Upgradeable armor set coming soon?

I doubt there will be a new tier of gear. What ANet means by upgradeable will most likely mean what they did with the Olmakhan bag for example. You do a few things, gather some mats and craft a rare armor. Then you do some more colections, spend some more mats, do some events maybe to upgrade it to exotic. Exotic will have a bit flashier skin. Then you'll grind some more events and even more mats to upgrade to ascended adding more flashyness and/or ornamentation. Maybe they'll go so far to add legendary armor at one point or let us craft different armor upgrades from exotic to ascended giving edditionad versions of the armor with different flavors of flashyness.

I think this will end the same way as with legendary armor from raids. ANet will realise 3 sets, one per weight. These skins will appeal to some and won't to others. The players who are happy will be happy, the players who aren't will whine on the interwebs on how Anet dares to put "something this ugly" into the game as endgame reward. Ppl will "riot" because of the cost, "I only play one hour per week, how am I supposed to get this reward, it's unfair, I want it NAOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".I'm curious how this will go down and what we will get. I'm looking forward to it but I won't set myself up for dissapointment. I expect the worst and hope for the best here.

I will post this in any thread that's about the new instance: Don't expect it to be cheap. Don't expect it to be easy. Don't expect it to be fast. I think this will apply to the armor as well, not just the instance.

@Vieux P.1238 said:

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:I'm hoping its cosmetic and not actually another gear tier. Unless its already integrated into ascended/legendary.

Hell no. Gear tier & build diversity to it is what this game majorly needs. Kiiten your cosmetics.

I disagree about gear tier. I've been playing GW2 since beta because it doesn't have new gear tier and lvl cap after every expansion, I was sick of that in other MMOs. If we get new slots in our gear and new ways to alter stats/skills/traits, that's fine, as long as they stick with Ascended and Legendary stuff.

@Mea.5491 said:

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:I'm hoping its cosmetic and not actually another gear tier. Unless its already integrated into ascended/legendary.

Hell no. Gear tier & build diversity to it is what this game majorly needs. Kiiten your cosmetics.

I disagree about gear tier. I've been playing GW2 since beta because it doesn't have new gear tier and lvl cap after every expansion, I was sick of that in other MMOs. If we get new slots in our gear and new ways to alter stats/skills/traits, that's fine, as long as they stick with Ascended and Legendary stuff.

Cosmetic slots, like bags, belts, medals and capes.

@Scar.1793 said:

Obviously you’ve never been there since GW1... try WoW or the other MMOs left on the market. They have the build diversity and constant vertical progression you want so much.

Not Gw1, but WoW yes. & WoW is a gear mill no matter how they do it. It was bad & they scratch it for something else. But millions of players are still playing it cuz there's a goal to optimize you & your gear. The trick is to make it better & not a WoW gearmill type. & that's my point. There are ways to do it & only a minority such as you don't want it. The rest of the world do. & that's why there still playing WoW & not Gw2.

@"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:I dont understand how people cannot see that this Upgradable armor is like others that we’ve gotten before.

Example the Spearmarshal set from PoF, its going to have a basic version that lets you upgrade it to look more fancy! Its a great system and I’m looking forward to see more of this!

Because that wouldn't warrant the emphasis on how new and interesting this armor is. They would never mention it was "upgradable" if it was something old

@Vieux P.1238 said:

Obviously you’ve never been there since GW1... try WoW or the other MMOs left on the market. They have the build diversity and constant vertical progression you want so much.

Not Gw1, but WoW yes. & WoW is a gear mill no matter how they do it. It was bad & they scratch it for something else. But millions of players are still playing it cuz there's a goal to optimize you & your gear. The trick is to make it better & not a WoW gearmill type. & that's my point. There are ways to do it & only a minority such as you don't want it. The rest of the world do. & that's why there still playing WoW & not Gw2.

Yes because after 6 years with no vertical progression the playerbase is really low as a result right?

Also I didn’t know you represented the majority of players who don’t even visit the forums.

In my eyes people play WoW for mainly 2 simple things :

• constant and regular updates with content due to the P2P model.

• Balance between classes in all game modes and their viability has been a lot better compared to Vanilla/BC era, and galaxies away from GW2.

@Scar.1793 said:

Yes because after 6 years with no vertical progression the playerbase is really low as a result right?

Kinda yes. Well i can assure you it would be way higher then now.

Also I didn’t know you represented the majority of players who don’t even visit the forums.

Yes, i'm representing the ones that left. Witch is a lot. What?, you think you represent the majority?

In my eyes people play WoW for mainly 2 simple things :

• constant and regular updates with content due to the P2P model.& Gw2 players don't want constant and regular updates with content due to the P2P model?Is that what your saying?

• Balance between classes in all game modes and their viability has been a lot better compared to Vanilla/BC era, and galaxies away from GW2.Really? Have you seen balance this last patch? Are you representing all the ppl complaining about it this season?

@Vieux P.1238 said:

They are playing WoW over GW2 because starting over after years of progress in a game is painful to do(and wows been out for what? 13+ now? JFC i couldnt start playing another MMO unless WoW literally died) and all the money they spent on WoW. When i started playing GW2 i was upset because the previous 7 years of progress in GW1 was Gone with almost nothing to say for it.

Id also argue its not a minority in THIS game with the people it was marketed to, this game is marketed as being not like the rest of the mmos on the market, as not having a gear treadmill of any kind, and that last one is one of the reasons im still playing, and i Doubt you are a majority of people IN this game, that want it, especially those that the game is actually marketed to. To those that left because there was no gear-treadmill of any kind, well thats their fault for 100% not realizing that a game advertised as not having any sort of gear treadmill did just that, not have any kind of gear treadmill, as was advertised.

As for GW1, gw1 had NO gear treadmill. Once you got to level 20 and had level 20 armor that was it, it was all about appearance and minmaxing runes/inscriptions, and it worked well.

GW2 adding gear tiers wont bring players into the game, but it will drive players out, and games that break with their advertisement and piss off both their loyal fan base and their most long lasting players, arent seen in a good light no matter how good they actually are, see No Mans Sky, and what happened with it breaking 90% of the promises it put out.

@Linken.6345 said:

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:I'm hoping its cosmetic and not actually another gear tier. Unless its already integrated into ascended/legendary.

I disagree; in a game
SOLD
as not having a gear treadmill, it shouldnt go back on that.I do however want to see a trend of having gear upgradable from "white" to "ascended" or even legendary.

hopefully this upgradeed armors have moving parts like the legendary raid skins, feels like a waste to only use it on 3 skins then never again.

Actually you can find this technology in several other items like the ascended backpacks from Sirens Landing. But also on weapons like the Shining Blade as you can see here

I guess the whole Mark Y Golem Backpack (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mark_Y_Golem) with all his animations wouldn't work without that technology.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:Honestly, i'd rather they put their money where his mouth was and release a set of elite specs outside of an expansion, so that we don't have to wait as long for proper choice of builds.

Not going to happen, since releasing a set of elite specs would require a beta test like we got before the expansion launches. If they would release them straight up, the bugs and the imbalance would be horrible, followed by an endless stream of hotfixes and patches. A beta test gives the developers a pretty good idea of what needs tweaking, buffing or nerfing, and what needs to be restructured completely.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:Remember silverwaste armor set, that is classified as an upgradable armor set. I suspect we will be getting the same.If you listen to the interview, it sounded purely cosmetic.

Exactly. This. Its what I’ve tried to tell people but they read too much into everything. Its going to work like Carapece/Spearmarshal armor :)

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:

@ReaverKane.7598 said:Honestly, i'd rather they put their money where his mouth was and release a set of elite specs outside of an expansion, so that we don't have to wait as long for proper choice of builds.

Not going to happen, since releasing a set of elite specs would require a beta test like we got before the expansion launches. If they would release them straight up, the bugs and the imbalance would be horrible, followed by an endless stream of hotfixes and patches. A beta test gives the developers a pretty good idea of what needs tweaking, buffing or nerfing, and what needs to be restructured completely.

LOL, beta tests never prevented imbalance (look at HoT, and PoF releases, heck, to this day, 3 years post HoT and a nearly a Year Post PoF they still haven't managed a single PvP season you can call truly balanced), and it can be beta tested just the same. It would actually be a good way for them to implement a test shard for all balance changes.If that's the impediment, it's a laughable one.

Archived