Are Macros ok?

Silverstone.4539

What is with a mouse that have a build-in button that triggers a double or triple mouse button click, not as macro, just as build-in feature? My gaming mouse has left to the left mouse button such a button that does a triple click. Nice to open bags or eat candy corn. As it is no macro, it should be allowed, shouldn't it?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Galmac.4680 said:What is with a mouse that have a build-in button that triggers a double or triple mouse button click, not as macro, just as build-in feature? My gaming mouse has left to the left mouse button such a button that does a triple click. Nice to open bags or eat candy corn. As it is no macro, it should be allowed, shouldn't it?

Unfortunately, auto-clickers are forbidden too.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

Macros

Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a one-to-one function protocol. This means the following:

• If you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions. For example, if you Press A and it results in the casting of a single skill, you're ok. If you Press A and it casts multiple spells, you're not ok.
  • You cannot program a macro to perform the same or multiple actions on more than one account at a time.
  • You cannot program an "auto-clicker" macro that, for instance, opens chests while you play elsewhere, or that opens a quantity of chests with a single click.NOTE: We make an exception for macros used for music composition or musical performances. As long as a player employs such a macro solely for the performance of in-game music, we do not place restrictions on its use.

I'm not OK with macros for a simple reason,

often times you get in the heat of the battle or you get surprised by a sneak attack and it can happen that you panic. Times like these prove whether you have skill and maintain focus by performing the right combination yourself, not let a third party app do it for you, which translates to you not directly interacting and can be considered cheating in this regard. That moment of how you respond determines the outcome of a battle. If programs are allowed to respond for us there is no point, because a human can easily screw up while a machine hardly does and this could be advantage for the attacker and should be - that's the moment of surprise.

With a macro it's hard to tell the skill level of a person.

On another note, requiring a macro for games where you control more than 10 actions / skills is fine. Games like WoW with too many spells I can understand, but people need macros for a game like GW2 with a few keys around? Says a lot.

I see there are a couple comparisons to WoW macros in this thread - I have quite some experience with those, and no, they are not similar to the things described.

• WoW makes a big thing of targetting. GW2 does not feel like it wants us to be able to easily acquire a target apart from clicking them, or getting lucky with the tab key. So that part of macros can be thrown out of the window.
  • Another thing, that relates to what I just said, are macros that change based upon the friendliness of a target. since there are no spells that target friendly targets in GW2, that portion can be thrown out as well.
  • You can't get rid of effects in gw2 by rightclicking them, another portion gets thrown out.
  • They specifically said, that they don't want us to cast more spells with a single stroke, another portion gone. I want to add that this was a minor issue in WoW, since most instant casts spells also triggered the holy global cooldown, and the spells that didn't were few and far between, mostly reactive stuff that you don't want to burn everytime you use your combo.

So basically the only good use we could get out of macros is the ability to type short sentences to make players aware of our actions, which should be better handled by voice chat anyway.

Why do we need macros again? And why was it worth to bring WoW macros into this?

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:apharma -- Posts are removed when they name and shame, either in text or through images. Posts about exploits are removed because, well, they may serve as a "tutorial on how to cheat" until the exploit is closed. Posts that share concerns about an issue generally are left intact as long as they don't harass and don't expose a temporary game vulnerability that we all, as players, should want to see fixed, not exploited for personal gain. If you have a concern about a removed thread you can drop an e-mail and I'll take a look to make sure it was properly handled. We honestly don't want to squelch such discussion, we just want to make sure the FCoC is being observed.

Yup I know about the name and shame rules and such I was drawing attention to that there’s a lot of high profile cheaters and exploiters who even record themselves doing it, get shown up on forums, but nothing is ever done or to be more exact we don’t
see
anything happen to them. The person from GH originally has been using the macro or 3rd party program for nearly a year and afaik is still playing with no repercussions that we’ve seen.

Like I say, we don’t see what happens, maybe a cheaters demise debuff for 2 weeks when an account is warned about their deliberate breaking of TOS but it isn’t enough to be an outright ban might help in allowing for players who play by the rules to see action is being taken.

So... essentially you want a public execution. Public shaming. That's what this is about? Getting some perverse satisfaction that someone is warned or banned?

Please.

I guess you don't work? You haven't seen an employee get disciplined, but your boss can't tell anyone that it's happened. HR would fire that employer.

And THIS is a game...,

At some point, you will see that public shaming isn't helpful.

Yet here we are at a point where people lose confidence in ANet and their ability to actually punish people ruining other people’s fun. Do you remember the infamous Blacktide hacker? I do, I remember a lot of match ups and being thankful every week we didn’t get matched up vs blacktide because of it. I also remember months and months of FoW and UW deliberately refusing to play because absolutely no action had been brought on this duo, only 1 account was publicly destroyed but there were in fact 2 of them doing it, with many threads in this forum and reddit showing them exploiting with nothing happening.

Don’t confuse wanting a system where we can actually see that action is being carried out against people playing unfairly with your extreme of public execution (oh the irony GW1 actually had that and it was one of the most celebrated aspects for some people) for a falsified claim of enjoyment. If you had ever worked a day in your life you would know that while you never see a disciplinary happening, you often see the outcome and the prelude, you also don’t see the cause of it going on for months and months in plain sight either.

This is a video game people play to enjoy, when they are not enjoying it because someone is breaking the rules it is ANets job to enforce the rules and demonstrate that rule breaking has consequences. Many do not see that happening.

I got accused of using "marcos" once because the guy looked at his combat log and it said "I hit him with pistol whip 8 times in a row and he knows that that skill has a cool down"

I think the real problem is that people a) don't understand what a macro is/does, and b) don't comprehend how certain mechanics or skills work so if they suddenly die from something then that person who killed them must have been cheating in some way and "macros" just happen to be the easiest buzz word to use when in reality they are just ignorant.

@apharma.3741 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:apharma -- Posts are removed when they name and shame, either in text or through images. Posts about exploits are removed because, well, they may serve as a "tutorial on how to cheat" until the exploit is closed. Posts that share concerns about an issue generally are left intact as long as they don't harass and don't expose a temporary game vulnerability that we all, as players, should want to see fixed, not exploited for personal gain. If you have a concern about a removed thread you can drop an e-mail and I'll take a look to make sure it was properly handled. We honestly don't want to squelch such discussion, we just want to make sure the FCoC is being observed.

Yup I know about the name and shame rules and such I was drawing attention to that there’s a lot of high profile cheaters and exploiters who even record themselves doing it, get shown up on forums, but nothing is ever done or to be more exact we don’t
see
anything happen to them. The person from GH originally has been using the macro or 3rd party program for nearly a year and afaik is still playing with no repercussions that we’ve seen.

Like I say, we don’t see what happens, maybe a cheaters demise debuff for 2 weeks when an account is warned about their deliberate breaking of TOS but it isn’t enough to be an outright ban might help in allowing for players who play by the rules to see action is being taken.

So... essentially you want a public execution. Public shaming. That's what this is about? Getting some perverse satisfaction that someone is warned or banned?

Please.

I guess you don't work? You haven't seen an employee get disciplined, but your boss can't tell anyone that it's happened. HR would fire that employer.

And THIS is a game...,

Yet here we are at a point where people lose confidence in ANet and their ability to actually punish people ruining other people’s fun. Do you remember the infamous Blacktide hacker? I do, I remember a lot of match ups and being thankful every week we didn’t get matched up vs blacktide because of it. I also remember months and months of FoW and UW deliberately refusing to play because absolutely no action had been brought on this duo, only 1 account was publicly destroyed but there were in fact 2 of them doing it, with many threads in this forum and reddit showing them exploiting with nothing happening.

Don’t confuse wanting a system where we can actually see that action is being carried out against people playing unfairly with your extreme of public execution (oh the irony GW1 actually had that and it was one of the most celebrated aspects for some people) for a falsified claim of enjoyment. If you had ever worked a day in your life you would know that while you never see a disciplinary happening, you often see the outcome and the prelude, you also don’t see the cause of it going on for months and months in plain sight either.

This is a video game people play to enjoy, when they are not enjoying it because someone is breaking the rules it is ANets job to enforce the rules and demonstrate that rule breaking has consequences. Many do not see that happening.

Again, you DONT see it happening. That doesn't mean it's not happening.

'Ever worked a day in my life.'

You might see the outcome if someone is termed, yes. But if you work at a company with an HR department worth its salt, you would never see that someone was disciplined short of termination or suspension. If you do, consider another place to work.

If someone is perm banned, you just won't see them come back. Otherwise, unless they tell you, (and I am sure they would (/s) then you wouldn't know either.

A-net has stated they aren't going to publicly shame anyone. They have stated the penalty for doing that if a player does it to another.

Have a good day.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

see

Please.

And THIS is a game...,

You might see the outcome if someone is termed, yes. But if you work at a company with an HR department worth its salt, you would never see that someone was disciplined short of termination or suspension. If you do, consider another place to work.

If someone is perm banned, you just won't see them come back. Otherwise, unless they tell you, (and I am sure they would (/s) then you wouldn't know either.

A-net has stated they aren't going to publicly shame anyone. They have stated the penalty for doing that if a player does it to another.

Have a good day.

While I agree with your sentiment and application of this practice in the real world, Strider, evidence suggests you are wrong here. I was under the same assumption as you a few years ago until proven wrong by ANET.

https://kotaku.com/hackers-mmo-character-publicly-stripped-killed-banne-1702670398

This is the "public execution" that apharma is referencing. The video was made by ANET, officially, then posted by an ANET employee on the official forums. You can probably still find it in the archive if you dig.

@Turk.5460 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

see

Please.

And THIS is a game...,

Have a good day.

While I agree with your sentiment and application of this practice in the real world, Strider, evidence suggests you are wrong here. I was under the same assumption as you a few years ago until proven wrong by ANET.

This is the "public execution" that apharma is referencing. The video was made by ANET, officially, then posted by an ANET employee on the official forums. You can probably still find it in the archive if you dig.

And I believe that was the one exception that proves the idiom: never say never.

But Emotes ...

" if you Press A and it results in the casting of a single skill, you're ok. "

So it should be possible to put emote commands on a single key, since they result in one single action and give no fighting advantage. like "/sitSometimes when I would like to make a emoticon on the wvw map to an other player, I have to pull out my command list, search for the proper command and when I'm done writing it the other player is already disappeared. For example sometimes you like to greet or salut or wink or so on. The use of emotes is highly depending on situations in a short moment and all the writing is just to much.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Turk.5460 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

see

Please.

And THIS is a game...,

Have a good day.

And I believe that was the one exception that proves the idiom: never say never.

@Turk.5460 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

see

Please.

And THIS is a game...,

Have a good day.

What about this then?

I guess you missed the part where they used to do it for the entire life of GW1. As I say, we should see that reporting people who genuinely and so obviously exploit is getting dealt with. Guessing you weren’t on any server affected by the blacktide hacker in the kotaku article above. I was and it made WvW frustrating and pointless for several servers for months as anything that got to T2 or higher was being teleported into and flipped, I remember a whole borderland being flipped in something like 20 minutes.

@apharma.3741 said:

@Turk.5460 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

see

Please.

And THIS is a game...,

Have a good day.

@Turk.5460 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

see

Please.

And THIS is a game...,

Have a good day.

What about this then?

I guess you missed the part where they used to do it for the entire life of GW1. As I say, we should see that reporting people who genuinely and so obviously exploit is getting dealt with. Guessing you weren’t on any server affected by the blacktide hacker in the kotaku article above. I was and it made WvW frustrating and pointless for several servers for months as anything that got to T2 or higher was being teleported into and flipped, I remember a whole borderland being flipped in something like 20 minutes.

Ok.. this isn't and hasn't been a shot at you. Honestly the frustration felt by these events are probably extremely high. Not going to argue that.

And GW1 is not GW 2. They are following a different pattern.

But placing these items in a public forum has been deemed to be a bad idea.

Good luck @apharma.3741 here is hoping you are not the victim of moremof these issues.

@Silverstone.4539 said:Because I get the feeling that every second thief I run into is using one, and sometime mes. That kitten feeling when you die before you can do anything or even get a skill off.

I had someone say macro or cheating when I hit him with a mes spamming powerspike he got mad and said you spam powerspike and then said the above. However the way I do it is by using a 12 button mouse if you dont have one its a huge disadvantage..

People here assume to much. Reporting people for using macros, yet there is no way on earth they could tell that from a gameplay perspective. Every combo is humanly possible to do. People here just seem to judge other based on their own mechanical skill lvl and has to get a clue of what some good players are capable of.

@syntohras.1064 said:There is so much hardware nowdays which gives advantages that skill is a joke itself. P2W i would say. The only Genre left where you really show your skill without any Makros/Or Asus Sonar what eva cheater crap is RTS.

Well for mmos in general I'd say a mouse with buttons is nearly required games like wow and rift have like 50 skills on the skillbar theres a reason razer naga called itself an mmo mouse, also rts is awesome specifically the age of series.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:It's funny they tell that macros are allowed but only one action and one button push. Technically that's not a macro. So macros are not allowed with the exception of musical instruments.

Try not to get too hung up on people using jargon imprecisely. Technically, a macro is any set of commands, whether it's one or several. We just think of binding individual keystrokes to a mouse as inherently different, but the mechanics are essentially the same.

The point ANet is trying to make is that we aren't allowed to shortcut a series of in-game actions by the use of a single key. Are they going to go after someone who keybinds, /p Come here, Watson, I need you to a their mouse #12 button? Almost certainly not; while against the rules, it won't have an impact on loot or competitiveness. (That might change of the person flaunted use of the macro publicly, though.)

There are some actions that are obviously against the rules, some that are obviously okay, and a very tiny handful that are borderline. If someone really isn't sure, the safest bet is to avoid it for themselves.

What ANet wants is for people to play the game, not to program their input devices to play it for them. For some reason, some people don't like that idea and try to push the definitions to excuse their choice to go against that concept.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:Shirlias -- you appear to be asking me to give approval for the use of a macro. I don't so that, sorry. I can't comment on the functionality you describe, and I can't give it an ArenaNet blessing. If you're requesting the development of such a macro, that's not something we would do. Thanks for understanding.

there actually a way to fix it and allow it, make skills have a delay between them or increase it, or make the game more single target :)like gw1 was..

@Kirin.7306 said:Mesmer 1 shot macro is scary.

DD ele had quite a easy burst macro on low cd aplication, altough before ANet nertf retaliation they would kill themselfves on guardians with alot of vitality, then ANet nerfed retaliation....They usually kill themselfves on the first burst since they could not stop the "basicly insta" my client would freeze then would recover with the DD ele on downed state...

i actually received pm's asking if i was cheating lol...

I still do not understand ANet's inability to publish metrics and general reasons for banning/suspensions. But of course, do not include names for the sake of shaming.But do communicate to the larger player base and convey that it is top of mind and taken seriously on a routine (systematic) basis. You could even add reported in game versus follow up emailed exploit report initial submissions versus ANet employee submitted to show how often a suspension/ban action is taken based on type of submission and how prevalent a type of reporting type is used.

I understand this is potentially additional headcount cost but customer service/GMs probably already have this data if ANet uses any type of case queue/account action reason codes. This also shows if something is broken internally on system reporting just based on volume. But more importantly, think of the marketing/PR and message you are sending to core loyal customer base ...

@Artaz.3819 said:I still do not understand ANet's inability to publish metrics and general reasons for banning/suspensions. But of course, do not include names for the sake of shaming.But do communicate to the larger player base and convey that it is top of mind and taken seriously on a routine (systematic) basis. You could even add reported in game versus follow up emailed exploit report initial submissions versus ANet employee submitted to show how often a suspension/ban action is taken based on type of submission and how prevalent a type of reporting type is used.

I understand this is potentially additional headcount cost but customer service/GMs probably already have this data if ANet uses any type of case queue/account action reason codes. This also shows if something is broken internally on system reporting just based on volume. But more importantly, think of the marketing/PR and message you are sending to core loyal customer base ...

Supposing they already have these stats, it'd be nice to publish them in, say, a quarterly basis. Like : "in the last 3 months, we banned XXX accounts for botting, YYY accounts for rude language, ZZZ accounts for... etc." It wouldn't interfere with their policy of "we don't say because it works by waves" because we don't know exact times and numbers, only the quarterly sum.

But it supposes they already have this data formalized, otherwise, it'll be too much of a hassle to compile.

• 7 months later...

@"ArmageddonAsh.6430" said:I dislike them a lot, I see a LOT of Mesmers that use them, Thieves as well.

I didn't realize this was a thing until someone accused me of using Macro's last night in PVP while playing as my Power Shatter Mes. I can see how it looks bad because Mes has alot of insta-cast abilities that CAN be cast at the same time without interrupting each other (Power Spike +Power Lock +Jaunt), but there is no need for macros when you can simply bind the 3x keys side by side and hit them all at once. Same goes for Mind Wrack + Mind Stab. In Short....this may "Look" like a macro user, but its not. Also, it IS balanced.....its just High-Risk/High-Reward glass cannon.

Archived