What comes after War Eternal?

@Dante.1763 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Eh, having the entirety of ArenaNet more or less working on Season 5 is very unlikely. They'll likely resplit into that 120/70/30 format and have 70 or so devs working on what comes after Season 5. Of course, the numbers presume the layoffs were solely people added after that AMA which worked on the other projects. But in more likelihood, they largely came from that 70.

According to this article at the time of the layoffs there were 400 people working at Arenanet:

Around 400 people work at ArenaNet

According to this article, 143 people working at Arenanet were laid off in March:

ArenaNet, the video game maker behind Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, is laying off 143 employees at its Bellevue headquarters and canceling projects.

According to LinkedIn there are 294 left working at Arenanet:
Meaning they started 2019 with about 437 employees (294 left + 143 laid off = 437)

There is a huge difference between 437 and 220, so either MO didn't include everyone, and only actual developers, or they hired so many more people between March 2016 and March 2019, but I find it unlikely that they hired so many people in just 3 years, unless those projects were complete new games that required lots of developers.

Edit: or simply the difference between the two is from the departments we, the players, don't really care about, like accounting, legal, publishing and so on, which would make no sense for MO to mention them as "developers". But half the company being in those departments?

I think the only way to tell would be to look at the numbers they had when creating GW2? if those numbers are similar to the 437 they had in march, perhaps it is plausible.

Using Waybackmachine I found out that on LinkedIn Arenanet had 51-200 employees listed (only showed ranges at that time and not numbers) in June 2012, 2 months before the release of the game. So at most 200 employees 2 months before the original game was released, and 437 people six and a half years later. Now I'm not sure if LinkedIn shows everyone, and if all employees have an account there but it's a good indicator that until early 2019 the company was growing.

Link: https://web.archive.org/web/20120625140335/https://www.linkedin.com/company/arenanet/

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

S5 will likely be covering several things for example.Taimi's illness, she might die next season unless we manage to fix that somehow ?The fallout from kralk could still be a thing.We might get some reaction to aurene acending in the first episode or 2.while kralk did not end the world in war eternal, the world is still slowly colapsing is it not ? So that will likely be expanded upon or even steps taken to solve it in s5And obviously they may be building set up for what comes after S5 like an expansion or w/e

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:You're basically comparing a hundred miles to ten thousand miles, is the issue I see. All lore implies that the DSD is not on the current in-game world map at all. And I would hardly call the shallow water that surrounds Dragonfall to be "the ocean floor". No more than I consider the ground underwater at beach "the ocean floor". And reaching far distances is part of Primordus' and especially Mordremoth's "thing" that makes them worse than the other four Elder Dragons - Primordus because he spent years spreading them throughout the Depths after awakening 200 years ago, and Mordremoth because his vines spread super fast. The other Elder Dragons can't spread minions nearly as fast.

I don't think physical distance is a border for them, Kralkatorrik was somehow able to tear his way into the mists to binge on the magic there so if their ability to sense magic isn't bound by physical limitations then it's a fair assumption to think they may be able to sense powerful sources of magic just about anywhere in the world.The only thing that's stopped them flocking to the same places is likely territory, While each dragon shares a taste for destruction.. none of them seem interested in a direct conflict with each other.. hence why Primordus waited until Mordremoths death before persuing Glint's Egg.

Pretty much any ground at the bottom of the open sea is technically the seafloor or ocean floor, depth doesn't really matter in that regard.

I don't think spreading great distances is unique to any one dragon.They just have different methods of spreading, some faster than others.Zhaitan had fleets of undead ships shipping him food from all over the place, Kralkatorrik left Tyria entirely to binge in the mists after leaving a brand stain on the world longer than any other dragons know reach.. and Jormag likely has minions spread out way to the North beyond anything we can currently see on the map.Since Zhithan and Modremoths deaths too the other dragons have been experimenting with new minions so we know their methods of making minions has not only changed but also speed up.We're still waiting to see if any ice vine payoff will eventually come from Jormags end considering we know he has managed to create icy tendrils much like Mordremoths so in theory he may have the same ability to spread across the land rapidly like Mordremoth did when he invaded Ascalon.

What lore about DSD not being on the visible map are you referring to there btw?All I can find about DSD is that he's in the unending Ocean, but there is nothing confirming his location as to where..The inquest have managed to capture a Sea Dragon minion in the past and according to "The Movement of the World" DSD has been making minions from lakes and rivers around it's location, so he could be closer to the land than previously thought, could be right under our noses for all we know.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@"Mortifera.6138" said:They’re moving on to season 5, which should have expansion-like contentI wouldn't count on that one. I've already seen what Anet considered "expansion like content" before, and that wasn't much. If anything, i'd expect season 5 to give us
less
content than LS4

Nah i wouldnt expect less content in season 5 than in se4. A map itself is just background and half an hour tops of exploration, the meat and potatoes are the events collections and rewards.

Id expect around the same amount of content and i were to be very hopeful id expect less or no delays. Realistically speaking id expect similar stuff to se4.

Tho i will say, during the hot days i remember expectig pof to be better, during se3 i was expecting se4 to be better and both times i was left looking back fondly at that older content..

And yet I felt Season 4 was better than Season 3 and I certainly liked the PoF story better than the HOT story. The HoT story was not widely well regarded by the community. Many said it felt rushed. The last instance was a buggy mess for the longest time and still occasionally has bugs to this day. The PoF story flowed better, had better fights over all in my opinion. So it's not really that cut and dried.

Oh i wasnt judging the season and expansions based on story content as thats smth i get the least replayability out of. I was judging them based on replayability, content and cadence.

@zealex.9410 said:Oh i wasnt judging the season and expansions based on story content as yhwts smth i get the least replayability out of. I was judging them based on replayability, content and cadence.

What was replayable during Season 3? We got a single raid wing and 3 fractals, in Season 4 we got 3 raid wings 3 fractals. We also got the very repeatable Istan farm and also the Season 4 zones have more repeatable content in them, also more collections (especially to get the two new mounts). Season 4 has tons more replayability than Season 3

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@zealex.9410 said:Oh i wasnt judging the season and expansions based on story content as yhwts smth i get the least replayability out of. I was judging them based on replayability, content and cadence.

What was replayable during Season 3? We got a single raid wing and 3 fractals, in Season 4 we got 3 raid wings 3 fractals. We also got the very repeatable Istan farm and also the Season 4 zones have more repeatable content in them, also more collections (especially to get the two new mounts). Season 4 has tons more repeatability than Season 3

Dont forget that se3 also had 2 cms and many more fractal reworks to them. Also the fact that se3 aprox run for 12 months with current events happening between the episodes, compaired to the 18 months of se4. In vacuum each se4 episode is better but that would be excluding the w8 between the episodes. Thats without taking into acount the sorry state couple of the episodes were in with problems and such (first that comes to mind being se4 ep3)

@"zealex.9410" said:Dont forget that se3 also had 2 cms and many more fractal reworks to them.

Yes there was the Thaumanova fractal rework and 2 CMs during Season 3. We got some more Fractal content in Season 3, you are saying that Fractal content is your defining factor to choose between Season 3 and Season 4? And not new fractals (we got the same number) but reworks and CMs. But we got way more Raid wings during the actual Seasons (3 in S4, 1 in S3) so I think those cover instanced group content.

A Crack in the Ice launched with many bugs considering the thaw elixir, The Head of the Snake had a very buggy final fight, not the best launches either.Outside Long Live the Lich (they scrapped an entire meta inside Gandara) Season 4 didn't have any other serious launch issues.

As for Current Events:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Current_EventsQuite a few released during Season 4, we also got the Rollerbeetle Racing in core Tyria.

Yes Season 4 had a much slower pace than Season 3, but Season 4 added more replayable content.My personal wish is that Season 5 will have the release cadence of Season 3 and the content of Season 4

@"Teratus.2859" said:I don't think physical distance is a border for them, Kralkatorrik was somehow able to tear his way into the mists to binge on the magic there so if their ability to sense magic isn't bound by physical limitations then it's a fair assumption to think they may be able to sense powerful sources of magic just about anywhere in the world.The only thing that's stopped them flocking to the same places is likely territory, While each dragon shares a taste for destruction.. none of them seem interested in a direct conflict with each other.. hence why Primordus waited until Mordremoths death before persuing Glint's Egg.

Kralkatorrik is a very poor example given that he was able to enter the Mists solely due to Balthazar's magic, and from the Mists was able to access any place due to the nature of the Mists. I don't think Primordus waited for Mordremoth's death at all; if territory was the only issue, why didn't it send minions during Season 2?

Pretty much any ground at the bottom of the open sea is technically the seafloor or ocean floor, depth doesn't really matter in that regard.

Technically, yes. But there's still a vast difference between the abyssal trenches and the shoreline.

I don't think spreading great distances is unique to any one dragon.They just have different methods of spreading, some faster than others.Zhaitan had fleets of undead ships shipping him food from all over the place, Kralkatorrik left Tyria entirely to binge in the mists after leaving a brand stain on the world longer than any other dragons know reach.. and Jormag likely has minions spread out way to the North beyond anything we can currently see on the map.Since Zhithan and Modremoths deaths too the other dragons have been experimenting with new minions so we know their methods of making minions has not only changed but also speed up.We're still waiting to see if any ice vine payoff will eventually come from Jormags end considering we know he has managed to create icy tendrils much like Mordremoths so in theory he may have the same ability to spread across the land rapidly like Mordremoth did when he invaded Ascalon.

Is this an intentional strawman argument, or was it accidental?

We were never talking about whether or not the Elder Dragons spread their territories. They very obviously do as that's practically the entire premise.

It is more a matter of the rate of expansion. Zhaitan just recently reached Bloodtide Coast, Kessex, Caledon Forest,and Gendarran Fields despite being awake for a century. 100 years and it just barely spread its minions across a quarter of Central Tyria. Jormag was awake for 150 years, and managed even less. Excluding when Kralkatorrik flew personally, his spread of influence was practically zero in the 10 years since it woke.

Primordus, however, spent 200 years clearing out the underground across all of Central Tyria. More time, yes, but over double the combined of the other three territories. Mordremoth, on the other hand, was awake for barely a year and in half that time reached across Central Tyria.

The reason why Primordus was able to attack Tarir was because underneath Tarir was already part of his territory. This is not the case for the deep sea dragon - whatever little magic remained from Kralkatorrik's crash into the shoreline of Scavenger's Causeway, it's still far from any minion of the DSD.

Now, there is the possibility of the DSD itself moving - we've seen from Jormag, Kralkatorrik, and Primordus that when an Elder Dragon moves it can cover a continent's distance in several hours' time. But the only time we've seen an Elder Dragon move is 1) when they wake up (the DSD's been awake for 200 years so no go there); 2) when they run out of magic in their locale (could occur at any time for the DSD); and 3) when there is a larger spot of magic.

Thing is about #3 is: if Mordremoth's and Zhaitan's death didn't spur the DSD into personally moving onto the shores of Central Tyria, then Kralkatorrik's drained-of-magic death won't either.

[EDIT: As for the Elder Dragons experimenting with new powers since the deaths of Zhaitan and Mordremoth, it should be stressed that A Crack in the ice noted that the further away an Elder Dragon is, the less it gets of the dead ones' magic. Jormag barely got any, Primordus had to move across the continent to get what he got, and Kralkatorrik got less Mordremoth magic than Zhaitan magic. The DSD, being so far away that its influence is barely felt, wouldn't likely have gotten much if any. Even if the DSD did get some new powers, it's unlikely that such new powers would help the DSD's minions spread faster.]

What lore about DSD not being on the visible map are you referring to there btw?All I can find about DSD is that he's in the unending Ocean, but there is nothing confirming his location as to where..The inquest have managed to capture a Sea Dragon minion in the past and according to "The Movement of the World" DSD has been making minions from lakes and rivers around it's location, so he could be closer to the land than previously thought, could be right under our noses for all we know.

Quite a bit of the Movement has been retconned, and that bit about the DSD's minions is one such thing that's been changed - the original line, btw, was from "all the lakes and rivers" not merely those around its location.

As for the DSD not being within the world map: basically, if it were that close, we'd have seen a minion of it by now. The Inquest did manage to capture one, yes, but we do not know where they did so. In addition, can actually deduce where it roughly woke up with four simple facts:1 It woke up in the deepest part of the ocean. The krait built their civilization in the deepest part of the ocean, too.2 The krait harried human sailors, putting their civilization near but not on the trade routes humans had. The trade route between Elona and Cantha were full of shallow reefs, which means it'd be the trade routes between Tyria and the Battle Isles, or the Battle Isles and Sunrise Crest we have not yet seen per this map3 Quaggans and karka were pushed out by the DSD and krait, and they and the krait only show up near the Tarnished Coast, Ring of Fire, Orr, and Sea of Sorrows. Since they don't show up along Elona, this puts them more north than south, and more west than east. This puts them as coming off of the map, to the west.

Combine the three: Since the Battle Isles isn't exactly deep, and neither is east of it, and the refugee races forced out of the Unending Ocean by the DSD is coming from the west, the DSD must have awakened west by northwest of the Battle Isles. Since the Ring of Fire islands is basically as far west as the in-game map goes, it woke up west (or southwest) of the in-game map and is, while potentially closer, still off the map.

The eternal war for more balance patches :#

But in all seriousness, I hope we go south, into the ocean. maybe some reefy islands and coursair ships from LA. Then we can meet Deep Sea Steve at last! Combat could then be split between water and land... but once again water combat will need a good touch up and all profesion skills made to work under water so no class is gimped to the state of not playable.

(Skill example, Throw Bolas -> Causes sink under water when it lands rather than imobo)

I would love to see a map with a split of water combat and land combat. With vast underwater cities to explore.. then we slowly poke East into Cantha.... he..he

@Zaraki.5784 said:

@"Hannelore.8153" said:They have only said that Living World season 5, "will not threaten the world", so presumably we're returning to small plotlines.

Where did they say that line? I sincerely don't remember.

It was Guild Chat #85 (if I remember the number correctly - the one covering War Eternal). Someone in the stream chat asked about what's next and added "it can't be constant world ending threats because if the world ended the game would be over so it's predictable" (paraphrased) and the devs talked a bit about that and said that there is a need to pull back from world ending threat plots every now and then, and that we've had too many such plots back to back (no doubt referring to Mordremoth-Balthazar-Kralkatorrik).

I'm not sure if they explicitly stated Season 5 will not be a world ending threat plot, but the implication was most definitely there.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Mortifera.6138" said:They’re moving on to season 5, which should have expansion-like contentI wouldn't count on that one. I've already seen what Anet considered "expansion like content" before, and that wasn't much. If anything, i'd expect season 5 to give us
less
content than LS4

Nah i wouldnt expect less content in season 5 than in se4. A map itself is just background and half an hour tops of exploration, the meat and potatoes are the events collections and rewards.

Id expect around the same amount of content and i were to be very hopeful id expect less or no delays. Realistically speaking id expect similar stuff to se4.

Tho i will say, during the hot days i remember expectig pof to be better, during se3 i was expecting se4 to be better and both times i was left looking back fondly at that older content..

And yet I felt Season 4 was better than Season 3 and I certainly liked the PoF story better than the HOT story. The HoT story was not widely well regarded by the community. Many said it felt rushed. The last instance was a buggy mess for the longest time and still occasionally has bugs to this day. The PoF story flowed better, had better fights over all in my opinion. So it's not really that cut and dried.

Oh i wasnt judging the season and expansions based on story content as thats smth i get the least replayability out of. I was judging them based on replayability, content and cadence.

I don't know. Because I hunt achievements, and because I tend not to rely on Wiki or Dulfy for a lot of things, I don't really need content to be replayable, at least not on the level some people seem to. But put another way, people see raids as replayable and they can play them forever. What good does that do me? I mean I'm never going to raid. I don't enjoy it. I can do it. I have the skill. But why should I ever play content I don't enjoy? So let's talk about repeatable.

I enjoy the stories and story bosses (some more than others) and I can do them on every class, because how well I do on each class gets me better at the game. More to the point, there's roller beetle racing, which offered a bunch of endless tonics which I collect. I'm at the point now where I almost have everything you can from the racing vendors, though I still don't have the gold reward for the Brisbane and the Mount Maelstrom race. Since I race almost every day, that's repeatable content to me. I find that fun. I try to beat my high score. Took me a while to get the hang of it, and it's a bit harder with my higher ping, but I'm happy to have every reward from that vendor. If I disliked racing, I'd probably skip those rewards, but I find it to be a blast.

Repeatable content isn't just hard instanced content. Minigames are repeatable content to people who like mini games. Story content or zone completion is repeatable content to people who like zone completion. Do you think there are more people playing this game who like raids, or who like zone completion? Of course, in order to display the skins you've unlocked, one or two characters won't do it either. I have a lot of characters, mostly to set up themed characters that I get from the skin I've unlocked. Sadly, I need another pinnacle weapon to complete one of those characters right now and that's still a few hundred achievement points off...but you know, I'll get there.

This whole idea that there's one type of repeatable content and that's the only repeatable content is a pretty narrow view of what content can be repeated. Do you know how many times I've repeated the Veil Guardian? Zero. Do you know how many times I've completed Living Story Season 3? 31.

It's just not that cut and dried.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"zealex.9410" said:Dont forget that se3 also had 2 cms and many more fractal reworks to them.

Yes there was the Thaumanova fractal rework and 2 CMs during Season 3. We got some more Fractal content in Season 3, you are saying that Fractal content is your defining factor to choose between Season 3 and Season 4? And not new fractals (we got the same number) but reworks and CMs. But we got way more Raid wings during the actual Seasons (3 in S4, 1 in S3) so I think those cover instanced group content.

I messure it in updates that pve gets in general altho yes, i value fractals more because those lasted me more than a week.

Actually in terms of fractal content we got 3 fractal reworks (4 if you count a pretty big change in the aetherblade fractal).

But again i think its important to stress that se4 run for a period of 18 months compaired to the 12 of se3. If we were to also count the 6 months before se3 started to have a similar time-frame to compaire them the total of raids for se3 would go up to 3 and the total of reworked fractals would go up to 5.

A Crack in the Ice launched with many bugs considering the thaw elixir, The Head of the Snake had a very buggy final fight, not the best launches either.Outside Long Live the Lich (they scrapped an entire meta inside Gandara) Season 4 didn't have any other serious launch issues.

Ep2 also had pretty nasty frame issues. And long live the litch was unplayble for around a day?

As for Current Events:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Current_EventsQuite a few released during Season 4, we also got the Rollerbeetle Racing in core Tyria.

Yes Season 4 had a much slower pace than Season 3, but Season 4 added more replayable content.My personal wish is that Season 5 will have the release cadence of Season 3 and the content of Season 4

I would like se4 content with the pace of se3 when it comes to lw.

@"zealex.9410" said:But again i think its important to stress that se4 run for a period of 18 months compaired to the 12 of se3. If we were to also count the 6 months before se3 started to have a similar time-frame to compaire them the total of raids for se3 would go up to 3 and the total of reworked fractals would go up to 5.

If you count those 6 months before S3 started then I prefer the Season 4 release cadence much much more. I'd rather get new content every 3 months, than 6 months of nothing (nothing but new raid wings) and then new content every 2 months. It's superior for the vast majority of players and the game itself.

As for Raids, for someone that gives so much emphasis on Fractal CMs, I find it weird that you don't count those for Raids too. In S3 we got 11 Raid bosses + 4 CMs (and Escort/Trio event-like "bosses"), while in S4 we got 8 raid bosses with 8 CMs (plus the statues of Grenth event-like boss). I know Raid CMs aren't repeatable, but to me Fractal CMs aren't repeatable either as I'm not interested in the infusion rewards and I find them not worth the effort for general rewards.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"zealex.9410" said:But again i think its important to stress that se4 run for a period of 18 months compaired to the 12 of se3. If we were to also count the 6 months before se3 started to have a similar time-frame to compaire them the total of raids for se3 would go up to 3 and the total of reworked fractals would go up to 5.

If you count those 6 months before S3 started then I prefer the Season 4 release cadence much much more. I'd rather get new content every 3 months, than 6 months of nothing (nothing but new raid wings) and then new content every 2 months. It's superior for the vast majority of players and the game itself.

6 months of nothing vs 4 months of nothing which i believe was the longer time in se4 without any lw content. Yes in that sense se4 exclusively comes out ahead for lw but just the content in other areas of pve got a lot of content as well.

Also during those 6 months the base game so quite a few updates qol changes and buffs ( i believe hot 2.0 dropped around then as well giving massive value to ow players who wanted to do hot content.)

As for Raids, for someone that gives so much emphasis on Fractal CMs, I find it weird that you don't count those for Raids too. In S3 we got 11 Raid bosses + 4 CMs (and Escort/Trio event-like "bosses"), while in S4 we got 8 raid bosses with 8 CMs (plus the statues of Grenth event-like boss). I know Raid CMs aren't repeatable, but to me Fractal CMs aren't repeatable either as I'm not interested in the infusion rewards and I find them not worth the effort for general rewards.

Fractal cms are repeatable as they give their rewards on a daily basis. Whether fractal cms to you are repeatable or not isnt the same with raid cms not being repeatable because you choose to not benefit from repeating fractal cms while the raids cm stop benefoting you after one clear.

@zealex.9410 said:

@zealex.9410 said:But again i think its important to stress that se4 run for a period of 18 months compaired to the 12 of se3. If we were to also count the 6 months before se3 started to have a similar time-frame to compaire them the total of raids for se3 would go up to 3 and the total of reworked fractals would go up to 5.

6 months of nothing vs 4 months of nothing which i believe was the longer time in se4 without any lw content. Yes in that sense se4 exclusively comes out ahead for lw but just the content in other areas of pve got a lot of content as well.

Also during those 6 months the base game so quite a few updates qol changes and buffs ( i believe hot 2.0 dropped around then as well giving massive value to ow players who wanted to do hot content.)

Fractal cms are repeatable as they give their rewards on a daily basis. Whether fractal cms to you are repeatable or not isnt the same with raid cms not being repeatable because you choose to not benefit from repeating fractal cms while the raids cm stop benefoting you after one clear.

6 months after the release of Heart of Thorns + 6 more months in between the releases of Season 3 (total 18 months 6/18 got releases)Meanwhile we got 14 months of "downtime" in Season 4 (total 20 months, 6/20 got releases) not that big of a deal

Let's compare features outside raids, fractals and living world maps, and anyone can conclude for themselves which season had more content:In Season 3 we got revamp of Shatterer, gliding in core tyria, adjustments to scribing and Heart of Thorns map rewards, the Perfected Envoy Legendary armor and the Ammunition skill mechanic. Finally we got 9 legendary weapons, the Ascension, Ad Infinitum and Aurora

in Season 4 we got revamped Festivals that include new activities (mount races), the return of the Festival of the Four Winds with new content in it (new bosses in the Queen's Gauntlet), 3 new Mounts (Rollerbeetle, Warclaw, Skyscale), a mini-raid in Wintersday, Mount Races all over Tyria, 5 Weapon sets (Astral, Stellar, Dragonsblood, Heroic Dragonsblood, Weapons of the Scion), 4 Armor sets (Elegy, Requiem, Mist Shard, Blossoming Mist Shard), 6 Legendary Weapons, Vision and Coalescence

Archived