Suggestion: More Portal Tomes - [Merged]

There should be more portal tomes in game:Portal tome and teleportation scrolls for expansion core maps (like Crystal Oasis).Tome for lounge passes where we can save them (f.e. Mystlock Sanctuary and Lily of the Elon, in one tome).Of course these should not be free. Portal tomes for core expansion maps can cost the same as they do for living world season maps, and lounge pass tome should cost a bit more, probably sold for gems.

There are still waypoints. And the maps do not save that much money - unless you are poor and port around regularly over long distances. On the other hand they are less convenient: I prefer to directly port to a specific WP instead of using the tome/scroll first when I might want to go to another place far away from the one where the scroll takes you.

The main use seems to be for characters that do not want to play the story chapter .... to get them access to the map. (Here already other options exist: TP to friend for example.) The question ist: Would additional tomes be useful then? Yes for Crystal Oasis maybe. (On the other hand: Story is pretty short.) But not for the other ones where it aleady was intended to go there normally (moving from the previous map).

But yes: For the lounges I might actually buy some of the passes (not only 1) ... if there was a tome for them. To save space.And for I'd prefer if the regular map access (for people that did the story at least once on 1 char) got unlocked for certain maps that there were meant to connect to each other. (From Fields of Ruin I think some locke Gate into the Crystal Desert where there is space for more maps in between.)

I'd prefer just 1 portal tome which can hold all the different types of portals. You'd still have to obtain each one to be able to use it, but they wouldn't take up separate bank or inventory slots.

That's what puts me off getting the majority of portals. It's not useful enough to justify taking up space in a shared inventory slot and not worth the hassle of going back to the bank to get it, so I just don't use them.

Back in 2018 I created a Pass Tome Thread with the following thoughts:

"Portal Tome for Season 3 holding all the Season 3 Portal Scrolls.Check.

Portal Tome for Season 4 holding all the Season 4 Portal Scrolls.Check.

Pass Tome for holding all the Gemstore Passes .Haven't seen this yet. Don't know why. Obviously, people enjoy the economy of space that Portal Tomes provide (and they are bought with specific in-game currencies).

A Pass Tome could be a Gemstore item so there is the distinct possibility of additional real world income for Anet just with this item, as well as it being convenient for players (QoL improvement).

Additionally, it would encourage players to have more than one pass (additional possibility of real world income for Anet, also convenient for players).

It could be tabbed with a tab for permanent passes, a tab for 2-week/temporary passes, and a tab for portal stones (convenient for players).

The temporary pass tab could have the ability to add a temporary pass directly - like buying extra bank tabs or bag slots (additional possibility of real world income for Anet AND convenient for players).

The tab for portal stones (e.g. Hall of Monuments Portal Stone and Exalted Portal Stone) would allow players to save space, provide another selling point for a Pass Tome, and encourage the use of Portal Stones for future instances. I realize that this tab is really reaching - especially since one is account bound and the other soul bound. However, there is no harm in asking - the worst that can happen is nothing.

Players save space and have more options. Anet gets paid. Win-win situation."

Additionally, tabs might be added to allow Portal Tomes to be incorporated. This would be a huge space savings for players as we now also have the Ice Brood Saga Tome - further incentive for players to spend GEMS in Gem Store.

Just think of it, ALL passes/portals/portal stones in one convenient slot.

@"Kyrios.8736" said:There should be more portal tomes in game:Portal tome and teleportation scrolls for expansion core maps (like Crystal Oasis).Tome for lounge passes where we can save them (f.e. Mystlock Sanctuary and Lily of the Elon, in one tome).Of course these should not be free. Portal tomes for core expansion maps can cost the same as they do for living world season maps, and lounge pass tome should cost a bit more, probably sold for gems.

If it's about unlocking maps on alt-chars, then for PoF you do that "backwards" starting from the last one.There's a portal to griffon sanctuary > from there you should have automatically unlocked first WP on the Vabbi map, so you tp to the waypoint there > now you can go back to the desolation map through nearby portal > the moment you enter desolation, the first WP of the map gets unlocked (and visible on your map) > wp there > walk through portal to Riverlands > that unlocks first wp of the map > tp > walk to crystal oasis > that should also unlock the WP in the amnoon, which is the first wp of the map.To unlock desert higlands, you might need to mount up and run tho.

• Confused 1

fellow Elitist here, not your average casual, writing my first forum post for Guild Wars 2It should be made by crafting or by 2000 gems. Some of you don't know, but when you travel alot and have every map and content unlocked. Having portal scrolls is super helpful. But the annoying part is having an entire 20 slot bag filled with portal scrolls. We need 1 Tome for every scroll out there.

@Aesion.3471 said:fellow Elitist here, not your average casual, writing my first forum post for Guild Wars 2It should be made by crafting or by 2000 gems. Some of you don't know, but when you travel alot and have every map and content unlocked. Having portal scrolls is super helpful. But the annoying part is having an entire 20 slot bag filled with portal scrolls. We need 1 Tome for every scroll out there.

LS3, LS4, and LS5 each have their own tomes for the portal scrolls. I would argue that the city scrolls should probably get a tome assuming players even use them.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:LS3, LS4, and LS5 each have their own tomes for the portal scrolls.

While it would take up more time to select your destination if there was one collective tome for all portal scrolls out there, it would inarguably save us a lot of inventory/bank space.

Yeah.. two whole inventory slots. Three if the city portals got a tome.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:LS3, LS4, and LS5 each have their own tomes for the portal scrolls.

While it would take up more time to select your destination if there was one collective tome for all portal scrolls out there, it would inarguably save us a lot of inventory/bank space.

The OP was talking about one single tome for all the portal scrolls that we have in-game.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

The OP was talking about
one
single tome for
all
the portal scrolls that we have in-game.

And it's misleading to count all of the portal scrolls individually which already have their own tome.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:What could be nice for the tomes is a better UI.

One thing I just thought about would be the option to use the scrolls functionality from the world map although I haven't thought beyond that as to how it would look, function, and such.

Or there could be an option to “add tome to map” which would consume the scroll and put it on the map. Another option would be to allow portal to a specific map via special icon on map as long as the tome was in your inventory or bank space. So you could throw them in bank and forget about them. Switch to map and you can easily port via special icon.