All Hail Steve, Labyrinthine Horror

Bangan.5912

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Drako.4936 said:

@"Omar Aschi Popp.7496" said:Here is my question. Why are we arbitrarily picking named enemies to nickname?

Why not call Tequatl "John"?Why not Call Logan "Abernathy"?Why not call The Viscount "Chimmichanga"?

For what non attention-seeking purpose are we naming a skeketon "Steve/Dave/(lol)Fred"?!!!!!

Just call him Horror like a normal person.

OrbitalButt was spot on.

Yes, Chimmichanga...that's...it's so perfect for the Viscount. Next time I'm in the Lab, I'll run around saying "Oh noes, Viscount Chimmichanga is here" and the name will go down in history. Thank you, I have a purpose now :)

Just as bullshit as "steve". Nice sarcasm.

• 1 year later...

I know it as "Steve" from my first visit in the Labyrinth. So, it seems this is the oldest name.Also, I'm aware of the nickname he has - Colin =)

But, few days ago, one commander called her Jessica. This raised for the first time the problem of the gender. From its .... overal shape is very difficult to find the correct gender. Still, a lady using a chainsaw ... HM !

@"Cristalyan.5728" said:I know it as "Steve" from my first visit in the Labyrinth. So, it seems this is the oldest name.Also, I'm aware of the nickname he has - Colin =)

But, few days ago, one commander called her Jessica. This raised for the first time the problem of the gender. From its .... overal shape is very difficult to find the correct gender. Still, a lady using a chainsaw ... HM !

I thought the DSD was nicknamed Bubbles?

As for the Horror, I usually just call him Dad. Never heard the Steve thing either, but it’s a nice chuckle either way.

I call him Steve.

Though I didn't have to refer to him by name when I was running through the labyrinth this year, and he bullrushed me and almost immediately killed me. All I had to say over Discord to my friend, who knows full-well the horror of Steve, was "Look...it's our old friend....." Along with a screenshot of my sylvari getting smushed into plant paste.Her response: NOT THAT THING AGAIN :scream:

Also, funny thing - I was farming the labyrinth and was a bit bored, so I decided to listen to a Lord of the Rings audiobook and mute the game sounds. Now, this particular audiobook actually uses music and various sound effects from the movie trilogy - the overall effect is awesome. Listening to that while running the labyrinth worked out pretty well...until Steve came along...by coincidence right as the Nazgul started screaming. Those unearthly screams continued as Steve made a beeline straight for me. You can guess the outcome.So now I will forever associate the sight of a twenty-foot-tall chainsaw-wielding skeleton with the demonic shrieking of Nazgul.

@"Omar Aschi Popp.7496" said:Here is my question. Why are we arbitrarily picking named enemies to nickname?

Why not call Tequatl "John"?Why not Call Logan "Abernathy"?Why not call The Viscount "Chimmichanga"?

For what non attention-seeking purpose are we naming a skeketon "Steve/Dave/(lol)Fred"?!!!!!

Just call him Horror like a normal person.

OrbitalButt was spot on.

This is going to be a boring answer.

Nicknames are faster to type (and/or say). Steve is a better nickname than Horror because one can type 'Steve' with one hand on a standard QWERTY keyboard ('Horror' requires 2 hands or excessive movement of one hand, which slows things down and forces to lose control over the character if one uses a right-hand mouse for movements and basic skills).

Labyrinthine Horror = Steve.Viscount = Vic.Lich = Larry.

I am a NA player. My first main was about level 60 when the very first Halloween event and labyrinth came, and these names (or variants of them) have been around since then.

I have also heard them called "Larry, Darryl and Darryl", "Larry, Curly and Moe", and other names. So it's not entirely consistent. But "Steve" for the Lab Horror is certainly the most common nickname of all of them.

@Nightshade.2570 said:Hi, Aggie here, oddly strangely my guild (BOM) came up with the name Steve on their own for him the first year of Lab. We were running around and he popped up everywhere I went so they started caling him My Ex-Boyfriend Steve (it was a joke don't have an Ex named that). It stuck and we have perpetuated his name every year. Our posts date back about it on these boards. We are often commanding every night of the Lab during the busiest hours and so it widespread out to other groups.

So I don't know who was first but,think that confirms his name is Steve. Also, I like John for Tequatl.

I think I was there for that!Anyway, yeah it's Steve. Just look at the LFG window. People call him Steve there, too.

We have an elder dragon named Steve, and we know its actual name starts with an S. Even if the Labyrinthine Horror was nicknamed Steve first it would make more sense to change his nickname under the new circumstances. That, or come up with a new S name for the elder dragon. Naming them both Steve is too confusing.

I tend to address the LH as 'Ash' in honor of the Evil Dead series - to myself at least, if not to the public chat. Undead skeleton wielding a giant chainsaw....it just feels right. It just needs to use the chainsaw instead of a hand and drop a boomstick as loot and Ash would be perfect.