With the focus on Soulbeast, did we forget about Holo?

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@mortrialus.3062 said:I did the math on this a while ago and yeah, while Healing Turret has always been overturned it's actually shocking how over tuned it is.

To preface this, healing skills tend to come in a handful of basic models. In intense fights you can expect to have to be activating your healing skill close to on cooldown depending on the situation, so you look at the healing the skill provides divided by the cooldown to determine the Healing Per Second. You can also expect heals to provide less self healing in exchange for splashing heals out to your allies as a general principal. If you know the game you can skip the next section down to where I start dissecting Healing Turret itself.

• On the bottom tend to be heals that also do damage in and of themselves or heavily facilitate damage through something like reducing cooldowns, or some other extremely obvious combat utility like Block. These include Arcane Brilliance, Enchanted Daggers, Signet of Vampirism, Signet of the Ether, Bloodfiend, Shelter. They' provide deliberately under tuned healing per second as a result of them being balanced with their theoretical damage utility in mind. They tend to range between 120-200 healing per second.
  • Next up tend to be general purpose healing skills that are good in nearly every situation and are instant active heals with minimal requirements. These include Withdraw, To The Limit, Signet of Mercy, Glyph of Elemental Harmony, Mirror, Hide in Shadows. They're very pop and forget, very forgiving to use. They tend to range between 200-280 Healing Per Second. Healing Turret actually falls into this category, but we'll get back to that.
  • Next up tend to be heals that happen over longer periods of time, gradually. These include Troll Unguent(339 hps), False Oasis(324 hps), Healing Signet(344 hps), Medic Gyro (281 hps but also heals team), Well of Blood (282 hps but also heals team). They're tuned to have higher healing per second as a result of being gradual healing over time. These tend to range between 280 and peak out at 344 with warrior's Healing Signet.
  • And finally you have healing skills with very specific requirements or costs to getting the most out of them. These are typically the most powerful heals when used correctly by a serious margin, as their costs or requirements can be considerably more tricky and costly in the context of a fight. These include A.E.D., Defiant Stance and Infuse the Light, Natural Healing, Litany of Wrath and Blood Reckoning, Ether Feast, Skelk Venom, Mantra of Restoration if you include the full channel. The Healing Per Second is very high, the best in the game usually, often reaching 400-500 HPS or more, even incalculable levels of healing per second in theory.
  • Now onto Healing Turret itself.

If you just account for the healing, the regeneration, the over charge healing and regeneration, and the only benefit from the field being Detonate Healing Turret, which even beginner Engineers who don't understand the value of the field are going to get, it adds up to 7400 on a 20 second cooldown.

2520+390+2520+650+1,320 (blast) = 7400

7400 healing on a 20 second cooldown is 370 healing per second.

This out performs all of the gradual healing skills while still being an instant acting healing skill. And we haven't even properly factored in the benefit of the field. It's trivial, between jumpshot and Holographic Shockwave and Holo Leap for a holosmith to not at least get 1-2 finishers out of this heal every time. I mean heck, what's the first thing a holosmith is going to do once they heal up? They're going to go into photon forge and reengage 3>5>2>, 90% of the time. That's another 1,320 or 2,640 added on top of the healing skill. Now we're looking at potentially 436 healing per second or 502 healing per second. That's mental. That's better than Natural Healing with none of the downsides like removing all your boons. That's almost as good as A.E.D. (554 healing per second) with none of the unreliability or need for prediction.

Even if you completely removed the field so that they can't get a blast finisher from the turret itself it's still over tuned for what it is at 304 healing per second. That's better than any other fast pop healing skill like that even still. And it cleanses conditions. And it splashes out heals to your allies and gives them a field to leap and blast in too.

And that's just how much Healing Turret is over tuned. It's always been this way. There's a reason why you never ever see Holosmiths run Elixir H, or Coolant Blast despite those being very fine heals well tuned for what they are. It's all right there, in the math for everyone.

And we haven't even talked about the Toolbelt, which is nice 1,158 healing in regeneration and another Water Field to leap and blast in, or Heat Therapy which is very, very, strong and with vent exhaust turns your dodge rolls into 786 heals, or Compounding Chemicals (36 health per boon received) which adds up to a ton of healing when Holosmiths and Scrappers average something like 7 boons per second. It's why when you fight a holosmith you might be able to dodge all of their abilities, their CC, their burst damage, and then counter burst him back for most of their health, but then have to deal with him being immediately full health again without having to completely disengage from the fight they way a lot of builds would have to. Often 2-3 times until either they finally make a big enough mistake to die or they eventually wear you down and kill you.

Serious question: Does Sage's SD Weaver even have this level of ability to instantly heal to full on the level of a Holosmith? Does Mender's SD Weaver?

Sage weaver is paper and has very weak heal,

1. This weaver lives as long as has protective skills (4 evades, some CC and small barrier), push him non-stop 20 seconds then he will diebest tactic is to push without burst, and as soon as he will have everything on CD - burst him easily.

2. Another option is just to freeze him, then his heal will be non existing.

3. Also CC/stun is easy way to kill weaver considering lack of stun breaks in weaver builds (good for war, revenant, etc), stun and burst = you win

4. Fire Sage weaver has lack of conditions removal, so any condi-bomb build kills him easily.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"Moirg.7560" said:Stupid literal "supersoldier" class that has EVERYTHING. Class has every single offensive utility in the game, ridiculous sustain, boons, stealth, hard cc tied into burst. All able to be managed by a 3 year old.

It's stupid and out of control and a nerf to anything in their toolkit would be a good start. This nonsense is the kind of imbalance that results in unenjoyable gameplay and leads to people quitting.

You forgot:
  • Reveal
  • Full heals itself like a Druid, without running any heal stat

If anything, it needs its heal potential dropped down to 3/4ths of what it is now, at the least.

They have like 15k health mate. That's literally 1 Spin to win from a Reaper.

@Dirame.8521 said:

@"Moirg.7560" said:Stupid literal "supersoldier" class that has EVERYTHING. Class has every single offensive utility in the game, ridiculous sustain, boons, stealth, hard cc tied into burst. All able to be managed by a 3 year old.

It's stupid and out of control and a nerf to anything in their toolkit would be a good start. This nonsense is the kind of imbalance that results in unenjoyable gameplay and leads to people quitting.

You forgot:
  • Reveal

If anything, it needs its heal potential dropped down to 3/4ths of what it is now, at the least.

"It's unfair to nerf holosmiths when reapers exist somewhere... out in the distance someplace.... idk never seen them but they're there!"

@mortrialus.3062 said:

You forgot:
  • Reveal

"It's unfair to nerf holosmiths when reapers exist somewhere... out in the distance someplace.... idk never seen them but they're there!"

If Holosmiths were uncounterably broken(like Mirage was and still can be), I would agree to a nerf but if a Core Necro or even core engie can make a holo look like small fry, I don't know what to say to you. It may just be a they got you with a quick burst or something?

And really, that's all they have, a quick burst. Survive that burst and watch them flop into run away mode.

It would be nice to know what classes y'all are playing so it is easier to identify why you have a hard time with them.

@Dirame.8521 said:

You forgot:
  • Reveal

If Holosmiths were uncounterably broken(like Mirage was and still can be), I would agree to a nerf but if a Core Necro or even core engie can make a holo look like small fry, I don't know what to say to you. It may just be a they got you with a quick burst or something?

And really, that's all they have, a quick burst. Survive that burst and watch them flop into run away mode.

What run away mode? They're going to pop either the Photon Wall or Toss Elixir S, heal to full and be right back in your face charging you. I've already done the math on just how over powered just one aspect of the meta holosmith's sustain is.

That's the thing with meta holosmith, they're rush you hard. And you can avoid it, sure. And you can counter attack in between that, sure. Maybe even burst them down to 25% of their health.

But their ability to resustain and self healing is absolutely over the top. They'll heal to full and have many ways to help ensure they can pull that off, then be back in your face with immense pressure again. And they'll jack hammer you as many times as they need until they either screw up badly enough for you to kill them or they eventually just outpace your cooldowns because their cooldowns are significantly lower and their healing is significantly higher.

@mortrialus.3062 said:Serious question: Does Sage's SD Weaver even have this level of ability to instantly heal to full on the level of a Holosmith? Does Mender's SD Weaver?

No, it doesn't. Holo is just a 1,5 Weaver class, outranking it in every single way. Outranging (Shockwave is 600, while Weave Self is 360, same goes with leap against flame uprising, sometimes bugged natural frenzy range vs blitz, not even mentioning rifle outside PF), outdamaging (I think i dont have to explain this one), outsustaining (Holo can be perfectly fine without even looking at healing power stat and massively healing without even need to stop DPSing because of going into water rotation like ele needs to, try doing same while playing Weaver, go ahead), outhitboxing (Holo hitboxes and hit range is sometimes hillarious compared to Weaver) etc. etc.Good holo will always be on winning ground against good weaver, at best it will be stalemate. The only thing that Weaver has and holo doesn't is blink ability: leap (hehehe, with 15s cd) and flash (40s cd).Honestly, im playing this class solely because I like the design and that it is in niche. Otherwise wouldn't even consider picking it over holo, lol.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

You forgot:
  • Reveal

What run away mode? They're going to pop either the Photon Wall or Toss Elixir S, heal to full and be right back in your face charging you. I've already done the math on just how over powered just one aspect of the meta holosmith's sustain is.

That's the thing with meta holosmith, they're rush you hard. And you can avoid it, sure. And you can counter attack in between that, sure. Maybe even burst them down to 25% of their health.

But their ability to resustain and self healing is absolutely over the top. They'll heal to full and have many ways to help ensure they can pull that off, then be back in your face with immense pressure again. And they'll jack hammer you as many times as they need until they either screw up badly enough for you to kill them or they eventually just outpace your cooldowns because their cooldowns are significantly lower and their healing is significantly higher.

Oh come on, you're over exaggerating. As one who as played Prot Holo quite extensively, they definitely cannot heal to full. The calculation you did, and please correct me if I'm wrong, was for the Holo to use his blast finisher skills in combo with HT. And let me tell you, no Holo worth their salt would come back to fight you unless they have those off cooldown.

@Dirame.8521 said:

You forgot:
  • Reveal

Oh come on, you're over exaggerating. As one who as played Prot Holo quite extensively, they definitely cannot heal to full. The calculation you did, and please correct me if I'm wrong, was for the Holo to use his blast finisher skills in combo with HT. And let me tell you, no Holo worth their salt would come back to fight you unless they have those off cooldown.

How have you played prot Holo extensively, while still saying core engineer can destroy you?

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

You forgot:
  • Reveal

How have you played prot Holo extensively, while still saying core engineer can destroy you?

Prot Holo beats Core Engie Condi builds specifically because of the constant cleansing. I don't know about power though. I realized a good chain CC can stop a Prot Holo in his tracks so a power build has a better chance.

But the Meta Holo build; Elixir Rifle can be beaten by Core Engi Condi builds. Power Builds would also need good chain CC and smart plays but, they can also win against them. It'll just be a lot harder.

@Dirame.8521 said:

You forgot:
  • Reveal

I literally have the math. Its right up there. You can literly scroll up and see it.

I have caculations with no field interaction at all, only Detonate Healing Turret, Detonate plus one finisher, and 2 finisher. And i have direct comparisons between most other healing skills of similar caliber.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

You forgot:
  • Reveal

As if 40,000 health would mean that your character was indestructible, even if its heal potential sucked and it had no defensive skills. @Dirame.8521 You should talk to a few Reapers about that, see how it works out for them when a DPS Soulbeast targest them with Sic Em.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

You forgot:
  • Reveal

As if 40,000 health would mean that your character was indestructible, even if its heal potential sucked and it had no defensive skills. @Dirame.8521 You should talk to a few Reapers about that, see how it works out for them when a DPS Soulbeast targest them with Sic Em.

I can answer that!

It's bad, so... so.... very bad!

@mortrialus.3062 said:

You forgot:
  • Reveal

I literally have the math. Its right up there. You can literly scroll up and see it.

I have caculations with no field interaction at all, only Detonate Healing Turret, Detonate plus one finisher, and 2 finisher. And i have direct comparisons between most other healing skills of similar caliber.

So 7k health is a full heal? They heal a lot more than others, I can agree with you on that but do they really heal to their full complete health? That part is exaggeration.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:Holo still needs to be toned down.

What don't they have?

I don't know, but I do know what they have.
  • Great healing
  • great armor
  • great mobility
  • great damage
  • invuln
  • stealth
  • boon fart extraordinaire
  • multi foe sustainability
  • unblockable
  • blocks
  • superspeed (same trait drops movement impede like thief grandmasters, even tho its mid tier)
  • stability and stability access
  • mega might stacking
  • They are also CC machines.
  • oh and then they got photon forge

I mean, c'mon....

It also has reveal.

It literally has everything that every other class has.

Non-projectile ranged attacks.

Blunderbuss. 900 range, can't even be line of sighted.

I figured somebody would bring that up. That or flamethrower.

It's not designed for range. The skill emphasizes being as close to the target as possible -- the difference is the cone CAN reach that far, but it's not optimal play.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

For example, we can only reveal if we have scrapper + sneak gyro.

Core and Holo have revealed. It's a very common pick, too.

Generally speaking, you can't trigger that trait at will. You have to CC a stealthed target for it to work.

@toxic.3648 said:

@Vagrant.7206 said:For example, we can only reveal if we have scrapper + sneak gyro. But only unblockable if we have holo + prime light beam.

mate im beginning to question if u even play engi by this point. lock on in tools is reveal and toolkit 5 , elixir gun 4 , throw mine are all unblockable

The only unblockable people have been complaining about is Prime Light Beam. Don't play coy.

@Dirame.8521 said:

You forgot:
  • Reveal

So 7k health is a full heal? They heal a lot more than others, I can agree with you on that but do they really heal to their full complete health? That part is exaggeration.

It's a lot more health, very quickly, than any other class gets without heals that require extreme circumstances like Herald's Infuse Light. Mathematically it's better than other similar heals by 30-40% without any investment in Healing Power statwise. And that's before you start accounting for Engineers who are decent enough to toss a jump shot, or a holo leap or holographic shockwave as they reengage you in the fight. And before you start accounting for it splashing heals on allies and thus deserves lower self healing, and before you realize it also cleanses conditions, and before you realize it also does damage.

A mediocre holo is getting more healing with much less restrictions from Healing Turret than any other profession. A good holo is wringing 10k from Healing Turret every time they need to. And yeah, at 30% remaining health 10k is indeed a full heal.

@Dirame.8521 said:

You forgot:
  • Reveal

between healing turret + toolbelt and leaps netting u +12k heal ez with little waste of cooldowns (holo 2 is always off cd) heat therapy,compounding chemicals and the regen/conversion to regen the healing is retarded on holo xDi would nerf the healing and leave dmg intact since thats all l2p issue tbh with the amount of flashy animations telling ur enemy to DODGE

@Burnfall.9573 said:

What happens in wvw happens in pvp

Only if you ignore all of the buffs you can have in WvW.

WvW allows food, monuments, and mounts. It also doesn't discriminate by skill level, which makes it really hard to tell the real matchup of something based on video edits.

@"mortrialus.3062" said:--snip--

I'll see your rant and raise you a Mending. Please, "do the math".

Your criticism of healing turret is predicated on the skill in isolation. In isolation, it certainly seems overtuned. But you need to consider the context of a build and the gameplay around it.

For example, we don't have a z-axis teleport, nor do we have a mobility skill that is instantaneous or with built-in evade frames. We can't easily escape fights without being specifically designed for it, because we are one of the slower classes. The result is that you need to be tankier, need to have more healing, to compensate for the lack of mobility/evade frames.

Compare to say mesmer, which has some of the weakest heals in the game. But it has all sorts of access to evade frames, z-axis instant teleports, and more.

@"Shiyo.3578" said:"Jack of all trades, master of all" will and can not EVER be balanced in PvP.

TBH the most annoying part of holo is it's ranged damage. Please gut it's ranged damage so you can at least run away from this god mode monster.

Are you talking about photon blitz, rifle, or prime light beam?

@mortrialus.3062 said:

You forgot:
  • Reveal

It's a
lot more
health, very quickly, than
any other
class gets without heals that require extreme circumstances like Herald's Infuse Light. Mathematically it's better than other similar heals by 30-40% without any investment in Healing Power statwise. And that's before you start accounting for Engineers who are decent enough to toss a jump shot, or a holo leap or holographic shockwave as they reengage you in the fight. And before you start accounting for it splashing heals on allies and thus deserves lower self healing, and before you realize it also cleanses conditions, and before you realize it also does damage.

A mediocre holo is getting more healing with much less restrictions from Healing Turret than any other profession. A good holo is wringing 10k from Healing Turret every time they need to. And yeah, at 30% remaining health 10k is indeed a full heal.

They have at least 15-20k health. 10k would only be 75-50% of their health. But hey, you have a point about the heal being strong so I'll leave you to it. Let Anet do what it wills.

@Vagrant.7206 said:The only unblockable people have been complaining about is Prime Light Beam. Don't play coy. // Generally speaking, you can't trigger that trait at will. You have to CC a stealthed target for it to work.

thats because u werent clear on what u meant. and again u are wrong on the reveal. u can HIT a stealthed target to reveal AND CC them to get a reveal. basically 2 reveals in 1 trait. with this im referring to my earlier post again

mate im beginning to question if u even play engi by this point.

@toxic.3648 said:

@"Vagrant.7206" said:The only unblockable people have been complaining about is Prime Light Beam. Don't play coy. // Generally speaking, you can't trigger that trait at will. You have to CC a stealthed target for it to work.

thats because u werent clear on what u meant. and again u are wrong on the reveal. u can HIT a stealthed target to reveal AND CC them to get a reveal. basically 2 reveals in 1 trait. with this im referring to my earlier post again

mate im beginning to question if u even play engi by this point.

"Striking a foe while you're stealthed triggers Invisible Analysis."

Is that what you mean?