Low Population

Yannsen.9736

I'm a bit worried by the very low population. I was on a tourny a few minutes ago (5:15pm Est Lyssa on a Sunday afternoon) and there were 10 teams enrolled in the tournament = 40 players. 

40 players willing to play serious pvp on a Sunday afternoon. This is just an example.

I wish there are some real thoughts to increase the population. Otherwise it's on the path of death.

Some ideas?

- maybe gather EU and NA also. Even though time zones are different. But at least the base population would be gathered and could find some common time slots..

- maybe also add some incentive to pvp

- or change the elo system who's not adapted any more for such a low population.

- update (not re-develop) the queuing engine which cannot work properly any more. mid gold players are teamed vs or with top players and it's frustrating for both.

- In addition, top players are just managing their decay and must be frustrated to always fight each other. Grouping with EU would be a good way for them to have new challenges and mechanically increase the population.

I don't know, but I wish there were really some tangible thoughts and means to re-activate the pvp population.

• Like 4

It's called new game mode and appropriate balancing. Aoe spam on a node is degenerate, and even that's not balanced properly. There's also too much spam, both boons and condis. They just added ANOTHER boon into the game. Anyone who takes PvP seriously is really turned off by this game. 

2v2/3v3 is a joke, because Conquest "balance" doesn't apply at all. Personally I'm just tired AF of Conquest and if they don't spice up spvp and WvW somehow I simply won't be buying EoD. This game is on life support until then.

Have a look at Lost Ark. PvP looks a lot more enjoyable and balanced, and the game is hopefully releasing this year in the West. It's huge in Korea.

• Like 4

We're in an off-season so population will be a little bit lower to boot, but a lot of dedicated PvPers have been getting burnt out lately. The last meta was (imo) the 2nd worst meta since launch and even with some balance shake ups there's just not much to look forward to before the expansion. It doesn't help that 2v2 in plat+ is not even remotely fun if you're playing for rating so there's really nothing to do right now, people are taking a break.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eksn.7264 said:

We're in an off-season so population will be a little bit lower to boot, but a lot of dedicated PvPers have been getting burnt out lately. The last meta was (imo) the 2nd worst meta since launch and even with some balance shake ups there's just not much to look forward to before the expansion. It doesn't help that 2v2 in plat+ is not even remotely fun if you're playing for rating so there's really nothing to do right now, people are taking a break.

You can see that the game got a huge boost in playerbase in the recent month due to summer starting and kids being able to play a lot more.

If anything the population should be increasing across the board.

The fact that PVP is shrinking while the rest of the game gets increases population is a bad sign.

https://mmo-population.com/r/guildwars2

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There are many good and bad reasons why at the moment population is low. But the fact is there: population is low and this is true for ATs, unranked and ranked whatever the moment is (during the season, off season, pve events, wvw events, etc.).

Unless I missed something, the sad piece is I don't see any serious attempts to have this solved just like the ones I could identify.

17 hours ago, ellesee.8297 said:

AT isnt serious pvp. It's like 4-10 good players stacked on a team or two farming 500-50 games for mystic coins.

Even for these guys it must be boring since they have been the same for many years. There are the ambassadors and should push for changes I hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yannsen.9736 said:

Even for these guys it must be boring since they have been the same for many years. There are the ambassadors and should push for changes I hope.

The problem is most of these "ambassadors" have no interest in actually helping the game be more competitive. More competition means more good players, more good players means these "ambassadors" won't get all the attention anymore so their egos are threatened. Don't get me wrong, there are many great people in the community, but more often than not the ones that get the most attention are the bad apples who end up hurting the scene as a whole.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, eksn.7264 said:

The problem is most of these "ambassadors" have no interest in actually helping the game be more competitive. More competition means more good players, more good players means these "ambassadors" won't get all the attention anymore so their egos are threatened. Don't get me wrong, there are many great people in the community, but more often than not the ones that get the most attention are the bad apples who end up hurting the scene as a whole.

I could understand such type of behavior if we were talking of a major esport game with tons of money and politics at stake.  But in that case, it's like being the king of the mountain alone in the middle of an empty land ... #feelsbad 

My feeling is really about 'an emergency for pvp survival'.

In NA (which is Americas actually since there are lots of players from south America), there must be 300 plat players. If you add to this maybe 500 g3 + etc. Whatever the result is, it's nothing. It's ridiculous.

GW2 is unique and awesome with it's kind of combat playstyle. It deserves a much bigger pvp community! 

15 hours ago, Kickpuncher.8109 said:

You can see that the game got a huge boost in playerbase in the recent month due to summer starting and kids being able to play a lot more.

If anything the population should be increasing across the board.

The fact that PVP is shrinking while the rest of the game gets increases population is a bad sign.

https://mmo-population.com/r/guildwars2

I fully agree! 😪

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 9:17 PM, Yannsen.9736 said:

I could understand such type of behavior if we were talking of a major esport game with tons of money and politics at stake.  But in that case, it's like being the king of the mountain alone in the middle of an empty land ... #feelsbad 

My feeling is really about 'an emergency for pvp survival'.

In NA (which is Americas actually since there are lots of players from south America), there must be 300 plat players. If you add to this maybe 500 g3 + etc. Whatever the result is, it's nothing. It's ridiculous.

GW2 is unique and awesome with it's kind of combat playstyle. It deserves a much bigger pvp community! 

That moment when you realize the top 100 is actually 20 to 30 individuals who play alts.

That moment when you realize top 100-250 isn't much different.

That moment when you realize 50% of the population G1 and lower are all bots.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

That moment when you realize the top 100 is actually 20 to 30 individuals who play alts.

That moment when you realize top 100-250 isn't much different.

That moment when you realize 50% of the population G1 and lower are all bots.

That moment you realize it's urgent to do something, right?

1 hour ago, Yannsen.9736 said:

That moment you realize it's urgent to do something, right?

That moment when you realize Arenanet changed their TOS from: "We promise to ensure a fair & competitive environment for everyone" to "Arenanet has the right to take any action or no action based on reports and doesn't need to explain why"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

That moment when you realize Arenanet changed their TOS from: "We promise to ensure a fair & competitive environment for everyone" to "Arenanet has the right to take any action or no action based on reports and doesn't need to explain why"

Remember when they instabanned people for making a little profit from a gold loophole that was their fault in the first place? I wish they cared that much about PvP...

I mean why WOULD anyone choose gw2 PvP over another game?

Sure, fun is subjective.

But given the low population i think the answer is pretty clear:

Its just not fun.

The game has many extremly unfun mechanics, bad balance which often promotes extremly uninteractive builds/playstyles, relatively rare updates/events for PvP, awful matchmaking (in parts obviously due to the already low population) and a pretty steep learning curve for beginners (at least in my opinion) .

Oh and as a bonus you obviously get the typical toxicity of PvP  (especially great if  such behavior is shown by "ambassadors" lol).

So why wouldn't people just go play something else or invest there time into something worthwhile?

Edited by Casualconnoisseur.5936
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Casualconnoisseur.5936 said:

Sure, fun is subjective.

Its just not fun.

The game has many extremly unfun mechanics, bad balance which often promotes extremly uninteractive builds/playstyles, relatively rare updates/events for PvP, awful matchmaking (in parts obviously due to the already low population) and a pretty steep learning curve for beginners (at least in my opinion) .

Oh and as a bonus you obviously get the typical toxicity of PvP  (especially great if  such behavior is shown by "ambassadors" lol).

So why wouldn't people just go play something else or invest there time into something worthwhile?

Because:

1. If people want to play a mmorpg, gw2 has the closest thing to balanced pvp and it has the best pvp for a mmorpg,

2. Gw2 respects your time much much more than the other big mmos and its very casual friendly.

3.the class design and the combat system are very dynamic and interactive.

4.Good amount of build divirsity and different mechanics which makes the pvp more engaging and interesting.

Fun and unfun are subjective so please dont use them as argument because what is fun for you might be unfun for someone else and the opposite.

Have a great day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Casualconnoisseur.5936 said:

Sure, fun is subjective.

Its just not fun.

Wowwww typing a lengthy post on a forum of such an unfun game huh? If u find it unfun, please go play something else... Don't try to push others away from the game they love... Maybe PvP and balancing might need a hard lookinto by anet but that doesn't mean gw2 as a whole is unfun

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

Wowwww typing a lengthy post on a forum of such an unfun game huh? If u find it unfun, please go play something else... Don't try to push others away from the game they love... Maybe PvP and balancing might need a hard lookinto by anet but that doesn't mean gw2 as a whole is unfun

Indeed