Can We Talk About Name Availability For A Minute

Honestly, GW2 is about a bazillion times better than every MMO I've ever tried wrt name availability.

I mean, SURNAMES! It's fantastic! All my characters bar one have the same surname, which makes naming them quite easy. Obviously, after six years, Severus Snape is going to be taken, but Severus Targaryen is...unlikely to be taken already. See what I mean?

Just use a bit of creativity and you should be fine.

• 1 year later...

I've been searching forums for something else but ended up here. I understand the frustration, another guy holding my name for instance. the name I've been using since mIrc was a new thing. but it's ok. If devs can build a nice little account wide system to use a surname, client sided hidden/unhidden, this could end our problems. but also would create another problem. so many people would like name themselves like Cloud, Red, Ocean or pick names from Street fighter, MK, DC, Marvel characters. Name one...So if they ever bring a system like this, imo they should block top 1000 most wanted nicknames and make them all unavailable for character naming diversity to stay healthy. Also, I see more people are using spaced names like C l o u d, or using special chars like Clóúd, or making 10yo kid names like xXxCloudXxX. This needs to end pronto.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

I have played through both those MMO's.. SWTOR name changes were due to forced server merges where name duplication became an issue, so BW enforced policy as to who got to keep and not.I was a beta tester in swtor and had my name no problems. Game went live still had my name as I was on when it went live. Not long after yes they did a server merge and I had to change my name, That pissed me off. But after they went free to play I had to change it again as they gave out any name to a paid account. That pissed me right off and I can say without a doubt I will NEVER play swtor EVER again because of it.

@"kharmin.7683" said:Why stop at 1000? Who would be the arbiter of which 1000 names were most wanted?I said all this to explain how allowing people to give any names to their characters would give birth to another problem. copycat generic names on many characters.

To solve that problem, we could start with the 5 most famous character names from each and every top 100 famous IPs. simply locking them for us to reuse. plus super generic names like colour names and basic entity names like "wood" or "lamp" :) but who would work on it? nobody. it's probably too late to make it happen.either way, stupid names like xXxinsertyourweirdnamexXX must gone.

• Confused 1

Finding roleplay names can be hard, particularly if you're Asura. Asuran's don't have last names and have very specific naming conventions, though I suppose they can have titles...

My general rule of thumb in MMO's is to never get attached to a name that is less than 6 characters, a real life name or a reference to something, and if I do, I'll add a last name or change the spelling.

• 1 year later...
On 4/7/2019 at 5:51 PM, Dawdler.8521 said:

I would recommend not trying to name your character xXLegolasXx then. With the firstname lastname naming practice the choices are practicly endless anyway. The idea that you could delete another characters name just because its "old" is ridiculus.

What a stupid, braindead thing to say.  Where did you get information that OP is using LOTR names?  Grow up.  The OP had a legitimate complaint: it IS disappointing when you keep trying different uncommon names and all of them are not available.  You can disagree with OP but do it respectfully.   And many online games do purge names from dead accounts without issue or any mass complaining ensuing.

What is "ridiculus" is you.

Edited by Standish.7510
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Standish.7510 said:

What a stupid thing to say.  Where did you get information that OP is using LOTR names?  Grow up.  The OP had a legitimate complaint; it IS disappointing when you keep trying different uncommon names all of them are not available.  You can disagree with OP but do it respectfully.   And many online games do purge names from dead accounts without issue or mass complaining.

The OP is trying t do 4 or 5 letter names in a almost 9 year old game it is just as silly as xXxLegolassexXx.

So the one your responding to is not the one being stupid here bud.

So how long should an account be inactive before being declared dead?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Linken.6345 said:

The OP is trying t do 4 or 5 letter names in a almost 9 year old game it is just as silly as xXxLegolassexXx.

So the one your responding to is not the one being stupid here bud.

So how long should an account be inactive before being declared dead?

Also yummy necro, when theres another thread on this exact topic here, not even off the front page xD

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Standish.7510 said:

What a stupid, braindead thing to say.  Where did you get information that OP is using LOTR names?  Grow up.  The OP had a legitimate complaint: it IS disappointing when you keep trying different uncommon names and all of them are not available.  You can disagree with OP but do it respectfully.   And many online games do purge names from dead accounts without issue or any mass complaining ensuing.

There's 12 pages in this thread from 2019 and you singled out my post to reply to - your first and only reply on the forums apparently.

Should I feel honored or stalked? 

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 4
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

Also yummy necro, when theres another thread on this exact topic here, not even off the front page xD

Cough here I thought it was the same thread just renamed 🙂

Edit

I fell for the necro.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

There's 12 pages in this thread from 2019 and you singled out my post to reply to - your first and only reply on the forums apparently.

Should I feel honored or stalked? 

Neither; just "ridiculus."  😎

Yours was "singled out" because it was the stupidest one the page.

Edited by Standish.7510
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

54 minutes ago, Standish.7510 said:

Neither; just "ridiculus."  😎

Yours was "singled out" because it was the stupidest one the page.

Since you didnt acknowledge it, let me reiterate:

In a thread that was started in 2019. How did you even find this as the target for your very first post?

Also the people responding before me is literally saying the same things.

But I guess that xXLegolasXx hit a particular nerve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Since you didnt acknowledge it, let me reiterate:

In a thread that was started in 2019. How did you even find this as the target for your very first post?

Also the people responding before me is literally saying the same things.

Maybe they are an alt of the OP, just joined the forums on that post above and that was their first comment xD

Seems odd to be outraged about such a thing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

This was the thread I was looking at?  It's called "search."  TBH, I didn't even look at the dates.  Besides, 2019 is only 2 years ago.  I was scrolling down, saw your post, and thought it was stupid enough to call out -- irrespective of timeline.  Try not to take it personally.

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

It did?  Aww; don't worry.  There are other bad names you can pick.

2 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

And answer the question about when an account is considered dead please.

That depends on the game's metrics for player engagement.  There is no hard and fast rule; some games have different timelines or #reminders depending on how the active community is.  It's up to the developer how to implement but it isn't an inherently bad idea. Shooting people down for bringing it up seems childish. And no, I have no idea who the OP is.  It doesn't look like they ever responded to this thread a single time after starting it, so it isn't really about them.

Edited by Standish.7510
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Standish.7510 said:

You necro'd a thread that'd been inactive for over year to insult someone over a two year old comment.  All while the subject matter already has a new thread on the front page.  My dude, YOU are the ridiculous one.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1