Shackling Wave changes, Poll. Opinions and discussions.

rev in love.8439

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Solori.6025 said:

@"Zenix.6198" said:Instructions unclear.Where is the "Reduce damage and leave cast time at 1s"-option?

Only bronze players need such a changeYou can't dodge a 1s cast skill? Don't play pvp

.........People can't dodge anything in this game. So I fully expect shackling wave to get this treatment

*People can't dodge everything in this game.There, fixed it for you.If I have to dodge precision strike AND unrelenting assault AND shackling wave, that's where the real problem starts to show.

@Zenix.6198 said:

@Zenix.6198 said:Instructions unclear.Where is the "Reduce damage and leave cast time at 1s"-option?

Only bronze players need such a changeYou can't dodge a 1s cast skill? Don't play pvp

.........People can't dodge anything in this game. So I fully expect shackling wave to get this treatment

*People can't dodge everything in this game.There, fixed it for you.If I have to dodge precision strike AND unrelenting assault AND shackling wave, that's where the real problem starts to show.

I forgot blocks, invulns , CC ,blinds ,and healing doesn't exist on any profession.My b

@Solori.6025 said:

@Zenix.6198 said:Instructions unclear.Where is the "Reduce damage and leave cast time at 1s"-option?

I forgot blocks, invulns , CC ,blinds ,and healing doesn't exist on any profession.My b

I'm still trying to find those on my necromancer. All I could find are some CC that take almost as long or longer than Shackling to cast.

1s cast time really isn't that long and I don't understand why revs are losing their minds over it.

@Crinn.7864 said:

I'm still trying to find those on my necromancer. All I could find are some CC that take almost as long or longer than Shackling to cast.

1s cast time really isn't that long and I don't understand why revs are losing their minds over it.

I thought Garrish pillar was instant ? I also don't think you lose healing on a necro. But I might be mistaken. I haven't seen one without a mommy firebrand in a few months.Point still stands though. People are terrible at dodging telegraphed skills and rev is not immune to being changed because of it.

@Solori.6025 said:

I thought Garrish pillar was instant ? I also don't think you lose healing on a necro. But I might be mistaken. I haven't seen one without a mommy firebrand in a few months.Point still stands though. People are terrible at dodging telegraphed skills and rev is not immune to being changed because of it.

Garish has a animation delay same as all scourge skills. I was thinking more of Reaper where you have 1.25s CTTB, 1.25s Executioner's Scythe, 1.25s Gravedigger, and then Grasping Darkness with it's .75s cast + 0.5s animation delay.

Seriously rev casts are fast dude.

@Crinn.7864 said:

I thought Garrish pillar was instant ? I also don't think you lose healing on a necro. But I might be mistaken. I haven't seen one without a mommy it.ahbrand in a few months.Point still stands though. People are terrible at dodging telegraphed skills and rev is not immune to being changed because of it.

Garish has a animation delay same as all scourge skills. I was thinking more of Reaper where you have 1.25s CTTB, 1.25s Executioner's Scythe, 1.25s Gravedigger, and then Grasping Darkness with it's .75s cast + 0.5s animation delay.

Seriously rev casts are fast dude.

ah yea. I didn't think people still played reaper since scourge firebrand combo performed better. And Boonbeast and deadeye could just pick you off from a safe spot if you were reaper.But I do agree Reaper struggles in every category I listed ( even the healing is mediocre)

@Solori.6025 said:

No disrespect, but you are missing the point by a mile here.

The "just dodge" argument simply isn't applicable anymore. There is too much dmg flung around by literally every class now.When I face a revenant, I'd like to dodge: Precision Strike, Unrelenting Assault, Shackling Wave, Deathstrike, Surge of the Mists, Glint knockback and I'm really not fond of tanking more than 2 impossible odds infused autoattacks either. ==> All of that just from rev alone, the class that has ~100% critchance, 25 might (which even gives 33% more power) and a bunch of easily accessible dmg modifiers.

All of these skills have backstab(-ish) basedmg and require next to no setup. Add something like a holosmith (altho you can really pick whatever meta dps spec you want) to the mix and the amount of dodges one would need to not get flat out deleted becomes absolutely absurd.

How everybody is losing their minds over this "massive nerf; literally unplayable" to shackling wave, actually is beyond me.It's not like rev has no access to a skills that, lets say, gives them ~4s of quickness and a buff that makes their attacks unblockable.Yes, Revenant, once upon a time, took some skill to play well....but with the amount of training wheels they received, those days are long past.

It seems that many people (as they usually do) make comparisons out of context. First of all since this ability hits so hard because as a rev you should use devastation invoking herald and invest in damage by losing sustain. If you change devastation for something else you will not see more than 3 / 5k, maybe 6 this skill to any profession that you hit even using marauder and scholar. I think the best way to balance it would be, the first 0.5s of block forced that you can leave blocking until 2s and press a second time to make the wave with a cast of 0.5s, unmodified damage.

@Crinn.7864 said:

@"Zenix.6198" said:Instructions unclear.Where is the "Reduce damage and leave cast time at 1s"-option?

Under this logic anyone that every dies to a Reaper should quit PvP, since Reaper's average cast time is 1s.

Being good at pvp is knowing when to dodge what enemy skill. Also you can kite to avoid incoming damage, something a lot of people seem to forget in this thread.

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

@Zenix.6198 said:It's not like rev has no access to a skills that, lets say, gives them ~4s of quickness and a buff that makes their attacks unblockable.

Was going to write this.Seeing all revs pretending that they have no access to quickness is rather funny.

Nobody is pretending Revenants do not have acces to quickness, but all of you are forgetting that Revenant have an Energy supply to take in account. The skill that gives quickness uses 35 energy. You start with 50 energy(only goes up when you're in combat). So when you use this skill for quickness you can use one skill on your weapon and the rest of the damage will have to be autoattacks. it's not like Revenants can activate quickness and throw their whole kit at you in under a second

I had stopped playing S/S Revenant altogether after I realized how unfair the following was even though I enjoyed the Phase Traversal abuse on certain maps, but it was too easy because of the simple chain with quickness since the teleport alone would make people waste a dodge 90% of the time. It's not surprising since we started to see more Revs again, the profession was straight forward as pressing 3 buttons every 15 seconds to get someone at 25% their HP, if not already downed, this is a good change and gone with the cheesy damage.

However I am not against bringing back duelist preparation because it could mitigate that clunky cast and counterplay for the damage, which would also be better for mace pairing as other than shield, there is absolutely no sustain offhand on Rev which limits already the poor options of weapon, even better would be to make the damage be based on the amount of blocks duelist preparation sucked in if having an extra 2 seconds block is too much.

The real issue was that the old deathstrike was extremely clunky to pull off while duelist preparation was rather underpowered.

Don't really want this profession to get anymore simple than now for Power. It already barely forces people to manage energy and just ends up being as too similar as everything else. You can say it's easy to avoid, but the main argument comes from being a crutch anyway. Because you can deal with it doesn't mean it's not a problem in the system, everything is possible to deal with. It just depends how stupid the process and reward goes, in the case of this. It was just two big near instant hits without any real thinking of when to use it since the CD is so low.

How it is, its useless against semi-aware opponents. It can't hit anything making it just an animation where you get anhilated or avoided. I'd prefer the block back as that would include some utility to the class, and with IO auto attacks can still dish out some nice damage. The amount of damage plus an immobe I feel is too much for the skill, but if you tie it to a counter attack at least it requires some timing for the user, and some ability to react for the opponent. But anything that takes that much cast time and isnt a big aoe is useless.

@Zenix.6198 said:

The "just dodge" argument simply isn't applicable anymore. There is too much dmg flung around by literally every class now.When I face a revenant, I'd like to dodge: Precision Strike, Unrelenting Assault, Shackling Wave, Deathstrike, Surge of the Mists, Glint knockback and I'm really not fond of tanking more than 2 impossible odds infused autoattacks either. ==> All of that just from rev alone, the class that has ~100% critchance, 25 might (which even gives 33% more power) and a bunch of easily accessible dmg modifiers.

All of these skills have backstab(-ish) basedmg and require next to no setup. Add something like a holosmith (altho you can really pick whatever meta dps spec you want) to the mix and the amount of dodges one would need to not get flat out deleted becomes absolutely absurd.

How everybody is losing their minds over this "massive nerf; literally unplayable" to shackling wave, actually is beyond me.It's not like rev has no access to a skills that, lets say, gives them ~4s of quickness and a buff that makes their attacks unblockable.Yes, Revenant, once upon a time, took some skill to play well....but with the amount of training wheels they received, those days are long past.

What you and a lot of people seem to continue doing is laying out a list of skills, as if you have no way to avoid, block, or prevent them.This is the point I was making in my round about way.Yes damage across the board is really high. So is the boon spam. So is the CC spam.Everything really with PoF got turned into overdrive.

But listing one classes weapon skills in an attempt to make them seem like they are overbearing in every scenario is disingenuous to the entire mechanical make-up of the game. As I said in another thread- I don't care for Rev in the slightest. Give scenario's with values. Show that you did everything possible to avoid and counter attack the burst combo you received from Rev. Present an argument based on realistic situations in the game that don't read like you were a human test dummy. It's why I listed things like block- like invuln-like CC hell I'll even throw in Conditions because standard power Rev suffers heavily against a well played condition build.

Listing skills tells 1/4 of the story and doesn't actually help anyone ( like Anet who seems to not have an actual clue about their own game) actually solve the problem...Unless you are looking for them to repeat what they did to mesmer and nerf around the problem..

@Solori.6025 said:

What you and a lot of people seem to continue doing is laying out a list of skills, as if you have no way to avoid, block, or prevent them.This is the point I was making in my round about way.Yes damage across the board is really high. So is the boon spam. So is the CC spam.Everything really with PoF got turned into overdrive.

But listing one classes weapon skills in an attempt to make them seem like they are overbearing in every scenario is disingenuous to the entire mechanical make-up of the game. As I said in another thread- I don't care for Rev in the slightest. Give scenario's with values. Show that you did everything possible to avoid and counter attack the burst combo you received from Rev. Present an argument based on realistic situations in the game that don't read like you were a human test dummy. It's why I listed things like block- like invuln-like CC hell I'll even throw in Conditions because standard power Rev suffers heavily against a well played condition build.

Listing skills tells 1/4 of the story and doesn't actually help anyone ( like Anet who seems to not have an actual clue about their own game) actually solve the problem...Unless you are looking for them to repeat what they did to mesmer and nerf around the problem..

Having sword block again would be nice for those who don't want to be forced using the shield for any sustain with mace or staff altogether.

@Solori.6025 said:

Thats some ...very selective reading.

As I have already said....shackling wave on its own would be fine to deal with. Thats why I literally listed 5 other skills (not including all the damage buffs from traits and boons) as well.

And OF COURSE looking at skill descriptions is a legitimate argument. Or are you saying, that you were fine with something like "Full Counter" on PoF release day?Was it really fine to hit people for 8k upwards on a 8second CD cause it had some counterplay to it? (Never mind my Whatabout-ism here)

And for your "realistic situations"-argument, here:https://twitch.tv/posisn/clip/AssiduousCloudySharkAMPTropPunch?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time

Sure, that clip is from a while ago ....but seeing as everybody wants THAT back ...it felt fitting to link it anyway.And the necromancer in this clip isn't some random gold-player either.Nonetheless ....25k HP. Deleted. In a matter of seconds.

@Zenix.6198 said:

Thats some ...very selective reading.

As I have already said....shackling wave on its own would be fine to deal with. Thats why I literally listed 5 other skills (not including all the damage buffs from traits and boons) as well.

And OF COURSE looking at skill descriptions is a legitimate argument. Or are you saying, that you were fine with something like "Full Counter" on PoF release day?Was it really fine to hit people for 8k upwards on a 8second CD cause it had some counterplay to it? (Never mind my Whatabout-ism here)

And for your "realistic situations"-argument, here:

Sure, that clip is from a while ago ....but seeing as everybody wants THAT back ...it felt fitting to link it anyway.And the necromancer in this clip isn't some random gold-player either.Nonetheless ....25k HP. Deleted. In a matter of seconds.

Ummm... I didnt mention. Anywhere in that post about skill descriptions.....like at all..I dont know if you read my post or if you are just selecting key words to reply to?

Things I said in the post you replied to " listing skills is disingenous..." Maybe what I should have said is " listing skills in secession one after the other" . Maybe that would be more clear so that you don't think skill description?A better example let me change your words slightly " when I face warrior I'd like to dodge eviscerate->arcing slice->triple chop->throw axe->Rush and all of those are backed with strength multipliers and CC's from shield"^ That's basically what im talking about.That doesn't help anyone assess an actual combat situation. Which is what I was talking about in my reply to you. Which you missed entirely.Thank you for the twitch clip. That's a lot of damage. But I think, if you had read my reply, I already stated what I thought of power rev...

@Chaith.8256 said:There's no poll option for those that agree with the change. Why even use such a misleading thread title question

It was not my intention to cheat, but you always have the other option / explain that you can explain it by saying that it is okay with this change, or am I missing something? Thank you all for your answers ;)

@Crinn.7864 said:

Under this logic anyone that every dies to a Reaper should quit PvP, since Reaper's average cast time is 1s.

Average cast time of Reaper is .71...

Archived