What comes after War Eternal?

I've just completed the entire story and am wondering if there is any info or speculation on what is planned for ahead?

The story seems pretty rounded up, the elder dragons chapter is pretty much closed now ... we can move one to other stories. Will there be any? What's the future for GW2?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Kovac.4372" said:I've just completed the entire story and am wondering if there is any info or speculation on what is planned for ahead?

The story seems pretty rounded up, the elder dragons chapter is pretty much closed now ... we can move one to other stories. Will there be any? What's the future for GW2?

It's not closed. Jormag and Primordus are still alive (they were just knocked out at the end of LWS3 episode 5 so they stopped doing things, but they are not dead), and so is the DSD.LWS5 will not be focused on them though, or so i've heard. I expect a series of "filler" episodes so that our heroes can rest while they wait for the next big battle.

@Kovac.4372 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:S5 is next, prob tying off the million loose threads.

Like what?

To name a few quick ones off he top of my head

EFate of the pale treeZojjathe Lyssa/Balthazar connection from the end of PoFThe Harbinger from FractalsThe locket in S2 about the true heir to the throne of KrytaMallyck

That's just a handful. The lore forum had a bigger list, with some more up-to-date ones. I'll dig it out at some point.

Some of these will bother people less than others, but Anet have admitted themselves they leave too many things open. Sometimes they do it deliberately just to fuel speculation and maybe seed things for later, which is not really a good way to write a story, but that's up to them.

@Sir Alric.5078 said:

@"Kovac.4372" said:I've just completed the entire story and am wondering if there is any info or speculation on what is planned for ahead?

It's not closed. Jormag and Primordus are still alive (they were just knocked out at the end of LWS3 episode 5 so they stopped doing things, but they are not dead), and so is the DSD.LWS5 will not be focused on them though, or so i've heard. I expect a series of "filler" episodes so that our heroes can rest while they wait for the next big battle.

I don't know their energy was at pre-awakened levels but they slept for like thousands of years before. Pretty sure they're not an immediate threat.

@Randulf.7614 said:Since we have 3 Dragons out there,, it is far from closed. Its just the awful Aurene plotlne hopefully put to bed.S5 is next, prob tying off the million loose threads. Thatll prob be Sept as all the other whats next threads are speculating

@Sir Alric.5078 said:

Why do the other elder dragons need to be killed at this point? Isn’t putting them into a quiescent state — as done with Jormag and Primordus — ideal as it doesn’t risk unbalancing magic and destroying the world?

@Sir Alric.5078 said:

That makes sense to me. Change it up a little for a while and build up to the next big threat.

@VDAC.2137 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Since we have 3 Dragons out there,, it is far from closed. Its just the awful Aurene plotlne hopefully put to bed.S5 is next, prob tying off the million loose threads. Thatll prob be Sept as all the other whats next threads are speculating

Why do the other elder dragons need to be killed at this point? Isn’t putting them into a quiescent state — as done with Jormag and Primordus — ideal as it doesn’t risk unbalancing magic and destroying the world?

Magic was already unbalanced ever since we killed Zhaitan and Mordremoth. That's why we couldn't afford to let Balthazar kill Kralkatorrik in PoF and we couldn't afford to kill Kralkatorrik ourselves without replacing him with Aurene in LWS4. The situation was bad enough that the death of just one more Elder Dragon would have meant the end of the world. Aurene ascension to elder dragon status has stopped the destruction caused by Kralkattorik's rampage, but has not resolved the bigger problem of the balance of magic in Thyria. Magic is still unbalanced because there are the voids left by Zhaitan and Mordremoth to fill (unless Anet decide to retcon the whole thing and make it so replacing just one elder dragon suddenly means you don't have to replace all six for some reason). Also, there is no guarantee that Primordus and Jormag will sleep for 10.000 years and wont cause any more troubles in this era. Because the world is still overflowing with magic (unlike how it is when the Elder Dragons usually go to sleep) they might just wake up again soon. And there is still the mysterious DSD lurking somewhere in the unending ocean.So i don't think the dragon storyline is over.

@Sir Alric.5078, right so it sounds like we need MORE elder dragons, not fewer, unless Aurene can contain the power of all of them.

It seems to me that the dragon storyline might have concluded for now so long as there are no more imminent threats, unless there is more that we can do to restore balance. The dragon storyline may continue, but the assumption that we’ll need to kill them doesn’t make sense to me at this point.

Then glint plotline is put to bed, aurene will be relevant for a whole lot more.

@Hannelore.8153 said:

@Hannelore.8153 said:They have only said that Living World season 5, "will not threaten the world", so presumably we're returning to small plotlines.

When did they say that

They regularly do streams, and comment on the forums and Reddit from time to time.

Ah, ok. That’s cool! Maybe we can resolve a few plot threads, start a few short ones... probably the last episode is the only one that’ll tie into expansion 3. That would be cool

The Elder Dragon chapter is far from closed. More like we're finally hitting the halfway point. That said:

In a specific sense:Season 5, with a "non-world-threatening plot" being heavily implied. Release date unclear, likely August or September at the latest

In a general sense:There are many plots remaining. Top five big ones (imo) are: Primordus, Jormag, deep sea dragon, replacements for Zhaitan and Mordremoth, and the charr-human peace treaty (and related subplots). Which - if any of these - we will go to next is anyone's guess; as you say, the story rounded up well. This is the first time since the personal story we had no clear direction of where we're going next.

Of minor plot hooks, there's probably a good two dozen, few of them would create a plot in of themselves, but could easily merge together for an overarching plot. Those brought up in Season 4 include Overseer Kuda and Subject Beta, Bangar Ruinbringer of the Blood Legion, ongoing norn efforts to slay Jormag despite re-entering hibernation, Elonian politics (which the Commander seemed highly uninterested in), and dealing with Kralkatorrik's aftermath (which, like with Mordy, Zhaitan, Caudecus, Balthazar, and Scarlet, probably won't be handled by the Commander).

@Vayne.8563 said:I don't know their energy was at pre-awakened levels but they slept for like thousands of years before. Pretty sure they're not an immediate threat.

@VDAC.2137 said:Why do the other elder dragons need to be killed at this point? Isn’t putting them into a quiescent state — as done with Jormag and Primordus — ideal as it doesn’t risk unbalancing magic and destroying the world?

They're not asleep forever, nor for another 10,000 years. It's unknown when they'll wake up again, as they have hundreds of champions and thousands of minions to gather magic for them. And even then, why risk them being forgotten about (again) by leaving it to future generations when so many living norn and asura want to see them slain.

And this says nothing for the deep sea dragon who's awake, active, and causing damage.

@VDAC.2137 said:@"Sir Alric.5078", right so it sounds like we need MORE elder dragons, not fewer, unless Aurene can contain the power of all of them.

It seems to me that the dragon storyline might have concluded for now so long as there are no more imminent threats, unless there is more that we can do to restore balance. The dragon storyline may continue, but the assumption that we’ll need to kill them doesn’t make sense to me at this point.

More good Elder Dragons. Five more, ideally. And to replace the three remaining evil Elder Dragons, we need to kill them.

Bare minimum, Tyrians would need to keep Primordus and Jormag in a hibernation state forever; and on top of that, would need to put the DSD into a hibernation state. Which isn't possible, since Elder Dragons can directly drain magic from their surroundings (even though this is far faster with the use of minions). In short, Primordus and Jormag will rise again. It's just a matter of "when". And even if the number of Elder Dragons plaguing the lands has been reduced by half, just one can end the world is left alone long enough as proven by Kralkatorrik.

Which is why they need to be killed. If not in GW2, it'd become a GW3 threat, if such a game ever comes to exist (unlikely at this point due to why the layoffs happened).

@Konig Des Todes.2086 Those are good points. :) Another point about the elder dragons which I am a bit confused about, is how do we know that the Deep Sea dragon is awake and causing mayhem? Was this mentioned in LWS3 and I’ve forgotten? Given how prevalent the DSD has been in talk of where we might go next and future expansions, I’d rather expected some foreshadowing of this threat in LWS4 but there was not. So are people just assuming he’s awake causing problems? Or what did I miss?

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Mortifera.6138" said:They’re moving on to season 5, which should have expansion-like contentI wouldn't count on that one. I've already seen what Anet considered "expansion like content" before, and that wasn't much. If anything, i'd expect season 5 to give us
less
content than LS4

Nah i wouldnt expect less content in season 5 than in se4. A map itself is just background and half an hour tops of exploration, the meat and potatoes are the events collections and rewards.

Id expect around the same amount of content and i were to be very hopeful id expect less or no delays. Realistically speaking id expect similar stuff to se4.

Tho i will say, during the hot days i remember expectig pof to be better, during se3 i was expecting se4 to be better and both times i was left looking back fondly at that older content..

Archived