Okay, credit where credit is due

Grand Marshal.4098

No need to wonder if Canach is dead! What a pleasant return aye? I still have to play the entire story of the chapter, buuuut, I really wanted to share my excitement about this and how I applaud the team for using such a good character like him.

P.S. I guess they still try to give us the idea of Jormag being a friend and not evil, but yeah, not buying it. Have fun playing this little bit of content guys!

@Adzekul.3104 said:I wasn't so keen on the voice acting change. Canach lost that spark that makes his humour/attitude so quirky-funny. I did not get the impression it was the writing of his dialog; it was the sublties of his voice.I know Mat Mercer is trying his best, but I don't think he can pull that Snobby Bender. By the looks of it Anet was able to make a set up with mostly the Critical Role guys, but it is fine I guess since the whole pandemic shit show .

I'm a big Mercer fan, and I think he did a good enough job trying to fit the original voice. I agree, however, that the Mercer version is still missing something of the pure richness of cynicism and wit of the DiMaggio version. It feels like a somewhat lower cholesterol version, if that makes sense lol.

Overall though, Balance has finally convinced me that there at least was potential for DRMs and Champions as a whole to be much better than they've turned out so far. That is a huge achievement, given how I absolutely loathed Champions from the beginning. It also gives me hope that ANet can pleasantly surprise me with EoD as well.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:I'm a big Mercer fan, and I think he did a good enough job trying to fit the original voice. I agree, however, that the Mercer version is still missing something of the pure richness of cynicism and wit of the DiMaggio version. It feels like a somewhat lower cholesterol version, if that makes sense lol.

Overall though, Balance has finally convinced me that there at least was potential for DRMs and Champions as a whole to be much better than they've turned out so far. That is a huge achievement, given how I absolutely loathed Champions from the beginning. It also gives me hope that ANet can pleasantly surprise me with EoD as well.

Yeah the cynicism and wit is missing, that was the soul of Canach. While the new voice actor DOES nail down the rhythm and cadence of Canach I cannot help but hear it as Lord Faren doing a Canach impersonation.

I do like new Tengu NPC, just not the clicking that happens when she talks...

Taking over Canach was never going to be easy. I don't envy the comparisons Mercer will have to deal with forever. I think it's perfectly acceptable to mourn the loss of DiMaggio's talent, but it's better to recast the VA than just hide Canach off screen forever.