As a guild leader, I cannot email more than two members within x time... Its time to fix some things

Anet, I know you don't give guild love anymore, but for the love of god... at least let officers/guild leaders message their members! There is a real problem when I cannot message more than two members at a time. I realize that it prevents gold sellers from doing their thing, but can we make this like guild specific or something? Maybe we can authenticate accounts? There has to be an answer for this besides endless frustration. Also, while we're on the topic of guilds, please update guild missions. We need new missions, different / new rewards for them, and better toolkits to keep our members engaged, which ultimately helps keep Anet alive.

Leafstorm, Leader of Lion Knight.470+ PvX _ 5+ years

Speaking of messages limit, in our guild wtnf we have the habit of giving away dyes to other members when we already unlocked them. When you have 15 dyes to give with each one a different player who want the dye it become really annoying and frustating and that very fast: Just sent the first mail with two dyes and already have the message "excessive messaging, wait before sending a mail again" the same thing with chat when publishing dyes name/code....

@Tzarakiel.7490 said:Guilds need a lot of quality of life and communication updates. Unfortunately nothing has happened to guilds since HoT. It feels like Anet has completely given up on guild features.

Totally that, at least they still add little decos in several Ls4 episodes map but it feels like it's made by a little independant collaborative of devs not a big team. The quality of guild hall dropped too, in gilded hollow even higher places are interesting whereas at that time mounts weren't available! Lost precipice is okay and windswept has no efforts put in it. I really think we need a great update. More treks more mission types, increase decos limit per area, racial decos, new rewards. Why not like bl keys or nodes for high ammount of commendations 75 or more? Even SCRIBE 500 for premade empty houses and decos for our home instance! Possibility to have our nodes in guild hall? Possibility are endless: Dungeon decos... Fractal decos... Raid decos.... Quests around the world to unlock new features.... locations.... dj golem....

+1 to this, in general though not only for guild purposes, can we have like a 5 message max instead of 2? Because I was just messing around with some strangers running around Amnoon in tonic form (costume brawl) then for a giggle I turned into the wintersday dolyak and when I got hit I thought it would be a fun idea to drop gifts, like the event... all I wanted to do was mail some rare unidentified gear but I could only send to 2 people. It was a real buzzkill.

@"hugo.4705" said:Speaking of messages limit, in our guild wtnf we have the habit of giving away dyes to other members when we already unlocked them. When you have 15 dyes to give with each one a different player who want the dye it become really annoying and frustating and that very fast: Just sent the first mail with two dyes and already have the message "excessive messaging, wait before sending a mail again" the same thing with chat when publishing dyes name/code....

To get around this I will sometimes send multiple dyes to one person and tell them to pass along the extras to who they go to.

The message suppression system is generally ridiculous. My favorite is getting suppressed for changing my LFG description too quickly (ie, when trying to organize a raid pug and needing to change what roles/specs I'm looking for in the LFG), despite doing so only generating a message to myself and my squad members.

@"kharmin.7683" said:This has been requested in the past, more than once. Seems like ANet likes things the way they are, else they would have changed it well before now.

How many times did we see, "Can we have raids?" or "...mounts?" or "...build templates?" It seems there are times that ANet moves at the speed of late.

• 2 months later...

The mail system is a bit of a bummer in general, but trying to manage a guild or other larger group is made even more difficult by its limitations. Chat suppression does have its purpose, but it doesn't always seem to correctly line up with the way people actually chat in Guild Wars 2. Perhaps this issue will be revisited by the ArenaNet team as they review quality of life changes; better late than never!

In the meantime, I strongly encourage guilds to start their own Enjin forums or Discord servers/chatrooms. Both are free services that make it easy to keep in touch. Discord in particular is nice because of its many communication features and customization, and it can either be accessed through a browser or downloaded onto a PC or phone as an application.

Resources like these are extremely helpful for coordinating with people even when they're offline, as messages wait there until a player can come home/online to read them, and starting private chats or managing guild moderation is as easy as starting a chat and dragging the necessary people into it so you can all work through an issue.

We have discord with over 300 of our members that have joined it. Its a nice suggestion however, Discord does not make up for the in-game email system as you cant send items and other things. Also, being able mass PM guild members is a huge need while they're playing. Not everyone runs Discord while they play as it can drag down FPS. The fix isn't looking to another service - its just fixing the issue.

Why talk about a fix when things are working as designed.The measure is in place to fight RMT (a.k.a. goldsellers). These people are a burden for the community as for the spam they are causing and cause they are the number one reason accounts get hacked. For Arenanet they are a burden as they monetise their game instead of themself. So there is a mutual interest to fight it.The result is a burden indeed. But to me, the cause is more important and the annoyance is not as much since I understood the background.

• 1 year later...

@mercury ranique.2170 said:Why talk about a fix when things are working as designed.The measure is in place to fight RMT (a.k.a. goldsellers). These people are a burden for the community as for the spam they are causing and cause they are the number one reason accounts get hacked. For Arenanet they are a burden as they monetise their game instead of themself. So there is a mutual interest to fight it.The result is a burden indeed. But to me, the cause is more important and the annoyance is not as much since I understood the background.

That is fine. Make it to where guild leaders / officers can msg people in their own guild all they want via DM. Like, if you're part of X guild, that measure no longer applies to everyone in that guild. If gold sellers are a problem, then trust guilds to be able to moderate their guild and kick them out. Easy

@AgentMoore.9453 said:The mail system is a bit of a bummer in general, but trying to manage a guild or other larger group is made even more difficult by its limitations. Chat suppression does have its purpose, but it doesn't always seem to correctly line up with the way people actually chat in Guild Wars 2. Perhaps this issue will be revisited by the ArenaNet team as they review quality of life changes; better late than never!

In the meantime, I strongly encourage guilds to start their own Enjin forums or Discord servers/chatrooms. Both are free services that make it easy to keep in touch. Discord in particular is nice because of its many communication features and customization, and it can either be accessed through a browser or downloaded onto a PC or phone as an application.

Resources like these are extremely helpful for coordinating with people even when they're offline, as messages wait there until a player can come home/online to read them, and starting private chats or managing guild moderation is as easy as starting a chat and dragging the necessary people into it so you can all work through an issue.

We have a discord. However, when you have 400 or more people in a discord, most people mute it and just watch for notifications or scroll through channels when bored. This is not the fix.

@Leafstorm.1349 said:

@mercury ranique.2170 said:Why talk about a fix when things are working as designed.The measure is in place to fight RMT (a.k.a. goldsellers). These people are a burden for the community as for the spam they are causing and cause they are the number one reason accounts get hacked. For Arenanet they are a burden as they monetise their game instead of themself. So there is a mutual interest to fight it.The result is a burden indeed. But to me, the cause is more important and the annoyance is not as much since I understood the background.

That is fine. Make it to where guild leaders / officers can msg people in their own guild all they want via DM. Like, if you're part of X guild, that measure no longer applies to everyone in that guild. If gold sellers are a problem, then trust guilds to be able to moderate their guild and kick them out. Easy

And what would stop a goldseller to form a guild and use the priveleges to bypass the meassures in place?? or worse use hacked accounts to destroy entire guilds!No thank you!!

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

And what would stop a goldseller to form a guild and use the priveleges to bypass the meassures in place?? or worse use hacked accounts to destroy entire guilds!No thank you!!

Those concerns don't seem very likely to me. Firstly, who would actually join a gold seller's guild? Once it becomes obvious that your new guild exists to spam you with gold seller messages then who would stick around?

Secondly, if an officer's account had been stolen they can pretty much strip the guild of valuables anyway. The guild master would have to demote them ASAP, hopefully before they do too much damage. If the guild master's account is stolen then the guild is going to be quickly ransacked and destroyed anyway. A little message spam would be the least of your worries in either case and would hardly be in the best interests of the RMT spammer to begin with: "hey we stole all your guild's stuff but please buy gold off us!"

@Pifil.5193 said:

Those concerns don't seem very likely to me. Firstly, who would actually join a gold seller's guild? Once it becomes obvious that your new guild exists to spam you with gold seller messages then who would stick around?

Secondly, if an officer's account had been stolen they can pretty much strip the guild of valuables anyway. The guild master would have to demote them ASAP, hopefully before they do too much damage. If the guild master's account is stolen then the guild is going to be quickly ransacked and destroyed anyway. A little message spam would be the least of your worries in either case and would hardly be in the best interests of the RMT spammer to begin with: "hey we stole all your guild's stuff but please buy gold off us!"

I would suggest looking into how gold sellers work, how they gain the gold they sell and what kind of people use their services. Cause yea they would use guilds to bypass any anti spam blocks. This is not the place to discuss in detail how they do their bad things.

What? Then they just leave that guild or dont join it... Like, imagine a gold seller having a guild and you join, then you figure out its a gold seller. What do you do? BIG BRAIN MOVE! /gquit

I would suggest looking into how gold sellers work, how they gain the gold they sell and what kind of people use their services. Cause yea they would use guilds to bypass any anti spam blocks. This is not the place to discuss in detail how they do their bad things.

How would they use guilds to bypass anti spam blocks? Like, you're either in the guild or you're not. If you're in the guild, then you can just leave it after you get spammed. Easy

@Leafstorm.1349 said:

How would they use guilds to bypass anti spam blocks? Like, you're either in the guild or you're not. If you're in the guild, then you can just leave it after you get spammed. Easy

As said, please look info the way goldsellers work. They do a lot more then sending spam messages around. I explained before that I do not think it is appropriate to discuss their methods in public as it might give people ideas. I guess you have to trust me (or actually arenanet) that these measures are in place for very very good reasons. Just that you do not get it, doesn't make the reasons less or the arguments behind them void. It is needed to fight a very big evil in this game.

@Leafstorm.1349 said:

@AgentMoore.9453 said:The mail system is a bit of a bummer in general, but trying to manage a guild or other larger group is made even more difficult by its limitations. Chat suppression does have its purpose, but it doesn't always seem to correctly line up with the way people actually chat in Guild Wars 2. Perhaps this issue will be revisited by the ArenaNet team as they review quality of life changes; better late than never!

We have a discord. However, when you have 400 or more people in a discord, most people mute it and just watch for notifications or scroll through channels when bored. This is not the fix.

I have to ask: what are you trying to contact your guild members about where the message needs to get through when they're not looking at the message of the day, guild chat, discord or even discord notifications?

If you're looking for people to join in with an activity and they're currently ignoring all your existing channels of communication what makes you think making the message slightly harder to ignore is going to make them join in? Won't they just ignore the mail as well? Or read it, delete it and carry on with what they're trying to do?

I agree that the current mail limit is overly restrictive and it would be nice to raise it slightly for things like mailing out prizes after running a competition, but I don't understand the suggestion that guild leaders need to be able to mail everyone in their guild at once. If I've chosen not to check the existing communication channels to see what my guild is doing having the messages sent via mail instead is not going to change my decision. If it happens too frequently I'll leave the guild to escape the spam.