Please do not use this chapter as a precedent to sell the portal after the story

Menadena.7482

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:This is such a non-issue.I actually think its a good idea to keep the scroll out of the vendor until you have played through the story on one toon, if you really cant wait then use a TP to friend.Again, such a non issue for ANET to spend even the slightest amount of time looking at imo.

A nonissue? Someone actually had to ADD a check to see if the story was done rather than just add it to the vendor.

As I said... such a non issue.In the time you've taken complaint about this you could of gotten 10 toons through the story and not even required the scroll.It is one toon, doing an hours worth of story dialogue, hardly earth shattering stuff... or if that is too much effort used TP scroll with a friend or guildie.It really isn't that hard.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tukaram.8256 said:

@Lambent.6375 said:Slightly related: is there a skip function for living story dialogue yet?

I wish. I wanted to skip it the first time. I have had to sit through it 3 times now ha ha

As for my 3rd trip, I timed it. New character that has never been to the Black Citadel. Had to go to Divinity Reach, to gate to Lions Arch (which I had also never been to). Then gate to the Black Citadel for the helicopter.

Every new toon has the first WP in Plains of Ashford unlocked. You go there, then head for Black Citadel.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Lambent.6375 said:Slightly related: is there a skip function for living story dialogue yet?

I wish. I wanted to skip it the first time. I have had to sit through it 3 times now ha ha

As for my 3rd trip, I timed it. New character that has never been to the Black Citadel. Had to go to Divinity Reach, to gate to Lions Arch (which I had also never been to). Then gate to the Black Citadel for the helicopter.

Every new toon has the first WP in Plains of Ashford unlocked. You go there, then head for Black Citadel.Or simply roll a charr instead of a
mouse
human. This story is better on charr anyway B) .

@Rasimir.6239 said:

Every new toon has the first WP in Plains of Ashford unlocked. You go there, then head for Black Citadel.Or simply roll a charr instead of a
mouse

No, It really isn't.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

mouse

My main is of course a Charr. But my Norn wanted to go hear the concert :p

@TheGrimm.5624 said:+10, agree with OP, please make the scroll available on entering the zone, not at the end.

I would think that in order to do this, the scroll would require zone currency which would probably take as much (if not more!) time than running the short and easy story.

And I'm very casual, so if I say that the story is short and easy, it ought to be even more so with just about everyone else. ;)

@Rasimir.6239 said:

mouse

Yeah, my default story character is a Charr (yay Ash Legion!!!) and some of the things in the zone are better on a charr. I forgot all the examples, but in the car event on a charr it identifies your legion but obviously does not for the other races.

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:I must sympathize with the OP because "do events before proceeding" was the worst thing about LW game flow. That combined with many other annoyances to get a map portal scroll is a nuisance.

I wish I had a picture of my face when I saw how little that progress bar moves for most events. One thing I found that REALLY helps though: do the band event. Minievents drop like crazy and each one advances the bar as much as a long event.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@TheGrimm.5624 said:+10, agree with OP, please make the scroll available on entering the zone, not at the end.

I would think that in order to do this, the scroll would require zone currency which would probably take as much (if not more!) time than running the short and easy story.

And I'm very casual, so if I say that the story is short and easy, it ought to be even more so with just about everyone else. ;)

I am ok with using the zone currency as the gate to the scroll, and agree that the story was not that long. But I could see where this might impact others enjoyment and it did encourage the 'rush' mindset which I am not as much a fan of. I understand you could just redo the opening steps to get other toons there, but don't see a real reason to delay in allowing access to the scroll.

@GWMO.4785 said:just to state clear: do you need to finish the story first before you can buy the teleport scroll?

Yes, all of the prologue. Granted the prologue is not huge but my concern is for this not to happen in a chapter that is long/puts up some completion issue. Even if you never plan on having other characters there a fee-free teleport to the map is handy to have.

@lokh.2695 said:Doing the story takes up about an hour. If you can't be bothered to do an hour worth of story you're probably not as interested in the new content to want the portal.

It is not a matter of noninterest. It is a matter of a potential story that is longer or has some blocking issue. Even if either is overcome eventually generally there is something on there to farm and you want to get more characters to the map ASAP.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

I am ok with using the zone currency as the gate to the scroll, and agree that the story was not that long. But I could see where this might impact others enjoyment and it did encourage the 'rush' mindset which I am not as much a fan of. I understand you could just redo the opening steps to get other toons there, but don't see a real reason to delay in allowing access to the scroll.

Yes, especially with content coming out so rarely I prefer to savor what we got over several days (in addition to not worrying if I do not get around to finishing). Gating it felt like I was robbed of my first time experiencing the content. Sure, I can run the story again but it would not be like when I had not done it yet.

Personnaly I hate the story, so I prefer not to do it and be able to get all my 22 alts to the map when I want, all the other people here that don't agree because they do the story is ridiculous, allow other people playing the game differently that you and still enjoy the game too without doing the boring and sometime difficult story (and buggy).

@"Alinor.8719" said:Personnaly I hate the story, so I prefer not to do it and be able to get all my 22 alts to the map when I want, all the other people here that don't agree because they do the story is ridiculous, allow other people playing the game differently that you and still enjoy the game too without doing the boring and sometime difficult story (and buggy).

The converse is true. Having a difference of preference isn't "ridiculous".

People who hate farming for zone currency in order to buy the scroll (which is a possibility if not gated behind the story) would likewise hate that process. In my opinion, making both options available could be a compromise?

@Alinor.8719 said:Personnaly I hate the story, so I prefer not to do it and be able to get all my 22 alts to the map when I want, all the other people here that don't agree because they do the story is ridiculous, allow other people playing the game differently that you and still enjoy the game too without doing the boring and sometime difficult story (and buggy).

Yeah I still get disconnects at the end of story sequences for some reason. Which makes me have to repeat the entire sequence again (had to do the ice elemental part twice). I don't have this problem in open world, only see this issue in story maps and it always hits right before the episode finishes so you lose all credit for doing it.HOT was incredibly frustrating for this.