Developers, any chance you can allow multiboxing in wvw if accounts are on the same server

Trump.6983

Hello,

About 1 year ago Gaile Gray who no longer is at ANet updated the guidelines regarding some grey areas in the game, lfg selling and multiboxing policies. One of the major changes that came with this update was the prohibition of multiboxing in ALL competetive enviroments, with the only exception being hotjoin matches to do your dailies in. This means you are not allowed to multibox in normal pvp and world vs world.

Multiboxing in pvp had been a problem prior to this change, teams with multiple accounts would team up for tournaments and just afk. This would give them participation rewards such as gold coin. This is of course not healthy for the game and everyone praised this change.

While prohibiting multiboxing in pvp makes sense, multiboxing in world vs world was also forbidden. This is unfortunate and should have not been implemented the way it was. There are legitimate ways of multiboxing in world vs world that does not ruin the experience for other players or makes you absolutely useless to your teammates, like in pvp.

Multiboxing in world vs world should be allowed if you abide by the already existing rules about multiboxing and my proposed updated rule:

1. Accounts must be on the same server (this way you cant grriefe the opposing teams)

Having characters on your enemies team gives you an unfair advantage. Imagine this scenario, you are commanding and you have a account on the opposite team, now you can see their every movement. This is an unfair advantage and would not happen if all accounts are on the same server.

Legitimate ways of multiboxing in world vs world is scouting your allied objectives with multiple accounts and trying to take objectives. A multiboxer will never be as swift or good in combat as a solo player. A solo player will always have the advantage in a fight against a multibóxer. Scouting in world vs world is a legitimate way of playing but is something not many people like to do. Trying to take structures with multiple accounts is a challenge in itself but if its t0 you have a small chance of taking it.

Edge of the mists. Edge of the mists is an absolute deserted map, you can run through the entire map and not find a single soul. Objectives usually remain neutral for the entirety of the matchup. Why am i not allowed to try and do my dailies or try and capture a tower when it affects no ones game experience. http://prntscr.com/roxpk9

Pvp and world vs world are not the same gamemodes, they should not be treated the same way only because they are competetive.

I have spoken to support about decisions regarding policies but they direct me to the developers at ANet, so I hope some ANet developer see this and can maybe reevaluate their policy.

Thank you

No, theirs a diff between multi-boxing and having a secondary monitor set up which I know some do with an alt account sitting in scouting lets say bay. Multi boxing is you and all 3 or four accounts are linked via one keyboard and all running together/casting at the same time etc which should be banned in all forms of the game. So idk what you are asking for. No way you will stop one dudes alt account to tag watch while being in discord on the opposing team giving away movements etc. Or logging in to pull tactics before his server attacks so that already happens. Multiboxing will and should never be allowed and in a perfect world the other scenarios could be enforced but players will cheat for any advantage.

@Jilora.9524 said:No, theirs a diff between multi-boxing and having a secondary monitor set up which I know some do with an alt account sitting in scouting lets say bay. Multi boxing is you and all 3 or four accounts are linked via one keyboard and all running together/casting at the same time etc which should be banned in all forms of the game. So idk what you are asking for. No way you will stop one dudes alt account to tag watch while being in discord on the opposing team giving away movements etc. Or logging in to pull tactics before his server attacks so that already happens. Multiboxing will and should never be allowed and in a perfect world the other scenarios could be enforced but players will cheat for any advantage.

The definition of multiboxing is running multiple accounts at the same time. Multiboxing is allowed if you abide by the policies. Just because you are multiboxing does not mean you are using 3rd party tools or macros to cast multiple skills simultaneously across all accounts.

Someone told me Anet have detection systems to see if someone is using multiple accounts. So even if its 1 alt account Anet could detect this.

Having X amount of alts on a map, means X amounts of ppl wont make it into the map. That means that your alt accounts (lets name em bots), will not only be be useless for your server, but a huge disadvantage.Multiboxing in competitive modes is a huge nono. Like it or not, WvW IS a competitive mode. Its not PvE.

Wanna do your dailies? By all means, do em for each of your accounts.

What do you hope to gain from this? Dont tell me its just the dailies, thats a non issue.

@Voltekka.2375 said:Having X amount of alts on a map, means X amounts of ppl wont make it into the map. That means that your alt accounts (lets name em bots), will not only be be useless for your server, but a huge disadvantage.Multiboxing in competitive modes is a huge nono. Like it or not, WvW IS a competitive mode. Its not PvE.

What do you hope to gain from this? Dont tell me its just the dailies, thats a non issue.

Then make it so multiboxing only is allowed on maps that is not full aka does not have a queue. I am on a t1 server and we barely have a queue during the week, if theres a queue its at peak hours but only at 1 or 2 borders. PVE maps got a limited amount of slots on their maps also and multiboxing is allowed there, as long as you are not standing still at the spawn doing kitten all this should not be a problem. At any given time there are solo accounts afking at spawn doing nothing, with queue or no queue.

Scouting a structure for your server helps your server. Not only the server as a whole but whoever is leading at that time... scouting is frowned upon by the community because its boring and not all commanders use discord for scout reports.

As a multiboxer i am completely locked out of a big part of the game for no reason really. I understand why its prohibited in pvp, you cant possibly have a reasonable chance against 5 other players other then be there to afk for rewards. world vs world has alot of fun potential. Duoq in pvp is the biggest factor for unbalanced and unfair matches and its implemented by ANet themselves.

Not everything has to be about rewards, i like to challenge myself doing stuff with multiple accounts simultaneously.

Personally I would scout when i lead on my main account, If i'm not leading i would try capture structures or just be helpful for my server. Doing dailies was just an example.

@"Trump.6983" said:Hello,

About 1 year ago Gaile Gray who no longer is at ANet updated the guidelines regarding some grey areas in the game, lfg selling and multiboxing policies. One of the major changes that came with this update was the prohibition of multiboxing in ALL competetive enviroments, with the only exception being hotjoin matches to do your dailies in. This means you are not allowed to multibox in normal pvp and world vs world.

Multiboxing in pvp had been a problem prior to this change, teams with multiple accounts would team up for tournaments and just afk. This would give them participation rewards such as gold coin. This is of course not healthy for the game and everyone praised this change.

While prohibiting multiboxing in pvp makes sense, multiboxing in world vs world was also forbidden. This is unfortunate and should have not been implemented the way it was. There are legitimate ways of multiboxing in world vs world that does not ruin the experience for other players or makes you absolutely useless to your teammates, like in pvp.

Multiboxing in world vs world should be allowed if you abide by the already existing rules about multiboxing and my proposed updated rule:

1. Accounts must be on the same server (this way you cant grriefe the opposing teams)

Having characters on your enemies team gives you an unfair advantage. Imagine this scenario, you are commanding and you have a account on the opposite team, now you can see their every movement. This is an unfair advantage and would not happen if all accounts are on the same server.

Legitimate ways of multiboxing in world vs world is scouting your allied objectives with multiple accounts and trying to take objectives. A multiboxer will never be as swift or good in combat as a solo player. A solo player will always have the advantage in a fight against a multibóxer. Scouting in world vs world is a legitimate way of playing but is something not many people like to do. Trying to take structures with multiple accounts is a challenge in itself but if its t0 you have a small chance of taking it.

Edge of the mists. Edge of the mists is an absolute deserted map, you can run through the entire map and not find a single soul. Objectives usually remain neutral for the entirety of the matchup. Why am i not allowed to try and do my dailies or try and capture a tower when it affects no ones game experience. http://prntscr.com/roxpk9

Pvp and world vs world are not the same gamemodes, they should not be treated the same way only because they are competetive.

I have spoken to support about decisions regarding policies but they direct me to the developers at ANet, so I hope some ANet developer see this and can maybe reevaluate their policy.

Thank you

I'm pretty sure Anet will never encourage or allow it in pvp modes for various reasons.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/65546/policy-dual-or-multi-boxing

“Multi-boxing may ONLY be used in PvE areas. You are not permitted to run multiple accounts simultaneously in PvP, WvW, activities, or in other competitive environments.”

Thx for the explanation .. i always thought multiboxing means not only having multiple accounts, but playing them at the same time (often by using some sort of tools to be able to handle this) .. wow multiboxing was really unfun because all -for example- 5 accounts where hitting one target just by pressing 1 button .. instakill gg ... NOT fun to play against ^^

@Trump.6983 said:Multiboxing in pvp had been a problem prior to this change, teams with multiple accounts would team up for tournaments and just afk. This would give them participation rewards such as gold coin. This is of course not healthy for the game and everyone praised this change.

How is this different than semi afking multiple accounts for pip ticks in wvw? The approach is nearly the same, except that pvp tournaments are 4 times per day and WvW ticks around the clock.

@Trump.6983 said:While prohibiting multiboxing in pvp makes sense, multiboxing in world vs world was also forbidden. This is unfortunate and should have not been implemented the way it was. There are legitimate ways of multiboxing in world vs world that does not ruin the experience for other players or makes you absolutely useless to your teammates, like in pvp.

True, but sometimes it is easier to flat out disallow something then have to monitor it and let's face it: what you are suggesting would require dedicated monitoring of behavior.

Also multi-boxing directly affects slot availability on a wvw map. Can you guarantee that a multi-boxer leaves map when the map turns full? Again, this requires monitoring.

The question is not if multi-boxing can be implemented. The question is should it be implemented, and unfortunately the answer here is very likely: no.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Trump.6983 said:Multiboxing in pvp had been a problem prior to this change, teams with multiple accounts would team up for tournaments and just afk. This would give them participation rewards such as gold coin. This is of course not healthy for the game and everyone praised this change.

How is this different than semi afking multiple accounts for pip ticks in wvw? The approach is nearly the same, except that pvp tournaments are 4 times per day and WvW ticks around the clock.

@Trump.6983 said:While prohibiting multiboxing in pvp makes sense, multiboxing in world vs world was also forbidden. This is unfortunate and should have not been implemented the way it was. There are legitimate ways of multiboxing in world vs world that does not ruin the experience for other players or makes you absolutely useless to your teammates, like in pvp.

True, but sometimes it is easier to flat out disallow something then have to monitor it and let's face it: what you are suggesting would require dedicated monitoring of behavior.

Also multi-boxing directly affects slot availability on a wvw map. Can you guarantee that a multi-boxer leaves map when the map turns full? Again, this requires monitoring.

The question is not if multi-boxing
can
be implemented. The question is
should
it be implemented, and unfortunately the answer here is very likely: no.

There are simmilarities but the reward track pips requires participation which only lasts for so long. You have to actively play to keep your participation up.

Thats a fair point, but rules are meant for people who abide to them. People who already breach the policies now will continue to breach them. This update would allow people who actually wants to PLAY with multiple accounts legitimately to do so. People who grieve the opposing servers will continue to do so no matter what policies ANet have. Multiboxers would be easier to monitor because there are so few of us.

The question is should it be implemented, and unfortunately the answer here is very likely: no. >Based on the lack of developer activity on threads like this i am afraid you are right.

@Trump.6983 said:

can
should

There are simmilarities but the reward track pips requires participation which only lasts for so long. You have to actively play to keep your participation up.

Thats a fair point, but rules are meant for people who abide to them. People who already breach the policies now will continue to breach them. This update would allow people who actually wants to PLAY with multiple accounts legitimately to do so. People who grieve the opposing servers will continue to do so no matter what policies ANet have. Multiboxers would be easier to monitor because there are so few of us.

The question is should it be implemented, and unfortunately the answer here is very likely: no. >Based on the lack of developer activity on threads like this i am afraid you are right.

No, you just have com give you participation or you be the com and free rewards and pips by hitting spacebar once if they go and allow it. Maybe anet will catch you if you running some shady stuff to have multiple accounts off one IP. But I have 2 accounts I play individually but if say my dad had internet on 1st floor and I had 2 computers I could connect both same time I guess. Sorry I bet theres easier ways off 1 computer and why they felt the need to limit this in games. It is mostly used by bots or gold farmers I'm sure in various games.

@Trump.6983 said:

can
should

The devs read the forums, this section included.

There is no need for players to have multiple accounts unless it's to collect more rewards... And it's easy to do. Anet will not green light players being able to take up limited map population space for players who want to bot/multi-box. And you are sorely mistaken if you don't think a ton of ppl have multiple machines to bot stuff and take up player spaces on maps. It would also be easy to abuse against other servers in a coordinated fashion.

With all that said... You are not getting the devs to let players bot with multiple accounts. No valid or necessary reason to.

You are one player, you get 1 spot on maps with limited capacity. In PvE if a map becomes full another instance of the same map opens. That is not the case in WvW.

Personally I would like to see multiple accounts being used not allowed in PvE either due to meta events etc.

@LaGranse.8652 said:You are one player, you get 1 spot on maps with limited capacity. In PvE if a map becomes full another instance of the same map opens. That is not the case in WvW.

Personally I would like to see multiple accounts being used not allowed in PvE either due to meta events etc.

Thats a valid point. But edge of the mists is also a instanced map, If 1 gets full another one opens. Would you be okay if multiboxing was allowed in edge of the mists? its technically wvw even if wvwers dont think it is. Its instanced, its deserted, the only thing you would be fighting is NPCs and the rewards are significally lowered.

With the state wvw is in and depending on what timezone u are in taking slots from other players would not be a problem. Not all borders are queued throughout the day.

But meta events happens on instanced maps also. metas are completed on numerous maps not just one. First come first serve imo.

@Swagger.1459 said:

can
should

There is no need for players to have multiple accounts unless it's to collect more rewards... And it's easy to do. Anet will not green light players being able to take up limited map population space for players who want to bot/multi-box. And you are sorely mistaken if you don't think a ton of ppl have multiple machines to bot stuff and take up player spaces on maps. It would also be easy to abuse against other servers in a coordinated fashion.

With all that said... You are not getting the devs to let players bot with multiple accounts. No valid or necessary reason to.

Botting is prohibited across all gamemodes.

Yes border maps has limited spots but not all servers have queues throughout the day, mostly during peak hours and not on all servers. While a valid point i think this is an non-issue and would not negatively impact the state of wvw.

If people bot or actively grieve others they risk the chance of being sanctioned. Changing the rules wont make it easier for botters or grievers to do it because they already are, it just gives legitimate players a chance to play the gamemode without being completely locked off to do so.

Unlike pve, in wvw you have to actively play to keep your reward participation up, yes shared participation exists but for that you need to be in a squad with enough members, and that commander have to give you that participation.

@"Trump.6983" said:Scouting in world vs world is a legitimate way of playing but is something not many people like to do."Scouting" in WvW is what players who cannot fight effectively say they are doing in order to give themselves a sense of importance.Competent roamers (who can and do fight) already make the callouts.Dedicated "Scouts" are already the biggest leeches in World vs World. I see no reason to further encourage this degenerate playstyle by allowing these people to do it on multiple accounts at once.

@Fisheye.9147 said:

can
should

Botting is prohibited across all gamemodes.

Yes border maps has limited spots but not all servers have queues throughout the day, mostly during peak hours and not on all servers. While a valid point i think this is an non-issue and would not negatively impact the state of wvw.

It is not a non issue. It might be a temporary "non-issue" in your opinion, or during specific time of day, but allowing multi-boxing CAN create issues down the road if populations shift.

It also requires explicit monitoring, and definitely more monitoring than just simply disallowing it (as to ensure no false positives when punishing players). Which is of primary concern here.

@Fisheye.9147 said:If people bot or actively grieve others they risk the chance of being sanctioned. Changing the rules wont make it easier for botters or grievers to do it because they already are, it just gives legitimate players a chance to play the gamemode without being completely locked off to do so.

Legitimate players can already play the game mode as is intended.

@Fisheye.9147 said:Unlike pve, in wvw you have to actively play to keep your reward participation up, yes shared participation exists but for that you need to be in a squad with enough members, and that commander have to give you that participation.

That would be true IF you couldn't just camp flip every 10 minutes, what is already happening during some times of day.

I am going to repeat what I said earlier:If you want this policy to change you have to argue that:

• it's an overall benefit to the game mode
  • it does not create unnecessary extra workload

Which I summarized as: multi-boxing surely CAN be allowed from a design standpoint (as in rules could be setup in a way to allow it). That is not the same as it SHOULD be allowed (which is far more concerned with how those rules would have to be monitored and other aspects).

The problem however is that not only does it take up a slot on the map, if you have lots of people doing this, it can keep your own server from getting outnumbered, because the map has half of it's slots filled with bots, now, lets say everyone has their bots on home BL because EBG is queued, now Garri is being pushed and the tag tries to move to home BL to defend but....Insta queue because slots are filled with afk bots. Not only that but they can be used for an unfair advantage as well, such as scouting by placing them around the map, something contested etc? Don't need to spend time running there, nope, I can have an instant answer and call out because I keep a bot there....How is that fair?

Allowing this introduces all sorts of problems that would require more resources, which they don't spend on WvW to start with, so NO. I mean you are actually even suggesting these uses in your own post, how do you not understand how that is an unfair advantage in a competitive mode?

@Trump.6983 said:

@"Voltekka.2375" said:Having X amount of alts on a map, means X amounts of ppl wont make it into the map. That means that your alt accounts (lets name em bots), will not only be be useless for your server, but a huge disadvantage.Multiboxing in competitive modes is a huge nono. Like it or not, WvW IS a competitive mode. Its not PvE.

Then make it so multiboxing only is allowed on maps that is not full aka does not have a queue. I am on a t1 server and we barely have a queue during the week, if theres a queue its at peak hours but only at 1 or 2 borders. PVE maps got a limited amount of slots on their maps also and multiboxing is allowed there, as long as you are not standing still at the spawn doing kitten all this should not be a problem. At any given time there are solo accounts afking at spawn doing nothing, with queue or no queue.

That still doesnt explain WHY multiboxing should be allowed. People afking at spawn doesnt make your point any more valid. Unless you want to do the same as those afkers, namely full rewards with minimum effort.Scouting a structure for your server helps your server. Not only the server as a whole but whoever is leading at that time... scouting is frowned upon by the community because its boring and not all commanders use discord for scout reports.

Scouting? As a multiboxer? This is a really weak argument. I play wvw for years, roamers are the best scouts out there. Never EVER have i heard someone say "maaaan, I wish we had a dude with multiple accounts here, so we would know where the enemy is".As a multiboxer i am completely locked out of a big part of the game for no reason really. I understand why its prohibited in pvp, you cant possibly have a reasonable chance against 5 other players other then be there to afk for rewards. world vs world has alot of fun potential. Duoq in pvp is the biggest factor for unbalanced and unfair matches and its implemented by ANet themselves.

Why is this a non issue in pvp? Youre not locked out of anything, btw. You can play wvw with each account, individually. Being locked out means you cant play. This isnt the case, here.Not everything has to be about rewards, i like to challenge myself doing stuff with multiple accounts simultaneously.

I fail to see how this applies in wvw. Solo a keep. Solo a tower. Solo anything you like. Theres the challenge. This isnt pve where you can have your bots doing half the work. Sorry, wvw is mainly a competitive mode which uses pve equipment mentality.Personally I would scout when i lead on my main account, If i'm not leading i would try capture structures or just be helpful for my server. Doing dailies was just an example.Then lead away with any account. Be helpful with any acccount. This doesnt change. However, you still fail to give sufficient reason as to WHY multiboxing in a competitive environment should be a thing. "Scouting, being locked out, dailies" are not really strong arguments.I cant help but sense something else is the issue here.

There are legitimate ways of multiboxing in world vs world that does not ruin the experience for other players or makes you absolutely useless to your teammates, like in pvp.By definition, there aren't any legitimate ways. If PvE maps are full, a new instance is created. WvW maps are unique to the current match-up of servers, which limits the number of players that can join them. Hence the queues at peak hours. If you multibox on five accounts and join WvW on all of them, at any given time you are taking up 4 spaces with the idling accounts while being active on the fifth. How does this not make you absolutely useless to your teammates?That would be a big no-no!I have several accounts, too, and I never thought to multibox in wvw, not even for the dailies... The only things I use it for are Home Instance farming and getting the alt accounts to maps they don't have access to.

No.I think the AFK timer should be reduced to 5 minutes in WvW as it is. People standing around doing nothing contribute nothing, especially with how the meta so drastically favors ktraining (making small-group defenses much more difficult) instead of small group play to backdoor objectives. Those AFK's are in spawn.

Plus, having AFK scouting for blobs exposes a different set of problems because it then totally removes any value at all of smaller groups, since they'll just be seen everywhere they go at a rate where they're detected early enough so they can't take structures and for the literal cavalry of mounted blobs to defend and wipe them/fortify any damage they deal.

I see absolutely zero benefits. Enabling multiple accounts being logged in at once heavily favors zergs, increases queues (making the mode less accessible and less fun), and reduces strategy and value of other players.

If you're getting outplayed, be a better commander, delegate eyes for map awareness, or pay scouts like every other major PPTmander in history has.

So I'll say it again: No.

@"MikeG.6389" said:

There are legitimate ways of multiboxing in world vs world that does not ruin the experience for other players or makes you absolutely useless to your teammates, like in pvp.By definition, there aren't any legitimate ways. If PvE maps are full, a new instance is created. WvW maps are unique to the current match-up of servers, which limits the number of players that can join them. Hence the queues at peak hours. If you multibox on five accounts and join WvW on all of them, at any given time you are taking up 4 spaces with the idling accounts while being active on the fifth. How does this not make you absolutely useless to your teammates?That would be a big no-no!I have several accounts, too, and I never thought to multibox in wvw, not even for the dailies... The only things I use it for are Home Instance farming and getting the alt accounts to maps they don't have access to.

If you are taking up 2 extra slots on an map that is not queued how does that affect my teammates negatively? If i take objectives or sit in allied structures i am more useful than the afkers in spawn tenfold. Like previous user said, just reduce the "afk kick from map" timer to 5 minutes, that way u cant just afk taking up someones slot.

Yes number of players per map is a problem, but only if maps are queued. On the server i am on that happens rarely, not even at peak hours sometimes.

Would you be okay with multiboxing being allowed in edge of the mists?

1. instanced maps. You are not taking anyones spot
  2. Heavily reduced rewards.
  3. No skirmish tickets.
  4. Does not affect "real" world vs world
  5. IS absolutely deserted
  6. Does not have shared participation