Level up nerf?

Has the leveling up been nerfed?It used to take me 2 days, or about 14 to 16 hours worth of gameplay to level up a character, using xp boosters from the laurel vendor; speed running maps, getting HP, POI, WP, and vistas.

Now the same method, at level 50, I'm almost out of maps, can't go on high level maps, cause... instant death... and am stuck just taking to long to get from 50 to 70... it's been a week now, and getting really frustrated.I even had to go to silverwastes and dry top, also verdant brink, very carefully avoiding enemies not to get killed for some extra xp.

I love the freedom of mount riding around maps, and leveling up that way...Can you please Anet restore the xp gain to a higher one please?

Weird, I don't remember any exp nerfs besides EoTM (and that was really REALLY long time ago, and not relevant to this topic...)

Are you doing things you might have done on your first play through, like story and Ascalon Catacombs? Instanced content can have a big impact on your leveling, and can sometimes break the monotony of exploration.

Check the wiki for a breakdown of experience gain from map exploration as well as for a list of leveling zones . It could be a simple change in playstyle, like avoiding harvesting and/or events you come across, as both contribute a decent part of experience. It could also mean that you missed some lower level zones to explore, as there are way more than needed for leveling.

I don't think it is possible to run out of maps - maybe only if you ignore everything besides unlocking the bare minimum for map completion. Grab some events every now and then. A bit doing personal story. Makes it easy. Of course for wanting to rush it might be different. But the game didn't get created with the intend to have players rushing. (They might want to sell boosters or stuff for money.)

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:Has the leveling up been nerfed?It used to take me 2 days, or about 14 to 16 hours worth of gameplay to level up a character, using xp boosters from the laurel vendor; speed running maps, getting HP, POI, WP, and vistas.

Now the same method, at level 50, I'm almost out of maps, can't go on high level maps, cause... instant death... and am stuck just taking to long to get from 50 to 70... it's been a week now, and getting really frustrated.I even had to go to silverwastes and dry top, also verdant brink, very carefully avoiding enemies not to get killed for some extra xp.

I love the freedom of mount riding around maps, and leveling up that way...Can you please Anet restore the xp gain to a higher one please?

There was no experience nerf.

The more likely scenario is: you are overseeing some areas you have not yet gone to.

Also remember: if you go to higher level areas, experience gain is reduced to your current level. Even with that limitation though, it is impossible to run out of maps.

The last time I did it, using the exact same method as the OP, i.e. skipping personal story, all hearts and all events and basically speeding across the (core) maps and exclusively gaining xp from the other map sources I hit 80 in the Straits of Devastation. I also love this leveling method, because I'm in constant movement, switching between mounts and sometimes gliding here and there. It's basically a two-day-jump'n'run-mount-race, fraking awesome.

This last time has been a while, but it's not all that long ago, couple of months. If there was a nerf, it must be recent. I've actually just created a new toon, so I'll be going down that road again very soon. I do very much, albeit very selfishly hope that your lack of xp gain ,@SoulGuardian.6203, isn't due to a nerf.

I'm not aware of any change to the experience awarded from map completion.

Based on my own experience my best guess is you're participating in fewer events and/or killing fewer enemies. Admittedly my levelling through map completion is typically slower than that, but I assume the process is fairly similar. I have noticed big differences between characters - for example I once got a character to level 10 doing just 5 hearts in Caledon forest, other times it's taken me 8-10. I think the difference is how many events I do along the way, because events do give a lot of XP.

My advice would be to take that character to a map or maps you enjoy and look for events to complete, or maybe do some world bosses (with the pre-events) as a way of levelling them up, and in future look out for events you can participate in as you're going along instead of focusing exclusively on map completion items.

Alternatively levelling crafting can be a quick way to gain XP (especially with a guild boost applied) and there are guides to the most cost-effective way to do that. But I imagine doing events would be more similar to your preferred method.

So, I haven't leveled a character to 80 since PoF launched and I have 19 slots like a crazy person! But it's a bit strange to think that you have no maps below your level that don't need completing. Additionally, even if they are completed, the question of events does need to be asked. Plus, doing story does also grant large chunks of XP (yeah I know, maybe you don't want to). While you're not able to do the better quality seasonal stuff until after you're level 80, maybe doing some core story would get you at least into a higher level map for your to clear.

How I do it: I supplement my time playing PvE with WvW and PvP so I get a lot of tomes on the side, far more than just by getting the daily bonuses. Beyond this, I recommend going to a low population map with your XP boost and looking for monsters that haven't been killed in a while for their bonus experience. Btw, gathering nodes in the world can do this as well. This way it can help get more uncommon materials like soft wood or iron since you'll be getting them AND extra experience.

@Tzarakiel.7490 said:You should reach 80 if you do all the maps below level 40. You must have skipped a lot of content to run out of maps.

I haven't ran out of maps entirely, just around level 70 now. Frostgorge and southsun are too high still. Doing events around straits of devastation now and carry onto orr, then will proceed to higher planes.However, here's the facts.I used to get 2-3 levels each map, and get to level 80 and still have some maps untouched.Now I'm getting none, or 0-1 level tops each map, doing the exact same thing, getting the very same points, and follow the exact same routs as before.

I usually start T the lowest level part of tge map and circle around it, hugging the outside wall, in a full circle. Then when I get to starting point, i do the middle of the map in a south to north fashion... usually.

Sometimes, but rarely take a short detour, in cases such as forgetting where I'm going, or missing a WP, for instance...

So, I can't think about anything major that I'm missing.

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:

@Tzarakiel.7490 said:You should reach 80 if you do all the maps below level 40. You must have skipped a lot of content to run out of maps.

I haven't ran out of maps entirely, just around level 70 now. Frostgorge and southsun are too high still. Doing events around straits of devastation now and carry onto orr, then will proceed to higher planes.However, here's the facts.I used to get 2-3 levels each map, and get to level 80 and still have some maps untouched.Now I'm getting none, or 0-1 level tops each map, doing the exact same thing, getting the very same points, and follow the exact same routs as before.

I usually start T the lowest level part of tge map and circle around it, hugging the outside wall, in a full circle. Then when I get to starting point, i do the middle of the map in a south to north fashion... usually.

Sometimes, but rarely take a short detour, in cases such as forgetting where I'm going, or missing a WP, for instance...

So, I can't think about anything major that I'm missing.

You were either doing hearts or a lot of events before. You never ever gained 2-3 levels per map from doing everything but hearts (or events).

The 2-3 levels per map is what I averaged by doing map completion. If you’re using XP modifiers, keep in mind most of them only work on enemy kills and not all XP earned.