People are AFK-Botting at Drizzlewood to get unfair map participation / event rewards - [Merged]

Its quite simple to sort this out. (BTW it happens in the opposite direction from Vloxen Mines too.)

Add a Dominion Helicopter on both lanes and get them to path along it every now and then carpet bombing the main path.

Orange Circles would indicated the area the bombs are going to drop in. Make the circles quite large area effect with instant kill on Necromancer pets/Engineer Turrets and zero health on Ranger pets, that get caught up within the blast zones

Put a debuff on players that are caught up in the blast that prevents minions/turrets being recast for 30 seconds and in the case of Ranger pets preventing pet swap/pet regaining health for 30 seconds.

As for the players caught up in it, don't kill them outright, drop their health to 75% and make it so that the blast throws them well clear of the area - like 3000 units.

If they're genuinely at their keyboard and actively playing the game, they'll move when they see the orange circles. If they accidentally get caught up they're not going to instantly die and will just find themselves in a new position albeit without the ability to cast a pet for a short while.

Im surprised more people here havent been complaining about bots in pvp. They are literally running macro programs to play thousands of games and farm thousands of gold each season without ever getting banned. If these pve farms are controversial, then what does that make pvp botting? If pvp bots playing ranked games arent getting banned, then why should afk players in a pve zone?

@"Paradoxoglanis.1904" said:Im surprised more people here havent been complaining about bots in pvp.

Oh, they have been - in the PVP forum.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108519/as-a-player-seeing-bots-in-pvp-is-a-sad-indication-that-anet-simply-do-not-care-enoughhttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108197/bots-in-the-roomhttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1269756

But this is the general forum. Most of the threads you'll find here are regarding PvE.

Botting and exploits are a problem no matter what game mode you're talking about, and even AFK farming done by real humans does its part to hurt the game (by giving the impression of bad actors flooding maps). OP is suggesting implementing ways of cutting down on this sort of behavior in addition to the dev checks and ban waves that already occur.

@Mauzi.5892 said:

@Mauzi.5892 said:It's supposed to be against the rules, but nobody cares.

Where is your proof that it is against the rules. If the player is checked by a GM, and responds, then they are not breaking any rules. Have you even read them?

Here you go:

Stop defending those leeches.

I'm not defending those players. I never have and most likely never will. I am defending the current policy as it is written.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:Haven't spent a ton of time in the new map yet, but if afkers are impacting the meta event for other people it wouldnt surprise me if they did something to fix it eventually. They fixed the afk engi farm in Lake Doric that made it impossible to get on a map that wasn't player capped with a ton of afks, just do something similar.

its not impacting it in a bad way, people are angry that they get nice rewards without doing anything.

Did you miss my post earlier about map instance populations and how afkers may be affecting it increasing difficulty of capturing objectives? I can't confirm if this is how map instancing and population grouping works as I am not a dev, but I suspect this is the case.

Never seen map wide scaling in this game, if they are afk at dolly spots they are to far away to affect any other events mate.

I don't know what you are talking about with map wide scaling. Have you somehow never seen the message to switch to a more populated version of the map when there are few players remaining on the current map (gives you volunteer's blessing effect when you switch)? You need enough dps to capture all the bases before the time limit expires otherwise you can never reach the meta event.

What do this got to do with afkers making it harder to capture points, thats what your first msg was about.I seen afew maps having trouble caping north west corner and thats main due to people not ccing.

If you get the pop up your map got to few people in it period so afkers are not a problem at all.

I don't know what you mean with that last sentence lol. Have you actually played the new map much at all? I've seen many situations where we captured points by less than a minute or missed capturing by a couple of seconds. The capture window for some points is not exactly easy unless there is a large zerg running around participating. If you read the actual first post I explained it clearly. I'm not going to bother keeping repeating myself.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:Im surprised more people here havent been complaining about bots in pvp. They are literally running macro programs to play thousands of games and farm thousands of gold each season without ever getting banned. If these pve farms are controversial, then what does that make pvp botting? If pvp bots playing ranked games arent getting banned, then why should afk players in a pve zone?

Yeah I just recently noticed threads about botting in pvp (I don't pvp so I wasn't aware of this earlier). Seems like this issue is widespread and ArenaNet just don't care.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"Umut.5471" said:
gw044dkjii.jpg

These guys are afk-farming the supply caravan event by staying at this spot everyday. As I observed some of them are using bots/macros to automate the autoattack, some of them just use necro minions.Thus, when the event mobs spawn on them, they hit some of them and get participation from every Vloxen mine supply caravan by doing nothing.I have hidden their names by hiding the UI because it may be against forum rules.

My suggestion: These events are very open to this kind of abuse, a powerful legendary mob can spawn around and attack&kill people who stay in the same spot for prolonged periods then disappear.

Good think being fair has nothing to do with playing the game.

that is prolly why theyre bleeding players, most casual players leave, when that attitude shines throughbeing fair is the very foundation of good gaming, without it , they are just supporting other peoples funthis really shows, how much the GW2 community has changed over the years...

@Yggranya.5201 said:I'm sure with all these repeations everyone can recite it from memory already. Take a break, Kharmin. There will be people against anets laziness whether you want it or not. It's true it's pointless but that won't change reality.And you know for a fact that Anet is being lazy, not that they actively check these players that are reported and find that they are not breaking the current ToS as written? Well, then, I guess I should shut up now since you are all-knowing on the topic.@Yggranya.5201 said:If you want to continue complaining to hurt kharmins feelings then i'm not against it but don't expect anything to change. All MMOs have the same rule to cover their backsides as they ignore it all. After all, "think of the savings!"Why do you have this agenda against me?

Afaik semi-afk farming isn't against the rules. And the people that are still there probably aren't fully afk. (Or ArenaNet does not really check it ant just wants to believe they are allowed semi-afkers that got checked.)

I wouldn't bother. There won't be anychanges. (Except maybe nerfing some rewards if they feel people are farming too much.) But from other areas we know that afk people ("semi-afk") aren't taken care of.

@battledrone.8315 said:

@"Umut.5471" said:
gw044dkjii.jpg

These guys are afk-farming the supply caravan event by staying at this spot everyday. As I observed some of them are using bots/macros to automate the autoattack, some of them just use necro minions.Thus, when the event mobs spawn on them, they hit some of them and get participation from every Vloxen mine supply caravan by doing nothing.I have hidden their names by hiding the UI because it may be against forum rules.

My suggestion: These events are very open to this kind of abuse, a powerful legendary mob can spawn around and attack&kill people who stay in the same spot for prolonged periods then disappear.

that is prolly why theyre bleeding players, most casual players leave, when that attitude shines throughbeing fair is the very foundation of good gaming, without it , they are just supporting other peoples funthis really shows, how much the GW2 community has changed over the years...

That's a nice play on emotions, but it's probably not true. If a few people AFK farming is a big reason people are leaving, then this game would be bursting at the seams with players.

Hello,

Please stay on topic and do not derail this thread as this is against the forum code of conduct policy, which you can find here https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/the-forums-code-of-conduct/. If you for some reason think that you have been personally attacked and feel the need to retaliate please take it to private messages, as forum threads are not appropriate for these kind of discussions. Forum moderators will investigate reports of personal attacks using the many tools at their disposal.

A forum post is not the right way to respond to something like this.

I got an idea:

• Change how the participation works on the map so that instead of only gaining participation points for completing events, have participation points decrease at every reward interval.
  • Then lower the frequency/participation points of the supply bull events to the beginning 2 locations so that eventually, people farming those events never have enough participation to receive periodic rewards.
  • Also would be nice to have the rewards never stop on a map that is actively fighting to get to the final meta, or give everyone a head start of 50% participation. Just to make it not too punishing for people trying to play but having a tough time completing events.

The last point is due to how the map eventually stops giving periodic rewards until the final meta (the bridge siege) is complete. As time goes by, a troop readiness bar fills up. It only goes one direction so it's possible that it fills up completely before all objectives are captured. At that point, there are no more periodic rewards. I have some concern that if map participation could decrease, it might make it too difficult for most players to obtain the best rewards that are received from having over 100% participation. So either more time is needed by never having the rewards cut off or give players a head start. Other tweaks may work too.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"Umut.5471" said:
gw044dkjii.jpg

That's a nice play on emotions, but it's probably not true. If a few people AFK farming is a big reason people are leaving, then this game would be bursting at the seams with players.

not the AFK farming, although that is a problem tooyou didnt even have the courtesy of saying, that fairness doesnt matter to YOUthinking that EVERYONE is on the same level as you in this is a HUGE mistakei would rather play with 1 million friendly noobs, than one toxic hardcore player

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:If whatever questions you're fixated on are so important, then send them to me in a PM. I'll be glad to answer them there.

Why can't you just answer it in the thread? it's still there.

Because I think we have both cluttered up threads with off-topic debate.

Hah! not like that has stopped you before. Example, all the threads you cluttered up with reciting ToS and such. So, what made you care now?

That is not offtopic tho.

@battledrone.8315 said:

@"Umut.5471" said:
gw044dkjii.jpg

not the AFK farming, although that is a problem tooyou didnt even have the courtesy of saying, that fairness doesnt matter to YOUthinking that EVERYONE is on the same level as you in this is a HUGE mistakei would rather play with 1 million friendly noobs, than one toxic hardcore player

I wonder how long you would have fun not completing the meta, since that is what happens when to many clueless players try to take leadfoot village in the new map.

@battledrone.8315 said:

@"Umut.5471" said:
gw044dkjii.jpg

not the AFK farming, although that is a problem too

Well, that's what this thread is talking about ... so if you are making statements that are NOT about AFK farming, don't expect people to not question what you are saying.

Some good ideas in this thread. If nothing else, hopefully the devs can consider them in future content. I think ArenaNet should focus on making the Icebrood Saga as good as possible for the moment in order to keep players interested in the game, since the next expansion is likely delayed and a long time away due to the current pandemic causing difficulty with voice-acting and whatnot.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"Umut.5471" said:
gw044dkjii.jpg

Well, that's what this thread is talking about ... so if you are making statements that are NOT about AFK farming, don't expect people to not question what you are saying.

YOU mentioned, that fairness has NOTHING TO DO WITH PLAYING THE GAMEthat statement is plainly wrong on every level, without fairness , it isnt even a GAMEand person without sense of it is not a real gamer either

@Linken.6345 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:If whatever questions you're fixated on are so important, then send them to me in a PM. I'll be glad to answer them there.

Why can't you just answer it in the thread? it's still there.

Because I think we have both cluttered up threads with off-topic debate.

Hah! not like that has stopped you before. Example, all the threads you cluttered up with reciting ToS and such. So, what made you care now?

That is not offtopic tho.

@"Umut.5471" said:
gw044dkjii.jpg

I wonder how long you would have fun not completing the meta, since that is what happens when to many clueless players try to take leadfoot village in the new map.

i generally dont like metas at all, but this is one of the few that i actually finished. i am not playing anymore, uninstalled againwhatever happens in drizzlewood, they have to do it without my help. too bad, i really liked that map.

@battledrone.8315 said:

@"Umut.5471" said:
gw044dkjii.jpg

YOU mentioned, that fairness has NOTHING TO DO WITH PLAYING THE GAMEthat statement is plainly wrong on every level, without fairness , it isnt even a GAME

No it's not, and that comment was specifically made in context to the topic ... you know, how reasonable people use the forum.

@kharmin.7683 said:Fairness can really only be an issue if there is something competitive.

Sociology would beg to disagree. It's not a competitive sport to be able to live comfortably, yet people still want the equal opportunity to do so and take issue with those who exploit available systems to do it with greater ease.

Videogames aren't on the same level of importance as, say, basic living conditions, but fairness can very much factor into situations which have nothing to do with competition.

Perceived unfairness as a result of afk farming and botting is a problem, whether you can find it written in the TOS or not.

@AgentMoore.9453 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Fairness can really only be an issue if there is something competitive.

Sociology would beg to disagree. It's not a competitive sport to be able to live comfortably, yet people still want the equal opportunity to do so and take issue with those who exploit available systems to do it with greater ease.

Videogames aren't on the same level of importance as, say, basic living conditions, but fairness
can
very much factor into situations which have nothing to do with competition.

Perceived unfairness as a result of afk farming and botting is a problem, whether you can find it written in the TOS or not.

Economics also disagrees. People who are gaining materials by not actively playing the game are most likely either using them, or selling them on the TP.

If they're using them, then they are not buying them off the TP. Buying them from the TP acts as a sink for materials lowering supply, however much. If they're selling them, then they are increasing supply. Since supply influences price, both actions lower (however much) the gold gained by others who (presumably) gained their materials by actively playing the game. The degree of impact is unknown, but the Drizzlewood farm has made a dramatic impact on prices of some materials, so the impact is unlikely to be zero. This makes it an issue of fairness.

If I were making the rules, inactive game-play would not be rewarded. Neither would tagging an event, thereby scaling it up, then flitting off to tag another, leaving others to complete the event against scaled-up opposition. While this is no more against the rules then semi-afk farming, both are taking advantages of systems put in to make players lives easier, to the detriment (again, however small) of others. Since I'm not making the rules, neither is likely to be addressed, however much some players don't like it and however bad it makes the game look.

The solution of requiring greater participation may seem unfair to those who arrive partway through an event. So, require greater participation, but being present for the end of the event and some participation would qualify. The players in question would just semi-afk farm at the last escort spawn point? Probably, so require escort participation to consist of doing damage to two of the three attacker spawns. This would at least require some movement on the part of the semi-afk player.

@kharmin.7683 said:Fairness can really only be an issue if there is something competitive. Open World is not competitive. No one is winning over anyone else. The entire premise of this being fair or not is irrelevant.

exactly ... the whole notion that OW if 'fair' is actually ridiculous ... how much an individual can play a game is a greater factor in that than anything else. That's not something Anet should want to control.