Which ingame titles do you use the most and why?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@joneirikb.7506 said:

@"Warlord.9082" said:God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals. The only title that is actually hard to get.

Ultimate Dominator would like to have a word with you

I'd say that UD gotten a bad rep, after the whole "OSfarm" thing, most people I've played with in WvW tend to see the UD title as a sham. Basically more times than not, seeing someone with UD in WvW they farmed it in OS, and doesn't have the skill to back it up.

I'm approaching mine. Been a long haul. But I see it as not very hard to get. It basically requires you to get hits on as many targets as possible in WvW and hope they end up as kills. It is a satisfying title to get though. For those who didn't do the OSfarm my hat is off to all the time you put in. And dead match ups can really slow you down. 16k to go.

@The Angle of Deth.2985 said:

@Warlord.9082 said:God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals. The only title that is actually hard to get.

Time consuming. Not hard ^^

Have you gotten 'Survivor'? I'm a GWAMM. You sweat that survivor title out.

Back before they changed survivor so that it was possible to still get it even if you died I know people who got it in a few play sessions solo, others who got it while their heroes did all of the work, and others whose friends and guildies shielded them from all risk of failure.

One of the easier titles in my opinion.

Well for me its God walking since I have it on 3 characters in GW1, but its PVE. Since I am bad at PVP I have more respect for how devoted you had to be for the Dragon title in GW1. Now in GW2 there is God of Fractals which if you get it gives your characters advantages you never had before. Kinda like a pay to win type deal only with that you have to earn those advantages. You cannot buy God or Goddess of Fractals so no pay to win just using it as a comparison. GW1 just had titles you max 30 or more you got GWAMM, simple. GW2 has achievements you complete an achievement line it may get you a title but its not the same.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:On my main I use Exalted Achiever, waiting to get my Furious Achiever.On other characters I use titles that "fit" them.

@Dami.5046 said:Who who said there's no skill never did Aurora Glade mission Hardmode.
a -hem

Soloed it with heroes back in the day, that wasn't even the hardest mission in the game. Finishing Winds of Change on hard mode WAS a real challenge, but not required for GWAMM.

Maybe this game needs something along the lines.

Achievement reward titles are the equivalents to GWAMM, they take much more time and are much harder to acquire (Not talking about the unavailable ones either)

@"The Angle of Deth.2985" said:Have you gotten 'Survivor'? I'm a GWAMM. You sweat that survivor title out.

You can "earn" the survivor title while afk. Binge watch a series while "earning" it.

Just because time and changes to the ways some titles worked in GW1 made them easier for someone to complete in, say, 2011, that doesn't mean a title wasn't a difficult task in 2006. "Survivor" is the perfect example of that--a completely different title after the introduction of heroes, and a completely different title AGAIN after they altered the title to reset at death and therefore be possible to complete on any toon without having to reroll it every time you died. Same with various hard mode missions, etc.

You coming along and saying that GWAMM was never about skill would be like someone coming along after all the hard titles are nerfed in GW2 in 2029 and there's been power creep of a dozen years and many living story episodes with new achievement points and then saying, "'Furious Achiever' is just grind/gold sink, it isn't difficult." Yeah, in 2029 that'll be true, but you don't know whether or not any specific title required skill at the time the person completed it.

Honestly, the significant difference between the GWAMM title and achievement point titles in GW2 is the perpetuity of GW2: "Furious Achiever" and whatever may come after will not require one to complete any specific title. GWAMM had a finite number of achievements that were possible to max, and fewer than that were feasible to max (PvP titles were not feasible, generally). That meant that one had to figure out what they could actually do, and they had to commit to things they'd find hard to do somewhere, that they didn't know for sure they were capable of doing, and yes, some of those things required real skill, such as "Survivor," at least if you completed it when it was new. Because of its design and the fact that there's no GW3 looming in the future to limit GW2's reach, there's very little GW2 can do to compete with the monumental task that GWAMM was, and the sense of satisfaction that people who got it feel, generally speaking. In GW2 you just have to wait around till more achievement points get released, then grind them out. (Sure, the game will end someday, but people can't really plan around that like they had to with GW1.)

@"Bridget Morrigan.1752" said:Honestly, the significant difference between the GWAMM title and achievement point titles in GW2 is the perpetuity of GW2: "Furious Achiever" and whatever may come after will not require one to complete any specific title.

This is where you are wrong. In order to get the latest title available you need to complete almost everything in the game. You can't just wait for them to add more achievement points to grind, in order to get the top available title you must finish most achievements available. By the time you wait to "grind" them out, the next title will become available for those that actually finished most parts of the game.

This is what you can use for GWAMM:https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kind_of_a_Big_Deal

The mission, exploration and skill hunter titles have some hard missions to complete, and some hard zones to vanquish, but even those are absolutely nothing compared to Raid CMs or Fractal CMs in GW2. Cartographer is just a massive grind

affiliation ranks are all a massive grind, activity titles are all a massive grind, PVP titles are mostly a massive grind, to the point that they aren't worth it anywayThere are 43 titles, excluding the PVP titles it's 38, you can get GWAMM by completing the grindfests, no skill required.

What was so "monumental" exactly? Survivor and Legendary Defender of Ascalon on their release? You didn't even need those to get GWAMM.I can understand how those that got it want to make it look something other than a massive grind, but GWAMM is just that, a massive brainless grind.

I usually just wear the rarest thing I have, according to efficiency. I see the whole fashion aspect of the game as a little absurd and titles are just another part of fashion to me. That's nothing against ppl who are into it, it's just not my thing. Also it's just fun to keep track of what's rare, as it is not usually based on what's difficult or expensive but more on what's not popular ;p

My main is a scholarly adventurer, she uses "Archaeologist" at the moment, though she swaps around frequently.Golemancer Clax, her engineer brother, uses "Toymaker."My human Dragonhunter uses Sunbringer, because it fits his complicated backstory.

Most of my toons don't have titles, or just have one casually thrown on, just because there are not enough that seem to pertain to them personally. Archivist Kita really wants a 'Librarian' title, and my pyromaniac elementalist Prajix wants a fire-themed title. My Norn guardian would like something wintery. That sort of thing.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Bridget Morrigan.1752" said:Honestly, the significant difference between the GWAMM title and achievement point titles in GW2 is the perpetuity of GW2: "Furious Achiever" and whatever may come after will not require one to complete any
specific
title.

This is where you are wrong. In order to get the latest title available you need to complete almost everything in the game. You can't just wait for them to add more achievement points to grind, in order to get the top available title you must finish most achievements available. By the time you wait to "grind" them out, the next title will become available for those that actually finished most parts of the game.

This is what you can use for GWAMM:

The mission, exploration and skill hunter titles have some hard missions to complete, and some hard zones to vanquish, but even those are absolutely nothing compared to Raid CMs or Fractal CMs in GW2. Cartographer is just a massive grind

affiliation ranks are all a massive grind, activity titles are all a massive grind, PVP titles are mostly a massive grind, to the point that they aren't worth it anywayThere are 43 titles, excluding the PVP titles it's 38, you can get GWAMM by completing the grindfests, no skill required.

What was so "monumental" exactly? Survivor and Legendary Defender of Ascalon on their release? You didn't even need those to get GWAMM.I can understand how those that got it want to make it look something other than a massive grind, but GWAMM is just that, a massive brainless grind.

You could say the same about all the titles in GW2 as well. Kill 1000 of this, kill 1000 of that, big whoop! Even raids and fractals can be bought for gold so what is your real point other then to diminish the achievements of others? Nearly all titles in both games can be cheesed or purchased with enough gold, so no one is any better then anyone else.

@ShiningSquirrel.3751 said:You could say the same about all the titles in GW2 as well. Kill 1000 of this, kill 1000 of that, big whoop! Even raids and fractals can be bought for gold so what is your real point other then to diminish the achievements of others? Nearly all titles in both games can be cheesed or purchased with enough gold, so no one is any better then anyone else.

I'm not diminishing the achievements of others, it's quite the opposite. I'm reading a lot of how monumental GWAMM was and how nothing in GW2 compares with it. Isn't that diminishing the achievements of others? Or what is the point of talking about how awesome GWAMM was other than belittle everyone that got achievements in GW2? Dont' accuse me of doing what anyone that posted their love of GWAMM did already in this thread.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:You could say the same about all the titles in GW2 as well. Kill 1000 of this, kill 1000 of that, big whoop! Even raids and fractals can be bought for gold so what is your real point other then to diminish the achievements of others? Nearly all titles in both games can be cheesed or purchased with enough gold, so no one is any better then anyone else.

I'm not diminishing the achievements of others, it's quite the opposite. I'm reading a lot of how monumental GWAMM was and how nothing in GW2 compares with it. Isn't that diminishing the achievements of others? Or what is the point of talking about how awesome GWAMM was other than belittle everyone that got achievements in GW2? Dont' accuse me of doing what anyone that posted their love of GWAMM did already in this thread.

I apologize, I just read back through the thread and I had wrongly attributed some other posts as yours. The op simply asked what title people used and as usual, some had to come back with "that takes no skill" etc. Some achievements in both games take a lot of effort, some are almost giveaways but that should not diminish the fun of anyone using that title. I saw someone say cartographer was just a grind. When the community released the map packs/kits it could be done far easier, but when it was done originally without any guidance that was an achievement that was not easy to get and was far more then a grind. Same with survivor, after they changed it yes, anyone could AFK but that was not true to begin with. I just really hate new players who have no clue what they are talking about comparing what both games are like now to what they where in the beginning.

@"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:The op simply asked what title people used and as usual, some had to come back with "that takes no skill" etc.

Actually those responded to the GWAMM users talking about how much skill it required compared to anything in GW2:

God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals. The only title that is actually hard to get.Harder than anything GW2 offers.LOL, yeah right! Many of the achievements required took far more skill then anything in GW2.

They had to belittle and diminish all achievements in GW2 because their rose tinted glasses prevent them from remembering how they got GWAMM in the first place.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@ShiningSquirrel.3751 said:You could say the same about all the titles in GW2 as well. Kill 1000 of this, kill 1000 of that, big whoop! Even raids and fractals can be bought for gold so what is your real point other then to diminish the achievements of others? Nearly all titles in both games can be cheesed or purchased with enough gold, so no one is any better then anyone else.

I'm not diminishing the achievements of others, it's quite the opposite. I'm reading a lot of how monumental GWAMM was and how nothing in GW2 compares with it. Isn't that diminishing the achievements of others? Or what is the point of talking about how awesome GWAMM was other than belittle everyone that got achievements in GW2? Don't accuse me of doing what anyone that posted their love of GWAMM did already in this thread.

Your experience of GW2 and your sense of achievement in GW2 doesn't equal to anyone else opinion on that. Just because someone feels GW2 achievements are trashy, doesn't mean they are diminishing your achievements, probably because they haven't done those very few select achievements that do require some more skill in GW2 than in GW1.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:Your experience of GW2 and your sense of achievement in GW2 doesn't equal to anyone else opinion on that. Just because someone feels GW2 achievements are trashy, doesn't mean they are diminishing your achievements, probably because they haven't done those very few select achievements that do require some more skill in GW2 than in GW1.

I, and others in the previous page, simply responded to those comments about how hard GWAMM was to get, nothing more. If indeed they haven't done the hard achievements of GW2 that's all the more reason to tell them so they can search more and go get them. I'm not sure why it's so bad to call it out. As much as you don't like someone saying that GWAMM is easy, others don't like reading that GWAMM was hard, as long as some post the latter, someone will respond with the former.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Bridget Morrigan.1752" said:Honestly, the significant difference between the GWAMM title and achievement point titles in GW2 is the perpetuity of GW2: "Furious Achiever" and whatever may come after will not require one to complete any
specific
title.

That's exactly the point: the achiever titles in GW2 are temporal. They're not be a lasting accomplishment. Maybe they will be someday? But at this point they're not.

What was so "monumental" exactly? Survivor and Legendary Defender of Ascalon on their release? You didn't even need those to get GWAMM.

This is exactly my point also: when people did them and when they were hard, GWAMM didn't fully exist yet. You could only go as high as Kind of a Big Deal (5 titles). So yeah, people did them when they were hard because they had no other choice, and yeah, you shouldn't be disparaging that achievement. Other titles were added later (Life of the Party, Gamer) offered options, but those weren't available initially.

I can understand how those that got it want to make it look something other than a massive grind, but GWAMM is just that, a massive brainless grind.

The thing is, it's apparent that you got the GWAMM title, if you have it, after it became nothing but a massive grind. You don't understand the experience of getting it along the way, but only after everything was available for you to pick and choose from. That's just...not what it was like back in 2005-06. Less power creep, no heroes, no big boon or DP removing consumables. It just wasn't what you experienced.

Here's a reverse illustration: imagine that GW2 never added another title after Furious Achiever, but they added another 13k possible achievement points. If I came along in 2029 having ground out Furious Achiever in 2026 and told you, someone who in 2019 had achieved Furious Achiever, that Furious Achiever was just a massive grind and none of it was hard, wouldn't you be pissed? I realize the reason you're going after this is because you feel like the statement that nothing in GW2 will ever compare to the monumental quality of GWAMM is insulting to those who have worked all the way to Furious Achiever. And you're not wrong in that sentiment, but your conclusion, based on your own experience of grinding out GWAMM is faulty. Skill exists in both, and sentimentality exists in both. Obviously the Achiever titles in GW2 are filling for you the exact same sentiment that GWAMM filled for people of GW2, and if you stay with GW2 all the way to the end and max whatever Achiever title exists then, you're very likely to be that same guy, going on to the next game, to say, "Nothing will ever compare to GW2 Achiever!" because most completionists don't have it in them to do every game that way, and you probably won't be grinding out whatever that next game's big thing is either.

But neither you nor the guy who started this with the claim that nothing would compare to GWAMM are really right that your personal achievements require more skill than the other's personal achievements. Easier, grindier ways will always come: it is the nature of MMO's. It isn't up to GWAMMs to defend their titles any more than it is up to you to defend yours.