What's your most hated map in Guild Wars 2 so far and why?

@Ototo.3214 said:Hmm, not sure there's a map I'd really say I hate anymore. I use to hate Drytop and Bloodstone Fen, but the issues I had with them were alleviated by mounts existing.There are things I find annoying about some maps, like the amount of obnoxious mobs in HoT and PoF areas, stuff like the Spiderman mastery thing in Draconis Mons being picked up just by walking near it and overriding my weapons, or just somewhat negative associations with the map because of what I'm most likely doing if I'm going there, like spamming hearts in Vabbi for Funerary Incenses, but they don't bother me so much that I'd say I hate the map.

I hate that Oakheart mastery, I get it accidentally in Dragonfall as well. (Why aren't I doing damage, I'm sure I'm attacking, oh all my skills have disappeared apart from that damn 1 skill for Oakheart.)

@"TarkaPop.4685" said:Why would anybody 'hate' a map in a computer game? I think you are hating too easily. Look at the world, there are plenty of better things to hate! Poverty, War, covid, the whole Mirror Pension fiasco. Don't hate so easily folks, dislike possibly!

Yeah, you're right. Let's change the thread title to "What is the map you mildly dislike the most?" Now we're saving the world!

@Hesione.9412 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:Hmm, not sure there's a map I'd really say I
hate
anymore. I use to hate Drytop and Bloodstone Fen, but the issues I had with them were alleviated by mounts existing.There are things I find annoying about some maps, like the amount of obnoxious mobs in HoT and PoF areas, stuff like the Spiderman mastery thing in Draconis Mons being picked up just by walking near it and overriding my weapons, or just somewhat negative associations with the map because of what I'm most likely doing if I'm going there, like spamming hearts in Vabbi for Funerary Incenses, but they don't bother me so much that I'd say I hate the map.

I hate that Oakheart mastery, I get it accidentally in Dragonfall as well. (Why aren't I doing damage, I'm sure I'm attacking, oh all my skills have disappeared apart from that kitten 1 skill for Oakheart.)

This skill would be great if they'd unlock it as a mastery, get rid of the item you need to interact with, and rework it as a special action. Then we could spider-man all over the place!

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Alteron.3561 said:Probably Thunderhead peaks right now.. almost unplayable when you freeze and lag for minutes at a time through any events

Great to hear from others on this. I thought my internet connection was having problems.

Gotta lower your graphics. I have found that my computer can handle any map with low LOD and minimal animation graphics. It's all the visual noise bogging down your CPU.

The issue they speak of is a known problem in eu. It is not a gfx setting problem. Certain PoF and ls4 maps are currently unplayable for a wide range of playersNot just in eu anymore too, it's now here with thunderhead peaks being the worst and then sandswept isle for the s4 maps.. at least from what I've noticed.

@Croc.1978 said:

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:Bitterfrost frontier is pretty awful with the cold proc spam, amount of junk getting added to your inventory and the section that's pretty inaccessible without making that elixir.

Yes, but:
  • the mobs are harmless
  • its chestrun mechanic gives good loot
  • it has an easy-to-acquire LW3 map currency that will get you ascended rings, accessories, backpack and aquabreather

Easy or not I find it annoying.

I don't hate any of the maps, but here are some I'm not so keen on:

• Kessex Hills. I think Kryta is generally the blandest region in the game anyway, and it lacks the atmosphere it used to have in GW1. That said, Kessex Hills has some interesting features and was good on release, but now it's a total mess of Season 1 leftovers, which have no context, and feature the always implausible Toxic Alliance. I guess I dislike the current Lion's Arch for similar reasons, but at least that's sort of coherent.
  • Grothmar Valley. I don't understand why people seem to like it so much. There's basically no combat, and to me it feels like there are too few events spread over way too large an area. I guess the event schedules are supposed to help you find the events, but whenever I've checked them the next event listed is always at least 2 hours away. The map is big and empty, and it feels either unfinished or bugged.
  • I have mixed feelings about Verdant Brink. I think it's very well designed, but it's badly placed as the first HoT map. Exploring it is much too dependent on having unlocked gliding masteries, which you clearly won't have done when you first get there, or until you've played a decent chunk of HoT. As a result I just found it utterly frustrating when HoT was new, and even though I have all my gliding masteries unlocked now, I've never really warmed to it.

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:Dry Top

Dividing the map into segments that can only be accessed through a narrow tunnel in the cellar of a house or a small vine bridge may have worked well for the story, but it's just awful for playing on the map normally. Mounts have improved the situation a bit since you can now fly over many of the obstacles that made traversing these bottlenecks mandatory, but the bad impression has been there for years and won't go away that easily. I know there are waypoints, however a map that can only be traversed by waypointing may as well be multiple maps.

I know very well that back then (without mounts and without gliders) the game in general was a bit tedious but I really enjoyed it and oddly enough I prefer the old days. However you're right on the Drytop one but there are still aspect crystals to get around with. You weren't really relient on events if you knew about the crystals, where to find them and how to actually use them well.

@Kadsik.9281 said:All this thread showed me was that mounts just spoiled people. I miss running.....

Yeah, me too. This was the same problem with gliders when they were added to core Tyria as well. Everything got a bit easier but now with mounts it's a different story... I'm actually one of the players that prefered everything far before HoT

dragonsfall is my personal worst, the meta event is so dominant that any normal explorer can't get a bloody thing done without getting teleported back at the start.they should ether stop doing the whole teleport crap or have a choice of map so i can actually play this map in piece.

Tangled Depths but I'm not real fond of the icebrood saga maps. Both Bjora and Drizzlewood coast were good until they got expanded. Getting from first part to expanded is a pain. They need to put portals on both to take you from one part to the other. Dragon's Stand is annoying because of all the invisible walls in random places.

Dragonfall.

What's that you say? You don't have your Skyscale yet? Oh you sweet summer child, this map isn't for you. You were supposed to somehow get a skyscale before you got to where you can get a skyscale so then you'd have the skyscale so you could actually get around the This Map Is For Skyscale Riders map like you had any concern left for your last desperate vestiges of sanity.

The entirety of the Dragonfall map and every lovingly, painstakingly crafted pixel of it is carefully designed to make you hate everything about this game and want to light your entire computer on fire and launch it out of the cannon that killed Zhaitan at whomever did the level design for Dragonfall, and then slap whomever signed off on it with a cinder block, and then just backhand everyone that went 'THIS IS GOOD, LETS GO WITH THIS' along the developmental path.

That map has done more damage to my desire to continue playing this game than almost any other single thing I could name. It's a solid second place for thing I hate most about GW2 period, not just a map.

Here we go.

1. The Desolation - Tar pits, spiderwebs (I have a phobia towards webs, not spiders), canyon spiders that shoot web, annoying to traverse around, frustrating achievements (realm-portal spiker <.<), not much anything interesting going on. It does have a few good things, but... eh.
  2. Dry Top - Before mounts this map was a pain for me because I couldnt traverse through the spider cave. I also loathe geode farming, and dislike the boring environment in general. I am not all that into Zephyrites or Scarlet's history. The diving goggles achievement in this map is also brutal.
  3. Dredgehaunt Cliffs & Harathi Hinterlands - two very bland and meh maps for me. Other is full of centaurs, other full of... dredge.

• 2 years later...