Are Macros ok?

Silverstone.4539

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

@Juba.8406 said:

@gebrechen.5643 said:Isn't macroing against the tos?

How can you proof that a player is using a macro ?

Even Anet can not get that proof.

Sure they can, they only need to look at your skill activation times vs keys pressed to determine if you are.

So i need to be under supervision first ? If so then it wont happen.

@Ubi.4136 said:

@Juba.8406 said:

When your combat log shows you being hit by 7 instant cast abilities in under 1 second...that's a macro.

Your combat log doesn't show seconds. Some people's perception of time is different than others, some people can press a bunch of buttons pretty quickly while people with arthritis and bad reaction time can't. I've had people claim I was using macros on d/p thief by simply pressing 5 and 2 right after each other, something any competent thief can do with ease. If it's instant cast you don't even need to queue skills up, you can quite literally press them all at ounce. It's like people can't comprehend that others are quicker and better at the game than them so they have to chalk it up to them cheating.

What's the macro sequence you are talking about for Thief and Mesmer specifically? If you don't document here and report it, ANet has nothing to go on/look for. Literally, list out each step, with step by step partial second sequence gaps (if any).

While I do believe it's happening, I also see plenty of pseudo-failures related to it (it makes players lazy and die often) not to mention the random lag factor that would screw it over.

@Artaz.3819 said:What's the macro sequence you are talking about for Thief and Mesmer specifically? If you don't document here and report it, ANet has nothing to go on/look for. Literally, list out each step, with step by step partial second sequence gaps (if any).

While I do believe it's happening, I also see plenty of pseudo-failures related to it (it makes players lazy and die often) not to mention the random lag factor that would screw it over.

Don't document it here, it's against the rules.

• ArenaNet Staff

I read this, sometimes. And I have yet to see where someone making what they believed to be a legitimate report was actioned, while someone else (the person they reported) was not punished at all. Sure, it makes for spicy reading and it forms the basis for a solid bit of conspiracy theory, but is it accurate? Not every report is acted upon. Not every report should be acted upon. But do we punish people for making a legitimate report? Not to my knowledge.

If this happened to you -- where you filed a legitimate report and received an infraction in response -- and where you were not using reports to harass players, obfuscate your own misdeeds, or game the system in ways that a gentle flower such as I might not divine -- send me your ticket number. I'll give it a read and if there's a problem, maybe we can correct it.

Right now, I'm inclined to say I've got the popcorn ready for some lively reading but I have a feeling it won't be forthcoming. ;)

@ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:The problem is NOTHING will ever be done about it. Look at the times where players have shown proof of people hacking and cheating and its the person that SHOWS it that gets into trouble...

Thanks for posting that. It's relevant and helpful.

@Blodeuyn.2751 said:Anet's policy:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/352/policy-third-party-programs-multi-boxing-macros#latest

In short:"MacrosGuild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a one-to-one function protocol. This means the following:

1. If you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions. For example, if you Press A and it results in the casting of a single skill, you're ok. If you Press A and it casts multiple spells, you're not ok.
  2. You cannot program a macro to perform the same or multiple actions on more than one account at a time.
  3. You cannot program an "auto-clicker" macro that, for instance, opens chests while you play elsewhere, or that opens a quantity of chests with a single click.
  4. NOTE: We make an exception for macros used for music composition or musical performances. As long as a player employs such a macro solely for the performance of in-game music, we do not place restrictions on its use."

@Honest John.4673 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:

@Juba.8406 said:

When your combat log shows you being hit by 7 instant cast abilities in under 1 second...that's a macro.

Your combat log doesn't show seconds. Some people's perception of time is different than others, some people can press a bunch of buttons pretty quickly while people with arthritis and bad reaction time can't. I've had people claim I was using macros on d/p thief by simply pressing 5 and 2 right after each other, something any competent thief can do with ease. If it's instant cast you don't even need to queue skills up, you can quite literally press them all at ounce. It's like people can't comprehend that others are quicker and better at the game than them so they have to chalk it up to them cheating.

I've had a couple send me salty whispers accusing me of the same. But then I find out it's the same players who accuses by whisper all the time. They become memes after a while. A lot of gamers don't really grasp there's people who are on another level of speed at certain games than them. Or that others might have well thought out keybinds and muscle memory with that profession built up over years and 1000s of hours. Imo it's not cool, and in most cases I bet disingenuous to clog up the report system telling on everyone who is faster than you or does something you can't do. It takes away from time Anet could find players actually cheating. Plus, it just doesn't seem like gw2 pvp combat is well suited to macros. So many variables and axis'. Idk though, maybe it's happening on a large scale like a few in here think, but I doubt it.

@Junkpile.7439 said:People who come tell about their faster fingers and awesome keybinds don't even know what macro burst looks like. Even if you are world fastest button smasher you are still frigging slow compared macro.

Cast time and after cast is not mitigated by macros. In fact, macros may hurt more than help because some skill combos do not 'queue' well with others. You would really need a fine tuned macro to account for this and at that point a skilled player can easily compete against macros.

@Silverstone.4539 said:ok, so it's not ok, how do I report this? there I no "report cheat" or "report macro user" options in the report options?

Maybe don't report mesmers just because you suck at dodging? I can easily 100 to 10 most people in a 1v1 in a few seconds if they don't dodge my initial bursts. Just because people are better at rotations than you doesn't mean they are cheating.

@Esprit Dumort.3109 said:

@Junkpile.7439 said:People who come tell about their faster fingers and awesome keybinds don't even know what macro burst looks like. Even if you are world fastest button smasher you are still frigging slow compared macro.

Cast time and after cast is not mitigated by macros. In fact, macros may hurt more than help because some skill combos do not 'queue' well with others. You would really need a fine tuned macro to account for this and at that point a skilled player can easily compete against macros.Sure you can compete, but If you don't need to move fingers off wasd when you make burst that already give you advantage. Sure macros that use many skills probably won't work in WvW because of lag, but bad player can compensate easily lack of skill by making simple couple skill burst macros.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:I read this, sometimes. And I have yet to see where someone making what they believed to be a legitimate report was actioned, while someone else (the person they reported) was not punished at all. Sure, it makes for spicy reading and it forms the basis for a solid bit of conspiracy theory, but is it accurate? Not every report is acted upon. Not every report should be acted upon. But do we punish people for making a legitimate report? Not to my knowledge.

If this happened to you -- where you filed a legitimate report and received an infraction in response -- and where you were not using reports to harass players, obfuscate your own misdeeds, or game the system in ways that a gentle flower such as I might not divine -- send me your ticket number. I'll give it a read and if there's a problem, maybe we can correct it.

Right now, I'm inclined to say I've got the popcorn ready for some lively reading but I have a feeling it won't be forthcoming. ;)

@ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:The problem is NOTHING will ever be done about it. Look at the times where players have shown proof of people hacking and cheating and its the person that SHOWS it that gets into trouble...

@Blodeuyn.2751 said:Anet's policy:

In short:"MacrosGuild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a one-to-one function protocol. This means the following:
  1. If you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions. For example, if you Press A and it results in the casting of a single skill, you're ok. If you Press A and it casts multiple spells, you're not ok.
  2. You cannot program a macro to perform the same or multiple actions on more than one account at a time.
  3. You cannot program an "auto-clicker" macro that, for instance, opens chests while you play elsewhere, or that opens a quantity of chests with a single click.
  4. NOTE: We make an exception for macros used for music composition or musical performances. As long as a player employs such a macro solely for the performance of in-game music, we do not place restrictions on its use."

Gaile, a word about macro for candy gobbler?

I know that ins't necessarily wvw related, but since the discussion is about macros, by any chances could be a click/pause macro been considered like the ones for musical performances ( and i think you mean musical performance which does not allow players to require "tips" for playing, cause it would be an advantage from macros, right? )

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:I read this, sometimes. And I have yet to see where someone making what they believed to be a legitimate report was actioned, while someone else (the person they reported) was not punished at all. Sure, it makes for spicy reading and it forms the basis for a solid bit of conspiracy theory, but is it accurate? Not every report is acted upon. Not every report should be acted upon. But do we punish people for making a legitimate report? Not to my knowledge.

@Blodeuyn.2751 said:Anet's policy:

It’s hard to comment on or claim action has been taken when posts about players not only breaking TOS but also streaming it are then deleted and then those same people are still stream, still making videos etc.

A high profile thief player originally from Gunnars Hold, streams and is blatantly obviously using a macro or 3rd party program to change from bounding dodger to unhindered combatant trait when leaving combat and back again before entering combat and this is so fast no human can do it that accurately. Post gets deleted because it shows the name, nothing is done.

Some mesmer players, one well known youtuber, also use macros, you can tell because when they use mind stab you can see the AoE circle flashing several times in the same micro second.

No one is asking for permaban and a video of them being banned but we aren’t privy to the warnings, if any are being sent and only see them continuing what they’re doing. Perhaps if people that did these unscrupulous things had an in game mark of shame for a week or two after receiving formal warnings players would know these offences are actually being looked at and sorted out.

i got accused several times on whisper or mail for cheating and using 3rd party software but always from people that i was certain have absolutly no clue about the class that i am playing or the way i am playing it. i would like to explain to these people what they dont seem to understand but they mostly put me onto their blocklist really fast in rage.

i personally do think a macro will make me a worse player, especially on my thief as the opponent will know the macro after 2-3 fights and then i would be too predictable if i rely on it. i dont know about you but i tend to remember my opponents even after weeks, helps alot if you know who is going to die fast or who is going to help their mates.

i have never reported one for macroing cause i really dont know how you can tell they are, unless they are playing music :Dif they use skills very fast it could be practise, if they always use the same rotation no matter what you do they might just be stupid.

@Ghotistyx.6942 said:

@ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:The problem is NOTHING will ever be done about it. Look at the times where players have shown proof of people hacking and cheating and its the person that SHOWS it that gets into trouble...Thanks for posting that. It's relevant and helpful.

I don't know if this reply is saucy or not.

It's not, - Gaile is replying above each quote to make it easier for the carousel dev tracker above to show what she writes, not what is quoted (i had a double take too)

Archived