I like Revenant, but I greatly dislike Energy mechanics

Swagger.1459

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Nath Forge Tempete.1645 said:What annoys me the most about revenant is the lack of effectiveness in terms of open world ... THE CLEAVE is sooooo bad. Sword has no range of AA and almost every sword skills are single-target (or less effective vs multiple targets)

But hey ... strong vs one unique target. But not realistic for this game.

Joking, right? Revenant's probably the strongest open world class in the game (would argue that in it's current state, power reaper's prolly #1 right now tho), and sword's aa is one of the strongest cleave skills out there... 0.o

@"ventusthunder.5067" said:Energy is a good thing for Revenant, keeping its design separate from other classes.

If you run out of energy on the regular or can't manage it properly l2p.

This a huge hyperbole statement. Energy works well for power build using glint shiro. Everything else is just lame energy dump in PvE, where you activate th energy drain skill, switch to the next legend, do the same over and over in every single fucking build.

And one of the major issues condi build in PvP suffers from is energy costs. Same as well if you try a bruiser build using jailis. Renegade suffers from the same issue as well.

To summarize, I would say energy as a system works well for the meta PvP build. Every where else it is a liability.

@narcx.3570 said:

@Nath Forge Tempete.1645 said:What annoys me the most about revenant is the lack of effectiveness in terms of open world ... THE CLEAVE is sooooo bad. Sword has no range of AA and almost every sword skills are single-target (or less effective vs multiple targets)

But hey ... strong vs one unique target. But not realistic for this game.

Joking, right? Revenant's probably the strongest open world class in the game (would argue that in it's current state, power reaper's prolly #1 right now tho), and sword's aa is one of the strongest cleave skills out there... 0.o

not kidding - for me engineer - guard -(necro ofc) - elementalist (but low dmg) have better cleave than revenant in term of wideness.

"Revenant CAN be pretty fun to play, and I feel there are a lot of neat skills and builds for this profession, but I am not a fan of how the Energy mechanics have been implemented across the board... But why? Because combat was designed to be fast paced, where skill choices and seconds matter, yet the Energy mechanic can put limitations on, or remove entirely, a player's ability to choose the skill they need in the heat of the moment. This may not be as impactful in pve, however, it's highly noticeable, and sometimes detrimental in wvw or spvp"

Space out your skills? Use your burst at appropriate times? Think ahead for your moves and/or plays? The energy mechanic is the entire reason why rev is super interesting. If you want to change anything it should honestly be adding a core weapon in to promote more build diversity. Also, changing the way Kalla skills work in competitive would be a major QoL boost too.

Rev IS fun to play

@Zenith.7301 said:

@Kain Francois.4328 said:Energy is what allows Rev weapons to have lower cooldowns than other weapons. It's a compromise we must accept for balance.

lol what lower cd? Have you looked at warrior greatsword cd's? Or Guardian's?

Axe

Axe 4

Revenant - 10Warrior - 12Ranger - 15

Axe 5

Revenant - 15Warrior - 15Ranger - 25

Mace

Mace 2

Revenant - 3Guardian - 8Warrior - 10

Mace 3

Revenant - 8Guardian - 15Warrior - 12

Sword

Sword 2

Revenant - 5Guardian - 10Warrior - 8Engineer (Holosmith) - 9Ranger - 8Elementalist (Weaver) - Low: 8 | High: 15Mesmer - 10

Sword 3

Revenant - 12Guardian - 15Warrior - 12Engineer (Holosmith) - 14Ranger - 15Elementalist (Weaver) - Low: 10 | High: 20Mesmer - 12

mic drop

@Kain Francois.4328 said:

@Kain Francois.4328 said:Energy is what allows Rev weapons to have lower cooldowns than other weapons. It's a compromise we must accept for balance.

Axe

Axe 4

Axe 5

Mace

Mace 2

Mace 3

Sword

Sword 2
Revenant - 5Guardian - 10Warrior - 8Engineer (Holosmith) - 9Ranger - 8Elementalist (Weaver) - Low: 8 | High: 15Mesmer - 10

Sword 3
Revenant - 12Guardian - 15Warrior - 12Engineer (Holosmith) - 14Ranger - 15Elementalist (Weaver) - Low: 10 | High: 20Mesmer - 12

mic drop

lol you listed some of the most irrelevant PvE skills and neglected to include cd reduction from weapon traits (which warrior takes), bringing GS2 to 6.5 sec cd. Most of your comparisons don't even show an appreciable difference to merit the disadvantages of the energy system to begin with, so please keep that mic nobody cares about.

@Kain Francois.4328 said:

Axe

Axe 4

Axe 5

Mace

Mace 2

Mace 3

Sword

Sword 2

Sword 3

mic drop

You should revise your numbers to weapon skills being traited. Just saying

@Swagger.1459 said:

@DonArkanio.6419 said:in my opinion, seem to perform very well if you can plan your actions.

Can you explain what you mean by this quote?

If you clan plan well what you want to do before getting into combat, then the energy isn't a problem.Some skills are for sure very energy draining - Uyielding Angish. In theory you can spam it, but once you use it on 50 energy you are going to get screwed on PvP. In PvE it performs great. Instead of changing energy mechanics give legends the ability to use their skills more offensively.Mallyx's Absorption and Banish Enchantment are close to useless in open world. Same with Jalis' Chain.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

@DonArkanio.6419 said:in my opinion, seem to perform very well if you can plan your actions.

If you clan plan well what you want to do before getting into combat, then the energy isn't a problem.Some skills are for sure very energy draining - Uyielding Angish. In theory you can spam it, but once you use it on 50 energy you are going to get screwed on PvP. In PvE it performs great. Instead of changing energy mechanics give legends the ability to use their skills more offensively.Mallyx's Absorption and Banish Enchantment are close to useless in open world. Same with Jalis' Chain.

Banish Enchantment is sometimes usefull when facing mobs with annoying boons like protection and regeneration. Absorption is just ridiculously useless when solo and Jalis' Chain is most likely useless in any game modes ?

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

You can plan all you want for combat in pve, but there is no predicting exactly how players are going to behave or what skills you need in the moment to react. Yes, you can plan your build, and get an idea of the capabilities of other builds you face, but the unpredictable nature of combat against another player can’t be pre-planned with regard to energy resources.

For the record, this thread is not about sitting in the back line of a Zerg running facets and spamming hammer. Nor am I talking about fighting scripted PvE AI. Anything outside of those two above areas requires different demands on gameplay, and when I need a skill I haven’t used then I should have access to that skill. Not be denied a skill I needed in the moment because the energy resources design is telling me.... “no no, you can’t use that skill you need now because you needed to use that other skill moments ago...”. The energy design can be ok at times, and under certain scenarios, but it is also a flawed mechanic in ways and on certain legends.

@Swagger.1459 said:

You can plan all you want for combat in pve, but there is no predicting exactly how players are going to behave or what skills you need in the moment to react. Yes, you can plan your build, and get an idea of the capabilities of other builds you face, but the unpredictable nature of combat against another player can’t be pre-planned with regard to energy resources.

For the record, this thread is not about sitting in the back line of a Zerg running facets and spamming hammer. Nor am I talking about fighting scripted PvE AI. Anything outside of those two above areas requires different demands on gameplay, and when I need a skill I haven’t used then I should have access to that skill. Not be denied a skill I needed in the moment because the energy resources design is telling me.... “no no, you can’t use that skill you need now because you needed to use that other skill moments ago...”. The energy design can be ok at times, and under certain scenarios, but it is also a flawed mechanic in ways and on certain legends.——But, should you have used that skill? Should you make moves based on the legend you have... and knowing the cooldown for your legend swapping for more energy? Pop the blind on glint when you see a burst... use phase traversal on random mobs in wvw to get away and reset combat?

It’s kind of like chess, and going full YOLO isn’t always going to work out. You have to be equally defensive and offensive. Cover your bases while planning your assault.

@Rogerthatroger.6409 said:

For the record, this thread is not about sitting in the back line of a Zerg running facets and spamming hammer. Nor am I talking about fighting scripted PvE AI. Anything outside of those two above areas requires different demands on gameplay, and when I need a skill I haven’t used then I should have access to that skill. Not be denied a skill I needed in the moment because the energy resources design is telling me.... “no no, you can’t use that skill you need now because you needed to use that other skill moments ago...”. The energy design can be ok at times, and under certain scenarios, but it is also a flawed mechanic in ways and on certain legends.——But, should you have used that skill? Should you make moves based on the legend you have... and knowing the cooldown for your legend swapping for more energy? Pop the blind on glint when you see a burst... use phase traversal on random mobs in wvw to get away and reset combat?

It’s kind of like chess, and going full YOLO isn’t always going to work out. You have to be equally defensive and offensive. Cover your bases while planning your assault.

Should I not have used that skill?... ... ... ... ... ... ...

...Think you are missing the main points. That post was to highlight some drawbacks to the way energy resources are implemented.

Somehow it boggles the mind that removing resource gates on weapons, all but 2 legend slot skills, making all skills available on the bar when needed and adding in the “Ammo” mechanics in places... are seen as nerfs... These are actually buffs to the Revenant, not nerfs...

@Swagger.1459 said:Somehow it boggles the mind that removing resource gates on weapons, all but 2 legend slot skills, making all skills available on the bar when needed and adding in the “Ammo” mechanics in places... are seen as nerfs... These are actually buffs to the Revenant, not nerfs

No, you’re missing most of our points

1) a lot of people don’t want the current playstyle kittened with as moving it away from what it currently is continues to remove and change its unique identity. The current playstyle appeals to people like me and I’d be incredibly frustrated to see my class get turned more into every other class. If you don’t like the mechanics of the class find one that suits you; there are 9 with 18 elite specs for a reason.

2) if the current playstyle is kittened with in the way you want it to be the profession will almost certainly be nerfed somewhere to compensate as it’s borderline too strong as is in WvW, strong/meta in pvp if you know what you’re doing/are part of an organized team, and above average to meta in raids/PvE various nerfs could ruin it’s relatively balanced current state in all modes; I’d hate to see that

3) not sure if this one has been mentioned yet, but theres no guarantee a rework of this level would turn out well, at all. The herald and deadeye reworks were a mixed bag and the Mesmer rework made the class completely OP, which took half a year to fix (and arguably still isn’t fixed in some ways).

4) Additionally, even if your changes were implemented builds such as Condi Rev or Renegade still wouldn’t see much use in competitive formats since most of their issues have less to do with energy cost/management and more to do with lack of offensive pressure or well designed skills/lack of adequate defenses. Revenant’s issues, gamewide, are mostly due to what its various builds can do/what it offers/provides and that has little to do with energy management, overall

5) Revenant works and isn’t broken, despite a vocal minority of players (many of whom aren’t even revenant mains) claiming otherwise. Don’t ruin it out of selfishness.

Current system is good for Power Pvp and Condi PvE and is super satisfying. But in Power PvE its 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 cuz for this spells are too expensive, Same for healing where you just activate healing upkeep and dont use any weapon(thats reason why there is no need for shield buff, you dont use it anyway). Overall I like this system. It isnt perfect but it works.

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:Somehow it boggles the mind that removing resource gates on weapons, all but 2 legend slot skills, making all skills available on the bar when needed and adding in the “Ammo” mechanics in places... are seen as nerfs... These are actually buffs to the Revenant, not nerfs

1)
a lot of people don’t want the current playstyle kittened with as moving it away from what it currently is continues to remove and change its unique identity.
The current playstyle appeals to people like me and I’d be incredibly frustrated to see my class get turned more into every other class. If you don’t like the mechanics of the class find one that suits you; there are 9 with 18 elite specs for a reason.

2)
if the current playstyle is kittened with in the way you want it to be the profession will almost certainly be nerfed
somewhere
to compensate
as it’s borderline too strong as is in WvW, strong/meta in pvp if you know what you’re doing/are part of an organized team, and above average to meta in raids/PvE various nerfs could ruin it’s relatively balanced current state in all modes; I’d hate to see that

3) not sure if this one has been mentioned yet, but
theres no guarantee a rework of this level would turn out well, at all. The herald and deadeye reworks were a mixed bag and the Mesmer rework made the class completely OP, which took half a year to fix (and arguably still isn’t fixed in some ways).

4) Additionally, even if your changes were implemented builds such as Condi Rev or Renegade still wouldn’t see much use in competitive formats since most of their issues have less to do with energy cost/management and more to do with lack of offensive pressure or well designed skills/lack of adequate defenses.
Revenant’s issues, gamewide, are mostly due to what its various builds can do/what it offers/provides and that has little to do with energy management, overall

5)
Revenant works and isn’t broken, despite a vocal minority of players (many of whom aren’t even revenant mains) claiming otherwise. Don’t ruin it out of selfishness.

I didn't miss any points. It's just some, like you, are assuming the worst...

Even if you gave Rev the Thief Initiative resource mechanics you'd still have 2 completely different professions... Heck, if every profession had Initiative resources they would all be different... Each one carries DIFFERENT weapons, slot skills, traits... Some of you really need to let go of the hang up on resources as if someone buys and plays gw2 because of whatever resource mechanic the devs decided to put on any particular profession.

It's a given that all professions need skill improvements, but that doesn't mean energy mechanics are immune to scrutiny... You are treating a mechanic upgrade as some detrimental thing, but guess what? It's not.

I swear I've never seen any other game forums where people get so worried over class buffs and improvements like I do in gw2...

@Swagger.1459 said:

1)
a lot of people don’t want the current playstyle kittened with as moving it away from what it currently is continues to remove and change its unique identity.
The current playstyle appeals to people like me and I’d be incredibly frustrated to see my class get turned more into every other class. If you don’t like the mechanics of the class find one that suits you; there are 9 with 18 elite specs for a reason.

2)
if the current playstyle is kittened with in the way you want it to be the profession will almost certainly be nerfed
somewhere
to compensate
as it’s borderline too strong as is in WvW, strong/meta in pvp if you know what you’re doing/are part of an organized team, and above average to meta in raids/PvE various nerfs could ruin it’s relatively balanced current state in all modes; I’d hate to see that

theres no guarantee a rework of this level would turn out well, at all. The herald and deadeye reworks were a mixed bag and the Mesmer rework made the class completely OP, which took half a year to fix (and arguably still isn’t fixed in some ways).

4) Additionally, even if your changes were implemented builds such as Condi Rev or Renegade still wouldn’t see much use in competitive formats since most of their issues have less to do with energy cost/management and more to do with lack of offensive pressure or well designed skills/lack of adequate defenses.
Revenant’s issues, gamewide, are mostly due to what its various builds can do/what it offers/provides and that has little to do with energy management, overall

5)
Revenant works and isn’t broken, despite a vocal minority of players (many of whom aren’t even revenant mains) claiming otherwise. Don’t ruin it out of selfishness.

Even if you gave Rev the Thief Initiative resource mechanics you'd still have 2 completely different professions... Heck, if every profession had Initiative resources they would all be different... Each one carries DIFFERENT weapons, slot skills, traits... Some of you really need to let go of the hang up on resources as if someone buys and plays gw2 because of whatever resource mechanic the devs decided to put on any particular profession.

It's a given that all professions need skill improvements, but that doesn't mean energy mechanics are immune to scrutiny... You are treating a mechanic upgrade as some detrimental thing, but guess what? It's not.

I swear I've never seen any other game forums where people get so worried over class buffs and improvements like I do in gw2...

Two legitimate questions: how long have you played revenant? How long have you really paid attention to balance decisions regarding revenant?

I’m not assuming the worst; I’m making an analysis based on the class’s past history.

Also, just because you say it would be a mechanic upgrade doesn’t mean it would be. I don’t want an ammo system on my class. I don’t like the ammo system all that much overall. “Upgrade” here really is subjective in a lot of ways

@

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

1)

2)
somewhere
to compensate

5)

Two legitimate questions: how long have you played revenant? How long have you
really
paid attention to balance decisions regarding revenant?

I’m not assuming the worst; I’m making an analysis based on the class’s past history.

Also, just because you say it would be a mechanic upgrade doesn’t mean it would be. I don’t want an ammo system on my class. I don’t like the ammo system all that much overall. “Upgrade” here really is subjective in a lot of ways

Well I been playing from the start and beta early access of Rev during HoT. I remember when the class didn't even have Weapon Swap and the forum feedback got that changed. So I am sure there were others that thought it was perfect and unique without weapon swap. I remember the threads and people were arguing against that as well. But fast forward, glad they did that. I remember early on Rev was OP in PvP and got heavy handed hit by the Nerf bat and was never in a reasonable shape since. Damn Anet just recently reduced lots of energy cost on skills years later. Why do that if it was always perfect? The Core Revenent is the least used. Nobody runs core Rev. That's how broken the class is that you can't play it period without an elite spec. On other classes at least I can actually play without using an elite spec and be effective. Not with Rev. The class never been well designed. It was rushed out the door to meet HoT, it was changed with the nerfs like the Demon Nerf that showed the developers really had no direction for where they wanted the Rev design to go, since some of the old designs for the demon is still in the game despite the redesign

The only thing I would change about energy mechanics would be buffing energy regen rate after 10 - 20 seconds of not swapping legends.

Manically swapping legends every 10 seconds for the 50 energy is not something I'm ever going to do. I'll switch legend if it makes sense to, i.e. if I need to use one of their abilities. The fundamental appeal of energy v cooldown class design is that you control your character, not the other way around. Swapping legend every 10 seconds for the 50 energy undermines that.

@"Swagger.1459" said:

I didn't miss any points.

But you are though.

The purpose of energy cost on Rev weapons is to force a legend swap faster when using upkeeps. This is a very important balancing feature, otherwise players in PvP could just camp Mallyx form or Jalis Hammers all day and wreck shit. The flip side of this limitation is that it allows a Revenant to proc Charged Mists faster.

Can you imagine how OP Revenant weapons would be if they had no energy cost? Instant blink chill+slow and massive damage on Sword#5, a multi-hit Sword#4 that immobilizes almost instantly, Sword#3 evades while doing heavy damage, Sword#2 can maintain near-perma chill on top of chasing enemies with projectiles and doing massive damage. And that's just Sword alone.

Can you imagine how terrible would have been the WvW Hammer#2 meta if Reveant weapons had no energy costs? Mallyx would have been wrecking shit with Mallyx Form's boosted stats and basically oneshottig anything the hammer touches, all while having a near perma projectile block on Hammer#4, and massive evade+damage on Hammer#4.

Energy costs on weapons put a time limitation into Revenant's upkeep, forcing more skillful play for temporarily boosted skills.

Also, I'm going to reiterate that Revenant wep cds are much lower than other class weapons. And anyone who tells me "BUT YOU DIDN'T ACCOUNT FOR THE WEAPON TRAITS!!!", divide the weapon cds by /1.20 and do it yourself. Rev CDs are still much lower than other weapons.

If anything can be said about the state of Revenant weapons, it's that Shortbow sucks, and Shield is underwhelming.

Archived