Why arent people playing on Desert?

Virdo.1540

When I tried going there, I just fell to death from losing the glider or wasn't able to find my way. So I just don't bother going there anymore.I think there should be an extra daily pool about the desert so people have a bit of incentive to go there.

There's just a lot of useless things and distractions. Yes Alpine has them too but they're tucked into corners. The rest of the stuff isn't conductive to fights and Keep/tower lords are needlessly annoying.

Breaking into towers is also too easy and makes it not worth scouting/defending.

As a returning player and new to the map, its just too big and difficult to navigate, if I zone there and see the commander far away I dont even bother trying to get to the group.Its a shame because its a really beautifully done map

@Kovu.7560 said:Nothing quite like trying to glide somewhere around air or fire keeps just to have them flip on you mid flight. That kitten doesn't happen on the alpine maps.

Hehe this actually happens quite a bit on Alpine border on Dawn/Cragtop lol, I've been on both ends, it's quite hilarious (also if gliding from Hills to SE tower, or NW tower to camp).

A long time ago, I quit wvw and gw2 because of desert because like all fools, I followed the popular opinion.

Thinking for myself now, I ask why I hated it. It was because my friends quit.

Being a bit mature now, although I identify as a 9 yr old gamer at heart, it's actually a great map. Fun to fight in and easy to travel if you know your thing.

Desert is like a diamond in the rough.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@senki.1046 said:that map should be replaced by the alpine borderlands. i hate that desert map, it's too big and verticalAgreed, replaced DBL with ABL and EB with DBL. Problems solved. People get 3 ABL borders and those that like DBL still gets DBL.

They should redesign desert map so that all 3 servers have spawn at the middle but at different heights with multiple exits. This way nothing seems far for anyone and it is perfect ktrain map. Also perfectly balanced.

Basically, Hard to defend, Hard to attack, way too big.In Alpine BL, you could use a single catapult to siege outer and inner walls. In Desert BL, you will need to drop another one to siege inner structures (garri aside).You will need double job to achieve the same objective comparing to alphine.I believe they intentionally made it big to fit more players in the map, but the meta was a failure and people left the game, leaving those big asses maps with 3 kittens roaming around. Then they decided to bring alphine back.

@len.7809 said:Basically, Hard to defend, Hard to attack, way too big.In Alpine BL, you could use a single catapult to siege outer and inner walls. In Desert BL, you will need to drop another one to siege inner structures (garri aside).You will need double job to achieve the same objective comparing to alphine.I believe they intentionally made it big to fit more players in the map, but the meta was a failure and people left the game, leaving those big kitten maps with 3 kittens roaming around. Then they decided to bring alphine back.

I think DBL is just the right size. ABL's and EBG, especially EBG, is too small.

Its a big map in comparison with the others, and I don't play wvw in order to spend most of my time traversing a map.Basically, too big, takes too long to find opposition, filled with irrelevant stuff. It's a snore fest. Yes, I could learn the map better, but life is too short.

@Dusty Moon.4382 said:

@len.7809 said:Basically, Hard to defend, Hard to attack, way too big.In Alpine BL, you could use a single catapult to siege outer and inner walls. In Desert BL, you will need to drop another one to siege inner structures (garri aside).You will need double job to achieve the same objective comparing to alphine.I believe they intentionally made it big to fit more players in the map, but the meta was a failure and people left the game, leaving those big kitten maps with 3 kittens roaming around. Then they decided to bring alphine back.

I think DBL is just the right size. ABL's and EBG, especially EBG, is too small.

When you die for example during Air keep defense being you the red team, and the garri is contested, good luck reaching the air keep in time again.Back in the days when we don't have mounts, when you reached to the gate, the enemies are already spamming /laugh on the gate.If that's the right size, I dunno if this is working as indeed.

@"CrimsonNeonite.1048" said:The other night, we were inside and outside the air keep and it was just a pain to fight around with all the chokepoints and terrain or obstacles around, along with obvious skill lag.

and we still farmed then really well. three times a full blob taken out at firekeep, fought alongside the whole vertical axis of the keep, despite our group overall had only mediocre sustain and our damage output was kinda fluctuating between great and "aim for the horn next time". on air keep, it always depends where u fight, and most of our group there just didn't listen to comm and suicided into the place where lord hits+cc's them, leaving like 10 ppl instant dead when the enemy blob pushed. that wasn't exactly the maps fault, and we only lost the usual slackers who move too far from tag before.

afaik we took air keep 2nd try, was maybe later that night tho.

today with flagor we also pretty much did the whole RBL safari, including a pretty smooth air keep capture, beating two other blobs inside.

skilllag is equally bad on every single map to have. i got stuck often enough on silly unwalkable hills at alpine borders too, and ebg has the same "bad spots". i'm convinced it has to do more with people just not beeing that familiar with DBL, which isn't mainly the maps' fault.

the worst thing about desert is that the cam gets blocked more often than on other borders, while EBG lowlands and the bay center keeps of alpines have that issue too.

I play WvW to roam and fight. The alpine borderland is conducive to this goal while the desert borderland seems designed to make that as difficult as possible. I love vertical maps in open world PvE. The HoT maps are easily my favorite maps in the game! However, I am here to fight and your map design is making that difficult. Thankfully, I have two alpine borderlands to roam!

Because, ANET had a poll that they let pve players and players who don't even play wvw vote to keep the map in rotation and tricked the playerbase at the same time by saying something like if you don't vote for red bl you wont get any new map which made people think they were working on other maps besides red bl.

Basically even with ANET tricking the player base and letting people vote who do not even play the game mode it was still like a 50/50 split almost. So half the people hated in then now that they have realized how bad it is only 5% of the population really like that map.

Becasue ANET refuses to listen to the player base thay are the cause of wvw imbalance, just balance the game and let everyone have the same thing so everyone trys the same and you have a real 3 way. Not 1 server that quits everytime they are red.

@"Warlord.9074" said:Because, ANET had a poll that they let pve players and players who don't even play wvw vote to keep the map in rotation and tricked the playerbase at the same time by saying something like if you don't vote for red bl you wont get any new map which made people think they were working on other maps besides red bl.

Basically even with ANET tricking the player base and letting people vote who do not even play the game mode it was still like a 50/50 split almost. So half the people hated in then now that they have realized how bad it is only 5% of the population really like that map.

Becasue ANET refuses to listen to the player base thay are the cause of wvw imbalance, just balance the game and let everyone have the same thing so everyone trys the same and you have a real 3 way. Not 1 server that quits everytime they are red.Basicly even with Anet "tricking" the playerbase, that same playerbase still managed to nearly destroy WvW during the vote on rotating 3 DBL vs 3 ABL every 2 or so months. What we got now is a bloody lucky compromise that the playerbase nearly choked on.