offhand sword. I'd say Deadeye too but it's just a different genre of humor than Soulbeast).

Damage build? Swap out Soulbeast for MM/WS/BM Ranger. One shot potential with all of the utility you could ask for. Only thing I miss when I do this is another leap from the owl, but better positioning fixes that. To be fair, I already believed this to be the better way to run a LB/GS build before the patch.

Boon build is still Soulbeast all the way though. Probably on par with if not better than Holosmith, although Holosmith can actually trait to bring utility to a group fight where Soulbeast just brings damage with its viable build.

Druid got PvP dumpstered, and is still PvP dumpstered. As a bonus though, ANet made sure we'd have some Weaver company. I guess Firebrand is the only class allowed to have healing sustain. Oh, and silly me, I forgot Spellbreaker. Druid needed all those nerfs so it's damage and healing would be more in line with Spellbreaker, THAT'S why all the sidenode players are playing Spellbreaker now, because Druid is SO balanced /s.

Anyhow guys, that's my take on it. If you're actually going to PvP this season for no titles, no competitive reason, and the loot that 99% gets salvaged or sold for peanuts, then I hope it helps.

@Lazze.9870 said:

@Raizel.8175 said:But yeah, Ranger simply just got nerfed. Don't know if nerfing WI is that much of an impact in PvE (I mostly just play PvE), but the dagger-buff is stupid and doesn't do anything. What they should have done to buff dagger is buffing bleeding-stacks/duration instead of buffing the useless power-component. As it is now, SB³ is probably still stronger which is just stupid game design. They also should have added some utility into dagger-skills.

No. What they should have done is to remove everything condi about the soulbeast and make it a pure power elite spec. That includes the dagger.

The ranger needs those merged stats and added damage modifiers that comes with the F5 merge to perform with a damage focused power build in all game modes. It doesn’t need them for condi builds where the skills aren’t hurt from our ridiculously bad power coefficients, and SB doesn’t work as a condi build in PvP either way.

The fact that they designed SB to do both things, as they did with berzerker, is just hurting it. I said that as the spec was revealed. The dagger, a couple of the stances and one trait along with two halfes of another two traits are the only condi related things the spec actually has. It’s pointless. Save a condi spec for a later expansion.

If anyone was gonna say ”but SB hybrid builds”, the ranger doesn’t so those well anyway.

As for the patch notes: ridiculous. All of it.

I agree, Soulbeast is a good theme for a spec but it seems to have just been designed as a replacement to the pet in the old core condi DPS. Core Axe/Torch with quickdraw was just a much smother and more fun build.Power DPS on the other hand isn't going to get anywhere outside of meme one shot builds till they rework Sword, GS or give us a new power melee weapon.

Its a shame, there is so many interesting things they could have done with pet merging, all the new skills it added, a new weapon and stance sharing (especially in the area where petless builds are most needed, wvw groups) instead we just got a repackaged old build with dagger replacing the less clunky axe.

@"Kitrace Starbird.1742" said:Had a map chat conversation with a ranger dude once. He said he loves playing ranger and has "mained" it since launch but now only plays it in open world. If he does instanced content (fractals, raids) he brings other classes b/c it's just easier/more utility/more dps/etc.

Even after the WI nerf, Power Soulbeast still has the biggest burst potential for fractal CM boss phases... I was honestly expecting a bigger nerf to their dps (with like Sic' Em or Axe 5 involved in the cuts) and am pretty relieved that they're still a highly competitive and viable choice in this game mode since I only recently jumped ship to it after the last round of weeber nerfs and was really enjoying the class. :bleep_bloop:

The dagger buffs actually makes dagger on par with sword when using the MM BM SB power build against the golem. The poison life steal adds up, and it also got two fairly good damaging skills unlike sword which is only auto.

I don't mind the dagger being a viable power choice, I would even prefer it granted they're not gonna give it any utility to make it useful in pvp anyway. But it really does make the sword look bad.

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

@"Lynnie.7213" said:So its a flat 16% damage reduction to Wordly Impact but not just in pvp? So probably we are going to "lose" our spot at dps in pve now?

Since when has power soulbeast been the go to for dps in pve?

It was marked as meta in raids and fractals in the patch prior to the last patch (I don't PvE like that though).

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

@"Lynnie.7213" said:So its a flat 16% damage reduction to Wordly Impact but not just in pvp? So probably we are going to "lose" our spot at dps in pve now?

Power soulbeast was as wanted as Dragonhunter for the DPS role. IT was really good, only suffer on bosses where you couldn't stay melee all the time.

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

Ever since they started doing thoughtful buffs to ranger's power stufff and then finally closed some of gaps the patch previous to this recent one.

Anet might have realized by now that soulbeast makes power ranger viable, and has buffed it accordingly.

@Lynnie.7213 said:

@Lynnie.7213 said:So its a flat 16% damage reduction to Wordly Impact but not just in pvp? So probably we are going to "lose" our spot at dps in pve now?

Power soulbeast was as wanted as Dragonhunter for the DPS role. IT was really good, only suffer on bosses where you couldn't stay melee all the time.

@Lynnie.7213 said:So its a flat 16% damage reduction to Wordly Impact but not just in pvp? So probably we are going to "lose" our spot at dps in pve now?

Ever since they started doing thoughtful buffs to ranger's power stufff and then finally closed some of gaps the patch previous to this recent one.

Anet might have realized by now that soulbeast makes power ranger viable, and has buffed it accordingly.

Im just out of the loop then ;)The last time I checked it was all condi, vipers gear, sw/axe etc etc

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

Im just out of the loop then ;)The last time I checked it was all condi, vipers gear, sw/axe etc etc

I still find myself outdpsing power soulbeasts as condi these days in fractal with pugs, and contributing more to the party with stance share than the "useless" power sb build. On the other hand, condi has next to no cleave, while power sb is king, together with DH and Holo.

@Lazze.9870 said:Ever since they started doing thoughtful buffs to ranger's power stufffBuffing some BM traits isn't thoughtful stuff. Neither is blow a bunch of high CDs to make a burst skill hit hard then plink away with awful auto attack damage while we wait for them to come off cd.

If they want to make thoughtful changes to Ranger's power stuff they need to sort the weapons out.

@Levetty.1279 said:

@"Lazze.9870" said:Ever since they started doing thoughtful buffs to ranger's power stufffBuffing some BM traits isn't thoughtful stuff. Neither is blow a bunch of high CDs to make a burst skill hit hard then plink away with awful auto attack damage while we wait for them to come off cd.

If they want to make thoughtful changes to Ranger's power stuff they need to sort the weapons out.

We're talking thoughtful in Anet standards. They barely touched power ranger for years before the recent buffs to it. The greatsword was always a burst weapon, and the autos is at least tolerable compared to before.

Of course they have to sort the weapons out. Or rather, they need to sort out their dumb idea of giving ranger worse power coefficients because "we have a pet". Especially when they consistently nerf high damaging pets and won't fix their AI mess and outdated core pet skills.

Archived