People are AFK-Botting at Drizzlewood to get unfair map participation / event rewards - [Merged]

Haven't spent a ton of time in the new map yet, but if afkers are impacting the meta event for other people it wouldnt surprise me if they did something to fix it eventually. They fixed the afk engi farm in Lake Doric that made it impossible to get on a map that wasn't player capped with a ton of afks, just do something similar.

@Ototo.3214 said:Haven't spent a ton of time in the new map yet, but if afkers are impacting the meta event for other people it wouldnt surprise me if they did something to fix it eventually. They fixed the afk engi farm in Lake Doric that made it impossible to get on a map that wasn't player capped with a ton of afks, just do something similar.

its not impacting it in a bad way, people are angry that they get nice rewards without doing anything.

@realviizz.4982 said:

@DaFishBob.6518 said:Have some dominion snipers spawn on the cliff faces near where these guys wait.

I wish that would work, sadly most of the time it's minion necros grouped up with revenants that run protection/regeneration. Even the snipers would probably have issues killing that.Personally I see it everytime I visit the map and it's always the same people/same guild.Luckily they might not hit a lot of mobs, since all the Necro seems to do is spam GS4 on cooldown, unless he's core, obviously.

I would have figured the snipers would drive the minions crazy though being impossible to hit while holding their attention.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:Haven't spent a ton of time in the new map yet, but if afkers are impacting the meta event for other people it wouldnt surprise me if they did something to fix it eventually. They fixed the afk engi farm in Lake Doric that made it impossible to get on a map that wasn't player capped with a ton of afks, just do something similar.

its not impacting it in a bad way, people are angry that they get nice rewards without doing anything.

Did you miss my post earlier about map instance populations and how afkers may be affecting it increasing difficulty of capturing objectives? I can't confirm if this is how map instancing and population grouping works as I am not a dev, but I suspect this is the case.

@Atomos.7593 said:

Did you miss my post earlier about map instance populations and how afkers may be affecting it increasing difficulty of capturing objectives? I can't confirm if this is how map instancing and population grouping works as I am not a dev, but I suspect this is the case.

Never seen map wide scaling in this game, if they are afk at dolly spots they are to far away to affect any other events mate.

thanks for the tips OP! so glad you posted!time to log on my necro.

yeah, you should just report them and move on,the only outcome of posting it here is advertising that everyone reading this can do nothing and get rewarded for it,don't be surprised if that group of AFKers grows, all thanks to your kind advertisement!

Needs to be a way we can report the constant afk farming at the start of Drizzlewood. Or change how the bull supply run doles out participation. Every map has 6-10 people camped at the start to get a tag as the bull passes and don't move from there the entire meta from start to finish.

@Umut.5471 said:These guys are afk-farming the supply caravan event by staying at this spot everyday. As I observed some of them are using bots/macros to automate the autoattack, some of them just use necro minions.Thus, when the event mobs spawn on them, they hit some of them and get participation from every Vloxen mine supply caravan by doing nothing.

Well, if the HIT SOME OFTHEM, they are doing something…

It's not against the TOS, as long as they are at their computer.

The best thing you can do is to report them, and let the Anet team check if they are really AFK or not.

@Linken.6345 said:

Never seen map wide scaling in this game, if they are afk at dolly spots they are to far away to affect any other events mate.

I don't know what you are talking about with map wide scaling. Have you somehow never seen the message to switch to a more populated version of the map when there are few players remaining on the current map (gives you volunteer's blessing effect when you switch)? You need enough dps to capture all the bases before the time limit expires otherwise you can never reach the meta event.

Why do people keep making excuses. Whoever decides to place an engi or necro at a certain spot, does that with the intention to leech and afk. And even if you are just doing homework or watching a movie. It's supposed to be against the rules, but nobody cares. Wait a few months when there will only be bots around and watch how this game will take a dump.

This is so sad. Because they apparently have time to clean up forum posts and such, but have no time to fly around a few maps and just mass ban everybody that is doing that. Afk or not.If I need to farm specific mobs for some drops, I can do that on any other class or spec. By choosing necro/engi/ranger you just show what your intentions are. (Unless you are actively moving around with your character and PLAYING the game.

I reported some people multiple times these last days. Just yesterday some guildmembers from [FRA] stood the whole damn day at malchors leap at the wood farm spot. No kidding. THE WHOLE DAY...
How is this okay? I would also rather go outside laying in the sun or go for a swim, but I was farming my mats "the hard way" ... while those people just afk and get rewarded... cool thing....

@"Mauzi.5892" said:Why do people keep making excuses. Whoever decides to place an engi or necro at a certain spot, does that with the intention to leech and afk. And even if you are just doing homework or watching a movie. It's supposed to be against the rules, but nobody cares. Wait a few months when there will only be bots around and watch how this game will take a dump.

This is so sad. Because they apparently have time to clean up forum posts and such, but have no time to fly around a few maps and just mass ban everybody that is doing that. Afk or not.If I need to farm specific mobs for some drops, I can do that on any other class or spec. By choosing necro/engi/ranger you just show what your intentions are. (Unless you are actively moving around with your character and PLAYING the game.

I reported some people multiple times these last days. Just yesterday some guildmembers from [FRA] stood the whole kitten day at malchors leap at the wood farm spot. No kidding. THE WHOLE DAY...

How is this okay? I would also rather go outside laying in the sun or go for a swim, but I was farming my mats "the hard way" ... while those people just afk and get rewarded... cool thing....

It's disappointing that this type of behaviour seems to be accepted by a lot of people in this game. I see many gold and mat farmers in other MMOs, but GW2 is definitely worse and seems particularly susceptible to this kind of problem because of the way that it is designed.

@Atomos.7593 said:

I don't know what you are talking about with map wide scaling. Have you somehow never seen the message to switch to a more populated version of the map when there are few players remaining on the current map (gives you volunteer's blessing effect when you switch)? You need enough dps to capture all the bases before the time limit expires otherwise you can never reach the meta event.

What do this got to do with afkers making it harder to capture points, thats what your first msg was about.I seen afew maps having trouble caping north west corner and thats main due to people not ccing.

If you get the pop up your map got to few people in it period so afkers are not a problem at all.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Mauzi.5892" said:It's supposed to be against the rules, but nobody cares.

Where is your proof that it is against the rules. If the player is checked by a GM, and responds, then they are not breaking any rules. Have you even read them?

Here you go:https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014185033-Policy-Unattended-Gameplay

Stop defending those leeches.

@Mauzi.5892 said:

@Mauzi.5892 said:It's supposed to be against the rules, but nobody cares.

Where is your proof that it is against the rules. If the player is checked by a GM, and responds, then they are not breaking any rules. Have you even read them?

Here you go:

The use of auto-casting abilities to farm while not at your computer or not actively playing the game.The use of a macro to automate character skills while not at your computer or not actively playing the game.The use of a macro to farm repeatable events or activities for rewards while not at your computer or not actively playing the game.The use of a third-party program to automate or create a “bot” that performs autonomous actions in the game.

So as long as they are at their computer and not using 3rd party programs its fine. How are afk farmers any different than people who only auto attack during events? If anything they are better than auto attackers because their build is designed to be effective without any player input.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Here you go:

The use of auto-casting abilities to farm while not at your computer or not actively playing the game.The use of a macro to automate character skills while not at your computer or not actively playing the game.The use of a macro to farm repeatable events or activities for rewards while not at your computer or not actively playing the game.The use of a third-party program to automate or create a “bot” that performs autonomous actions in the game.

So as long as they are at their computer and not using 3rd party programs its fine. How are afk farmers any different than people who only auto attack during events? If anything they are better than auto attackers because their build is designed to be effective without any player input.

Yup. The thing is you don't see thiefs or gaurds or revs sitting there as they would have to macro skills to get credit which is against the rules. Now Necros engies and hunters pets/minions/turrets auto attack to get credit. Now I believe this is a flaw in the system but it technically isn't botting. So as long as that guy with the necro is sitting near his computer doing homework reading a book w/e he's good. Because if you report and an anet guy whispers him all he has to do is be there and respond. If he doesn't he would get moved by the mod to see if his turrets were automatically reput up and that would be botting too a macro to put up turrets but a necro and hunter can't get caught as they auto attack under threat. Now I see these bots and I as a necro use spectral grasp the mobs away from the bots so I get credit and they don't but I'm not camping yaks just grabbing them in between events till I get 150 percent but otherwise nothing you can do.

@Linken.6345 said:

Everything is on a timer, so when there is a lot AFK botters it will make it hard to actually capture and do the group events where you need real players that can kill those bosses for caches etc. before map will reset.

Also in all Icebrood Saga maps there is the problem when map will close (doesn't happen in DWC as it instead just time out and reset) which then will force players to other instances of map. In short: bots do have an impact that are beyond farming Gold or mats.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Automation where player use outside tools to control character is against ToS in most MMOs. I would expect ANet is no different in that view. Players are expected to play the game in person and not use any kind of automation to gain progression. The AFK is actually for person have left keyboard (no input) and that way will not have any impact on others game play, will not gain any progression and is only limited to have a character on map (until player return to actively control player character). AFK farming is not being AFK in that sense, especially when use use a bot (software to control character).

Player that are being checked from GM through whispers can still be using bots, so it just one simple step from GM to eliminate that a player wasn't away from computer or did something that made character look like it was AFK when GM checked. There is more that a GM need to do that we don't know about before they decide to take action.

They are a plague, and an eyesore.They demonstrate how little Anet gives a shit. Second only to hackers in competitive modes.But, however much truth there is in that, they're pretty harmless really. I mean, how much do they really affect you? Really?Can't help thinking there are bigger issues to get your knickers twisted about atm.

"or not actively playing the game" means even doing homework and watching your screen is against the rules, since you are not actively playing.But let's be nice and let that one slide, as long as you instantly respond to a GM. thing is, that's a myth. I've never heard or seen somebody getting whispered by a GM for standing there.People use that as an excuse, saying they ARE actually playing in case somebody whispers me. Which is BS.

But still, let's count that one as the "grey-zone".What's not okay is when people are NOT anywhere near your computer. And that is the majority of the cases. I see the same people over and over the whole day at the same spot... ya, maybe they are there 12 hours every day... or maybe just maybe they logged into their afk char and went to school/work/whatever....Now which one seems more likely?

And this wouldn't even be a problem. Afk, not afk, unattended, inattentive... who cares. Just the appearance alone makes you look suspicious and maybe guilty. Just kick/ban those behavior in general and people will stop.

And please stop arguing the same lame excuses like they are actually at their pc or they are just doing something else meanwhile... the OP described the situation where you can clearly see that they target easy loot for zero effort. There is a difference between farming some mobs for a while in easy/lazy mode and having a dedicated character slot parked at well known mass-afk farm spots for hours and hours.

@"Umut.5471" said:gw044dkjii.jpg

These guys are afk-farming the supply caravan event by staying at this spot everyday. As I observed some of them are using bots/macros to automate the autoattack, some of them just use necro minions.Thus, when the event mobs spawn on them, they hit some of them and get participation from every Vloxen mine supply caravan by doing nothing.I have hidden their names by hiding the UI because it may be against forum rules.

My suggestion: These events are very open to this kind of abuse, a powerful legendary mob can spawn around and attack&kill people who stay in the same spot for prolonged periods then disappear.

Good think being fair has nothing to do with playing the game.