Official Feedback Thread about Build and Equipment Templates

@Rubi Bayer.8493 said:• Ease of swapping legendary equipment between characters.

What does that even mean?

And ya'll have other serious issues, like your greedy Monetization. It hurts the players that have multiple alt characters and so much more-- we have been telling you on Reddit and Forums about how out of bounds you've gone. I hope you change your mind because this and so much more is going to kill a lot of your player base.

It'd be fair for you to give us more detail on how you will adress these issues, since we're going to have to wait this long.Because the way it's described it's not possible to figure out how you're gonna address it.

Also i don't think we need to give much more feedback, you've got 14 pages of feedback which not all is addressed in your post.

And remove build template stuff from the gemstore, because monetizing the way they are now is not ok.

@Reverielle.3972 said:

@"Rubi Bayer.8493" said:Here are the pieces of feedback we’re currently working on addressing:

For me, the most interfering part so far has been that situational changes to skills that I make persist between maps/play sessions and do not reset back to what the "template" was set to.Since you haven't mentioned that in your list, it makes me wary that that functionality can not be supported fundamentally because it would require an extra "template slot" to act as a "current template slot" into which actual persistent templates would be copied.

This function is already a part of Build Templates:Save the Template to your Build Storage. Left click on it and select and select 'Yes', and it will overview (or reset as you say) the current Build Template, back to whatever you saved it as. That way any situation changes made on the fly to your Build Template can be reset to your last save with two mouse clicks.

Those are the account-wide storages for templates. You shouldn't need to use those to save your character builds on. Obviously if you have more than a handful of characters you'd quickly run out of space even if you're just using the three free build templates, and you have to start re-saving them every time you want to make a temporary change. That's an okay work-around for some people but it's not an acceptable substitute for the functionality being built in properly.

@BlackyWarsX.5384 said:

@Rubi Bayer.8493 said:We’ll keep reading your feedback, so please continue to share your thoughts as you play with templates.Thank you!

I already gave two comments of elaborate feedback that I don't think need repeating, but please make this post sticky again. It's clearly better to keep it visible for both you and the players.

This.Also, I am not playing with templates.

My only other thought is this (why should we try and help you fix your shit - somebody already did that; it's called Arc Templates):

Let me use Arc templates again if I prefer - it is better in almost every conceivable way. Why don't you have a look at it? You know, see how a successful templates design worked, and maybe emulate it? Or you just gonna fumble around with the rubbish we got now?One guy. One. In his spare time. Created an elegant, simple, practically limitless solution to a templates design that made exploring endgame content in gw2 a lot of fun. And it was free.If you bought his design off him, put it in your store, and charged me 5000 gems for it, more even, I would pay it.Instead, what you have done is senseless, embarrassingly poor and shameful really.You're ruining your game.Enjoy the holidays.

@Rubi Bayer.8493 said:Hi, everyone,

Thank you for all the constructive feedback you’ve provided about templates. We’ve spent a lot of time reading and discussing your thoughts, and we’ve identified a few updates we feel confident we can start working on.

Here are the pieces of feedback we’re currently working on addressing:• Automatically switching build and equipment templates when a character enters or exits PvP and WvW. We’ll need to make updates to this functionality to further integrate templates with PvP.• Ease of swapping legendary equipment between characters.• Greater flexibility when making experimental changes to templates.Because we have limited time to program, test, and implement these changes before the winter holidays, we’ll be able to give you a progress update early in the new year.

We’ll keep reading your feedback, so please continue to share your thoughts as you play with templates.Thank you!

So... no changes to the absurd pricing? I would still need to buy gems equivalent to or higher than the cost of an expansion in order to unlock this feature fully for only two of my characters? I'm still not buying any then.

Thank you for responding.

Thank you for all the constructive feedback you’ve provided about templates. We’ve spent a lot of time reading and discussing your thoughts, and we’ve identified a few updates we feel confident we can start working on.

Please roll back and remove templates until they are actually ready.

• Automatically switching build and equipment templates when a character enters or exits PvP and WvW. We’ll need to make updates to this functionality to further integrate templates with PvP.

This is a good start.

• Ease of swapping legendary equipment between characters.• Greater flexibility when making experimental changes to templates.

I hope this means a fix for hot-swapping legendaries and creating a save button.

Because we have limited time to program, test, and implement these changes before the winter holidays, we’ll be able to give you a progress update early in the new year.

We’ll keep reading your feedback, so please continue to share your thoughts as you play with templates.Thank you!

Thank you for responding but this needs more attention. Please, re-sticky this thread and ask that someone working on it gives us a clearer outline of changes Anet is willing to make.

@"Lascax.2163" said:"Hey, we heard you back!Thank you for waiting 3 weeks, it'll be worth it!So, we are going to tell you we'll finish implementing the Build Templates next year.See ya next time!"If that was only true. Unfortunately, most of the problems with the build templates weren't even mentioned at all, so i guess they won't be fixed. So, the system will remain both heavily overpriced, and of a very limited usefulness. And we still had to lose Arc templates for that.

@Kolzi.5928 said:

@"Rubi Bayer.8493" said:Here are the pieces of feedback we’re currently working on addressing:

For me, the most interfering part so far has been that situational changes to skills that I make persist between maps/play sessions and do not reset back to what the "template" was set to.Since you haven't mentioned that in your list, it makes me wary that that functionality can not be supported fundamentally because it would require an extra "template slot" to act as a "current template slot" into which actual persistent templates would be copied.

This function is already a part of Build Templates:Save the Template to your Build Storage. Left click on it and select and select 'Yes', and it will overview (or reset as you say) the current Build Template, back to whatever you saved it as. That way any situation changes made on the fly to your Build Template can be reset to your last save with two mouse clicks.

Those are the account-wide storages for templates. You shouldn't need to use those to save your character builds on. Obviously if you have more than a handful of characters you'd quickly run out of space even if you're just using the three free build templates, and you have to start re-saving them every time you want to make a temporary change. That's an okay work-around for some people but it's not an acceptable substitute for the functionality being built in properly.

It's clear the Template system was not designed to be able to save/keep every nuance of a build. A simple remedy is to have your most diverse/most-used readily available, and any slight build changes adjust from there like we always have.

These changes are a good but Still you didn't address the following concerns expressed by the vast majority of veteran players:

1) Why holders of multiple Legendary equipment like armor, trinkets, backpack and weapons are forced to pay full price for equipment templates while they don't use the extra equipment slots it offers.2) Why the system is so limited to only 2 free equipment templates and 6 in total.3) Why each character is limited to only 6 build templates.4) Why you need gems to unlock the account wide build templates when it's just a string of text already by-passed by 3rd party overlay programs or even guild messages.5) Why there is no function to "tie" build and equipment template to one key.

I hope that "• Greater flexibility when making experimental changes to templates." means that there will be a "save/load" button for both equipment and build templates and that you will turn them to actual templates because now it's just loadouts.

Still I am very concerned about the whole feature and I am convinced that this feature could have been way more user friendly with less clicks, more consumer friendly costing less money and It could take more consideration to people that have spent a lot of time in the game (playing all 3 modes, having multiple Legendary gears/sets, mix-maxing for every situation, playing with different builds etc etc).

I strongly believe that this feature was supposed to bring the players back to the game while captivating all the players already playing the game. Needless to say that you missed the mark by a long shot.

@"Reverielle.3972" said:

It's clear the Template system was not designed to be able to save/keep every nuance of a build.

You're missing the point. This isn't about needing to be able to "save/keep" every nuance of a build (although I would argue it is too limited there as well). You need to be able to swap those nuances and then use a template to swap back to your main build.

For example if you play druid on SH, you swap the marksmanship and the longbow piercing trait. You then have to manually swap your traits back, you should not have to because being able to instantly load a build is the whole point of templates. If you directly changed to playing another build for the next boss, and then you went back to playing druid it would load up with marksmanship which you don't want. This isn't about saving a build with marksmanship, it's about your normal build not auto-updating to include marksmanship when you don't want it to. Yes you can get around this by putting your build into build storage, but that is a) limited by the amount of build storage slots you have which is a very serious issue if you play more than a couple of characters and b) extra work every time you want to change builds which shouldn't be necessary in a system that is supposedly designed to make it as easy as possible to change between builds.

A simple remedy is to have your most diverse/most-used readily available, and any slight build changes adjust from there like we always have.

Which is exactly what it doesn't do because you cannot save your core build on the templates, and you cannot save all your core builds in build storage if you play multiple characters (not that you should need to do this workaround anyway).

@Nelict.7589 said:2) Why the system is so limited to only 2 free equipment templates and 6 in total.3) Why each character is limited to only 6 build templates.They will expand it overtime, just like the shared inventory slots.Main reason is to try and hide the absurd price it costs to max it out.They start with a lower amount (6,6), which currently costs 2900 gems to max out on one character, bit over 36$.After some time, they will expend this, to lets say.. 10 slots for gear/traits (10,10). That would cost 6100 gems to max on one character, bit over 76$!!!!.

Basicaly, paying 76$ in one day sounds EXTREMLY bad for this feature, however, spending those 76$ over a course of a year suddenly sounds alot less extreme, doesnt it ?Its just a marketing move, nothing else. In the end, those that want to max them out will spend the same absurd amount of money. Its just so it seems less extreme.

@Rubi Bayer.8493 said:Hi, everyone,

Here are the pieces of feedback we’re currently working on addressing:• Automatically switching build and equipment templates when a character enters or exits PvP and WvW. We’ll need to make updates to this functionality to further integrate templates with PvP.• Ease of swapping legendary equipment between characters.• Greater flexibility when making experimental changes to templates.Because we have limited time to program, test, and implement these changes before the winter holidays, we’ll be able to give you a progress update early in the new year.

I'm glad there is a response finally. I bet people would like more often updates and future plan to be posted by you or someone else from ArenaNet.

I'd really like you to think about different looks for each template without using transmutation charges for legendary users, because right now people with legendary armor/weapon have it worse than people with ascended. One of the best improvement for me with legendary was that it didn't clutter my inventory (with 8 different builds it's a lot of inventory taken) and a biggest drawback was I couldn't change armor looks with different builds. Obviously I would like for my tank build to look knight-like and for my stealthy build to look rogue-like etc. Right now people with ascended armor can have different looks and no drawback with inventory space taken - I'd like to be able to have the same too as a legendary armor user - my template slots cost the same yet they don't give me the same benefit as they're not freeing my inventory space at all, so I'd like to have different look functionality like ascended armor users.Please consider this.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Monkey See.1498" said:You guys are such needy babies Jesus Christ.Yes, wanting the system to be good at what it was supposed to do, and not having to sell your organs to get it are quite unreasonable expectations/sarcasm

There's having feedback and wanting a system improved and then there's "WHY AREN'T THE DEVS RETURNING MY CALLS?! I LEFT THEM 1,000 VOICE MAILS ALREADY!"

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Monkey See.1498 said:You guys are such needy babies Jesus Christ.Yes, wanting the system to be good at what it was supposed to do, and not having to sell your organs to get it are quite unreasonable expectations these days, it seems/sarcasm

Careful now anet might forum ban you if you aren't a positive ray of sunshine about all their terrible choices.

Something that is very annoying with the new template system is that it doesn`t remember the initial build if you make some changes onto it. I would like to have a template to be set in stone but depending on the encounter I might want to change some traits and when that is done to just revert back to how it was initially.

@Kolzi.5928 said:

@"Reverielle.3972" said:

It's clear the Template system was not designed to be able to save/keep every nuance of a build.

You're missing the point. This isn't about needing to be able to "save/keep" every nuance of a build (although I would argue it is too limited there as well). You need to be able to swap those nuances and then use a template to swap back to your main build.

For example if you play druid on SH, you swap the marksmanship and the longbow piercing trait. You then have to manually swap your traits back, you should not have to because being able to instantly load a build is the whole point of templates. If you directly changed to playing another build for the next boss, and then you went back to playing druid it would load up with marksmanship which you don't want. This isn't about saving a build with marksmanship, it's about your normal build not auto-updating to include marksmanship when you don't want it to. Yes you can get around this by putting your build into build storage, but that is a) limited by the amount of build storage slots you have which is a very serious issue if you play more than a couple of characters and b) extra work every time you want to change builds which shouldn't be necessary in a system that is supposedly designed to make it as easy as possible to change between builds.

A simple remedy is to have your most diverse/most-used readily available, and any slight build changes adjust from there like we always have.

Which is exactly what it doesn't do because you cannot save your core build on the templates, and you cannot save all your core builds in build storage if you play multiple characters (not that you should need to do this workaround anyway).

As simple as it is to change one way, it's that simple to change back the other way. I'm not saying it's perfect, but for now (for the next couple of months anyways) it is what it is and we have workaround (change nuances as you go/use account storage), which - once you get use to - isn't that hard to master, nor does it take much time. I understand the point you're making, I'm disagreeing that it's a significant problem in lieu of the other more glaring shortcomings of the system currently.

@"Rubi Bayer.8493" said:• Automatically switching build and equipment templates when a character enters or exits PvP and WvW. We’ll need to make updates to this functionality to further integrate templates with PvP.• Ease of swapping legendary equipment between characters.• Greater flexibility when making experimental changes to templates.

I find it disappointing that this is apparently all that ArenaNet are planning on addressing. The latter two are vague and could mean a number of things but it does not seem that they will go far enough to address the issues with this system and in particular these seem to do nothing to address the fact that the entire design was mangled in order to support excessive monetisation (although "Greater flexibility when making experimental changes to templates" could possibly improve something there).

@"susana.7814" said:Careful now anet might forum ban you if you aren't a positive ray of sunshine about all their terrible choices.

Hi there!!!! I'm back from the recently ban I got for aknowledge that this thread was unsticked. Also my thread was remove :)

Anyway been deleted or not I want to say this response is not enough.They basically are saying:"We are not changing our planning only because you don't like our mess. Keep playing with this clutterf%$*ck system til we decide when to put a moment in our schedules to work in a rework of this garbage that we gave you although you comunity told us it wasn't a good system a month before and we decided to not care about your feedback and implemented it into the game. Also, keep buying all this rubbish system that is put behind a monetization wall which money won't be used to improved the game."

All these days of being banned I still have read all the comments in the thread and im really really glad to not be the only one that has his mindset into this:I am not going to waste money nor play the game till this system is change to a playable AND ethically state.

Thanks everyone that is fighting and giving opinions to this. You are the voice of change! <3

@Rubi Bayer.8493 said:We’ll keep reading your feedback, so please continue to share your thoughts as you play with templates.

Allright dear Anet representative person here is my constructive feedback;Pros:-Implementation of easy build swapping mechanic loadouts are good for the game-New inventory spaces created cuz of the new system-6 diffent gear and 6 different skill/trait slots available-relatively easy to share buildsNeutral:-24 build storage slot added to the game-No swapping time between builds tho sometimes freezes the game-we are able to name buildsCon:-No fixed build can be set so if I forget I made changes it will stay like that-TRIPLE MONETIZATION-low amount of slots !-These are not templates we need an option to bind gear to trait slots-Game somehow started to kick me at random times. Random dc s experienced-Legendary items have less benefits. Only has value of skin now.-Triple Monetization * minimum 9 characters.

What can be added :-A button for loadout or future templates on UI-legal version of ArcDPS templates which is also bought with gem and some of the money goes to original 3rd party developer

thanks for the trouble

@Nick.5276 said:In someways it doesn't really matter to me now. I've really enjoyed GW2 and love my characters, but after they introduced this awful system I've stopped playing, Path of Exile and mechwarrior have regained my attention so I'll just sadly leave it. Good luck fighting the fight guys and gals.

Yeah I'll be playing other games too cuz of this system. I just wish I haven't bought character slots with real money 1 month before this system got implemented, now I feel like its wasted money. Anyway, I hope more people got discourage from playing the game with this system so the company sees that they need the urge to change it to a better one. You will only see me connecting 1 sec to the game when new LS5 chapters arrives and ONLY because I dont want to spare a diem in order to have them later.·New LS chapter->logging->getting chapter unlocked->unlogging->dust->REPEAT.