Is Gem to Gold conversion Rigged?

There are transaction fees, presumably to stop people from sitting in game flipping gems <—> gold to make a profit.

Currency ExchangeTransaction fee is a 15% fee for trading gems for gold or vice-versa. For example, exchanging 1 Gold coin gives 85 Silver coin worth of gems while reselling those gems returns only around 72 Silver coin 25 Copper coin, resulting in a net loss of roughly 28%.

I think most people missed the point you were making TC:

1 gold = 5 gems10 gold = 43 gems (should be 50 given the first conversion rate)50 gold =211 gems (should be 215 given the first conversion rate)100 gold = 420 gems (should be 430 given the first conversion rate)250 gold = 1,050 (should be 1,075 given the first conversion rate)

The obvious answer is: the 1 gold exchange is getting favorably rounded up to the next full gem.

The BLTC is a player driven economy with no direct involvement by ANet.They look at overall balance of rewards, and have periodically adjusted recipes to increase or decrease sinks of materials.And added time gating. But they have no mandate to make sure that each & every item in the gem shop has more than vendor value.

Isn't gem conversion part of the BLTC?

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:Woldn't exactly be the first thing to offer bulk discounts...

It appears that buying them in bulk would yield a loss as compared to buying them in small batches. For example if 10 gold is 44 gems, and 1 gold is 5 gems, if I converted 1 gold 10 times in a row, I'd have 50 gems at the end. Am I interpreting that incorrectly?

@"Chiccotot.7296" said:From what I see, 10gold is 44 Gems, and yet 1Gold is 5 Gems??Someone from your team needs to go back to primary school and relearn math.

The math is fine. Every time you sell anything in the game, including items (for gold) or gems (for gold) or gold (for gems), there's a tax. For items, it's 10% (sales tax) + 5% (listing fee); for gold:gems or gems:gold, it's closer to 18% total (it used to be exactly 15% also and changed sometime before John Smith left ANet; it's never been explained why).

If there wasn't a tax, then people would "flip" gems and speculate on the market, undermining the entire reason that ANet has an official Gem Exchange in the first place.

@Orion Templar.4589 said:

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:Woldn't exactly be the first thing to offer bulk discounts...

It appears that buying them in bulk would yield a loss as compared to buying them in small batches. For example if 10 gold is 44 gems, and 1 gold is 5 gems, if I converted 1 gold 10 times in a row, I'd have 50 gems at the end. Am I interpreting that incorrectly?

For calculating fees with items sold, the TP keeps track of rounding, so eventually you end up paying the same taxes whether you sold in stacks or 250 separate sales. For gem|gold exchanges, the price that shows in the window originally isn't 100% accurate; it might vary from when you press the button. It wouldn't surprise me if this turns out to be more a UI confusion situation rather than an actual difference.

@Orion Templar.4589 said:

You're reading it backwards - 1 gold costs 5 gems. The left box is spending gems to get gold.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

You're reading it backwards - 1 gold
costs
5 gems. The left box is spending gems to get gold.

Oops, yeah, my bad. Should have looked at the heading. The rate on the gold-to-gems side looks like:

400 - 140.5520 -> 2.846 gems per gold800 - 280.8148 -> 2.849 gems per gold1200 - 421.3668 -> 2.848 gems per gold2000 - 701.8933 -> 2.849 gems per gold

Very consistent except for rounding.

@Hugheszie.6291 said:So, If i sit here and keep buying 5 gems for 1 gold over and over again, i'd have more than if i just buy the amount I want in bulk?No, because that's the tab for buying gold with gems. The one to buy gems with gold is on the right. As you can see, the fractional rounding is always against you, never in your favour.

Notice also, that your buying/selling gems impacts the price, and that is already factored in the calculation (it's like buying stuff in bulk off TP, but not so transparent).

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Hugheszie.6291 said:So, If i sit here and keep buying 5 gems for 1 gold over and over again, i'd have more than if i just buy the amount I want in bulk?No, because that's the tab for buying gold with gems. The one to buy gems with gold is on the right. As you can see, the fractional rounding is always against you, never in your favour.

Notice also, that your buying/selling gems impacts the price, and that is already factored in the calculation (it's like buying stuff in bulk off TP, but not so transparent).

Go to my post above, I already mentioned I'd looked at the wrong side of the page lol

Archived