What is best solo character?

I started Guild Wars back on GW1. My main was my elementalist. When I started GW2 my first avatar was an elementalist. I never liked him...
I have 5 level 80 characters, and 2 open slots. I am looking for something fun for solo play. What I have now is:Human - elementalist, guardian, and ranger. Charr - revenant, and necro/minion master.

My necro minion master is my main avatar, then the ranger. The elementalist, revenant, and guardian are rarely played. They are all level 80, I just never warmed up to some of them. Since I just upgraded for the mount I got a new character slot.

What are your favorite solo characters? I am a pretty casual player, never been in a dungeon, don't know what fractals are, and not in a guild. I mostly like to explore, and do the hearts around the map. Who is good for solo monster bashing?

Necro is hands down the best solo spec in the entire game due to its crazy sustain via shroud, minions, etc. while having more than reasonable damage output and access to easy might generation. It's also versatile in its weapon choices, you can either go melee or ranged, or a hybrid of those two. Overall it's really well-rounded spec.

Warrior's propably the second best solo spec. Just like necro, it has very high sustain, but I'd say its damage can be significantly higher. Warrior has some amazing, stacking, easy-to-access damage modifiers, while being able to give himself stuff like easy 100% crit chance and quickness. But it's also a full-melee playstyle, which comes with its own disadvantages, whereas necro has none really.

I don't know what a holo build is... or mashing skills. :)

I need to play with the shroud some, I have never really figured out what it is good for.

I guess I will just hold on to the character slots and see if the next expansion has a new class? I kind of wanted to make a new avatar so I could use the level 80 boost that is clogging up my extra shared backpack space

My all time favorite is thief, just because you can ez mode almost everything in open world due to ez stealth access, good amount of dodges and high out-of-combat mobility. I also really like the playstyle of thief in open world because you can either deal a pretty substantial amount of single target damage (with almost every weapon set) while also not too shabby with AoE (shortbow). And you always have the ability to just disengage and recover.

Rev (Herald) is also pretty good but is a bit awkward with the legend+weapon swap system and energy management if you aren't used to it. You can't do anything wrong with Holo/Engineer either, it's really a jack of all trades.But if you enjoy it, Necro should be just fine as well imo. Reaper would probably my go-to spec for Necro for open world content. With staff for events/farms due to massive area coverage.

Mesmer is a love/ hate sort of class. Seems people love it or hate it, no in between. It's definitely one of the tougher classes to master. But it's also one of my favorites. Especially now, with the Mirage elite spec. Necro is the easiest for killing monsters though, especially Reaper. And the shroud serves as basically a second health bar. Getting pounded? Pop into shroud. Especially if traited right - you shroud skill 4 will heal you, others around you, and even partially rez allies, porting them to you.

When I was about as experienced with the game as you are right now, I enjoyed playing Dragonhunter (Guardian) in Open World PvE a lot. I mostly went for offensive stats with some vitality to make up for my low health and ran Mace/Shield + Sword/Focus along with traits revolving around blocking many attacks. There are further options to avoid damage, mainly through blocking projectiles but also some Blinds with Sword (Focus 4 still used to blind when I made this build).It ended up looking something like this:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRApe8dnsABFChddCmCBkdilHiS+3L+l/6XPgFALAagsE-jBjFQBr5BAYgDCQVUCeElGIUZAAOCA+TJm32fAfq/ogTAgzMxgO9DAA-eIt was nearly undefeatable in Open World PvE while still packing a decent punch on the Sword set.I was also able to defeat some champs in Orr alone with this although you have to manage your blocks carefully for that.A variant without Dragonhunter could look like this although the other traitlines work fine for the third one as well:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRApe8dlsAhChY1QwUIQQEHPEV+9mv7DHANQWe/1DYBA-jBjFQB4T9HEqMAAHBAvt/g/UiVFlgK4EA4MTMoT/wRUaYgDCwaeAAAA-e

It feels a bit slow compared to more offensive builds, partially because you have to wait for the enemy to hit into Mace 3, but it has a great juggernaut touch to it

Well I opted for a warrior. Usually the first thing I try... why did I never try it? So far I love him. Been running around the Crystal Oasis and soloing everything. Can take a beating, and puts out decent damage. Use the worm to hold point and hang back with a longbow, use the axe/shield up close. (had 2 character slots, and one level 80 boost to use).

Well your Necro is almost certainly able to handle anything in PvE. If you want an easy one to learn, it's pretty hard to mess up using a Warrior. Run up to target, hit target with weapon until it falls down, repeat. If you want something that's different and that I'm finding a lot of fun even if I don't always understand what I'm doing, try a Mesmer. It's like playing Three Card Monty with your toon and sometimes you'll lose track of which one is the real you, but I'm doing pretty well in staying alive and killing mobs.

@Tukaram.8256 said:I started Guild Wars back on GW1. My main was my elementalist. When I started GW2 my first avatar was an elementalist. I never liked him...

I have 5 level 80 characters, and 2 open slots. I am looking for something fun for solo play. What I have now is:Human - elementalist, guardian, and ranger. Charr - revenant, and necro/minion master.

My necro minion master is my main avatar, then the ranger. The elementalist, revenant, and guardian are rarely played. They are all level 80, I just never warmed up to some of them. Since I just upgraded for the mount I got a new character slot.

What are your favorite solo characters? I am a pretty casual player, never been in a dungeon, don't know what fractals are, and not in a guild. I mostly like to explore, and do the hearts around the map. Who is good for solo monster bashing?

Reaper. You want to spec your necro as a reaper.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@KidRoleplay.3615 said:Probably Queen Jennah. She has enough power to one-shot people just by pointing at them, and can not only put up a shield of invulnerability, but can do it for a long period of time AND make it large enough to defend an entire city. Definitely OP.

If she were really that powerful she could afford shoes.

But why would she do that? It's her limiter. How else would she have so easily ensnared Logan?

Necro, Ranger or Guardian, I think.

Necromancer has MM builds that outsustain anything, with the right gear.Ranger can just fiddle with the right pet, have it tank for them and heal them, or whatever, while maintaining good pressure at range.Guardian can do symbol hammer for ludicrous sustain.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

Reaper. You want to spec your necro as a reaper.

I don't know what a reaper is, but my minion master can walk through PVM like nothing. I made warrior as my new toy and he is pretty good, but he got bogged down trying to do the PoF story. My minion master breezes right through it. I am enjoying the warrior though, he just won't continue the PoF story ha ha. It is tough to solo big groups without someone helping take agro.

I wish we could hire NPC heroes like we did in Guild Wars.

Necro is good, if you want another really good and almost unkillable char try this out:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/30394/open-world-domination-mirage#latest

I have not read if the latest changes ruined the build, but before I was able to complete everything with ease using this build. And to show how good it is, I never finished anything with my mesmer before I used this.

@"aspirine.6852" said:Necro is good, if you want another really good and almost unkillable char try this out:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/30394/open-world-domination-mirage#latest

I have not read if the latest changes ruined the build, but before I was able to complete everything with ease using this build. And to show how good it is, I never finished anything with my mesmer before I used this.

I agree. This is more dominant in open world than even a Necro minion master.

@"aspirine.6852" said:Necro is good, if you want another really good and almost unkillable char try this out:

Guess I am too casual a player... I did not understand a word of that thread ha ha... I am not even sure what profession they are playing (on page 3 someone said something about mesmer?).

I played a mesmer in Guild Wars (did not like it), never tried it in Guild Wars 2. Reading about it looked more complicated than I usually like. My playstyle is a bit more laid back. When I say "casual" player, I mean very casual. :)

I did make a warrior and am having fun with him, but my minion master can outfight him still

@KidRoleplay.3615 said:Probably Queen Jennah. She has enough power to one-shot people just by pointing at them, and can not only put up a shield of invulnerability, but can do it for a long period of time AND make it large enough to defend an entire city. Definitely OP.

yeah, she's ridiculously godly, I'm beginning to suspect she's either Lyss or Ilya, and Anise the other half, being patron Goddess of Mesmers and Assassins, one is good at disguising herself and her other half, and the other kills with deadliness, silence and stealth

After 4 years of GW2, this is the system I've gravitated to over time...

Ranger for open world PvE. Although having to babysit the pet usage eventually just gets old.

Warrior for small group stuff like fractals and dungeons (I don't do raids). Also I use my warrior for Triple Trouble for the DPS.

Wvw changes for me from time to time, but mostly have used ele, guardian or necro.

I think ranger is my favorite class. If there was one class I'd want to play only and become some sort of expert of, that'd be it.

@VanHalenRules.5243 said:After 4 years of GW2, this is the system I've gravitated to over time...

Ranger for open world PvE. Although having to babysit the pet usage eventually just gets old.

Warrior for small group stuff like fractals and dungeons (I don't do raids). Also I use my warrior for Triple Trouble for the DPS.

Wvw changes for me from time to time, but mostly have used ele, guardian or necro.

I think ranger is my favorite class. If there was one class I'd want to play only and become some sort of expert of, that'd be it.

I enjoy my ranger more than my necro, but my necro survives better. The warrior is good against small groups, but my necro can outfight him too.