Mounts pointless now?

Teon.5168

Besides the coolness factor, of course.

With the speed nerf to mounts, I can now stick with mounted players when running signet of the hunt on my ranger. I actually went out and tested this tonight, just to see how bad the mount speed nerf was. I have a mount, but I brought up signet of the hunt after taking a camp with a bunch of peeps to see how close I could stay to them. After taking the camp, a few peeps jumped on their mounts and took off, and I was glued to their tails for quite some time. Sure, they can use their jump ability to leap further ahead, but then I use swoop to do the same.

So what is the point of the mount, now? And I am not the only class that has speed abilities.

This just indicates to me how completely clueless Anet is as to BASIC abilities that classes have access to. What's next? Nerfing signet of the hunt and other class speed abilities?

Please correct me if I am missing something here. Seems like a very dumb and clueless nerf to the mount's speed.

My mind is just boggled as to the dev's ignorance of classes and their basic abilities with this one. Or maybe the devs just didn't even consider this, which is even more mind boggling.

I mean, it took me all of 10 minutes to test this. How hard is that?

Again, please enlighten me if I am wrong on this. Like I said, I tested it tonight.

@Teon.5168 said:Besides the coolness factor, of course.

With the speed nerf to mounts, I can now stick with mounted players when running signet of the hunt on my ranger. I actually went out and tested this tonight, just to see how bad the mount speed nerf was. I have a mount, but I brought up signet of the hunt after taking a camp with a bunch of peeps to see how close I could stay to them. After taking the camp, a few peeps jumped on their mounts and took off, and I was glued to their tails for quite some time. Sure, they can use their jump ability to leap further ahead, but then I use swoop to do the same.

So what is the point of the mount, now? And I am not the only class that has speed abilities.

This just indicates to me how completely clueless Anet is as to BASIC abilities that classes have access to. What's next? Nerfing signet of the hunt and other class speed abilities?

Please correct me if I am missing something here. Seems like a very dumb and clueless nerf to the mount's speed.

My mind is just boggled as to the ignorance of classes and their basic abilities with this one. Or maybe the devs just didn't even consider this, which is even more mind boggling.

Again, please enlighten me if I am wrong on this. Like I said, I tested it tonight.

You do realize they made it so you move just as fast as mounts when around people with mounts and the mastery, correct? Your signet of the hunt had nothing to do with it. Working as intended.

If you want to know what is the point of mounting up yourself know instead of just running alongside someone mounted. Extra HP and evades.

@God.2708 said:

My mind is just boggled as to the ignorance of classes and their basic abilities with this one. Or maybe the devs just didn't even consider this, which is even more mind boggling.

You do realize they made it so you move just as fast as mounts when around people with mounts and the mastery, correct? Your signet of the hunt had nothing to do with it. Working as intended.

If you want to know what is the point of mounting up yourself know instead of just running alongside someone mounted. Extra HP and evades.

Was that in this current patch? A few weeks back, I was not able to stick with a group on mounts when I was running signet of the hunt.I have been known to miss previous patch notes before, so thanks for the heads up. :)

And yea, on the evades and HP....knew that.That's why I asked for clarification, as I regularly miss notes here and there.

My apologies for the dev knockdowns since I obviously missed some patch notes down the road.

@Teon.5168 said:

@God.2708 said:

Was that in this current patch? A few weeks back, I was not able to stick with a group on mounts when I was running signet of the hunt.I have been known to miss previous patch notes before, so thanks for the heads up. :)

And yea, on the evades and HP....knew that.That's why I asked for clarification, as I regularly miss notes here and there.

Specifically this under the general section near the very top of the notes:

Warclaw Mastery tier 2 has been reworked:

It no longer grants the warclaw increased movement speed in allied territories.While mounted, it will periodically grant nearby unmounted allies an effect that enables them to run at warclaw speed. This effect will be removed when they stray too far from mounted allies or upon entering combat.

@God.2708 said:

@God.2708 said:

Specifically this under the general section near the very top of the notes:

Warclaw Mastery tier 2 has been reworked:
It no longer grants the warclaw increased movement speed in allied territories.While mounted, it will periodically grant nearby unmounted allies an effect that enables them to run at warclaw speed. This effect will be removed when they stray too far from mounted allies or upon entering combat.

Thanks!!! I appreciate the clarification. Makes sense that it is at the top of the notes, as I usually immediately scroll down to the class info. Obviously, I need to pay a bit more attention to the entire body of the notes before going off on some misinformed rant. :)

@"Teon.5168" said:With the speed nerf to mounts, I can now stick with mounted players when running signet of the hunt on my ranger.

Besides what was already mentioned about the passive Warclaw buff, I am still super gratefull about this. How many times did I catch allies who had swapped out viable skills for speed signets, just because "ugh, running feels so sluggish! I am willingly throwing away important sustain/ damage that would help me and my group just to be a bit fater".

@steki.1478 said:

@Gop.8713 said:The bigger problem is that the elimination of the speed boost in home territories means you can use your mount to run away from ppl indefinitely again. As long as you can get ooc for a moment, they'll never catch you . . .

That's why we have lance.

You still have more dodges than lances, and even if you get dismounted then again, all you have to do is get ooc for a moment and you're off again. Yesterday after patch I ran from air to fire through south desert pursued by five enemy players. Three of them gave up before we got all the way to fire but we were in their controlled territory the whole way, I was dismounted twice and at no point was I in any real danger of getting killed . . .

I should say that it was probably incorrect for me to identify this as a 'problem', as this was an original feature of the mount that was later nerfed due to player complaints. It's just as reasonable to assume that it was intentionally reintroduced to balance some of the other mount nerfs. I am personally not pleased to see its return, but that doesn't make it 'bad' . . .

@God.2708 said:If you want to know what is the point of mounting up yourself know instead of just running alongside someone mounted. Extra HP and evades.

That and if you are running beside a warclaw for the speed buff, any attack that puts you into combat causes you to lose it.

Also it is worth mentioning that even with the mastery change, the Warclaw still moves a smidge faster than someone running with swiftness, and not every build out there has access to swiftness, so if you're running solo or returning to your group from spawn, the mount still offers advantages.

Warclaws are also very helpful now with Golem rushes....though I suspect that will be hotfixed before reset at end of the week.

@DragonSlayer.1087 said:They should have kept the speed buff in territories and added the debuff when you get hit and puts you ‘in combat”.

Have to agree we no longer have a reason to pre-cap an area to allow our side to move thru an area faster and get to a bigger target. It's also one less reason to defend. Doesn't matter now to defend an objective to allow quicker reaction time to another objective.

@steki.1478 said:

@Gop.8713 said:The bigger problem is that the elimination of the speed boost in home territories means you can use your mount to run away from ppl indefinitely again. As long as you can get ooc for a moment, they'll never catch you . . .

Lance does zero good if the target is already out of range when you both mount.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

Then it isnt any different compared to both players not using mounts. You just get to your destination quicker.

@Gop.8713 said:

You still have more dodges than lances, and even if you get dismounted then again, all you have to do is get ooc for a moment and you're off again. Yesterday after patch I ran from air to fire through south desert pursued by five enemy players. Three of them gave up before we got all the way to fire but we were in their controlled territory the whole way, I was dismounted twice and at no point was I in any real danger of getting killed . . .

I should say that it was probably incorrect for me to identify this as a 'problem', as this was an original feature of the mount that was later nerfed due to player complaints. It's just as reasonable to assume that it was intentionally reintroduced to balance some of the other mount nerfs. I am personally not pleased to see its return, but that doesn't make it 'bad' . . .

Lance keeps you in combat for a while though. If 2 people are chasing 1 then the one on the mount can always catch up to dismounted target.

You not being in danger can mean that you were being chased by a player with random skills, no mobility/cc etc while you obviously know how to escape on your main class, and that would be the case with or without the mount.

@steki.1478 said:

Then it isnt any different compared to both players not using mounts. You just get to your destination quicker.

Except that I could create my build to be a chaser to catch the target where as it now makes it so both are the same if the distance is already there. It also removes one more reason to control an area.

@steki.1478 said:

Then it isnt any different compared to both players not using mounts. You just get to your destination quicker.But it is different that what we had before, when the player in their home territory had the advantage . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

Lance keeps you in combat for a while though. If 2 people are chasing 1 then the one on the mount can always catch up to dismounted target.

You not being in danger can mean that you were being chased by a player with random skills, no mobility/cc etc while you obviously know how to escape on your main class, and that would be the case with or without the mount.Except I was being chased by multiple players, and I'm still learning this class. I die a lot, but at least now I can run away :)

@XenesisII.1540 said:Man, some of you people sound really desperate just to score a kill, like to the point you just want people off mounts, standing still afk waiting for you to come kill them. If you can't catch someone go look for something else, there's plenty of targets in wvw, cripes.

It's primarily a problem for players who are trying to play the mode as designed, rather than just as sandbox pvp. If every pk is equal to you then yes, those are easy to come by. But if you choose where and who you fight in service of a larger objective, the defenders have lost another advantage . . .