Those Mallyx changes, Anet please be careful. - Yikes it's happening!

Shao.7236

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

@Doto.6357 said:Am I the only one that wishes mallyx had boon stealing or corruption instead of just ripping them? I feel like when it was weighed boom corruption and theft was super rare but since pof it’s all over the place and a plain boon rip just feels... meh

I'de like to see the corruption of said Boons, that way as a Condi Rev I would have some cover conditions so my Torment isn't as easy to cleanse off, lol.

As much as I would love to have legit corrupts, I just think it would be too much powercreep because of how spammable the skill can be. I do think another more reliably accessible condition would be nice though. My personal wish is for Opportune Extraction to apply poison when ripping a boon.

if you are spamming it you going to be out of energy soon and wont be able to do anything else. the energy system alone balances that. Its one of the reasons Herald is so good because its legend skills are good yet dont have energy cost on the consume skills. Demon is a core legend and everything has cost. only 2 cast from out of combat

Eh, I mean it's not quite as simple as that ever since they introduced both Charged Mists and Ancient Echo. Energy potential is significantly higher than it used to be. You don't see these builds as much in PvP or WvW because Herald is still arguably stronger in most scenarios, but the viability gap between the two is not nearly as pronounced as it used to be. Charged Mists is never played when running Glint because it synergizes poorly due to the nature of Glint's upkeeps, but it is still an extremely potent and relevant trait. If I swap to Mallyx with a successful Charged Mists proc, that is 4 consecutive Banish Enchantments I can use if I am not using other skills. Add Ancient Echo onto that and you'll get another, and close to an additional one due to the energy gain from all of the casts.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then what, you're gonna say that who ever I fought sucks? Get real, that's just beating around the point.

I play this build 24/7 and holding on into my spot like any other viable build would in their own right.

This is a showcase of what it can do and that's what golems are for. I've blatantly named both clips for a reason that spells out typical burst and max damage.

@phokus.8934Yes, Hydromancy instead of Escape on Mace, Vision and Rage on the Sw/A.

I'm using a mix of Carrion with Clerics to achieve Sage stats with toughness and Torment Runes along the way.

Planning to experiment a lot once build templates come out, for the most part all I ever see is Trailblazer which is eh imo.

Even with these changes, I'm still not going to run mallyx or condi rev. The damage is still forced to ability activation, meaning I still have to swap to shortbow and stand inside a large model in order to do good damage. It's still way too inconvenient, way too inflexible, and way too painful to play, and this is on a fundamental level.

@Shao.7236 said:

@phokus.8934Yes, Hydromancy instead of Escape on Mace, Vision and Rage on the Sw/A.

I'm using a mix of Carrion with Clerics to achieve Sage stats with toughness and Torment Runes along the way.

Planning to experiment a lot once build templates come out, for the most part all I ever see is Trailblazer which is eh imo.

Marshal stats is nice those for a bit more sustain and more vampiric and heal from renegade, but looses on condi damage.I use with torment runes.

Goin to check that build later since I’m building a new rev :p for condi builds.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

Marshal stats is nice those for a bit more sustain and more vampiric and heal from renegade, but looses on condi damage.I use with torment runes.

Goin to check that build later since I’m building a new rev :p for condi builds.

My build is mostly out of PvP habits, I'm trying to not go too far from what's available because of the play style it requires. Going full trailblazer would pretty much make me avoid shield altogether since it's not that great without healing power, just a very DPS oriented tactic. Considering how Mallyx doesn't pump that many cover conditions, i'd figure investing in sustain would be worth it more, rarely does full on stacks last unless you already won the fight.

Marshal is something to consider though, I like the passive condition damage for an Hybrid that can sustain a lot.

@Shao.7236 said:

My build is mostly out of PvP habits, I'm trying to not go too far from what's available because of the play style it requires. Going full trailblazer would pretty much make me avoid shield altogether since it's not that great without healing power, just a very DPS oriented tactic. Considering how Mallyx doesn't pump that many cover conditions, i'd figure investing in sustain would be worth it more, rarely does full on stacks last unless you already won the fight.

Marshal is something to consider though, I like the passive condition damage for an Hybrid that can sustain a lot.

Well for mallyx I have won 1 vs 5 on WvW by just dodging breaking LoS, and runing away while applying torment, on pve I can reach stable 40 torment stacks inmarchal stats it’s arround 8k ticks with some decent heal from renegade to allies.

I've tried using Mallyx multiple times in WvW.. I wish it worked, even decently. Fact is it still completely inferior to either a hammer rev or support rev. I wished it worked better than it did, i'd love to be able to jump in, smash a few people up, dump piles of torment on them, then watch them tick to their death. Fact is, this doesn't happen.

Even in the vast majority of PvE situations, it's a lot quicker to just run double sword and spam 1 to down mobs. I like the idea of Mallyx, but it just seems like it's missing something to make it useful compared to other rev builds.

• 4 months later...

Had a match in the asura arena with firebrand + core guard vs a mesmer and my condi herald; we lost 3/2 in the last round 28 seconds over the time cap due the map mechanic (which I didn't known) but made over 500k damage. They were a duo team with builds designed to support and bruise the enemies and still we beat them two times (almost 3) and the two times we lost was due the mesmer was unable to endure the pressure. So far Mallyx builds are working really well in the current meta. My thoughs on the matchups:

• Elementalist: tie fight, they have better ranged pressure and mobility but less cc and ways to deal with condis.
  • Engineer: favorable; usually tanky and able to disengage, but the longer the fight goes the worse it becomes to them. Saw variety of builds.
  • Guardian: tie; lot of builds, the best ones are either firebrand support or burn centered. Not that hard: those dps oriented can be killed and those focused in self sustain can be almost unkillable but they can't retain the control point forever.
  • Mesmer: very favorable, our AoE damage cuts clones like a hot knife through butter, Mallyx nulls the condis and power mesmers can't burst carrion Rev nor Jalis Rev.
  • Necro: sligh advantage to us, my fave fight. Their corrupt and chills can be lethal, but their limited acces to stability makes easy to chain cc effects on them. Their strongest builds seems to be condi based, and after four years dealing with them with power Herald the new matchup is refreshing.
  • Ranger: favorable. Their power variants are still effective and can burst quite well, but they won't keep a control point vs a condi Rev.
  • Revenant: wide variety of builds, classic power builds have better mobility but the nerfed skills and the heavy condi meta will make the things hard for them.
  • Thief: favorable. I heard that staff Daredevil works well against us but didn't find them. The classic thieves which fought against seemed frail.
  • Warrior: unfavorable. They still run mostly power builds that can endure condis pretty well and have access to good burst and chains of cc; our break stuns are expensive and saving energy for them greatly reduces our damage making very hard to wear them down.

That as a first impressions as gold player, ended season 20 scoring ~1430; I'm sure better players with deeper knownledge of the game would disagree with those opinions but I would gladly read others talking about the subject.

@Buran.3796 said:Had a match in the asura arena with firebrand + core guard vs a mesmer and my condi herald; we lost 3/2 in the last round 28 seconds over the time cap due the map mechanic (which I didn't known) but made over 500k damage. They were a duo team with builds designed to support and bruise the enemies and still we beat them two times (almost 3) and the two times we lost was due the mesmer was unable to endure the pressure. So far Mallyx builds are working really well in the current meta. My thoughs on the matchups:

• Elementalist: tie fight, they have better ranged pressure and mobility but less cc and ways to deal with condis.
  • Engineer: favorable; usually tanky and able to disengage, but the longer the fight goes the worse it becomes to them. Saw variety of builds.
  • Guardian: tie; lot of builds, the best ones are either firebrand support or burn centered. Not that hard: those dps oriented can be killed and those focused in self sustain can be almost unkillable but they can't retain the control point forever.
  • Mesmer: very favorable, our AoE damage cuts clones like a hot knife through butter, Mallyx nulls the condis and power mesmers can't burst carrion Rev nor Jalis Rev.
  • Necro: sligh advantage to us, my fave fight. Their corrupt and chills can be lethal, but their limited acces to stability makes easy to chain cc effects on them. Their strongest builds seems to be condi based, and after four years dealing with them with power Herald the new matchup is refreshing.
  • Ranger: favorable. Their power variants are still effective and can burst quite well, but they won't keep a control point vs a condi Rev.
  • Revenant: wide variety of builds, classic power builds have better mobility but the nerfed skills and the heavy condi meta will make the things hard for them.
  • Thief: favorable. I heard that staff Daredevil works well against us but didn't find them. The classic thieves which fought against seemed frail.
  • Warrior: unfavorable. They still run mostly power builds that can endure condis pretty well and have access to good burst and chains of cc; our break stuns are expensive and saving energy for them greatly reduces our damage making very hard to wear them down.

That as a first impressions as gold player, ended season 20 scoring ~1430; I'm sure better players with deeper knownledge of the game would disagree with those opinions but I would gladly read others talking about the subject.

I’m a bit curious about the engine assessment. I have a guildie that runs a build that he says can easily shutdown a condi Rev. What were the builds you were facing?

@"Lonewolf Kai.3682" said:

I’m a bit curious about the engine assessment. I have a guildie that runs a build that he says can easily shutdown a condi Rev. What were the builds you were facing?

Mostly rifle Holos and some hammer Scrappers. But is hard to value "builds that counter a condi Rev" because currently there's not a clear "meta": there is a lot of variety in the builds that Rev players are using. Yesterday Caith was running in PvP a celestial core Rev with double sword/mace + axe, Jalis + Mallyx and corruption + retribution + invocation; I'm running a carrion Herald with mace + axe/shield, Glint + Mallyx, and I found Renegades running Jalis + Mallyx or Kalla + Mallyx, sometimes wielding short bows, sometimes not. There's a lot of differences in terms of strong and weak points on those builds: Jalis provides better sustain and great team access to stability but is lacking in cc; Glint has better cc, mobility and breakstun access but is weaker mitigating damage. I think that will take probably a few weekly tournaments and the end of this 2 vs 2 season in March to settle a bit which loadouts overall offer better value for Conquest teamplay. I also found a lot of players "bandwagoning" the Necro but being unable to do crap with the class, because despite how tanky can be is really vulnerable to cc.

Still it didn't take much for people to complain about 15 stacks of torment which still does less than Shiro damage on average, legend still easy to control as well. What we have is just CtA overperforming and in need of restoration to 35 Energy and 5 seconds, that reminds of people saying when it was completely useless compared Unyielding Anguish, boy were they wrong, the radius is fine otherwise, 240 was clunky and too hard to land in a teamfight, it brings forth attention to the pressure Mallyx can bring but as said right now, it's cost is too low and effectively too strong because of that.

EtD is just Torment, Condition Revenant does as best 4 different conditions reliably, it doesn't need to get gutted.

@Shao.7236 said:that reminds of people saying when it was completely useless compared Unyielding Anguish, boy were they wrong,

People saying this weren’t wrong back then. You can’t just take statements that were made about a previous meta (when stability uptimes were doubled, stun breaks more plentiful, and power damage very high) and then after massive changes to how the game is played say “oh look at you guys you were totally wrong this skill is actually amazing.” No, the skill wasn’t great in the previous meta (okay to good at best) and only excels now due to the insane shakeup the game had

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

@Shao.7236 said:that reminds of people saying when it was completely useless compared Unyielding Anguish, boy were they wrong,

People saying this weren’t wrong back then. You can’t just take statements that were made about a previous meta (when stability uptimes were doubled, stun breaks more plentiful, and power damage very high) and then after massive changes to how the game is played say “oh look at you guys you were totally wrong this skill is actually amazing.” No, the skill wasn’t great in the previous meta (okay to good at best) and only excels now due to the insane shakeup the game had

Why do you think an AoE that can be blocked is better though compared the latter that is mobile and offer twice the damage without the trait? Has me confused.

@Shao.7236 said:

Why do you think an AoE that can be blocked is better though compared the latter that is mobile and offer twice the damage without the trait? Has me confused.

I’m not really speaking on the EtD change; only speaking on the UA -> CtA change. Obviously the damage change to EtD was better (mostly), but CtA wasn’t great previously which is the entire point of my post in response to your comments on CtA. It’s certainly possible to think the EtD changes were good while acknowledging that the CtA change was lackluster (mostly) up until now

I’m not really speaking on the EtD change; only speaking on the UA -> CtA change. Obviously the damage change to EtD was better (mostly), but CtA wasn’t great previously which is the entire point of my post in response to your comments on CtA. It’s certainly possible to think the EtD changes were good while acknowledging that the CtA change was lackluster (mostly) up until now

But the skill intend and purpose was the same which is.. Why you gotta wonder. Just if though. Would you think that CtA (Doesn't matter the old or new.) would be better off gone and we have UA and new EtD together?

@Shao.7236 said:

But the skill intend and purpose was the same which is.. Why you gotta wonder. Just if though. Would you think that CtA (Doesn't matter the old or new.) would be better off gone and we have UA and new EtD together?

I don’t think that and if you think I think that then you’re misinterpreting my previous posts

I don’t think that and if you think I think that then you’re misinterpreting my previous posts

No I'm asking because the past opinion of the majority was that UA was better overall and feels like you were on that side as I remember reading.